Accidents

Lock and Key

-Nari's POV-

One month, two months, then we were finally out of school and on summer holidays.

“What shall we do today?” Seungcheol asked us as we wandered around a park.

“Let’s just relax today,” I said and we all agreed that was a perfect idea. We stopped under a tree, sitting and letting the cool breeze rustle the branches and our hair. I felt a hand on my leg and looked to see Wonwoo.

“So your skirt won’t fly up,” he said.

“Ooh!” Seungkwan, Seokmin, and Hoshi all struggled to sit next to me.

“So does our Wonwoo like our Nari?” Jun teased as we both went red.

“It’s not like that!” I said as Wonwoo nodded hurriedly.

As we continued to endure the teasing, I saw Yubin and Mingyu walking away. I got up, making up a quick excuse, and followed them. They stopped and entered a small alleyway near a convenience store. I stopped myself at the corner, jumping from shock when I heard someone punch the wall next to me.

“You’ll hurt yourself. What will Nari say when she sees that?” Yubin's calm voice said. I heard Mingyu sigh.

“I just can’t stand it sometimes,” he said, frustration in his voice.

“You’re not acting quickly enough,” Yubin said.

“What am I supposed to do? You told me she’s hard to open up. But with Wonwoo—” he stopped himself.

“She did tell me he was close to her ideal type,” Yubin said.

“You’re not making this any better,” Mingyu sighed. “I should bandage this up before Nari sees.”

I suddenly realized the position I was in and quickly entered the convenience shop next to me, pretending to do some shopping. Mingyu and Yubin entered as I looked up from the ice cream selection.

“Yubin! Mingyu!” I acted surprised to see them. I looked down at Mingyu's hand and faked a huge gasp. “What happened to your hand Mingyu?”

I took it and I saw him flush, withdrawing his hand away.

“I just fell, that’s all,” he said. “What are you doing in here anyway?”

I pointed at the ice creams. “Just something for us to eat while we relax.”

As Yubin helped me choose the ice creams, Mingyu bought himself a first aid kit. Yubin and I split the bill on the ice creams, and I took up Mingyu's hand again as Yubin walked in front of us, swinging the bag of ice cream lazily. I examined his hand, which was half covered in dry blood.

“What did you really do Mingyu? Something as bad as this couldn’t have happened from a fall.”

He put his hand away but I held on.

“I was afraid of seeing your worried face if you saw me like this,” he admitted, letting me clean up his hand. As I carefully wrapped his hand up, I caught him looking at me and looked back down, my focus on my work gone. I ended up looking back up at him and we stared at each other until Yubin's voice cut in.

“Oi, the ice cream is gonna melt if we don’t hurry up,” he called out. I quickly packed up the kit and we continued walking, meeting up with the rest of the members, who pounced on the ice cream. We enjoyed the rest of the day with each other’s company and headed home after.

“I’ll cook today,” I said, entering the kitchen.

“I’ll help,” Mingyu came in too.

“I’ll leave you to it then. Make it good!” Yubin went upstairs.

As I fried some meat on the pan, a bit of oil splashed out and hit my hand.

“Ouch,” I said quietly, hoping Mingyu wouldn’t hear me over the chopping of his vegetables. He did, however, and rushed to my side immediately.

“What happened?”

“It’s nothing, I just got hit with a drop of oil from the pan, nothing serious,” I said, trying to shoo him away. He took my hand like I did with his, examined it, and declared it fine, going back to his vegetables. I made sure the meat was cooked before setting it on the table and helped boil the vegetables, this time, a drop of hot water hitting my hand. A repeat of the same thing happened and dinner was ready. Yubin came down happily as Mingyu called him and we sat down at the table.

“Anything happen while I was gone?” he looked at the both of us with raised eyebrows.

“Nope, not really,” I said. He looked disappointed but took something out of his pocket, putting them down on the table.

“What’s that?” Mingyu and I both asked.

“It’s tickets for ice skating tomorrow. I was planning to go with Nari but the members called me in for something so I’ll leave them in your hands,” Yubin explained, sliding one ticket over to both of us. I looked over at Mingyu, who was staring intently at the ticket as he ate and couldn’t help but smile a bit.

The next day, Mingyu and I dressed warmly for the indoor ice rink.

“You sure you don’t wanna come?” I asked Yubin for the nth time. He nodded.

“Go have some fun. Take lots of photos too!” he shoved us out the door. Mingyu and I walked to the bus stop but we got off at a different stop.

“Why are we here?” I asked, following his lead.

“Well,” he said, leading me into a car rental shop. “I actually got my driver’s license a few weeks ago.”

“Really?” my eyes went wide as he picked up a set of keys from the front desk. We were led to a small and simple white car, perfect for 2 people. We thanked the man and Mingyu unlocked the car, opening the door for me and making sure my feet were inside completely before closing the door and running to the driver’s side. He started the engine and we were on the way to the rink. He parked like an expert, making sure he was within the lines, unbuckled his seatbelt and mine, got out of the car quickly, and opened my door for me.

“You’re such a gentleman today,” I said as we walked.

“Joshua would be proud,” he said, opening the door for me. We gave the lady our tickets and laced up our skates. Standing up confidently, I walked up to the ice and carefully stepped on, Mingyu right behind me. He grabbed my shoulders to gain balance as I shook my head, carefully leading us around for a few circles until he was able to let go of me. He grabbed my hand and as I sent him a look, just shrugged.

“Your hands are cold. Just warming you up.”

He suddenly slipped, taking me down with him. I ended up underneath him, my back straight on the ice as he hovered above me, our eyes meeting in a stare. I saw something fall from his neck and dangle in front of me. Curious, I touched it, and saw it was a key. A key? I looked at him again and he managed to roll himself onto the side, taking the key with him. I sat up as he did too, blank. He got up, helping me up, and we silently skated for another hour until I got off. He followed me and we ordered some snacks. As we waited at the table, there was an uncomfortable silence.

“That key…” I brought it up.

“I’ve had it since forever,” he said. “I remember someone telling me it had a pair but I never found it.”

I kept silent as the food arrived, eating quietly as I thought hard. It couldn’t be him could it? We left the rink and we drove back home, where Yubin and the other members greeted us.

“So how was your first date?” Seungkwan asked as Mingyu and I turned red.

“It was not a date!” I insisted as the rest of the members joined in the teasing.

-Mingyu's POV-

I watched as Nari argued with the members and shook my head, leaving to go upstairs and shed off the warm clothing. Yubin followed me up and shut the door.

“How’d it go?” he asked me.

“She saw the key. I meant to keep it a secret. I don’t know if she knows it’s supposed to be me.”

“Knowing her, it’ll blow by her after a few days. Don’t stress.”

Later that night, I woke up in the middle of the night again, a nagging feeling in the back of my mind. My instincts lead me to the front of Nari's room and I sighed, opening the door carefully. I saw her lying in her bed, tossing and turning. As I crept closer, she seemed to be mumbling to herself, although I couldn’t understand much. My face was only inches away from hers when her eyes flew open.

“Mingyu!” she almost screamed but I covered at the first syllable. She immediately calmed down and I took my hand off. “What are you doing here?”

I couldn’t explain myself so I just said, “I heard something coming out of your room and came to see what it was and if you were okay.”

“I guess. I don’t know,” she confessed. She looked up at me. “I don’t wanna bother Yubin at times like this. Can you stay with me?”

My heart skipped a beat at her words and I nodded. She made a spot for me in her bed, something I assumed she did with Yubin as well. I climbed in and hugged her, her warmth radiating off and onto me. As she managed to fall asleep in my arms, I shifted myself so I was able to be comfortable too, despite her lightness. Her body fell next to me so we were chest to chest, her heartbeat steady next to my rapidly beating one. She clung onto my shirt whenever she became tense, letting go when she had calmed down. I couldn’t help myself and let my lips linger to her forehead, giving her a light peck. Eventually, I fell asleep next to her.