Confessions?

Lock and Key

-Nari's POV-

The next day after school, I was sitting on the floor as Jeonghan braided my hair, Seungcheol pacing around everywhere.

“Ok, what about… wait nah that might not be good enough…. What about… nah…” he constantly thought up something and then shot it down himself. He’d sit himself in front of me, staring and squinting, and get back up again to pace once more.

“What am I even doing here again?” I asked.

“Because you’re his muse and you have to be in the room for him to think of good lyrics,” Jeonghan said. I sighed as he finished the braid. “Looks very nice.”

“I can’t think of anything!” Seungcheol suddenly said, making me and Jeonghan jump.

“Maybe another day then Cheol,” Jeonghan said, rolling his eyes.

“But you know this is the only day the other members aren’t here and I need peace and quiet for lyrics in this room,” Seungcheol whined as Jeonghan shook his head with a loving and understanding smile on his face.

“How close are you guys even?” I blurted out.

“Well Jeonghan and Joshua are pretty close,” Seungcheol said with an accusing voice, sticking his tongue out at Jeonghan.

“I can say the same thing about you and Jihoon,” Jeonghan retorted, pushing back a strand of hair from his face as he gave a look to Seungcheol.

“We’re all pretty close,” Seungcheol concluded quickly. “But if I were to think it through, Mingyu and Wonwoo are the closest. They’re inseparable those two.”

I thought about that one time when Mingyu suddenly left after I had showed him the gift Wonwoo had given me. “Does Mingyu get jealous easily?”

They both thought about it. Seungcheol spoke up, “I can’t really tell but he does get competitive of course, just like the rest of us.”

“Why all of a sudden?” Jeonghan inquired and I turned away.

“No reason,” I said and they both laughed.

“We’ll support you both in your relationship,” Seungcheol teased me.

“I don’t like him!” I insisted and they both raised an eyebrow.

“Why do I not sound convinced?” Jeonghan wondered out loud.

“I gotta get home, I’m helping with dinner tonight,” I said, grabbing my bag. “See you tomorrow.”

I rushed out the door and made my way home. Unlocking the door, the first thing that greeted me was Mingyu and Yubin.

“You’re back!”

“We need to get some groceries, can you stay here?”

“I just got here?” I shrugged. “Sure, I’ll keep watch.”

“You’re the best Nari,” they both left me alone in the living room. I sat down on the couch, exhausted from today. I felt myself dozing off. Well maybe a short nap won’t do any harm…

-Mingyu's POV-

“How are we supposed to tell her that they’re both going overseas for over a year?” I asked as I shoved meat and vegetables into the cart.

“Well, they aren’t exactly her parents so she’d most likely send them off with a smile and a ‘Have a safe trip, I’ll be waiting for your return’ kind of farewell,” Yubin said.

“Wouldn’t it be kind of sudden? Especially since I’m still settling in,” I said.

“She’ll be fine. 100% sure about it.”

We finished our shopping quickly, paying for everything, and left the store with grocery bags in all hands. I unlocked the door and found Nari sleeping on the couch.

“Jeonghan and Seungcheol must’ve worn her out today,” Yubin said as he dumped the bags in the kitchen.

“We don’t have homework so it’s fine. She should have an early day. I can sometimes hear her talking in her sleep,” I said.

“Probably that same dream,” Yubin said with a troubled face.

“What dream?” I asked curiously. We both looked at her peaceful sleeping face. I watched my twin brother’s face as he stared at Nari with loving eyes. He sighed and began explaining to me, from their childhood to how she came to live with them.

“Not a single relative here?” I said.

“Mainly overseas. She said she didn’t want to leave this place so her parents entrusted us to take care of her.”

“You love her don’t you?”

Yubin looked up at me. I could see a hint of sadness in his eyes. “Yes but the more I fall for her, the more distant I’m afraid we’d get, which is why I have to suppress them. I lied when I said I loved her as a sister.”

“She might fall for Wonwoo though,” I sighed and sat down on the floor next to him.

“We both know you like her. So even if I have to give her to you, I’d gladly do it.”

“She’s a hard to get one. Very stubborn.”

“She’s been opening up lately. Especially when you guys arrived. Keep at it and you’ll love her even more for who she really is.”

She began tossing and turning, eventually settling down again.

“She’s definitely a deep sleeper isn’t she?” I laughed slightly.

“Nothing can wake her up. She wakes up whenever she wants to but somehow never ends up late for anything. That’s just one of her charms.”

“It’s pretty uncomfortable on the couch though. Should I move her to her bed? You can get started on dinner.”

Yubin nodded and went into the kitchen as I gently lifted Nari off the couch and carried her upstairs. I laid her on her bed, taking off her shoes, and tucked her in.

“Yah, Jeon Wonwoo…” she mumbled and I felt my heart break a bit.

“It’s Wonwoo isn’t it?” I asked her sleeping form.

“No…” she said, as if replying to me. “It’s the key…”

“Key?” I was confused at her mumbling words and got up to leave but something compelled me to stay. I sat back down, brushing a few strands of hair away from her face as she slept. As she moved, something fell from her neck. Picking it up, I saw it was a locket. I tried to open it but it didn’t budge. I put it back next to her and left the room.

A few hours later, I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet. I saw a light on downstairs and trotted down the steps to find Nari eating a late dinner.

“Nari?”

She jumped as if she got a shock. “Ah, Mingyu.”

She patted the space next to her and I sat down. “When did you wake up?”

“I woke up when I was feeling hungry,” she said.

“You’re definitely carefree aren’t you?” I said and she grinned.

“I do like to think I am a bit more careful than carefree but if that’s what you think…”

“Are you gonna sleep more after this?”

“Of course,” she finished eating, putting her dish in the sink. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

She went back upstairs and I heard the door of her bedroom close. I shut off the kitchen light and made my way back upstairs into my own room.