Twins

Lock and Key

“How was class?” Yubin asked me and I sighed.

“I won’t be able to change out because there’s more students in there.”

His face fell but he patted me on the back.

“You’ll be fine. I saw those new students taking a liking to you,” he said and I felt a blush rising up.

“Go away,” I pushed him but he clung onto me.

“You know you love me,” he teased.

“Sure, sure,” I laughed in what seemed to be like the first time in ages.

“Wow, a smile. Something I haven’t seen on your face,” I heard a voice and I turned to see—

“Mina. Well if it isn’t my lovely enemy,” I said, crossing my arms, giving her gang of boys behind her a look. Yubin shoved me behind him.

“You’ll make things worse for yourself,” he hissed and we both looked at them as they began to advance towards us. I could see Yubin's hands clench up into fists and put my hands on his.

“Oi. If you don’t mind, I’d rather you not hurt our friend.”

We all turned and I saw the group new students walking over leisurely.

“Pfft. You’ve become friends with these people? How foolish. Get them,” Mina said. One of her guys started forward but Jun stopped him easily with one hand, twisting it away from him and pushing him away. The rest of the group came over, standing behind me. Mina and her guys saw they would be outnumbered and glared at me.

“We’ll be back,” she said and they left. I turned to the boys behind me.

“I said last time. I don’t need your help.”

“Whoa, whoa, wait Nari. They helped us,” Yubin said and I pouted. “At least say thank you.”

“They’re annoying,” I said, looking at the boys, some who were giving me looks too. I spotted Mingyu's face and squinted. “Wait.”

I pushed Yubin to stand next to Mingyu. Their heights were different but their faces were similar enough for all of us to gasp.

“Whoa! You guys look alike!” Chan said and Jihoon rolled his eyes.

“Thanks for pointing out the obvious,” he said. Mingyu and Yubin stared at each other for a long time.

You look similar to me,” Mingyu said.

“You look similar to me,” Yubin repeated.

“Oh my god, you guys could be long lost brothers or something!” Soonyoung said excitedly and the group burst with excitement.

“You free after school? My dad can test us,” Yubin asked Mingyu and they exchanged numbers. The entire day ended with me walking home with a few of the other guys. They dropped me off at my place, making sure I was inside before leaving.

“I’m home,” I called out.

“How was school?” Mrs. Kim asked me, like how my mother usually would.

“Same as usual,” I said and went upstairs into my room, shutting the door behind me and flopping onto my bed. I finished my homework and lazed around for another hour until my phone rang. I picked it up quickly.

“Bin? How’d it go?”

“It’s confirmed. We’re actual twins!” Yubin's excited voice yelled through the speakers. “Gyu’s moving in tonight since he’s been living alone.”

“Oh,” was all I could say. Another guy in the house. As if he had sensors attached to him, Yubin just laughed.

“I know what you're thinking. It’ll be fine, don’t worry. We’ll see you tonight!” and with that, he hung up. I decided to wash up and help out with dinner. Walking downstairs, Mrs. Kim was on the phone, squealing and crying with delight.

“Nari! Just in time. You’ve heard the news right?” she said and I nodded.

“Mrs. Kim…” I started.

“Just call me mom, I’ve told you a thousand times haven’t I?” she said, smiling fondly at me and I struggled to smile back.

“Well, like I was saying, if Mingyu's moving in, I can move out, I’ve been nothing but a bother…”

“You’re not going anywhere missy,” she said, wagging a finger in my face. “Your mother trusted us to take care of you when they left. You and Yubin have been inseparable since birth. It would break him to pieces if you left now.”

I looked around the room, which were filled with pictures of me and Yubin. From diapers to now, we really had been inseparable. I picked up the photo that showed both of our families together, smiling happily. Yubin and I were holding hands for the photo, showing the bond between both families. That same day, he had promised to protect me no matter what.

“I’ll grow up and become a strong man that will protect you. Don’t worry Nari! I’ll be by your side forever!” he had said. He never broke this promise after that day. He was always extremely patient with me, giving me advice, comforting me, and becoming a big brother figure in my life. We had both (stubbornly) admitted to liking each other romantically at one point but we decided we were too much like siblings to get into a relationship.

“It would be too weird for me,” I had said.

“Same,” he said and we never talked about it again.

I looked up as Mrs. Kim came over, patting my head.

“The boys will be here soon. Let’s welcome them happily alright?” she asked and I nodded.

“What’s on the menu?” I tied the apron string quickly and opened the fridge.

“Let’s just make something simple, we can upgrade as we get closer to Mingyu,” she said and I pulled out some eggs.

“I’ll make some omelets,” I said. “Maybe I’ll bake some sweets too.”

I began whisking the eggs together in a bowl, heating some oil on the pan and pouring the mixture in. As I let the eggs cook, I got some chocolate out from the pantry. Flipping the eggs in the pan carefully, I set it onto a plate after I was sure it was done. I continued to grab ingredients I would need for my cookies and quickly finished the batter. I heard the front door opening and rushed to greet them.

“Nari!” Yubin scooped me into a hug and twirled me around. I laughed, knowing he was extremely happy.

“You’re a happy one aren’t you?” I poked his nose and greeted Mingyu, who was watching us closely. “Hi Mingyu.”

“Hey Nari. What’s for dinner?” he asked, sniffing the air.

“I made my special omelets—”

“Yes!” came from both Yubin and Mingyu.

“And I was just going to put a batch of cookies inside the oven.”

“Mingyu!” Mrs. Kim’s voice said and they both ran up to each other in a tight embrace. “I can’t believe we found you after all these years!”

I could see tears in the family’s eyes but was confused. Found? What’s going on? I gave a look to Yubin, who nodded and used his eyes to say that he would tell me after. I nodded back and we all went into the kitchen, where I shoved the raw cookies into the oven and set a timer as the rest of the family sat down at the table. I took my usual spot and we began eating, mainly Mingyu doing the talking as he explained what he had been up to the past few years.

“Hey Nari? You know that group I always hang out with?”

I looked up from my vegetables and thought. “Those 12 boys?”

“Yeah. Well, I’ll explain more later but we formed a group called SEVENTEEN and we’re planning to become huge idols,” he said and added proudly, “I’m in charge of rapping.”

I nodded and continued eating, offering to wash up but was stopped when the oven timer went off. I took the cookies out of the oven and Yubin smiled gratefully.

“You must’ve read my mind, I was gonna ask you to bake cookies tonight,” he said, ruffling my hair as he grabbed a cookie. Mingyu did the same and they both went upstairs, dragging Mingyu's luggage up with them. I shook my head, plating the rest of the cookies and putting some on a separate plate, pouring 3 glasses of milk and heading upstairs. I put the cookies down in my room and went to go shower. After changing quickly, I headed back to my room, where Mingyu and Yubin were on my bed, waiting for me.

“Help yourself to the cookies, I brought some up for you,” I said, gesturing to the plate and the boys scrambled to grab one and a glass. I began brushing my hair out but Mingyu stopped my hand, which was struggling to get rid of the tangles, and brushed my hair for me instead. There was silence as he brushed so I asked, “So what exactly was going on?”

I didn’t have to explain since they both knew what I meant.

“Well, you see, Mingyu was kidnapped as a kid.”

 

A/N: So I went into a frenzy last night and decided to look up some Song Yuvin songs and his debut song is called "Garosugil at Dawn" and its a duet with Baek Jiyoung and it's absolutely amazing, I put it on repeat because their voices are perfect together so I recommend this song if anyone likes ballads or break up songs or both artists in general. I heard it topped music charts last year when it was released so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.