Fun and Fortunes

Lock and Key

I woke up at 9 in the morning. Stretching as I brushed my teeth, I poked my head inside the boys’ room to find them both still asleep. I made breakfast for the three of us, which seemed to wake them both up.

“Omelets!” Yubin said happily as he sat down at his plate. Mingyu did too and they began eating as I soaked the dishes. After breakfast, I was sent upstairs to get ready.

“Don’t girls take longer to get ready anyway?” Mingyu said.

“It’s not like I put on makeup or anything,” I said, going up anyway. I chose an outfit, putting my hair up into a ponytail, and went back down, waiting for the rest of the members, who decided our place would be the meeting place. We walked to the bus stop, where the boys all decided to stay standing, leading elders to a vacant seat with their bright smiles and politeness. Mingyu, Wonwoo, and Yubin made me sit down, surrounding me as the bus rolled on. When we reached our stop, we filed out and looked up at the new amusement park. We bought tickets and entered, debating about which rides to go on first and whether we should split up or not.

“If we were to take photos, I’d rather it be all of us squished into the frame than just a few of us,” I said and we decided to stick together. The next decision was the rides. I wasn’t keen about anything haunted or roller coasters but I loved anything that spun. We split into groups for every two rides so if one member didn’t like the first ride, they had the option of the second choice, which was a system that worked perfectly with our huge group. After 2 hours of rides, I decided it was lunch time when I heard continuous mumbles of “I’m hungry” or “I’m starving” come from the boys.

“I think it’s a good time for lunch right?” I asked and they immediately began bouncing around at the thought of food.

“Let’s meet up here,” Seungcheol pointed at a huge place where tables and chairs were set up.

“I’ll reserve the seats for us,” Joshua went over as the rest of us went about, grabbing our own foods. We found the seats that had been reserved under Joshua's name and a huge table enough for 15 people. As we gathered one by one, the fight for the food began.

“Just one bite!” Mingyu begged Jeonghan.

“You really have no conscience do you?” Jeonghan said, letting a happy Mingyu take a bite of his food.

As we continued lunch, Seungkwan stood up. “I saw a fortune teller back over there, we should all get our fortunes told.”

We agreed to the idea, just to let our food digest well, and were on our way, Seungkwan in the lead. After doing rock paper scissors to see who would go first, I ended up going first. I stepped into the tent, greeting the lady inside.

“Take a seat,” she gestured to the pillow in front of her, a table gleaming with jewels separating us. I sat down and she asked me a few questions.

“Your zodiac sign is?”

“Capricorn.”

“What is your most prized or treasured item on you right now?”

“My mother’s locket,” I pulled it out from over my head and handed it to her. She inspected it carefully, handing it back to me delicately like it would shatter if she held onto it for too long.

“I can sense your future from that locket. The one who can open it is actually closer than you think. He is, in fact, your soulmate. But beware of lurking dangers that yearn for it. Your soulmate will protect you at times like that. Take a charm,” she concluded, sweeping her ring adorned hand over the many jewels and gems on her table. I selected a light pink stone and thanked her for her time. I stepped outside, the brightness blinding me, and waited for what seemed to be an eternity as the rest of the group stepped in one by one, stepping out like they had something deep to think about. I couldn’t stop thinking about mine.

“My soulmate is close to me, can open my locket, and will protect me from dangers that yearn for my locket,” I summarized my fortune into a sentence for the group as we continued walking down a path towards the shops.

“How much do you wanna bet that your soulmate is one of us? Like me for example?” Jun said.

“Don’t be ridiculous. You’d probably be at the end of the list,” Minghao said and they got into a playful argument. As they argued, I thought about it. I haven’t been this close to that many people besides Yubin. Maybe it is one of them? I looked at the boys around me, who were messing around with one another. Mingyu caught my eye, winking before engaging in a conversation with Wonwoo.

After the day ended and I was on my bed, Mingyu came in. I ignored him, putting my face down into the blanket. I felt a whack on my head and looked up to see Mingyu holding a pillow, grinning mischievously.

“You messed up my hair,” I said, grabbing my pillow. “You’re gonna regret that.”

“Just the response I was looking for,” he said, using his pillow to shield himself from my blow. He ended up hitting my side but I attacked his chest. He pretended to fall, pinning me onto my bed, barely holding himself up by his arms, our faces close to each other. I immediately felt myself turn red and swatted him off me.

“Don’t do that!” I said.

“Why not?” he asked. He laughed. “Night Nari.”

He left my room, shutting the door behind him as I was left to ponder my thoughts.