-7-

Champion

When he got to the swimming pool at the Athlete's Village after a two-hour drive, Yunho couldn't even breathe.

It was just one person at the pool, just Changmin; but he, just that still-fully-clothed little being sitting on the very edge of one of the diving blocks, was staring off into space at the length of the swimming pool which seemed so, so long with not a single ripple in the pool in dead silence.

Yunho wondered how long Changmin had spent sitting here, and how many days during the break he spent just sitting here blankly like this.

Changmin didn't hear Yunho approaching, even when Yunho was only feet behind him.

Yunho hesitated for a moment, but then put a hand on Changmin's shoulder.

"Changmin…?"

"Ahhhh!"

Changmin let out a short yell of shock before losing his balance – and Yunho's horror, Changmin tumbled straight into the water below.

"Oh my God! Changmin!" yelled Yunho in horror, watching white foam come up and ripples appear from below the blue waters that, just a second ago, had been completely still. ""I'm sorry!"

Changmin came up a little bit later, gasping for air, and Yunho knelt at the edge of the deck and stretched out his hand.

"Here! Take my hand."

Changmin was annoyed.

He didn't take Yunho's hand.

"Did you just try to rescue me? I know how to swim, in case you haven't noticed!" yelled Changmin.

Yunho only then realized how stupid he'd just been. Of course. He was looking at an international swimmer.

"Yes, I know, I'm sorry, just come up," said Yunho, extending his hand again.

Changmin rolled his eyes before taking Yunho's hand.

Yunho wasn't quite ready for the pull that Changmin gave, and the next thing he knew, he was underwater.

It was quiet in the water.

And there was nothing around him but blue, blanketing him in tranquility.

He could see a little bit of sunshine coming through the window a bit further away, and he almost wanted to swim to it, except –

He came up for a much-needed breath, and when he did, he saw Changmin on the other side.

"What the hell!" yelled Yunho.

"You deserved it!" snapped Changmin.

"I'm still wearing my shoes, Shim Changmin!"

"I am too!" he shouted. "Who just sneaks up on other people like that?"

"I didn't sneak up –"

A splash of water hit Yunho's face.

"You –!"

Yunho struggled towards Changmin who swam away – or, at least tried – it wasn't quite the same with his clothes weighing him down.

"You're in so much trouble, Shim Changmin!" said Yunho, managing to grasp onto Changmin's National Team jacket and pulling him towards himself.

"Get – off –" Changmin turned towards Yunho and pushed Yunho's shoulders down, but Yunho took Changmin with him, and both of them were completely submerged underwater.

Blue water and silence again – except he had air in his lungs this time.

Yunho let go of Changmin's jacket and turned towards Changmin, who also let go of Yunho's shoulders. They made eye contact underwater – Changmin's hair was flowing with the water and he looked so very pretty – and as if they'd planned it, they began to swim – away from the edge of the pool and towards the middle of the pool.

When they emerged from below the water for breaths, they were both laughing.

Except that, for some reason, the fact that he'd had this moment, right here at this pool, with Changmin, almost made Yunho cry.

 

 

The walk of shame to their room was nearly unbearable.

Neither of them had a change of clothes on them, and they were trekking water behind them all over the floor.

Everyone who passed them by snickered and neither Yunho nor Changmin could even raise their heads to look at whoever was passing them by.

"You're the worst," muttered Yunho on the way back to their room.

"You started it," retorted Changmin, albeit quietly.

"If you hadn't pulled me in with you, I could have brought you a change of clothes."

"God, you're right, why didn't I think of that? I could have pushed you in after you brought me clothes, and then left you there to fend for yourself."

Yunho grunted. "You're the worst."

Changmin laughed a little, and for some reason, Yunho felt a little bit more comforted.

Once they reached their room – after having made their mark halfway across the Village – they stripped off their sopping wet clothes and began drying themselves off.

"So why are you here?" asked Changmin.

Yunho stared. "Because you said you missed me, remember?"

Changmin took in a breath to say something, but then after looking into Yunho's eyes, apparently changed his mind. "I…" he said, but he didn't continue.

He did continue eventually though.

"I mean… you were supposed to say that you came because you missed me too."

"Well… that too," said Yunho, and Changmin snorted.

"I mean… I do appreciate that you came. I don't appreciate that you scared me and pushed me into the pool."

"I didn't push –"

"But either way, I mean…" said Changmin, clearly struggling to find words. "I mean… I…" He thought some more. "I don't know," he concluded.

Yunho laughed. "I do," he said. "Pack your bags right now. You're coming home with me."

Changmin's eyes widened in shock, for the second time today.

"What? Hyung. I told you, no –"

"You don't have a choice. You're coming home with me for the rest of the break."

"No, I can't – not with your parents there!"

"My parents are the ones who suggested it in the first place. They want you there."

Changmin shook his head. "I can't. I don't have anything to wear. I don't have anything to bring. I've never seen them before. I can't just walk into your family's house and – No."

"They don't care," said Yunho. "We're going to my house. Hurry up and pack, or I'm going to do it for you. Oh, and I'm going to need to borrow some of your dry clothes. And a pair of underwear, please."

"Forget it, you're not getting my underwear," shot Changmin.

But a few seconds later, Changmin had thrown a pair of underwear onto Yunho's bed along with a change of clothes.