Let's be friends

It's Been You All Along

Author's POV

Riiiiinnnng!

The lunch bell has rung, signaling lunch has started. 

Baekhyun and Luhan were walking out of history class and making their way to the cafeteria, all the while chatting like there's no tomorrow.

They reached the cafeteria, headed over to a table in the far left corner to leave their things and then went in the line. 

Baekhyun got a slice of pizza and some french fries while Luhan got a burger and tater tots. 

They went back to the table to find Luhan's friends already there. 

"Hey guys!", said Luhan excitedly as he sat next to Kyungsoo on the round, gray table. 

"Baeeekkkk!", yelled Tao and Xiumin happily in unison, ignoring Luhan's greeting completely.

Luhan pouted at this which made Baekhyun chuckle.

"Hey", replied Baekhyun with a smile as he sat in between Tao and Lay. 

"So houwn wadfjhdejs hisnfrjntory clahjnss?! Bohdnfring pfright?!!", asked Tao with his mouth full. 

"Tao, honey, eat with your mouth closed", said Kyungsoo, not once looking up from his book. 

"Eomma, *swallow*, it's fine! No one's watching and we're all friends!", said Tao matter of factly as he took another bite out of his chicken. 

"Tao, it doesn't matter. It's not a matter of whether anyone's watching or not. You have to have manners at all times", said Kyungsoo, this time looking up.

"Fiiiiineeee", said Tao with a pout. 

Baekhyun chuckled at their conversation.

They are so adorable.

"So Baekhyun, how was history class? Did you like Mr. Kwon?", asked Xiumin as he took a bite out of his third steamed bun.

"Yah! I asked first!", yelled Tao with his mouth full, again; food flying every where. 

"Calm down children", said Lay, speaking up for once. 

He had been looking down at his phone since lunch started; his food had gotten cold too.

"History class went by so slooowww!! I swear I was dying in there! And then! And then when I tried to take a nap, Mr. Kwon threw a ruler at me! Can you believe it?!? A ruler!", said Luhan, who had been eating his burger, as he rubbed the back of his head with a pout.

"Luhan, no one asked you. Thank you very much", said Tao, laughing afterwards.

"Hmhofhrrj", whispered Luhan under his breath as he continued to eat his food.

Everyone laughed at Luhan's cuteness and then carried on with their converstation, ignoring Luhan every time he spoke.

The lunch bell rung once again and now it was time to go to 4th period.

Luhan and Baekhyun have music together so they bid goodbye to their friends and made their way to the music room.

When they stepped inside, Baekhyun fell in love. 

In the middle of the room were rows and rows of black chairs forming a semi circle, all facing a white board with black lines on it; in the far corner, there were instruments of all kinds. Next to the white board there was a big, black, shiny piano.

"Baek! Come on! You can sit next to me!", chirped Luhan as he dragged Baekhyun across the room and towards his seat. 

Students started showing up and soon, all the seats were taken. 

"So! Today we have a new student. Can you please come to the front?", said the music teacher with a smile as she stepped to the side so Baekhyun could be seen.

Baekhyun got up and made his way to the front; wandering eyes following him. 

Baekhyun faced his classmates with a smile as he looked around them.

His eyes then stopped on someone that stood out from everyone else. 

His smile, for some reason, became wider. 

"Please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself", said the teacher in her sweet voice.

"Hello. My name is Byun Baekhyun. I recently moved here from America. I like to sing and my favorite instrument is the piano", said Baekhyun with a smile, not once looking away from that someone. 

"Oh! Is that so?! Would you like to play us something?", asked the teacher.

Everyone then chimmed in and started saying, 'sing for us!', 'sing for us!'.

Baekhyun chuckled and nodded his head; he made his way over to the piano and sat comfortably on the bench.

He liften the piano fallboard and played certain keys, trying to find his vocal range; he warmed up a little and soon, his long, skinny fingers raced on the black and white keys.

 

'보이지 않는 널 찾으려고 애쓰다
들리지 않는 널 들으려 애쓰다
보이지 않던데 보이고 들리지 않던게 들려
너 나를 떠난 뒤로 내겐 없던 힘이 생겼어

**늘 니밖에 몰랐었던 이기적인 내가
네 마음도 몰라줬던 무시함 내가
이렇게 달라졌다는게 나조차 믿기지 않아
네 사랑은 이렇게 계속 날 움직여

난 생각만하면 세상을 너로 채울 수 있어
눈송이하나가 네 눈물 한 방울이니까
단 한 가지 못하는 것은 널 내게로 오게 하는 일
이 초라한 초능력 이젠 없었으면 좋겠어'

Baekhyun finished singing the last note and everyone was at awe. 

They didn't think he could sing so well. 

Then, a clap broke the silence.

"WOOO!! THAT'S MY BAEKIIEE!", yelled Luhan as he stood up and clapped as loud and hard as he could. 

Everyone then followed suit and soon the whole room emitted the sounds of applause; everyone was clapping happily except one. 

That one simply sat in his seat, unamused. 

Baekhyun stood up and bowed to his classmates before returning to his seat.

"Baekhyun..that was amazing! I expect great things from you", said the teacher, her smile never faltering. 

Baekhyun muttered a small 'thank you' and turned to Luhan, who was looking at him with a bright smile.

They chatted for a bit until the teacher broke the silence once again. 

"Today I will be assigning a group project", she said as she looked through a folder.

The students made some remarks but nonetheless, they still wanted to know what kind of proejct it would be.

"In groups of 4, you will compose a song and present it to the class. After that, of all my classes, I will pick the top 3 songs and they will be performed at the winter showcase". 

Some were excited, some were nervous as they had stage fright.

The teacher started calling out the groups and students started packing up their things while remaining seated. 

"Luhan, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol will be the last group and since now the class has an odd number of stu-"

The door opened.

A student walked in.

He made his way over to the front of the room and whispered in the teacher's ear. 

She broke into a smile and said, "What luck! Baekhyun, Luhan, Chanyeol? I found the last member of your group!"

Luhan, who had been looking at the new student, felt his face heat up. 

He's going to be in our group?

The new student looked at Chanyeol and broke into a smile; he walked over to the latter and did a handshake with him. 

At this, both Luhan and Baekhyun made confused faces. 

They know each other?, they both thought.

"Well that's it! Get with your group!", said the teacher while walking over to her desk near where the piano was. 

Everyone started getting together until only the new student, Luhan, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were the only ones still in their seats. 

Baekhyun slowly got up and pulled Luhan with him towards the others.

"Hello!", said Baekhyun happily as he reached out his hand to the new student.

The new student looked away from Chanyeol to Baekhyun and reached out his hand, shaking Baekhyun's out of politeness.

He then looked at Luhan and something inside him sparked. 

But he didn't show.

Instead, he introduced himself. 

"My name is Oh Sehun. I just transferred to this class, as you can see", he said, his voice stoic.

"I'm Baekhyun and this is Luhan", said Baekhyun while pointing at Luhan when he said his name. 

Chanyeol stood up from his seat, looked at Baekhyun and then walked out of the room. 

Baekhyun was shocked at this but nonetheless, he ran after him.

"Wait!", he yelled as he saw Chanyeol walking down the hall.

Chanyeol stopped walking but didn't turn around. 

"Where are you going?", asked Baekhyun out of breath.

"None of your business".

"It's my business! You're in our group", said Baekhyun hopefully.

"That doesn't mean anything", said Chanyeol, this time turning around. 

"It does. Let's be friends", said Baekhyun, offering a smile.

Chanyeol broke into a laugh.

Is this kid for real?

Baekhyun made a confused face and turned serious.

Chanyeol saw the serious expression in Baekhyun's face and stopped laughing.

"Wait. You're serious? You have to be kidding me", said Chanyeol with a raised eyebrow.

"Why wouldn't I be serious? I mean we're in the same group and- and we have the same class. Why not?"

"Look. You're not the type of person I would befriend", said Chanyeol as he turned to leave.

"Wait! Then.. Can I get your number?!", asked Baekhyun, hopeful Chanyeol would say yes to this at least.

"Sorry. I don't swing that way".

"Who said I'm trying to pick you up?!? It's just so we have each other's numbers and we can meet up and work on the project".

"Then, get it from Sehun", said Chanyeol as he started walking away.

Baekhyun catched up to him and spun him around.

At the sudden contact, Chanyeol pushed him away harshly.

Baekhyun hit the floor with a loud thud; he looked up at Chanyeol and made eye contact with him before Chanyeol walked away, not bothering to help Baekhyun up. 

"Baekhyun!", yelled Luhan as he ran over to Baekhyun's aid, along with Sehun.

Luhan grabbed one arm while Sehun grabbed the other and they both pulled up Baekhyun at once.

"Baekie? Are you okay?!", asked Luhan worriedly.

"Yeah. I'm fine", said Baekhyun as he stared in the direction Chanyeol went.

"What happened?!"

"I'm not sure. I mean.. I asked him where he was going and he said it wasn't my business but then I asked his number, you know, so we could work on the project and he told me to get it from Sehun and when I catched up to him and spun him around, he pushed me", said Baekhyun as he looked at Luhan.

"Oh Baekie.. I told you to stay away from him..", said Luhan as he engulfed Baekhyun in a hug.

Sehun stood there, thinking of what caused Chanyeol to react that way.

He was too lost in his thoughts to realize someone was talking to him until he got smacked in the arm. 

"Ouch! What was that for?!", he asked with a pout.

Luhan had smacked him in the arm and when he got a response he smirked.

"My Baekie was asking you a question".

"Oh sorry, Baekhyun. What was it?"

"Can you give me his number?", asked Baekhyun, hoping Sehun would give it to him. 

"Oh um yeah sure".

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

A/N:

Hello! I hope you enjoyed this update! Let me know what you think so far! Don't forget to subscribe! Oh by the way, the song Baekhyun performed is EXO's Miracles in December. Have a nice day/ night!

Take care <3