Thursday

Creeping to Your Heart

AM


At first it was slow, hesitant, and then soft. That was what the kiss felt like to Baekhyun and right now he needed to see Chanyeol. Everything seemed to be a first for him when it comes to Chanyeol. Kissing wasn't a first, but feeling something different about it was a first for him.

He was already at the school gates by the time other students had gathered and into the building. But there was no Chanyeol. 

Basketball practice perhaps...? Baekhyun wondered to himself and began walking towards the back of the school to the gymnasium.

 

 

"PARK! Pass the in' ball!!" Someone shouted.

Chanyeol ran across the floor dribbling the orange ball as he passes one person after another without glancing at anything other than his goal. Just before he could slam the ball into the hoop, he was caught off guard and slipped.

"!" Chanyeol groaned.

"What were you thinking!? This is not a one man's team, get your head outta the gutter!" Kris, the team captain, says firmly as he grabs the boy still sprawled on the floor by his collar.

Chanyeol quickly smacked away the captain's hand and sprung back to his feet. 

"Sorry." He muttered.

Chanyeol walked off into the men's changing room, but little did he know, somewhere across the spacious room the smaller boy had been watching him closely.

 

 

So much for morning practice... Ugh. 

Since last night, Chanyeol couldn't stop thinking about how he should approach his current boyfriend whom he is supposedly dating for the week. 

"Chanyeol, he's waiting for you." Sehun was standing by the door with his arms crossed.

Chanyeol was still in a trance until Sehun bursts his bubble. "Baekhyun?"

"Who else? You better get out there before he's snatched away by the upperclassmen."

He ignored Sehun's teasing and stuffed everything into his bag and rushed out of the room.

As expected, Baekhyun was surrounded by the rest of the basketball team, mostly seniors, who among them were several admirers of the boy. Chanyeol was having none of that as he pushed into the crowd and grabbed the skinny wrist and paced out of the venue. 

 

 

"What were you doing there??" Chanyeol shouted as he finally lets go of the small wrist he was dragging for a while after they had gone up to the school roof.

The first bell for their homeroom hasn't rung as it was still early in the morning, with students already piled inside the building getting ready for the first class. It was just the two of them, one still sweating from morning sports activity, while the other remained silent staring anywhere but the taller figure.

Chanyeol noticed the silence and he realized he was being angry for no reason, especially at anyone but Baekhyun. 

"S-sorry... I didn't mean to shout. I had a rough morning." 

"I know. I saw..." Baekhyun said. 

"When? Were you there the whole time? I didn't see you."

"Oh, n-no, I just got there right before you fell..."

Chanyeol looked away and facepalmed. "Ughhhh, so embarrassing...!" 

Baekhyun chuckled. "Nah, you were still cool... just before that slip." 

"Don't laugh!!"

"Ha-ha!"

 

 

They ended up skipping morning classes just before lunch and both sat on the rooftop leaning their backs against the wall of the surrounding. Both forgetting the awkward tension they had encountered just last night.

Instinctively, Chanyeol motioned for Baekhyun to lend his lap for his head to rest on as he was getting tired from all the sweating. Of course, Baekhyun was taken aback and shy at first but complied to his boyfriend's need. 

They remained in that position with comfortable silence.

Chanyeol decided to talk because sleep was the last thing he really wanted to do. "You remember Sehun by any chance?"

Baekhyun was startled by the sudden question as he was sure the taller was sleeping on his lap. "Yeah. I do."

"He's my childhood friend, he's a great guy isn't he?" Chanyeol couldn't help but smack himself mentally for praising his best friend to his boyfriend who was also an ex-boyfriend of his said friend. Talk about stupidity. "...You guys still talk?"

He wasn't sure where he was going with the questions, and even though he knew very well what the answer would be, but there was no stopping now. He felt Baekhyun slightly shift in his position before he spoke again.

"I don't keep in contact with anyone I've dated." There were no hesitation as he continued. "It's better this way, since I want to only focus on the person I'm seeing. Wouldn't you want that?"

Chanyeol thought for a moment, and Baekhyun was right. He didn't want the boy to look at anyone else other than him and he momentarily remembered why he felt angry earlier and it had to do with how Baekhyun allowed the seniors flock around him and possibly touching him here and there. Just the thought of that triggered an angry vein popping out of his head. 

But he doesn't know why he's angry in the first place.

His own thoughts quickly faded as he realized another possibility. The fact that he would be forgotten and tossed aside in just a few days.

Tsk. Chanyeol got up and rested himself in his previous position against the wall beside the smaller boy.

"I'm sure they still call you..." He says in a low, barely audible tone.

Baekhyun had no problem making sense of it. "I don't know. I don't pick up unknown calls."

This time Chanyeol clenched his fists. "So... you delete their numbers?"

"Like I said, it's better to cut it off clean, no one gets hurt. You'd be okay if my ex calls during our dates?" Baekhyun had a slight smirk on his face, proving his point.

"Isn't that... kinda cruel? I mean... to delete them completely, as if strangers. Is that what we'll become?" Are you going to delete me as well? Internally, he wasn't sure why it had suddenly become serious.

This time Baekhyun wasn't sure how to answer, instead he gazed at Chanyeol, lips dry and eyes unmoving. "Chanyeol... Um-- " 

Bzzzz... Bzzz... Bzzz.

Baekhyun's phone buzzed into the heavy air. Grabbing his phone out of his uniform jacket, he got up softly and made an apologetic expression to his boyfriend before walking a few feet away to pick up the call.

"Hey, I'm busy--"

"I WANT TO BREAK UP!!! I'M GOING TO BREAK UP WITH THAT JERK!!!" It was vivid and loud, the other end screamed through the phone.

Baekhyun sighed. "Calm down, you say this everytime..." Chanyeol found himself eavesdropping until he heard the next word. "...Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo...? Again?

Blood rushed to his head as he scrambled to his feet and forcibly took the phone from the smaller's hands and slammed the phone shut. 

"Wha- what the?" Baekhyun was wide eyed, confusion in those orbs.

"Kyungsoo." Chanyeol deadpanned. "And just before you were saying you don't keep in contact with people who still like you. But you're quite unfair with keeping contact with the person you like?"

"Ch-Chanyeol... you're angry? But why-- " 

Why!? Why... "Obviously you're dating me, why shouldn't I be!?"

Chanyeol wasn't going to wait around for an explanation, he knew he had crossed the line of no return. He wasn't supposed to get affected. So why?

 

 

Doot. Doot...

"..."

"Stop crying..." Baekhyun couldn't leave his former crush alone. He would always have a soft spot for Kyungsoo, no matter how much the other had hurt him in a way that was oblivious to the older. "I think he cares and loves you more than you think. You just need to trust him."

"But he was the one who didn't reject that woman's invitation... I saw it," Kyungsoo mumbled through soft sniffles. "He hugged her!"

"It's just a work dinner and I'm sure that was a friendly gesture. Whatever he did before, you've had your fair share of revenge."

Kyungsoo on the other end didn't agree. "It doesn't matter! He still did the unforgivable! I want him to myself, doesn't he know that!? I can't forgive him for even touching her!!"

Baekhyun sighed for the nth time today, "It's not like you never cheated on him, more than once. It's not healthy if you keep this up, he will eventually leave you."

"..."

"Don't worry, I didn't mean that. He wouldn't leave you. I know that for a fact... I'm jealous he could mean that much to you, as much as you are to him."

"Baekie... you've... grown up. Since when?" 

"Don't change the subject." Baekhyun smiled through the phone and continued. "Soo... don't call me anymore. As much as I still treasure you deeply, I have someone more important to me now."

There was a brief silence until the sniffled voice turned soft, "I'm happy for you, Baekie. I'll always love you, and... thank you..."

"Mm.. I love you too."

 

 


After School


"Didn't know you were in the student council."

Chanyeol finished practice earlier than usual, and had gone over to Baekhyun's class only to find the smaller missing in action. According to classmates, he was on after-school duties getting paperworks done for the student council for upcoming school festival and the big basketball game. He was now standing by the school gate waiting for the senior to finish up.

"Chanyeol..." Baekhyun had to blink twice because he had thought the younger was gonna avoid him again until the next day. "I was just volunteering... W-what are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you." 

"O-oh. I'm sorry if I took a while, did you wait long?"

"It's fine." Chanyeol began walking, with Baekhyun slowly following behind. "I'm sorry about this afternoon."

"No, me too..."

"Why did I acted like that? It's not something for me to get worked up about right? Hah."

Baekhyun disagrees but he couldn't bring himself to deny it at the time. "Ha... I guess not."

"Man, I'm hungry, let's get ramen!"

Chanyeol decided he wasn't going to brood about what the other went through in the past. He is the present and that was more important than wasting their time together arguing over nothing.

 

Afterall, we only have until Sunday. This is nothing...

 

 


^^ Thanks for reading as always! Til' next update~