55: A City in Darkness

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

55: A City in Darkness

 

 

   On the 15th floor of the Human Liberation Vanguard Headquarters, a lone figure looked out towards the city of Merehua with a sombre expression. Everything was silent save for the pitter-patter of rain against the window panes. His sharp, cat-like eyes were void of their usual warmth; his body stiff and his hands held behind his back. Minseok wasn't supposed to be here at this time of night but another round of never-ending paperwork had meant working overtime yet again. He couldn't even delegate it to someone else as he would have done before. Most of those whom he would have trusted with such work had either taken leave, resigned or passed away in the wake of Operation Leviathan.

   But none of that seemed to matter anymore. He had just received a phone call from an unfamiliar number with the most familiar voice; he still couldn't believe that Baekhyun and Chanyeol had survived against all odds. Having grown up with them since the orphanage, they were like real-life brothers to him but instead of feeling happy, there was an uncomfortable churning in his stomach, a sense of unease that he could not shake off.

   That demon woman was still with them.

   A flash of lightning lit up Minseok's office; showcasing a large and tidy space with minimal personal effects. The lack of sleep and the stress from work was getting to him. He winced visibly at the thunder, it seemed so loud. He was never like thunderstorms. His eyes focused back onto the main road that connected the Capital with Merehua and his thoughts channelled back to Baekhyun and Chanyeol. He never understood why they gave up everything for her. Or even why they were still with her. Why would they risk everyone for someone who was just a figure of their past? Even if Baekhyun had some deep-rooted feelings for Lee Jeongri, it was ten years ago. Minseok shook his head in scepticism. Just how far do childhood friends really go, let's be honest.

   But maybe he was just jilted.

   After all, Minseok never had the chance to make any childhood friends.

   He grew up in a staff residence within the Royal Palace grounds where his mother worked as a maid. He didn't go to school like other children. His mother use to say to him that it wasn't safe, and that he should stay within the confines of the residence. Minseok understood his mother's concerns and grew up independently; home-studying and looking after himself until his mother would come home. Without fail, he would always make sure her favourite cup of tea would be waiting for her when she got back because it was the least he could do. Even if she was really tired, her eyes would always sparkle when she saw him. She never married and Minseok never got to know his father. He always knew who he was but neither ever found the need to reach out for each other; a lost relationship but he didn't mind. The only person he needed was his mother. She was a beautiful woman and he loved her so very much.

   And the demons still killed her without regard.

   Ten years ago, on the day of King Kim Minjoon's coronation, they spread through the Royal Palace like a virus, killing everyone who was involved. She never had a chance. No one did. He had been making tea when one of his neighbours dragged him out to safety only to witness the Demon King throw King Kim Minjoon's limp body from the front gates. Minseok would never forget how his body rolled down the steps, almost like a ragdoll, leaving a bloody trail in its wake. It had been raining that day too. He never went back to the Royal Palace and they never found his mother's body but he knew that she was long gone. Thunderstorms signalled the beginning of the Great War and that cup of tea he had made for his mother would forever remain untouched.

   From that day on, Minseok's hatred for the Demon King grew. Shortly after his 16th birthday, he joined the HLV and discovered his potential as a Summoner; leading strong performances wherever he was deployed. There was no fear in his heart, only vengeance as he continued to rise through the ranks, eventually becoming the Division Leader. He became so well known that there were rumours that the Demon Army trembled when they saw his aurora flamed Phoenix.

   If it wasn't for his friendship with Baekhyun, he would have probably been consumed by vengeance. Baekhyun showed him not to judge a person by their race but still he couldn't help but feel an unease when thinking about Jeongri. After all, how far does the apple fall from the tree? Lightning flashed again, ripping through the skies with its intense light. The storm was growing heavier. Minseok could see his hardened expression being reflected in the window and reluctantly, he let his face soften. No matter what, he still trusted Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Perhaps there was a side he needed to see for himself. She seemed so unremarkable during their brief meeting back in Hallowmire; a frail and beaten woman who had seen better days. Should he judge a child by the actions of her father?

   As the skies rumbled again, Minseok turned suddenly and made his way upstairs, stopping only to greet various late-nighters along the way. Despite the conflicting feelings he had, he couldn't keep the news about Baekhyun's survival to himself. Minseok still wasn't very good at making friends despite his personality but there was one man who he'd grown close to since Hallowmire.

   That man was Kim Jongdae.

   Jongdae's office was one floor above his. Minseok wasn't even sure that he would be there since it was so late, it wasn't like he was there often anyway. Lately, he'd been taking more and more solo missions but to Minseok's surprise, the light was on in Jongdae's office. He approached the door and knocked lightly. Through the blinds he could see his friend moving several items from his drawers to a box on the desk.

   "I'm busy," came Jongdae's irritated voice. He was dressed in his coat, as though he was ready to leave, "Go away."

   Minseok felt taken aback, "It's me."

   He could see Jongdae freeze before shutting his drawers quickly. Moments later, the door opened. Large white sheets had been pulled over most of his office equipment. He felt a little surprised seeing this, Jongdae wasn't scheduled for any solo missions at the moment.

   "Oh, Minseok hyung," Jongdae said, looking flustered, "I'm sorry, I didn't  know that it was you. What's the matter?"

   He made no motions to invite Minseok in.

   "Were you about to go home?" he asked, looking around with curiosity.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter