45: Ever-Present

❉ The Lost Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

45: Ever-Present

 

 

   [ ❉ Two Weeks Later - October 27th 2016 ]

 

   The sun rose on just another Thursday in Greyfleur, and its sleepy citizens went about their usual morning routines. The only difference was their quickened steps to and front their homes, or the numerous fearful glances behind them. An unsettling fortnight had passed since the fire at the bar, and things were grim in this small hamlet.

   Blustery winds picked up all across Greyfleur, bringing a deathly chill that made this year’s Winter the darkest and coldest in living memory. Sehun pulled his coat closer around his body, trying to savour some warmth. He didn’t want to be out running errands so early in the morning. That was usually Luhan or Kyungsoo’s job, but they were both busy this morning, and Luhan asked if he could do it. Sehun could never say no to his hyung.

   He walked briskly through the streets of Greyfleur’s central hub, a paper bag filled with groceries held in his arm, and avoiding eye contact with everyone on the way home. It would be best if he got back soon, but as he walked by the burnt-out bar, he couldn’t help but stop and look on.

   The blackened and crumbling remains were still alive with activity, swarming with local authorities deep in their investigation. Sehun stared at the charred support beams, ash still fluttering in the wind after so long, as he remembered the events of that strange night a fortnight ago. He tried to block out the stench of death that still lingered in the air, but it was difficult.

   The news report in the days following revealed that eleven people died that night with nine more taken to hospital in varying conditions. In the two weeks that followed, the mysterious attacks also continued silently, with each morning bringing a new grisly murder scene. Greyfleurian’s were usually known for their welcoming and calm nature, but with the cause of the bar attack still shrouded in mystery, and the continued deaths, everyone was on edge. Though no one would say it openly, the vampires were blamed for both events.

   It didn’t feel safe in Greyfleur anymore.

   Ever since the incident, Sehun could feel a growing level of hostility as people were becoming more outwardly afraid. The small handful who knew of his and Luhan’s origins avoided them entirely, going as far as threatening to spill their secret if they didn’t stay away. To make tensions worse, a family of five had been the victims of yet another attack the night before. None of them survived, and each one with the same puncture marks on their necks. Junmyeon and his men were becoming more brazen, and his terrifying grip on the citizens of Greyfleur would only get worse.

   Pulling his gaze away from the yellow hazard tape that surrounded the burnt-out building, Sehun pulled back his sleeve and checked the time, noting that he was running late for today’s training session. He could already hear Luhan scolding him again, like he always did. With a scowl, Sehun left the area and quickened his pace, hurrying back home. He hated getting told off.

   Things at home had been strange over the last fortnight. Everyone felt more… distant, with everyone staying out of each other’s way until it was dinner or some other group activity. Luhan decided to halt the training sessions until things calmed down in Greyfleur, so the group hadn’t spent much time together.

   Luhan and Kyungsoo were always together in his office, working out the finer details of their plan to enter the capital. When Luhan wasn’t in his office, he’d be out on some errand or another. Where he went, Sehun didn’t know, because Luhan never bothered to tell him things like that. Kyungsoo and Jeongri spent most of their time in the guest bedroom with the door closed, not that Sehun cared to look inside. Baekhyun was usually with Chanyeol doing some personal training in the back garden, but whenever Jeongri came out to join them, for some reason, Baekhyun would inevitably disappear. Those two never spent any time together, not since their duet a fortnight ago. Sometimes, Sehun would join in when Chanyeol was helping Jeongri train, but he never stayed long. He didn’t want to be put in a position where he had to be around Kyungsoo.

   It seemed that everyone had a goal or purpose except for Sehun. More often or not, he was left on the side, watching their group seemingly drift apart. Though to be honest, it wasn’t like they were a real group. They’d only been back together for a short time. Despite all these people, it was the same situation as it was ten years ago – no one ever had the time for him. They were all too absorbed in their own problems to pay any attention to him. Sehun sighed at his thoughts. At least today, he will be able to relieve some of the pent-up frustrations he’d been harbouring.

   Today would be the first day back to training as a group.

   Sehun had barely spent any time with Luhan in the last two weeks, not since Kyungsoo was around. But on the bright side, it seemed that Kyungsoo was avoiding him too, so it made things easier. Sehun was 100% positive that Kyungsoo was the cause of the bar attack, but he hadn’t felt any more of that malformed energy since that night. Still, Sehun kept his eye on Kyungsoo, waiting for him to slip up again. Maybe it was fear? Or, maybe it was jealousy? Sehun didn’t know. But one thing was for sure, he didn’t like Kyungsoo taking away Luhan’s time – laughing with him, joking with him, and being the equal that Sehun could never be.

   Pushing away those negative thoughts, Sehun focused on getting home. He turned the corner into a quieter street when the hair on the back of his neck stood up. Instantly, he whipped around, his eyes darting back and forth, scanning for danger. There was an evil presence lingering in the air. A young woman was walking behind him, her arms laden with grocery bags too. She gave Sehun a funny look before crossing to the other side of the road, hurrying away. Sehun watched her with narrowed eyes and eased up when she turned the corner, out of sight.

   He was so sure that he’d felt something, but perhaps the stress of waking up early was playing tricks on his mind. He continued down the path when suddenly, he felt it again – a hostile presence.

   “Sehunnie…” came a sing-song voice from out of sight, “You can sense me, can’t you?”

   Sehun backed away, fear clawing away at his skin. He knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter