Chapter 8

Kin's Love

"What do you want to know?" Yi Chen asked, sighing heavily as he settled back into his chair.

Yifan had chosen a spot as far away from Yixing as possible. "The curse,” the prince abruptly answered, “Who's cursed? Why are all of you so afraid?"

The King held up a hand as a signal for him to slow down. "You have heard the name 'Luhan' floating around occasionally."

Yifan nodded slowly, unsure of where this was going.

"He is your brother."

The prince nodded again, frustration curling through him. "But he's dead. That's what Henry told me when I asked in history."

"He was cursed by a sorceress the night before his christening." The words hung heavily in the room and Yifan's mouth dropped open. Before he could cut in, his father continued, "It was my fault." The King held his hand up again to silence the cries that filled the room at that statement. "I saw a stag while hunting nearly a year before Luhan was born. A stag with golden horns. I was compelled to shoot it. The stag died that day with his blood on my hands. I did not know that he was the pet of a sorceress or I would have never strayed from my party."

Yi Chen's expression was full of regret as he recounted the events of that fateful day. "The sorceress promised vengeance but I never took her words to heart until that night. She appeared in your brother's room, clad in black with glowing violet eyes. Raven, that was her name. She cursed my firstborn son to live every day of his life as a hart, only to turn human at the time of his birth which was midnight."

The King in a painful breath as he said his next words. "The day he turns twenty-five, he will be killed by an arrow shot by someone of his blood. We feared the repercussions of the curse so we sent him to live across the Mofa Forest in the ruins of Castle Adfelion."

Yifan gaped at his father. "So he is alive?" He yelped, staring at his father in disbelief.

“Yes and we had reason to believe that the sorceress had forgotten about him until I received a message sent by carrier pigeons from Luhan's caretaker that he heard a raven outside their window the night you shot him,” Duke Junseo spoke up, worry creasing between his eyes.

“Yixing reported hearing a raven as well the night you were unconscious,” Zhang Cheng added, running a hand along his son’s spine soothingly.

“Why wasn't I told?” Yifan asked, watching his father closely.

“Why do you think we’ve never let you out of the castle walls? We’re afraid that because she could not find Luhan, she would come after you. If you had known, it would have been a beacon for her.” Yi Chen sank into his chair, guilt written all over his face. Even after all those years, he still could not forgive himself for the dreadful thing he had done to his first born. “Zhang Cheng has been researching the curse ever since and all that we have found out is that Raven is the original sorceress that caused the uprising a long long time ago.”

Yixing could not suppress a gasp at this and all eyes turned to him.

“I found something else. Yifan asked me a question a week ago about what caused the uprising because Henry assigned that era to us as work,” Joonmyun put in, turning the attention towards him.

“Henry did what?” The king's jaw dropped open but his wife waved him off, more interested in hearing what Joonmyun had to say.

“It turns out that the person who caused Raven to fly into a rage enough to cause an uprising was not royalty," Joonmyun continued. "It was a man and that man was not a Wu.”

At this, Zhang Cheng tensed, a trace of a memory of his own family history coming back to him.

“Papa?” Yixing seemed to sense his father's uneasiness and looked up at him curiously.

Zhang Cheng shook his head. “No, it… It's nothing.”

The king was more concerned with what Joonmyun had to say and egged him on to continue, “Did you find out his heritage?” 

“I looked through the archives in the library but there was no trace. It seemed that because the man wasn't royalty, he wasn't deemed important enough to be written down.” Joonmyun deflated slightly, disappointed with himself that he could provide no more information.

“Not even when he caused the uprising?” Captain Huang interjected, surprised.

“I searched the entire section on the uprising last week and this is our last week here. I could go through it again but I doubt there would be anything,” Joonmyun answered, looking dejected.

Yifan who had been silent the entire time, lifted his head. “What if I searched with you? We might find something.”

Yixing’s mouth opened to protest that the prince had lessons to attend to but Yifan sent him such a poisonous look that his mouth clamped shut and he shrank away, forgotten guilt pooling back in his chest.

“You have your lessons, Yifan,” the king interjected, seeming to have read Yixing’s mind.

“But this is important! What good will my studies do if Raven comes for me?” Yifan cried out and Yi Chen flinched.

“Don't use her name. Names have power,” Zhang Cheng murmured, smoothing a hand through his son’s dark curls nervously. His mind was racing a million miles per minute, trying to recall that crucial bit of history he had been taught as a child. Liu Xing seemed to sense her husband’s inner turmoil and rested a hand on his shoulder gently.

“Father, please.” Yifan looked up at the King imploringly.

“Alright.” The king gave no resistance much to Yixing’s dismay. “And Yifan, tell no one. I have no idea who you would tell, but Zitao has no idea and Captain Huang has no desire to involve his son so please.”

Yifan nodded solemnly.

“So all we do is wait? Luhan only has a year left,” the queen spoke up, anxious eyes scanning the room.

“I want to visit him,” Yifan put in stubbornly.

“Absolutely not,” Yi Chen rebutted immediately. “Now that she has found you, allowing you to go would be suicide.”

Yifan looked absolutely gutted. “So now I'm not allowed to go anywhere? What about the hunts, Father, you promised I could attend the next one!”

The king looked like he completely regretted his decision right then. “I was hasty. Given the circumstances…” He began and Yifan’s face went black and he folded his arms across his chest.

"It's been a week and she has yet to do anything. I think it will be safe to let him go. But under heavy supervision," Zhang Cheng broke in, a chilling fear starting to bloom in his heart when the memory became crystal clear. "Yixing will..."

"No," Yifan and the healer started immediately. Yixing's face clouded with hurt and he looked away. The king looked questioningly at his friend.

"I want him here to help me look through some research," Zhang Cheng said. "We may find something in my ancestry accounts."

Yi Chen bit his lip worriedly. "But there is no one else who will watch him as closely." He fretted, not wanting to disappoint his son but there was still too much unknown for him to feel safe allowing his son to attend the hunt.

"We can extend our stay by a day. Joonmyun and I will stay by his side," Duke Junseo offered and Joonmyun looked thrilled to be able to stay one more day.

Yi Chen shifted, still looking unsure.

"I will put Zitao and Sehun along with Jongin if it will make you feel any better?" Captain Huang asked quietly.

Yifan looked up at his father pleadingly.

"Oh, alright." The king sighed and both Joonmyun and Yifan cheered.

Yixing looked down at the ground sadly and his father kneaded the back of his shoulders gently.

"There is still time before dinner for the two of you to go up to the library to begin looking. Let me or Zhang Cheng know immediately if you think you've found anything important."

Yifan grabbed Joonmyun by the arm and dragged him out just as Yixing got up from the floor. "Xing, I need you to..."

Zhang Cheng caught the look on his son's face and nodded slowly. "Meet me in my room when you're done."

 

The advisor hurried off after his friends, determined to catch them. "Yifan..." Yixing murmured, reaching out a hand to touch the prince just as he caught up with them. He watched with regret as Yifan's shoulders stiffened.

Joonmyun glanced between the two of them and stepped away. "I'll go and start looking first." He mumbled and practically ran down the hallway and out of sight.

Yixing moved nearer to his friend and was dismayed to see him step away, face dark with anger. "Yifan, I'm sorry." The advisor looked up at the prince's face and faltered in his next words. "I didn't..."

"You didn't what? Didn't think this was important enough to tell me? Or is it so important that you cannot tell your best friend? Am I not important enough to be told? Does our friendship mean anything to you at all? I seem to recall having this conversation with you only a week ago." Yifan sneered, fury boiling through him.

"Fan..." Yixing's face had gone pale and he reached for the prince's arm. "Don't 'Fan' me! You're supposed to be my best friend. We promised to have no secrets! I can forgive Joonmyun because he had no obligations to tell me, but to find out that you! You, of all people, lied to me when I asked." His volume grew louder and louder and the passing maids were turning around to look.

Yixing's face was as pale as a sheet and there were tears gathering in the corners of his eyes. "Yifan...I... I'm so sorry." He pressed his lips tightly together to stop the sob that was rising up in his throat. "I'm so sorry."

Yifan took one look at him and turned away, bile rising in the back of his throat at how angry and betrayed he felt. "Is that all you can say?” The advisor remained silent, hanging his head. “I don't want to speak to you anymore. I trusted you, Yixing. I trusted you." The prince's tone was cold and his face was stony as he walked away.

Yixing could feel his heart shattering to the floor as he watched his best friend walk away from him. A sob tore its way out of his throat despite his resistance and he pressed a hand to cover his mouth before turning and running in the other direction towards his own chambers, completely forgetting about his father. A tear trickled down his face as he fumbled blindly for the door knob and slammed the door shut behind him before sliding into the floor, burying his face in his hands. His heart throbbed painfully at the memory of the look Yifan had given him before he had left. Yixing pressed the heel of his palm against his eyes at the feeling of more tears threatening to spill over. He hated to cry, hated it even more that Yifan’s words could affect him so much. He shuddered, fighting back a lump in his throat and leaned against the door. Another tear trickled down his face and he sniffled furiously, raising a hand to wipe the tear away angrily.

Keep yourself together, Zhang Yixing. He is a prince. Your friendship could only last so long. The advisor choked back a sob and rose to his feet. He was tired and worn out. Dinner could wait. Yixing flung himself onto his bed and drew the bedcovers tightly around him. He did not want to see anybody and he did not want to have to meet Yifan’s eyes at dinner. He curled up on the bed, burying his face into his pillow and tried to forget the prince’s face. Time stopped mattering as he let himself lie there, eyes staring at the ceiling and pretending that there were no tears running down the planes of his face and soaking his pillow. He barely reacted when he heard the knocks on his door, choosing to close his eyes and pretend he was asleep instead.

 

-

 

Dinner was a quiet affair, Yifan picking at his food in favour of thinking about the hurt look on his best friend’s face at his harsh words. He jabbed at a piece of chicken angrily.

Joonmyun looked over worriedly. “We were both explicitly told not to tell you,” he murmured softly, hoping that his words would soothe the prince’s temper.

“I don't want to talk about it,” Yifan muttered, sticking the chicken into his mouth and harshly cutting another piece.

Joonmyun admitted defeat and withdrew. He hated seeing them out of sorts. Yixing and Yifan had been his closest friends since they were children and they rarely fought. But Yixing was absent from the dinner table and that was never a good sign. Zhang Cheng had looked plenty worried at his son’s disappearance but decided against asking questions.

 

-

 

“Yixing?” Liu Xing poked her head around the door and sighed when she saw her son lying face down on the bed, Yixing having changed position halfway through his thinking.  “Yixing.” She walked over to the bedside and threaded her fingers through her son’s dark curls. “I know you're awake.”

Yixing lifted his head out of the covers and the gardener could clearly see the tear tracks dried on his face. Yixing looked at his mother and back down at his sheets with a lump in his throat.

“Oh, little star.” Liu Xing wrapped her arms around her son and he burst into tears, muffling his sobs into her chest.

“He hates me. He never wants to speak to me again.” Yixing sobbed, clutching at his mother’s shirt. He shook his head and his mother pulled him close, allowing him to bury his face into the crook of her neck.

“He’ll come around, sweetheart.” Liu Xing rested her chin on her son’s shoulder and patted his back tenderly.

“I'm being such a baby about it, aren't I?” Yixing sniffed, feeling rather ashamed of himself.

“It's normal to feel this way when you're in love with him, little star,” his mother answered, pulling away to look at her son in the eye.

“I am not! He's my best friend and I hate it when he’s mad at me,” Yixing protested, tugging his covers up to swathe himself in them.

Liu Xing smoothed his fringe away from his eyes and smiled tenderly. “It's very obvious, you know, how much you adore him.”

Yixing’s mouth dropped open. “Mama! He is a prince!”

His mother only laughed and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “I doubt that matters to anyone.”

“Mama?” Yixing murmured as she held him. “Hm?” Liu Xing hummed softly and looked down at her beloved son. “I'm hungry.”

 

-

 

The next morning, Yixing approached the prince's bed with a lot more caution than usual. "It's time to get up, Your Highness," he murmured timidly as he drew open the curtains.

Yifan stirred awake as the sunlight streamed in the bay windows. He opened his eyes and Yixing watched sadly when his brows immediately creased and he frowned. Without saying a word, he got out of bed and started rummaging through his wardrobe for his clothes. Yixing hid the hurt expression away and followed the prince into the adjoining bathroom. He was reaching for the loofah when Yifan spoke.

"I have a maid washing me today," his tone was so cold that the advisor barely suppressed a shiver. He did not sound like Yifan at all. Yifan had always been friendly toward him no matter how mad he had gotten before. The hope that had flared up in Yixing's chest overnight died instantly and his hand retracted quickly as if it had been stung.

The prince did not remove his clothes but watched with cold eyes as the advisor exited the room. Only then, did he remove his clothes and summon the maid to wash and clothe him.

 

Yixing wandered along the halls, alone. He never had such free time in the morning before. It had always been him who washed the prince and dressed him so he had always appeared at breakfast with him. Now it seemed that Yifan intended to replace him with someone else and the thought filled him with pain. It hurt him to know that Yifan seemed to no longer care for him.

The advisor headed for the library for he knew that there was still an hour to breakfast and the royal family would still be preparing for the day. He tugged lightly at the collar of his blue sweater nervously. Spring was approaching fast and Luhan's twenty third birthday would pass all too soon. He wondered idly how the first born prince was doing as he pushed open the library door. The advisor delved into the shelves with renewed vigor at the thought. If Yifan would not allow the advisor to protect him, the least he could do was to return him a brother who could protect him in his place.

He was nose deep in a book when Joonmyun found him. "Morning." The lord smiled when Yixing jumped and nearly dropped the book in surprise. "You're early."

Yixing gave him a faint smile before turning back to his book. "Yifan got a maid to wash him instead so I thought I'd come down and get started."

Joonmyun winced as he rose onto his toes to pull down a book from the shelf. "Ouch, I'm sorry." He blew off the dust that clung to the cover and cracked open it open. "I just thought I would finish my paper before it is due next week."

Yixing nodded, turning his attention back to the chapter he was reading. 

"Xing, are you okay? You didn't come for dinner last night and your father was worried." Joonmyun looked at his friend with genuine concern in his eyes.

Yixing waved him off, determinedly keeping his eyes fixed on the page he was reading. "I'll be fine, Joon. Now get on with your paper. It'll be breakfast soon before you know it." Joonmyun kept his gaze locked on Yixing until the advisor looked up at him. "Joon, please. I don't want to talk about it." Yixing's voice was soft and vulnerable, so different from the light, sarcastic tone the lord was so used to.

"Okay." Joonmyun nodded before glancing down at his book.

 

-

 

Breakfast was incredibly awkward, the regents having gotten used to Yixing and Yifan's light banter as they ate but the prince had moved to the other side of the table to sit with Zitao, leaving Yixing to eat with Joonmyun. Yi Chen exchanged looks with his wife as they sat down to breakfast, rather startled at the sudden change in seating arrangements. The silent treatment continued for the next few days throughout Joonmyun's last week with them.

“Yifan isn't speaking to him and it's killing him,” Liu Xing murmured softly to her husband late one night.

Yifan had been particularly brutal that evening, excitedly describing the shooting practice he had done with Zitao while taking a break from the dusty archives. Yixing had not been invited to search the archives with them even though his expertise would have been much appreciated and he had been silent the entire meal, just moving food listlessly around his plate. His colour had been off the entire week and he seemed to have lost his voracious appetite.

Zhang Cheng had been involving him in searching through his family archives but so far, they've had no luck. The healer was relieved that Yixing had not asked questions about why his father thought they could find an answer in the healer's family history even though that in itself was unusual. Yixing questioned everything but Zhang Cheng supposed that Yifan ignoring him must have had an effect on his head. He just quietly went through the trunks and chests that his father asked him to, not a single question passing his lips.

“I know. He's so in love that it's painful to watch,” Zhang Cheng whispered back. Watching Yixing fall apart without his best friend was painful but the memory of that history held a terrible fear for the healer and he half hoped that he would be proven wrong and that his memory was faulty.

Yifan having been given leave off his lessons meant that they hardly saw him; he was always with Joonmyun in the archives or with Zitao on the shooting range whenever they needed a break. Sometimes, Yixing would stand quietly out of sight to watch them shoot before returning to the vaults where his father kept his old books and history scrolls. The silent treatment frustrated Joonmyun the most because he wanted to spend the time with his friends before he had to go home for a month or two, but Yifan refused to breathe the same air as Yixing and Yixing never invited himself along because he knew exactly what Yifan thought of him in that moment. The advisor spent a lot of time in the stables and arena alone, riding Scorpio and generally just getting used to the lack of Yifan.

The excitement in the air in the days leading up to the hunt was obvious. Yifan was thrilled to be able to leave the castle again, albeit with a heavy security system. Yixing had taken to spending dinnertime in the library, throwing himself full force into researching the curse. He was determined to find a cure for one very selfish reason: for Yifan to look at him with that fond expression again. Joonmyun would often find him curled up in the armchair beside the fireplace where they used to spend hours as kids, with a book, quill and notebook on the side table. He refused to talk about Yifan, changing the subject every time it was brought up and avoiding all contact with the prince. Yifan did not have to actively avoid him because he was doing all the hard work.

“Are you never going to forgive him?” Joonmyun asked the prince, two days before the hunt. The two of them were sharpening the tips of their arrows in preparation and also, taking a break from the archives of the library.

Yifan hummed, focusing his gaze on the arrow tip.

“Yifan, I asked you a question,” the lord raised his voice and the prince looked up from his arrows, an annoyed look on his face.

Yifan would never admit it but he missed his best friend. He missed how easily he could just pull Yixing into bed with him whenever he was feeling lonely, he missed hearing Yixing's laughter every time he made a good joke, he missed the dimple that appeared every time his advisor gave him that sweet gentle smile. He missed a lot of things about Yixing but he was still mad, still too proud to admit that he wanted his best friend, his shadow back. “It was unforgivable,” he said stubbornly, striking the arrow too hard, causing it to slip and slash across his finger. “Damn it!” he cried out in frustration and

Joonmyun hurried over to look. “We need to get that cleaned up. If Yixing was here, he’d have a handkerchief but we’ll have to go the infirmary to get that wrapped up.”

The prince glared at him and put his finger into his mouth to the blood off. His friend grimaced at him but they left their arrows to get his hand looked at. I miss him. Yifan admitted to himself as Zhang Cheng wrapped up his hand.

 

Two days later, much to Yifan’s consternation, his father had changed his mind and refused to allow him to go unless Yixing rode as well.

“But his father needs him here!” the prince pleaded, unwillingly.

The King had proclaimed that at dinner and Zhang Cheng had gotten a strange look on his face before he allowed his son to ride. Yixing had made no comment and instead nodded quietly. Yifan had fumed silently while Joonmyun practically danced a jig in the seat beside him.

“I trust no one to look after you as well as Yixing does. Besides, it will give you a chance to fix whatever was broken between the two of you, in case you think I haven't noticed,” the king commented wryly as he got ready for bed.

“Why is everyone so concerned about our relationship? So this is a ploy for us to make up? We just had a disagreement!” Yifan folded his arms across his chest, looking like a spoilt kid who had not gotten what he wanted.

“Your disagreement is making everyone uncomfortable so do yourself and everyone a favour and make up with him.” Yi Chen narrowed his eyes and shooed his son out of the room. “Now go, we have an early morning ahead of us and you need to be fully rested.”