Chapter 12

Kin's Love

“My father told me something that may be related to the sorceress that day when we returned from Luhan’s castle,” Yixing said as he spread out a piece of parchment and Yifan settled in the chair opposite him.

“Yeah?” The prince leaned across the table to look at the massive book the advisor had set on the table prior. “What about what happened the next day?” Yifan narrowed his eyes when his best friend kept his eyes on the table.

“It turns out that the man who was responsible for the uprising is not a Wu,” Yixing continued, ignoring the prince’s question, eyes firmly fixed on the parchment spread out in front of him.

Yifan felt a wave of frustration sweep over him. After they had sent Joonmyun off that day, he had tried to catch Yixing privately again to talk about what they had done, but the advisor had vanished for the entire morning and afternoon, only to reappear in the dining room for dinner.

Since then, Yixing had actively avoided him and only when the King had asked about how the curse breaking was going did he reluctantly sit down to look over the books with the prince. “Apparently one of my ancestors had lain with the sorceress…”

“Yixing!” Yifan snapped, slamming a hand down the table forcefully. The inkwell jumped with the force, splattering its contents all over the parchment and the advisor’s hand. Yixing, much to the prince’s frustration, kept his gaze on the table even as he reached for something to clean up the mess.

“Yixing,” the prince said, softer now. Seeing no reaction from the advisor, he continued. “Are we not going to talk about it?” His best friend shifted in his seat before shaking the fringe out of his eyes.

“Talk about what?” Yixing asked, eyes not meeting Yifan’s.

The prince’s eyes narrowed. “You know what,” he dropped his voice a tone lower and Yixing dropped his gaze even further.

“Oh, that.” The advisor lifted a hand and swept aside his fringe again, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible even when his heart started thumping hard at the reminder. Truth was, he had never stopped thinking about the kiss. He had even been on the verge of telling his parents several times.

Yifan waited, eyes focused solely on his best friend. The advisor sank his teeth into his plump lower lip and worried it, avoiding the prince’s gaze.

“Let's just forget about it. I… I wish it didn't happen, to…to be honest,” Yixing stuttered over the lie when he saw the prince’s expression.

“You…wish it didn't happen,” Yifan stated, trying to contain his disappointment. He rose from his seat and moved closer to the advisor.

Yixing flinched into his seat when the prince loomed over him, face as dark as a raging storm. A large hand wrapped around the advisor’s collar and hauled him to his feet so suddenly that he cried out in surprise.

“This never happened,” Yifan whispered lowly before he crushed his mouth against his best friend’s.

Yixing gasped at the sudden pressure against his mouth, lips parting as he did so. The prince’s tongue slipped into his open mouth and the advisor accidentally released a moan, hand going up to cup Yifan’s face. He kissed back just as fervently, whatever he had been saying before flying out of his mind.

“You're such a liar, Yixing,” his best friend whispered against his lips, his plump bottom lip into his mouth.

Yixing whimpered when Yifan yanked him closer, barely registering the flash of pain in his newly healed rib when the prince was the inside of his mouth in such a way that made his knees weak. “Your…Your Highness!” he gasped when the prince moved his sinful mouth to his sensitive neck. “You can't! People will see!” Yixing cried out when he felt teeth graze against the skin of his neck.

That jolt of reality was what made Yifan pull away, lifting a hand to touch his swollen mouth. “That didn't happen,” the prince repeated, eyes dark and he turned away, much to Yixing’s surprise, before walking out of the room. The advisor was left in the study with swollen lips, a faint red mark on his neck, staring at the retreating figure of the prince and wondering what just happened.

 

-

 

"Be careful with that," Zitao cautioned when Yifan pulled back the bowstring harder than normal. The arrow exploded from the bow so hard that when it hit the target board, it splintered. “Whoa. What's with you?” The guard looked shocked at the display. The prince shook his head and plopped himself heavily onto the ground.

“Nothing much,” Yifan muttered, trying to rid himself of the images of Yixing plaguing his mind. It had been a stupid idea to kiss him like that, but he needed closure, needed to know how Yixing truly felt. As it turned out, his best friend may or may not like him in that manner.

“This is about Yixing ge isn’t it?” Zitao settled onto the ground beside the prince and leaned back onto his hands.

“Maybe.” Yifan slurred, picking at his bowstring.

“Figures. The two of you haven’t been as glued together as much as usual. What did you do now?” The guard said, reaching over to snatch the bow out of the prince’s hand. “Cut that out before you break it.”

“Me? Why would you think I did something?” Yifan looked over at his friend, offended.

“Because Yixing ge is smart. You’re as dumb as an ox sometimes, Yifan ge,” Zitao drawled nonchalantly, a smirk pulling at the corner of his lips.

“You little brat.” The prince laughed and pulled the younger into a headlock, holding him down as he gasped for air. They were so preoccupied that they did not notice the advisor walking up to the range.

“If the two of you are quite finished.” Yixing's clear melodious voice floated across the archery range and Yifan turned around to see him standing at the entrance, the corner of his mouth quirked with amusement. The smile slipped off the prince’s face and he released Zitao, turning around to school his face into a cold expression.

The advisor’s smile faltered slightly but he stuck it out. “It's nearly dinnertime,” he said, eyes locked on Yifan’s form. The prince met his gaze steadily and unflinching.

The staring contest ended when Zitao exclaimed, “The two of you are hopeless! Count me out of your love slash hate fest. I'm heading for dinner.” The guard picked up the prince’s bow from the ground and practically ran from the archery range.

“Yifan…” Yixing moved towards the prince, hand outstretched.

Yifan eyed him with something like distaste in his eyes and turned his back, trying not to think about the hurt expression that was surely crossing the advisor’s face right then. He walked out of the range with his shoulders stiff and muscles tense, using all his power not to turn around and hold Yixing close. He did not see how the advisor gnawed on his lower lip, and let his hand fall to his side, looking very defeated.

 

“What’s with all the long faces?” Yi Chen asked curiously as they all sat down to dinner. Yixing and Yifan were seated on opposite ends of the table, his son looking as if someone had murdered his favourite horse, and the advisor as if he had been the one to do it.

“Nothing.” Yifan muttered, stabbing his fork almost violently into his meat.

Lan Ling raised her eyebrows. “If it’s nothing, then why are you mutilating your poor steak?” she commented mildly, seeing the colour rise in her son’s face.

“It’s just steak, Mother.” Yifan poked at the meat again, avoiding Yixing’s eyes.

“Are we back to the Yifan ignoring Yixing period?” Zhang Cheng asked, watching his son’s face closely. The advisor lifted a carrot to his mouth, crunching on it loudly to avoid answering questions.

“Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I feel as if I could cut the tension with a knife, it is that thick right now.” Yi Chen raised his voice, setting down his knife with a loud clang. The sudden sound startled the silent men and they raised their eyes towards the king.

“Finish your dinner and hurry up. Two weeks of misery was enough, I do not want to go through that again.” A command from the king was a command and Yixing quickened his speed, nearly choking on a mouthful of the crème brulee that had been brought out for dessert.

The king whispered something to Jongin, the guard on duty that night and the smirk on the guard’s face made something uneasy stir in Yifan’s gut as he finished his dessert.

“What the actual…” Yifan yelped when rough hands manhandled him out of his chair. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Yixing being dragged out of his chair as well, crying out when they jostled him too hard. He was haunted by his father’s smirking face as the dining room doors closed behind him and he was shuffled roughly into his chambers.

“What’s happening?!” he cried out when Jongin bolted the doors when he had left. He did not have to wait long to find out. A few seconds later, the doors were opened again and he heard Yixing’s pained cry when he practically fell into the room. The prince caught him, however, before he hit the floor.

They found themselves pressed awkwardly close together before Yixing very slowly backed out of the circle of his arms and stood with a short distance from him, twisting his hands and smiling nervously. "Are you going to just stand there?” Yifan grumbled as he rose to his feet. His best friend had dropped the strained smile in favour of giving him his best ‘we need to talk’ puppy expression. He could never deny Yixing for very long.

“I'm sorry,” the advisor mumbled, walking forward to wrap his arms hesitantly around his best friend. He looked up at the prince with a small pout on his lips when Yifan made no move to hug him back.

The prince sighed; Yixing never used the puppy eyes often enough for him to build up a resistance to it. He wrapped his arms around his best friend and squeezed him tight.

“I'm sorry,” Yixing mumbled into his shirt once more, “I won't avoid you again.”

Yifan rested his chin on top of his best friend’s shoulder and blew out a long puff of air, tickling him as punishment.

“Yixing.” 

“Hm?” The advisor hummed, snuggling into the prince’s arms.

“What are we?” Yifan murmured, slowly pulling away to look at his best friend.

Yixing faltered, dropping his eyes to the floor. “Xing?” The prince cocked his head to the side in confusion at his best friend’s reaction. “I…I don’t know.” The advisor stammered, not meeting Yifan’s eyes.

“It’s not hard, is it, Xing?” Yifan could feel frustration rise up in him again and struggled to tamp it down. “We both like each other. That much is obvious. Shouldn’t it be easy?”

“You’re a prince, Yifan! You will be king someday and I’m your advisor.”  Yixing muttered, looking exasperated. “I have no place beside you other than to give advice. Besides, people will talk and your father has to approve.” He flushed and looked away, embarrassed that he was even giving the relationship a second thought.

Yifan shook his head in disbelief, stepping forward to sweep Yixing into his arms again. “You’re such an idiot. My father would want me to propose on the spot if he knew, he admires you so. Hush, let me finish.” He pressed a finger to the advisor’s lips to silence his protests. “People always talk, that’s why they have mouths for. It doesn’t matter to me. And you, you will always have a place next to me because you’re my best friend and we can be whatever you want us to be if you’re uncomfortable with this… and I’m rambling again, aren’t I?” The prince stopped, his eyes dropping to meet his best friend’s.

“I like you,” Yixing mumbled shyly, and Yifan groaned. “We’ve established that, Xing. Now just please let me know if I can kiss you or shall we stay the same we have always been because you’re doing that lip biting thing and I really really want to umph!”

Yixing’s plump lips pressing against his cut off whatever he had been about to say and Yifan smiled, arms wrapping around his best friend’s waist to pull him even closer. His lips curved into a smile and he felt Yixing smile into the kiss.

“You're such a weirdo,” His best friend muttered against Yifan’s mouth. “I can feel you smiling, Your Highness.”

Yifan pinched his side in punishment as he pulled away, still smiling widely. “Don't call me that.” He muttered over his best friend’s yelp of pain.

 

-

 

“Father, what do you think of Yixing?” Yifan asked, looking at his father very seriously.

The king glanced up from his papers in surprise. “I assume my method worked then?” He quirked an eyebrow at the flush that covered his son’s face.

“Answer the question, Father,” the prince said, his face hot.

Yi Chen laid down the quill he had in his hand and rested his chin on his hands. “He’s… possibly the only one I would trust with your life. He’s responsible, level headed and kind.” Smirking, he looked right at his son. “I’d say if it were up to me, I would wed you to him.”

That comment made Yifan’s fading blush flare right back, even stronger than before. “Father!” he gasped, scandalised.

“I give you my blessing, Yifan.” The king grinned at how red his son was and how quickly he thanked him and vanished out the door.

Yifan pressed his large hands to his flaming face. He did not think he had ever blushed that hard in his entire life. His father always had to do that. He groaned internally when he realised that he had one more parent to speak to and it was one conversation he was dreading. He cursed his entire upbringing as he made his way to the infirmary.

“Yifan. It's a surprise to see you here.” Zhang Cheng looked up when a tall shadow fell over him. The prince was standing by his desk, twisting his hands nervously. “What's the matter?” The healer looked amusedly at the prince’s reaction.

“I… I came to ask permission,” Yifan stuttered and Zhang Cheng’s gaze sharpened. “I want to court your son.”

The words did not surprise the healer as he had suspected Yifan had feelings for Yixing before but what did surprise him was how nervous the prince looked. “Have you spoken to your father?” he asked instead. The prince nodded quietly and the healer shrugged. “You may. But if you hurt him in anyway, if you break his heart, I will end you.” His tone was serious enough to make Yifan quiver in his boots and he nodded fervently.

“I won't hurt him.” He promised, a slow smile spreading across his face.

Later that night, Yifan effortlessly pulling Yixing into bed with him just as the advisor bid him goodnight. "Sleep with me, little star.”

“Yifan!” The advisor yelped, struggling against his friend’s vice like grip. The prince slung a long leg across Yixing’s thighs and pinned him onto the bed. “Oi, get off!” Yixing squirmed and thrashed weakly, pushing at Yifan’s chest in an effort to keep the prince from crushing him.

“Stay with me,” Yifan whined, wrapping an arm around the advisor’s waist and pulling him against him.

Yixing gasped at the close proximity to Yifan’s face and he could feel his heart beat faster. The prince smirked lazily and bent to press a kiss on the advisor’s nose. “Damn it.” Yixing breathed, nuzzling his head into the crook of his best friend’s neck.

“You can't resist me.” Yifan teased and his friend kicked him. “I asked your dad for permission to court you.” He watched as the long lashes fluttered and blinked up at him.

“What did he say?” Yixing mumbled sleepily, allowing Yifan to draw him closer.

“He told me that if I hurt you, I will die.”

Yixing smiled against Yifan’s skin and kissed his neck. “You would never hurt me. I would hurt you first.” He giggled, drawing circles on the prince’s stomach.

“That's true.” Yifan grinned and his best friend yawned, turning onto his side to wrap an arm loosely around his waist. “Good night.” He heard him mumble and then he heard a soft answering rumble. Yixing was already fast asleep.

 

-

 

“The two of you are disgusting.” Zitao glared, his eyes practically burning holes into the backs of the couple.

Yifan had begged Yixing to take a day off from research after so many days spent cooped up in the library and had arranged a romantic picnic at the pavilion in the middle of the maze. The prince had managed to convince Zitao to help him organise the entire thing. It was safe to say, that the guard may be regretting his decision right then.

The advisor was currently, standing at the edge of the pavilion with a black cloth tied around his eyes. “Yifan.” Yixing sighed in vexation as he was left quite literally, in the dark about what was about to happen.

“Alright, alright.”

There was a soft pressure on the back of his head where the black cloth was knotted snugly before the blackness before his eyes fell away. The glare from the sun was startling, compared to the darkness he had been in before and the advisor winced, blinking so rapidly that his eyes teared up slightly. His jaw hit the ground when he saw what was before him.

The pavilion had been given an absolute makeover. Green vines twined around the white Grecian pillars, creating a thorny forest.  The baby pink roses peeked through the thick wall of vines like little surprises and the heavenly scent of rose floated through the air. A curtain of hazel green willow branches hung around the entire pavilion, shielding the inside from prying eyes. Yixing’s eyes were as wide as saucers as he took in the sight around him. A hand gently wound around his waist caught his attention and he turned slightly, mouth still agape to look up into his best friend’s amber eyes.

Yifan beamed at the look of awe on Yixing’s face and spoke softly so as not to ruin the mood. “Do you like it?” Even without a verbal response, he could see the answer on Yixing’s face.

“You…you did all this?” The advisor gaped up at him, flabbergasted.

The prince tucked a lock of curly brown hair that had come loose behind Yixing ear before replying with a self satisfied smile. “I had your mother help me with the arrangements but I designed all this.”

Slim fingers threaded their way into his golden hair and tugged gently, pulling him down to Yixing’s level. “You’re such a romantic,” the advisor whispered fondly before pressing his lips against the prince’s affectionately. “Thank you,” he breathed, leaning his head against the crook of Yifan’s neck.

“You're welcome.” The prince ran his fingers through the dark hair that was already starting to curl, shooting a smug smile towards Zitao’s direction. The guard narrowed his eyes and stuck his tongue out. “C’mon, let’s eat. I'm starving. Zitao can go now.” Yifan rested a hand gently on Yixing’s slim waist and steered him towards the willow curtain.

The guard shrugged and disappeared as the prince reached for the green drapery.

Yifan held the branches aside for Yixing to pass through and smirked at his best friend’s reaction to the interior. The willow branches were dense enough to block out most of the rays from the setting sun so the prince could set out candle displays. There was a table set up in the middle of the pavilion, a crisp white tablecloth spread across it. Silver cutlery were set out in two places and a silver candelabra took center stage. The light of the candle danced with the occasional wind, yellow light reflecting off the silver surfaces. There were more roses, of the same baby pink colour, peeking down at them.

“Oh, Yifan.” Yixing sighed dreamily. “It's beautiful.”

“Nowhere near as beautiful as you.” The prince ducked away when the advisor's hand whacked at his arm. It turned out to be a hidden show of affection as Yixing pulled him close for another kiss. “Cheese ball,” he whispered, resting his forehead against Yifan’s.

“Come on, the food will get cold.” The prince smiled and pulled away slowly. He held the chair out for his best friend and took his seat.

“When did you even plan this?” Yixing stared in wonder as a servant entered the pavilion to clear the plates and serve the salad. “We were always in the library together.” He reached for the dressings, delicately displayed in a china boat.

Yifan smirked and wiggled his eyebrows. “You’ll never know.” He intoned with a deep voice, making his best friend laugh. 

Once they'd finished the meal and sat around talking, they headed back to the palace. "Thank you for that, Yifan. I didn't realise how much I needed that." Yixing smiled sincerely as the prince brushed aside the branches with one hand locked around his waist.

"You deserved it. You work so hard." Yifan drew the advisor closer to him until their shoulders were touching. A servant had lit the lanterns the prince had ordered to be hung after nightfall and the pavilion was bathed in a gentle orange light that gave Yixing's light brown hair a reddish tint. Unconsciously, the advisor sought out for his best friend's hand and Yifan smiled at him when he felt the warm pressure of Yixing's hand lacing through his. Yixing was wearing that white outfit again, the one Yifan had declared his favourite and his reasoning had been that it made his best friend look like an angel. 

 

The stars shone down brightly upon them as they walked slowly through the maze, just enjoying each other's company without words. The air was beautiful and fresh with many of the night blooming flowers releasing their fragrances into the air. As they passed a hedge trimmed with snow coloured flowers shaped like a full moon, Yifan broke the silence and pointed at the sweet smelling blossoms curiously. "I could have sworn those were not here when I walked past this afternoon," he remarked, looking puzzled.

Yixing laughed. "Of course they weren't. These are moonflowers. They only bloom in the evening all through the night and close when touched by the morning sun. The scientific name is Ipomoea alba but it's also called moon vine. They look really magical don't they?"

The prince looked at his best friend in awe. "I always knew you were smart but I never knew you could remember scientific names like that," he declared in admiration. His best friend beamed with pride and reached out a hand to caress the petals of the moon flower gently. The blossoms were silky soft against his skin and reminded him of his favourite comforter.

"This is actually my favourite flower," Yixing admitted as he withdrew his hand. The moonflower seemed to glow softly in the light of the moon as he released it and he inhaled its fragrance with a soft smile. "It's so beautiful and mystical."  The advisor sighed.

Yifan smoothed away a lock of chestnut brown hair that was curling into Yixing's eyes and looked at him fondly. "You're beautiful," he murmured, reaching out a hand to cup the advisor's jaw. His best friend blushed and turned away.

"Stop it, you." Yixing lifted a hand to cradle the prince's hand and looked up into his eyes.

The moment their eyes connected, Yixing felt as if he was drowning in pools of honey. He could not pull his gaze away, stretching upwards as Yifan leaned down to connect their lips. It was more electric than their second kiss as the prince held him close with an arm around his waist and a hand cradling his face. With the scent of moonflowers all around them, Yixing melted into Yifan's arms, feeling as if he had been transported to a happy place where it was just the two of them. The need for air eventually forced them to part, Yifan his swollen lips so sensually that the advisor felt something twitch in his pants. He kept himself together however when the prince smiled so sweetly at him and offered him his arm.

They were so entranced by each other that neither noticed the black raven glaring from a hazel branch across the garden, violet eyes glowing eerily in the night.

 

-

 

Before his son barely had a chance to catch his breath, Zhang Chen was upon Yixing the next morning, more determined than ever to find a cure. The healer had decided to keep the true object of the sorceress's affections a secret for the moment after he failed to inform his son the first time, choosing to use the king's method of avoiding it instead.

Seeing as his father had not informed the prince about his discoveries, Yixing took heed from the last time he hid a secret from his best friend and took it upon himself to let the prince know.

The prince frowned. "So the man who caused the uprising was one of your ancestors? And Raven led the uprising as revenge all for a lost child?"

Yixing winced and whacked the prince across the thigh. "Don't say her name. Names have power."

Yifan rolled his eyes but scribbled something onto his already cluttered piece of parchment. "But that explains nothing. It doesn't explain why Ra...the sorceress is going after my brother." He glanced across at his best friend who was scrawling something onto his own parchment.

"I don't know either. But here, my father gave me a list of the boy's attributes. Knock yourself out with it. I have yet to find a connection."

Yifan tucked the list carefully away into a notebook and looked at the pile of books in front of them. "Well what have we got so far that could help?" he asked wearily running his hands through his hair.

"Nothing." Yixing dropped his quill in defeat, creating an ink spot on his parchment by accident. "It's getting pretty late though. Think we should head to bed?"

The prince yawned and stretched, wary of knocking over the inkwell beside his work. "I guess."

 

Up in his room, Yixing was slipping into his night clothes when his spine prickled, chills running through his body and he felt as if there were eyes boring holes into his body. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw something move in the darkness just outside his window. Sweat beaded at his hairline as he pulled on his shirt, his hands going clammy. His muscles tensed when he detected more movement outside. Don't be foolish, it's probably nothing. He scolded himself as he moved towards the window. Pulling the heavy drapes close, he breathed a small sigh. He was getting too paranoid.

Downstairs in the healer's bedroom, he too felt as if he was being watched as he climbed into bed with his wife. As he blew out the lamps, Zhang Cheng glanced towards the window where he had left the drapes slightly open and his heart nearly stopped. There was a soft violet light emanating from outside the glass. Terror exploded through him and he flung off the covers, startling his wife as he raced to the window and looked outside into the darkness of the night.

"Love? What's wrong?" Liu Xing sat up from their bed, concerned by her husband's behavior.

"There...there was something..." Zhang Cheng stammered, disconcerted. His wife climbed out of bed to join him at the window and together, they looked out. There was nothing but inky blackness and the occasional blink of a star.

"There's nothing there. Are you alright? You're shaking like a leaf, Cheng." Liu Xing wrapped her arms around her husband worriedly.

"I just...I'm going to check on Yixing." The healer carefully extracted himself from his wife, fear for his son rushing through him.

His wife nodded quietly. "I'll come with you."

Zhang Cheng was relieved when he pushed open the door to his son's room, to find Yixing sleeping peacefully in his bed, covers pulled up his chin as he lay on his side. He moved towards the bed, anxiety all but dissipated. Gently, he laid a hand on his son's hair, sitting down on the bed. Yixing barely stirred, breathing even as he slept, chest rising and falling with each deepened breath.

"I love you, little star." Zhang Cheng whispered, leaning down to press a kiss against Yixing's forehead. His wife smiled at him fondly and leaned forward as he rose. She pressed a tender kiss to her son's pale cheek and whispered. "Sleep well, my darling."

 


Contrary to what his mother had wished him, Yixing did not sleep well. After his parents had left the room, his sweet dreams turned nasty, black smoke and violent violet light filling the vision. A young woman stood at the center of the vortex of swirling smoke, cradling a child. A young man, presumably her husband stood nearby, a worried look on his face. The woman was smiling so brightly, so happily at the child that for a moment, Yixing thought that everything would be okay.

Then the dream went south all too quickly. The black smoke got darker and swirled faster, angrier and the violet light penetrated through his dream so brightly that it hurt his eyes. He saw the man holding a cloth bundle and slipping out of a black stone castle in the dead of the night, saw him sprinkling what looked like herbs on the ground outside a palace and outside a room door and his mouth moving, as if he was chanting. He felt the woman's rage in the vibrant red and violet that filled his vision, nearly overcoming the black when she awoke to find her child stolen and her husband missing. He felt her frustration as she searched frantically with a crystal shard in hand for her beloved son, felt the pain and fury in her heart when the fatal bolt pierced her son's heart.

Before the silent dream ended, Yixing heard a terrible thing. "You will pay for his death! I will hunt you down and Raven, Raven will get her son back! MARK MY WORDS, ZHANG WULIAN! One day, I will have vengeance! And my son, I will get him back!" 

With those furious words ringing in his ears, Yixing struggled out of the nightmare’s clutches as the morning sunlight pierced his eyes. He blinked and for a moment, it seemed as he was still trapped inside the vision when he struggled in the sweat soaked sheets that he had somehow managed to tangle himself in.

"Hey. You okay?" The familiar honeyed voice trickled into his ears, calming him immediately.

"Yifan?" he croaked weakly, squirming one arm free to touch his best friend.

"Yeah." The prince settled himself beside the advisor, wrapping his arms around him gently. "Oh, ick. You're all sweaty."

Yixing managed a smile at that. He was completely drenched in sweat and his fringe was matted to his forehead.

"Was it terrible?" Yifan asked quietly, pressing a kiss against Yixing's temple.

"What?" the advisor asked, still feeling rather short of breath from the nightmare.

"The dream." The prince rested his chin gently on his best friend's shoulder.

"I...I barely remember it now." It was not a lie. Yixing found that when he tried to recall the dream, he came up blank. Yifan looked at him curiously as he struggled to remember. "All I remember is black and violet." He confessed at last, carefully untangling himself from the sheets.