Chapter 4

Kin's Love

“You need to be more careful, Little Star,” Zhang Cheng reprimanded gently as he wrapped a bandage around his son’s wrist. Yixing hung his head low as his father tucked the ends of the cloth in and patted his wrist. “All done. Dare I even ask what happened for you to snap a bowstring like that?”

“It was nothing. I just… overlooked my strength.” Yixing flushed and turned away from his father’s questioning gaze.

“Well, in that case.” Zhang Cheng reached out to pat Yifan on the shoulder, only to realize that the boy had grown much much taller than him and patted him on the back instead. “Thanks for taking care of him, Yifan.”

Yifan bowed his head respectfully. “It is no problem Doctor Zhang.”

“Now the two of you should be off. If I recall correctly, Xing, your lesson begins soon.” Zhang Cheng smiled when Yifan groaned and Yixing rose to his feet.

“Thanks a lot Doctor Zhang,” Yifan muttered as Yixing tugged him out of the infirmary.

“You should take a break from teaching. Your hand’s injured,” Yifan pleaded with his best puppy eyes as Yixing lead him towards the classroom.

Yixing smirked. “What and miss a chance at educating you on the wonders of literature? I think not, Your Highness.” He pushed open the door to see Joonmyun already settled at a table, textbooks open.

“You’re the only one who calls me that,” Yifan grumbled as he settled at the table next to Joonmyun and opened his textbook.

“How is your hand?” Joonmyun called out as he watched Yixing reach for his very thick and heavy textbook.

“It’ll be fine.” Yixing winced as he fumbled under the weight of his book. The two students watched with amusement as the advisor struggled to put his book on the table.

“Oh come on.” Finally unable to take it, Yifan snatched the book from his best friend and set it on the table for him. “You’ll rip your stitches like that,” he snapped and Yixing looked taken aback.

“Thank you,” Yixing mumbled as he flipped open the book. Joonmyun raised his eyebrows but did not deign to comment as Yixing began the lesson. “The White Doe is a classic piece of literature involving a princess, sorcery and love. It is written…”

 

“All the literature you’ve shown us lately has had a lot to do with enchantment and animals. Are you going through a phase? Henry is going through a magic phase too and honestly, I don’t think I could handle it if the two of you assigned us similar pieces of work,” Yifan muttered as he took Yixing’s textbook from him despite the boy’s protests.

“Have I? I haven’t noticed.” Yixing grinned sheepishly. He had been studying the elder prince’s curse lately with Joonmyun and never noticed that his obsession had translated into his teachings.

“Henry’s been talking a lot about the Draiochtae," Yifan said. "He believes that there are still Draiochtae living within our borders and that the king should permit them to live among us.”

Yixing laughed. “Henry should be careful of what he says. Magic is not something to mess around with. Your bloodline is very against the thought of magic users living among us.”

Once the lesson was done, Yifan smiled fondly at his best friend as they walked towards Yixing’s chambers to drop off his books. “Listen, Xing. I’m sorry… About today,” he said seriously as the double doors swung shut behind them. He set the books onto a desk.

Yixing faced him and raised his eyebrows. When Yifan didn’t immediately say anything, he turned to open his wardrobe.

“I didn’t mean to lash out at you," Yifan said suddenly. "I was just frustrated because I’m tired of this place.”

“I know you are," Yixing said as he pulled his dinner clothes out. "And I’m sorry I’ve never tried to understand you, Your Highness.”

“I hate that title." Yifan made a face. "Everyone calls me by name, so why should you be any different?”

Yixing smiled quietly behind the clothes he was holding up. “You are still the crown prince and should be addressed so.”

Yifan rolled his eyes. “Wear the white. You always look like an angel in white.”

Yixing blinked up at his best friend in surprise.

Taking the shirt from him, Yifan set it down and reached for a cream coloured undershirt and white blazer. “Here, wear this with the white pants. God, you’re so slow sometimes.” He the clothes into his friend’s face.

Yixing took the hangers from him with a slightly dazed look on his face.

“Wake up little star. Joonmyun’s father is coming for dinner so we need to get ready.” Yifan waved an abnormally large hand in front of Yixing’s face, startling him so much that he jumped backwards and would have fallen into the open door of the wardrobe if Yifan had not wrapped his arm around his waist to steady him.

Yixing stared up into Yifan’s concerned eyes and shuddered when he felt an electric current travel through him. He was suddenly very aware of their close proximity.  Yifan’s eyes flickered and lingered on his lips for a moment before the doors of Yixing’s room slammed loudly and the moment was broken.

“Yifan! Your bath is ready!” The pair jumped apart and Yixing stumbled a little just as a maid appeared in their line of sight. She glanced between the two boys with a hint of mischief on her face. “Did I interrupt something?”

Yifan pulled his gaze from Yixing’s face and smiled sweetly at the maid. “No, Yixing was just being his usual clumsy self.”

The tension in Yixing’s body disappeared, leaving a tingle of disappointment that he ignored. “And His Highness was just being his usual nosy self,” he retorted, turning to shut the doors of his wardrobe.

The maid shook her head at the two of them and turned to leave. “Well Yifan, your bath is waiting. Hurry before it gets cold.”

Yifan gave Yixing one last glance before following the maid out. “Your Highness!” Yixing called out before he could stop himself. Yifan paused by the door, turning his head to look at his best friend. “You should wear that navy blue blazer. It complements your hair well.”

Yifan’s face broke into a smile and he laughed as he exited the room.

Yixing looked down at the clothes in his hands and sighed; it was time for formalities with the royal family.

 

 

“Yifan, straighten your blazer please,” Lan Ling murmured to her son the moment he walked into the dining hall.

Yifan blushed and tried to shift his blazer around on his broad shoulders. Yixing stifled a smile and rose to his feet as Yifan approached. He reached out and tugged the navy blue material straight and Yifan sent him a grateful look as they took their seats.

“This thing itches,” Yifan whispered to his best friend as the servants appeared to clear their plates and bring in the soup.

Yixing quirked a corner of his lips up as he reached for his napkin. “You look good in it.”

Yifan smoothed his napkin over his lap as he tried to subtly observe Yixing out of the corner of his eye. His best friend had taken his advice and put on the all-white attire he had chosen for him. The light colour of his clothes accentuated the flecks of green in his hazel eyes and made his hair seem more red than brown. Yifan thought he looked stunning.

“You’re staring.” Joonmyun nudged him hard.

Yifan jerked out of his stupor. He flushed and looked back down at the napkin across his lap. He smoothed out invisible wrinkles as they waited for the king to arrive from greeting Duke Junseo.

Joonmyun was quivering with excitement as his father had been away on business for nearly three months and he had missed him dearly. The doors of the dining hall opened and he rose to his feet, clapping his hands to his mouth in excitement. “Papa!”

Duke Junseo smiled when his son flew into his arms, unable to contain his delight.

“You’re back.” Joonmyun buried his face into his father’s shoulder, trembling.

“My son.” Junseo hugged his son close before pulling away to look at him.

“You look so well Joonmyun.” He patted his son’s cheek gently and turned to smile at the rest of the people seated at the dining hall. “Come, let’s not keep them waiting.”

Joonmyun clung to his father as they settled into their seats.

Yi Chen smiled warmly at his old friend as he took his seat and picked up his spoon. “Oh, before I forget. Yifan, how would you like to join us on our hunt tomorrow? Junseo is eager to head into the forest and you have never been on any hunt with us. Your mother has convinced me that it would be wise for you join us.” Yi Chen smiled as his son’s eyes grew wide.

“Really? I would love to Father!” Yifan could barely contain his excitement and beside him, Yixing smiled indulgently.

“Of course, you must promise to always stay with us and not wander off on your own. Yixing will come with us and Joonmyun too so that there will always be someone to keep an eye on you.”

Yixing’s smile slid off his face immediately. Yi Chen noticed and turned a questioning gaze towards him. “You do not wish to join us Yixing? I should think you would enjoy this.”

Yixing cleared his throat uncomfortably, unsure of how to respond without seeming rude. The king loved to hunt and even the predicament with the eldest prince had not dampened the king’s enthusiasm for the sport. He no longer hunted hart however, fearful that he might be the one to shoot the fatal arrow that will end his son’s life. Yixing on the other hand abhorred hunting. He thought that hunting animals for sport was an abomination and the fact that the animals were helpless to fight back further fuelled his hatred for the sport. How was he to tell the king that he could not stand for the hunting of innocent animals?

Luckily, Yifan sensed his friend’s growing desperation and rushed to his aid. “Father, Yixing has injured his hand in archery today. I do not believe he is fit enough to handle a bow so soon.”

Yi Chen raised his eyebrows. “But you will still ride with us, I hope? I shall say now that there is no one I have greater trust in than you in not allowing my son to wander off on his own.”

Yifan scowled.

Yixing flushed. “Of course Your Majesty. As you wish.”

 

-

 

“Wake up, Your Highness. You’re going hunting today.” Standing at the foot of the bed, Yixing folded his arms across his chest as he glared at the motionless lump on the bed.

“Five more minutes…” Yifan muttered as he rolled over, tugging the blankets over his head.

“The hunt will leave without you and you will miss out on this chance to leave the palace.” Yixing sighed and reached out to tug on the covers. “Come on Your Highness!”

Yifan grunted and pulled back, yanking Yixing forward onto the bed.

“Oh!” Yixing gasped when he lost his balance and sprawled out on top of Yifan’s body.

“Stay,” Yifan mumbled and wrapped an arm around Yixing’s waist, a long leg around his thighs, holding him as if he was a stuffed animal.

Yixing flushed, his face going so hot that he felt as if smoke was coming out of his ears. He squirmed and finally jabbed an elbow hard into Yifan’s ribs.

“Ow! What was that for?!” Yifan yelped as he released Yixing, jerking backwards to shield his body.

Yixing climbed out of the bed, face still flaming. “Get up and get dressed. I’ve already drawn your bath.” He dropped his eyes from Yifan’s chest as he slid off the bed, grumbling.

Yifan stole a glance at Yixing’s face and stifled his laugh. Yixing always looked adorable whenever he got all blushy. Because of his pale complexion, his whole face and neck glowed red whenever he was embarrassed. “What shall I wear?” he asked as he followed Yixing out towards the bathroom.

“I’ve already taken out your breeches and that cotton sparring shirt you like. Is there anything I should change?” Yixing asked as he pushed out the door of the bathroom. The tub in the center of the room was producing perfumed steam that wafted through the air towards them.

“They’re fine. You always know what I like.” Yifan stepped towards the steaming tub as the maids in the room scurried out, leaving only the two of them in the room.

Yixing reached for a fluffy white towel and hung it up on a rack as Yifan removed his trousers. He turned his eyes away as the prince stepped into the tub.

Yifan groaned as he submerged himself in the water. “Oh, this feels good.”

Smiling, Yixing reached for a loofah and the rose scented soap. “We don’t have much time today.” He poured a liberal amount of liquid soap onto the loofah and soaked it in water before bringing it up to rub across the prince’s back.

“You should still bring a bow, just in case,” Yifan spoke, closing his eyes as his advisor scrubbed at his broad back with the loofah.

Yixing took his time spreading oil across the prince’s back before rubbing it into his golden skin. “I don’t intend to shoot anything today, Your Highness,” he argued as he rinsed off the loofah and picked up the towel. “Wash yourself, and hurry or they will leave without you. I have already asked Zitao to prepare your bow and arrows.”

“You spoke to Zitao?” Yifan raised his eyebrows as he stepped out of the tub.

Yixing handed him the towel. “Don’t sound so surprised. I am actually capable of holding a decent conversation with him.” Yixing smirked as he took Yifan’s towel and pointed to another rack. “Dress yourself.”

 

“Ah, you made it. I was starting to think that you did not wish to join us,” Yi Chen teased as his son came running into the courtyard with his advisor close behind.

“I would never!” Yifan declared, eyes shining as he took the reins of his Arab from the groom.

Yixing rolled his eyes as he mounted his own horse.

“Glad you could make it Yixing ge. I was thinking you would have backed out.” Zitao smirked from on top of his mount.

Yixing narrowed his eyes and turned his attention to his stirrups, adjusting the girth expertly. He may not be much of an archer but Yixing was an amazing horseman. He tightened the girth of his saddle and adjusted the length of his stirrups all atop of the horse. The horse, an Andalusian with an incredibly calm temperament, stood perfectly still as his rider shifted atop him.

“Your girth is too loose Zitao. Better tighten it before you fall off with the saddle,” Yixing sniped when Zitao gathered his reins. Zitao shifted in the saddle and scowled. He was right of course. Yixing watched with smug satisfaction when Zitao had to dismount just to tighten his girth.

Yifan tugged the girth strap tight and tucked it well around the straps before nudging his horse to stand beside Yixing. Joonmyun brought his horse up next to Yixing and the two of them shared a look of disdain when Yi Chen blew the hunting horn and the party of excited lords took off. Beside them, Yifan was positively shaking with excitement.

The great iron gates swung open and the herd of horses and hounds trotted past them. Yixing had to stifle a smile at the way Yifan looked all around him as they rode away from the palace. “There are two roads at the bottom of the hill. One of them leads into the town and the other away and out onto the open moors. The second road was built because a whole party of lords riding through the town causes too much trouble and noise which disrupt the routine of the townsfolk,” Yixing explained when Yifan looked questioningly towards the road they bypassed.

The road they travelled on was not so much a road but a track roughly stripped of grass and carelessly strewn with stones. The prince and his friends rode at the back of the party with only Zitao and one of Captain Huang’s best guards, Kim Jongin to watch them.

“The air seems so different out here,” Yifan commented as they left the track behind and the moors spread out ahead of them.

“It does seem much fresher doesn’t it?” Joonmyun agreed as he nudged his horse forward.

Yifan halted his horse for a moment to admire the open moors and his friends stopped with him. The king raised his hunting horn and blew hard. The note echoed through the air and the air thickened with anticipation.

“That horn is the signal that we begin to gallop,” Yixing called as he lengthened his reins and leaned forward.

“Lengthen your reins Joon!” Yifan kicked his horse forward and laughed in delight as the wind whipped through his hair and cloak.

Yixing smiled at the pure joy in Yifan’s laughter and urged his horse forward, nose to nose with his best friend. “Enjoying yourself?” he called as the thundering of horse hooves across the moors nearly swallowed his voice.

“Yeah!” Yifan cheered and yelped in indignation when Zitao’s horse pulled up alongside his own. “Care for a race?” he cried out, smile splitting across his face as he gathered his reins.

“You’re on!” Yixing laughed and leaned low over his horse’s withers, urging him on. The quiet Andalusian seemed to sense his rider’s delight and snorted, lengthening his strides to overtake Yifan’s fiery black Arab.

“Wait for me!” Joonmyun cried as he kicked his horse into action. The two guards followed closely behind as their charges raced across the moors behind the king’s hunting party.

 

-

 Luhan looked up from the sweet grass he was nibbling when he heard the high clear call of the hunting horn. He turned his head to look across the moors and sure enough, he saw a large party of men on horses and a pack of bloodhounds galloping across the moors towards the Mofa forest. He shook his head at the men before dropping his head back to graze on the sweet grass. 

He did not know that his younger brother was within the hunt or he would have shown a bit more interest in the hunting party. But through Fate’s spinning wheel, his life thread would very soon entwine with his brother’s in the most unusual way possible. For now, he was content to graze on the sweet grass and nibble the flowers on the moors.