Chapter 14

Kin's Love

“Good morning, sleepy heads,” Joonmyun whispered as he crept into Yixing’s room, a silver tray in hand. The room was still dark with the velvet drapes pulled tightly together but the advisor was already awake, curled quietly within the prince’s arms.

“Morning, Joon,” he greeted softly, carefully untangling himself from Yifan’s grip. The prince grunted and tightened his grip, pulling Yixing back into his arms.

Joonmyun stifled his laughter as he watched his friend try to get free.

“S’too early…” Yifan mumbled, opening one eye to stare at the lord blearily.

“It’s nearly ten. You need to wake up. Your father has some news.” When that failed to rouse the prince, Joonmyun moved closer to the bed.

Yixing squirmed in the prince’s grasp. “Fan, let me up. I want breakfast…” He yelped when he was pulled flush against Yifan’s chest, his sitting directly on top of the prince’s crotch.

“I want to sleeeeep.” Yifan grumbled, closing both eyes again.

“Yifan, let me up! I’m in a very awkward position right now!” The advisor twisted and the movement made him grind down hard on top of the prince.

Yifan’s eyes shot open and he moaned. Yixing jerked in surprise when the prince moved his hand towards his crotch. “Oi!”

The movement was so obvious that Joonmyun’s face flushed and he started backing out of the room so fast that he nearly slammed into the healer who was walking in.

Yixing’s face pinked when he saw his father raise an eyebrow at his sleeping position. “Yifan!”

“What. No one asked you to grind… oh.” The prince’s face went as red as a beetroot when he saw who had walked in.

“I think,” Zhang Cheng began as Yifan started to fumble apologies, his eyes sparkling with mischief. “You two need to get dressed. The king has some good news for you, Your Highness, and it’s about your brother.”

Yifan released Yixing so fast, nearly kicking the poor man out the bed as he sat up, eyes widening. “What is it? Has a cure been found?”

The healer shook his head and gestured to the door. “It’s a surprise. But you need to be dressed in order to hear it.”

The prince scrambled to his feet, nearly tripping over his own feet as he dashed towards the door. “Oh and Yifan?” His footsteps slowed slightly, showing that he was listening. “I know the two of you are young and have a high libido but don’t you think it’s a little early in the morning to be getting it on?”

Yifan’s face went white and he ran out of the room as if his pants were on fire.

“Papa!” Yixing gasped, mortified, his hands flying to his mouth as his face flamed. Zhang Cheng winked and practically waltzed out of the room, chuckling. Yixing glanced at Joonmyun, who was still standing by the door with his jaw on the ground.

“I did not, in my entire life, need to hear your father say those words,” the lord muttered, his ears as red as Yixing’s face.

"We shall never speak of this again.” Yixing threatened as he moved to his wardrobe, face still pink with embarrassment.

 

“You know I won’t. Unless Yifan brings it up.” Joonmyun agreed readily, carefully setting down the breakfast tray on Yixing’s bedside table.

 

-

 

“Luhan’s caretaker sent a message. He asked for you to visit.” Yi Chen watched his son’s eyes widen into saucers with a smile.

“Oh, Father, surely I can? I’ve missed him dearly!” Yifan looked as if he was ready to do anything to get his father to say yes. The king smirked and tapped his chin lazily, tilting his head up to look at the ceiling.

A slow smile slid over Yixing’s face as he watched. The king was a massive tease when it came to his son. Mainly because Yifan rarely had want for anything and the king thought it was amusing to watch whenever his son got frustrated. They were so alike in that aspect that it always made the advisor smile.

“Father!” The prince was impatient, stamping his foot childishly.

Joonmyun’s gaze slid over to Yixing and mouthed,This is the man you’re in love with.”

The advisor’s face flushed and he whacked the lord across the arm, shooting him a warning look when the king looked down at them with startled eyes. Yixing’s face got hotter and he started stammering out apologies.

“You leave in two days.” As soon as the words had left Yi Chen’s mouth, Yifan was cheering, dancing over to grab his father in a tight hug. “But. Yixing and Joonmyun will go with you. The guards will accompany you till the forest. They have been told that you are on a camping trip so watch your tongue and you must pack a bed roll to seem believable. For the love of god, Yifan, you must be careful.” The king warned, a smile still lingering on his lips at his son’s happiness even as he tried to seem stern.

“Yes, Father.” Yifan laughed giddily, sweeping Yixing off his feet with joy, earning a surprised shout from the advisor.

Joonmyun rolled his eyes at the blatant display of affection and bowed in the king’s direction. “Is there anything else that we should know, Your Grace?”

“Pack your simplest clothes and be careful. Luhan’s birthday is in two weeks, no one knows what could happen before that.” The king answered distractedly, eyes watching his son twirl the advisor around the room, Yixing frantically trying to free himself from the insistent prince.

 

-

 

Zhang Cheng scanned the letter quickly, fear for his son gnawing through him again. He had managed to put the Raven situation at the back of his mind for as long as possible, not wanting to even think about the possibility of losing his son but the separate letter that had been sent to him by Shinwoo had him worried.

The letter had been written shortly after the invite to the king had been sent, describing the unusual behavior Luhan had displayed that night when he had come home from the forest, sweating and shivering.

The healer had never heard of such a thing before but then he had not had as much time as his son to scour the palace’s library for information. Zhang Cheng reckoned that Yixing would be able to answer the caretaker’s worries. Right as he was rolling up the letter, there was a gentle knock on his door and his son poked his head in.

“Papa. Would you have a bedroll that I can borrow?” The healer nodded, carefully knotting the twine around the parchment. He gestured for Yixing to come in and set the letter aside.

“So I guess, you’ve heard about Luhan.” He smiled as he stepped away from his personal desk.

His son nodded, the corner of his lips quirking up slightly. “Yifan is over the moon. He’s missed his brother.” Yixing said, moving over to the wardrobe.

Zhang Cheng raised an eyebrow and pulled open the wooden doors. He reached for a tiny stepladder and stood on it to reach a shelf built into the top of the wardrobe.

“I’ve actually received a letter from Shinwoo today.” The healer said as he carefully pulled a dusty bedroll from the shelf. His son took the roll from him as he stepped down, closing the wardrobe doors behind him. “It’s about Luhan’s supposed illness.”

Yixing frowned. “Why, is it not normal?” He asked, brushing the dust from the roll.

“His caretaker said his behavior was odd that morning, right before he got a fever.” Zhang Cheng walked back to his desk and unrolled the parchment again. Curious, the advisor followed his father and read the text carefully. As he read, the colour seemed to drain from his face and he struggled to keep a straight face.

His father however, noticed the change in his demeanor immediately. “I’ve never heard anything like this before, little star. Have you?” He asked carefully, watching as Yixing’s muscles tensed.

“I’ve read about it. It’s unusual and a little unnecessary in his context.” His son answered warily, setting down the bed roll to read over the text again.

“Well, what does it mean?” Zhang Cheng asked anxiously. The look on his son’s face told him it could be nothing good.

“It indicates a magical trace. And with a reaction that powerful, whoever laid the trace had to have prepared for a long long time. It’s too strong a trace to have been laid on a whim.” Yixing took his bottom lip between his teeth and worried it. He could only think of one person who had that much power to lay such a powerful trace on the prince but he could not, for the life of him, fathom why.

“It’s the sorceress, isn’t it?” The healer whispered, suddenly terrified.

“It has to be. Unless there’s another Draiochta living in the kingdom that we don’t know about.” The advisor narrowed his eyes, pressing his lips together into a thin line. “But I don’t understand. Why would she need a trace when she already enchanted him?”

 

-

 

Yixing debated the intelligence of telling the new information he had just received from his father to the prince and Joonmyun as he folded a cashmere sweater away into his pack. He was just about done with his packing when there was a knock on his room door and Yifan poked his head in. The prince had not stopped smiling ever since the king had permitted him to visit and the advisor found that incredibly endearing as his best friend stepped into the room holding a hooded cloak.

“Hey.” Yifan grinned, holding out the cloak to his friend.

“Your smile is starting to creep me out.” Yixing joked, even as he allowed the prince to drape the mantle over him. The cloak was made with blue velvet and lined with silk. The material felt soft and luxurious beneath his fingertips as he cuddled into it.

“You’re always complaining about the cold and we’re going out onto the moors so I thought you could borrow this.” Yifan smiled as he admired the way the cobalt blue of the cloth made his best friend’s pale skin seem to glow.

“You should keep it though. It looks beautiful on you.” The prince murmured, carefully reaching to tug the cloak snugly over the advisor’s slim shoulders.

“It’s springtime.” Yixing looked up into Yifan’s eyes fondly and the prince wrapped him into his arms.

“Well, it’s the moors and the wind blows rather harshly.” Yifan pressed a kiss tenderly on his best friend’s forehead and held him close.

“Aren’t you touchy today,” Yixing breathed against Yifan’s chest when the prince reached out to readjust the cloak and rubbed his fingertips across the advisor’s cheekbones gently.

“Do I need a reason to touch you? I’m just incredibly happy today.” Yifan retorted, carefully tucking a lock of Yixing’s hair away.

Yixing poked him in the stomach and rested his head on his chest, listening to the prince’s heart beat strongly in his ear. “Well, I find your happiness incredibly endearing.” He finally said, leaning away to smile up at his best friend.

“Yes and you’ll find that you’re the only one who thinks that. I’ve been packing and Zitao left because he said I was too annoying and that dampened my spirits a bit.” Yifan grinned, helping Yixing out of the cloak and laying it out on the bed.

“Are you done packing already?” The advisor asked as he spread the velvet cloak over the rest of his belongings.

“All done.” Yifan said proudly, puffing his chest out with a grin.

 

-

 

“You be careful and listen to Yixing alright?” Lan Ling whispered into Yifan’s ear as he hugged her close.

“He’s younger than me, you know.” The prince mumbled with a teasing look in his best friend’s direction. Yi Chen overheard the statement and fixed his son with a stern look. Yifan valiantly attempted to keep up his grin but with his father's eyes piercing holes in his bravado, the facade quickly slipped.

"Alright, alright. I promise." He bowed his head and Yi Chen smiled, wrapping him into a hug. "Say hi to him for me." Yifan rested his chin upon his father's shoulder and the king his hair gently, worry for his youngest son filtering through him despite all of Yixing's repeated reassurances that he would take care of him. 

"Father, if you don't let me go they will leave without me." The prince murmured, his heart beating faster at the thought of going on such an adventure without his father watching over him. He was excited but he would never want Yixing to go into danger if he could help it so he also understood why his father was so afraid.

Yi Chen released his son, the skin around his eyes crinkling as he smiled. "Go and have fun."

On the other side of the courtyard, Zhang Cheng was having a hushed and hurried conversation with his son.

"Papa..."

"You have your cloak?"

"Yes, Papa. I..."

"Be very very careful okay? Maybe you shouldn't go after all. I'm just worried..."

"Papa! I'll be fine. I can take care of myself. I won't do anything stupid." Yixing laughed and stood on his tip toes to press a kiss to his father's cheek. Zhang Cheng was rendered speechless as his son pulled away.

Liu Xing laughed at the look on her husband's face as Yixing turned to her. "You've grown up, little star." She smiled fondly as Yixing kissed her on the cheek as well.

The healer shook his head and ruffled his son's hair, eliciting a cry of protest from him. He squeezed his son tightly and dropped a kiss on the top of his hair. "He's still my son."

"I'll miss you." Yixing said sincerely and his mother squeezed his shoulder gently.

"We will too. You need to go now, honey. Joonmyun's waving at you."

"Good bye." Yixing waved as he hurried across to where Scorpio had already been tacked up and standing patiently. He swung into the saddle easily and gave his parents one last wave as Antares came jogging up to him with Yifan struggling to hold him back.

"You need to calm down. He's sensing your excitement." The advisor looked amused when the black horse tossed his head, fighting Yifan's hands. He leaned over and grabbed the bridle in one hand. "Whoa, buddy." Antares looked at him with a large intelligent eye and side stepped away, settling as Yifan gave him more rein.

Yifan fidgeted on his horse, heart racing a million miles per hour as the tall iron gates swung open, and his father blew the hunting horn. He turned around just before the horses leapt forward and waved at his parents. Then the world turned into a white blur as their horses lunged forward, breaking into a canter past the line of gates, hoofs striking againat stone as they raced out into the open moors.

"Yifan ge." Zitao pulled his horse up along with the prince's with a grin, their legs brushing. "Want to race?"

On Yifan's other side, Yixing and Joonmyun perked up. The other two guards cocked their heads with interest. "Shall we?" Yifan glanced at his best friend and was rewarded with a smile. "To the first line of the forest then. That's where the guards turn back." Yifan said decisively and the rest of them nodded. "On three. One, two, three...go!"

The group of six horses exploded forward as their riders leaned forward, pressing boot heels to their sides. Yixing lengthened his reins, his breath quickening as Scorpio snorted, sensing the excitement in the air. He pressed his heels against the white horse's sides and he responded immediately, lengthening his stride to cover more ground. Adrenaline swept through the advisor's body, pumping through his bloodstream as his horse broke into a gallop, easily over taking the others. He could hear Yifan laugh from behind him and hoof steps thudded heavily over the hard packed earth, the ebony blackness of the Arab entering his peripheral vision.

Scorpio snorted in annoyance and stretched his neck forward when Antares came level with him. Determined to win, Yixing leaned even lower, knees pressed to the knee roll of the saddle, releasing as much rein as he dared when Scorpio asked for more. The white horse plunged forward with a loud whinny, obeying his rider immediately. The wind whipped through Yixing’s chestnut hair as Scorpio’s long strides ate up the ground, and he was so hot headed as he arrived at the tree line that Yixing had to shorten his reins and tug hard to get his attention.

The advisor managed to get his horse back under him and listening as they approached the tree line in an easy trot.

“You beat me.” Yifan panted as they arrived close behind, his hot blooded Arab prancing and trying to tear the reins out of his hands.

Yixing laughed and patted Scorpio’s neck gently, fingers flexing to ease the ache of holding them so tightly. “Good boy. Well done.” The Andalusian huffed and turned as the advisor pulled a bit of carrot out of his pocket to feed him. The advisor leaned forward, feeling the horse’s velvety muzzle snuffle his leather gloves gently. He pulled his velvet cloak tighter around him as a wind blew through the forest, rustling the leaves.

Yifan glanced at him and started when Antares pushed his muzzle in Yixing’s direction, wanting a treat as well. “Woah!”

Yixing grinned and fed the horse a bit of carrot as well as the other horses came up to them, Joonmyun in the lead. “I will never race with the two of you again!” the lord declared as he pulled his horse into a halt, hair wind blown and mussed up.

“We can switch horses next time if you wish,” Yifan said slyly as Antares tugged him forward, eagerly touching noses with Joonmyun's dappled mare.

Joonmyun did an exaggerated shudder and tugged on his reins gently. “No thanks. I'm not riding that devil you call a horse.”

“Hey!” Both Yixing and Yifan protested, the prince releasing his reins to lean forward and cover the horse’s ears. “He’s no devil. You just don't understand him.” The advisor reached over to the black horse gently.

Joonmyun snorted. “No way, he’s thrown everyone who’s tried to ride him. He’s definitely devil’s spawn.”

"Well he's not… Woah!” Yifan yelped when his horse sidestepped and shied out from under him, neatly depositing him on the ground.

“I thought you were a better horseman than that, Your Highness,” Joonmyun mocked as the prince picked himself up and tried to mount again.

Yifan huffed and set his toe into the stirrup, opening his mouth to retort when Antares stepped away from him, once again dropping him back into the dirt. "Damn it!" He cursed, reaching for the horse's bridle again. Antares tossed his head, refusing to be caught as he pranced away from the prince, further proving to the lord that he was indeed, the spawn of the devil.

Yixing took pity on the prince and dismounted, pressing Scorpio's reins into Yifan's surprised hands. Seeing the prince's startled look, he explained. "You're too hard with your hands. I'll ride him. You ride Scorpio. He's more tolerant of hard hands but if you wreck his mouth, I will skin you alive."

Joonmyun chortled to himself as Zitao and the rest of the guards caught up, having given up the race half way through. Yifan shot him a glare and mounted Yixing's Andalusian. Scorpio gave a little surprised snort but otherwise stayed still.

The advisor moved towards the Arabian who was eyeing him warily as he approached him. Yixing dipped a hand into his pocket and pulled out another bit of carrot much to Yifan's consternation, and held it out. Antares sniffed the air and took a step towards the advisor.

Yifan and his friends watched in amazement as Yixing smoothed a hand across the horse's withers and set his toe into the stirrup. As Antares made to step away, the advisor swung his leg neatly over the horse's back before settling easily into the saddle. The black horse snorted and tried to yank his head away when Yixing picked up the reins, lacing them through his fingers.

"Easy now, easy." Yixing hushed when Antares tossed his head in an attempt to get more rein. He kept the reins short and watched as the Arab fought valiantly to get his head. The moment he paused in tossing his head, the advisor gave him rein. That stopped him, when the horse realised that fighting would not get him what he wanted. "Good boy." Yixing smiled, leaning forward to pat Antares' shoulder gently.

"Are you guys leaving?" He asked as he readjusted his stirrups to suit his length.

"Yes. We turn back here. Will you be okay?" Jongin answered, turning to look at the prince.

Yifan nodded slowly, suddenly feeling nervous.

"We'll be fine." Joonmyun answered, shifting in his seat.

"Then we shall be off. We need to get back." Zitao levelled a glance in Yixing's direction. "Take care of them Ge. Or the responsibility will fall on your shoulders." He waved and turned his horse away. Jongin and Sehun followed his lead, echoing goodbyes.

As soon as the guards were gone, Yixing turned Antares towards the forest, eyeing the dense trees with slight trepidation. "Ready?"

 

-

 

"What is your brother like?" Joonmyun asked curiously as they passed a stream tinkling prettily over the rocks.

"Woah!" Yixing laughed when Antares jolted sideways, nearly slamming into the lord when a bird flew past him.

"He's a lot like Yixing. Snarky, sarcastic," Yifan answered as the advisor steadied his horse.

Yixing stuck his tongue out, turning his attention to calming Antares who suddenly seemed spooked out the pretty stream. "Silly boy. It's just water." He coaxed, putting his legs on and pushing the high strung Arab past the stream.

"Oh, that's good. We'll get along well then." Joonmyun chuckled.

Yifan looked horrified. "Oh no. I'm going to be targeted aren't I?" He mock gasped as Yixing gave an evil laugh.

“Idiots, the both of you.” The lord scolded fondly. They bickered good naturedly the entire way through the forest until a sudden silence fell over the forest.

Joonmyun was the first one to notice, his voice trailing off as he took his eyes off the ground in front of him to look around him. "Has the forest just gotten darker?" He asked, cutting off whatever Yixing had been about to say.

The advisor shifted in his saddle and raised his eyes to look around him in surprise. "I believe so."

Yifan heard the slight tremor in his best friend's voice and looked up. "Let's move faster. I don't like this," he suggested, digging his heels into Scorpio's sides to urge the horse to go faster.

Yixing nodded, gathering his reins up. Just as he was about to urge Antares forward, a raven cawed directly above them, spooking the horse. Yixing's heart sped up, adrenaline pumping through his bloodstream as Antares reared, whinnying loudly in fear.

Yifan's yell echoed dimly in his ears as his friends ducked away to avoid the flying hooves. His ears buzzed as he flung himself forward, fingers clenching tightly around the reins and mane to keep his balance. "Woah!" Yixing cried out when the black horse landed back onto four hooves, plunging forward immediately into a mad gallop, hooves thudding heavily onto the earth.

 

Terror raced through the advisor as he hauled desperately on the reins but the horse had gotten the bit between his teeth and he had lost all contact with him. Dimly, he heard his friends crashing through the undergrowth behind him but he paid no attention, more focused on trying to stop Antares from bolting. Had he been in an open field, he would have allowed the horse to run off his fear but in this forest with barely any idea of where he was going, he was afraid that Antares would trip over something and break his legs. Getting lost in this forest was also not a very appealing idea to him as he struggled to tug the bit back into the horse's mouth.

His muscles were cramping up as he sat down hard in the saddle, pulling the reins back harshly. He felt something jerk and Antares stopped so suddenly that he tipped forward, heart practically falling out of his mouth as he steadied himself with his hands on the pommel. The black horse was sweating heavily and trembling where he stood. "I'm sorry about that, boy," Yixing whispered, leaning forwards to pet the horse gently on his shoulder. There was a loud crashing sound echoing out of the forest behind them and Antares shot forward like a bullet, the advisor barely catching him in time.

Yifan and Joonmyun appeared on either side of him, brows both creased with worry. "Are you alright?" The prince asked when Yixing looked up at him with a shaky smile.

"I'm good. Antares will have a terrible time tomorrow though." The advisor managed, nodding his head at Joonmyun.

"Stop thinking about the damn horse for one second. Are you hurt?" The lord fretted, pulling a water skin out of his saddle bags to offer to the advisor. 

Yixing gulped down the water, not realizing how thirsty he had been till then. "No. But we should hurry. I can see the sun going down." He pointed in front of him where the trees were thinning out, revealing peeks of the sun, orange like an egg yolk, sinking into the ocean.

"We don't have far to go then." Yifan injected, gathering his reins. The trio walked their horses out of the forest, Antares stumbling with exhaustion. "If we don't arrive soon, I think I will get down and walk. Antares feels like he is about to collapse anytime soon." Yixing said, barely managing to hold the horse up with the reins.

"Look. I see the meadow. You could walk him across that." Yifan pointed as the trees sank back around them, revealing a wide green meadow with tall grass stretching across and ending with golden sand. The sand led down to a wide beach with harsh strong waves that struck the shore mercilessly. One side of the beach ended with a hard rocky cliff and the trio could see the stone castle perched almost precariously at the tip of it.

Joonmyun eyed Antares warily. "I don't think he will make it up." He said dubiously and Yixing whole heartedly agreed.

The advisor knotted the reins and swung himself out of the saddle, running the stirrups up to prevent them from banging against the horse's sides. His knees buckled when he hit the ground but he hid his exhaustion well. "Come on then." He gripped Antares' bridle and led him forward. The prince and the lord followed along, slowing their horses to a walk to match paces with the advisor.

“Your father really picked the right place to hide your brother. No one ever passes through the forest for any reason at all and the people think that there is only one person who live in the ruins of Castle Adfeilion,” Joonmyun remarked as they started up the path up the cliff to arrive at the castle.

Yifan nodded; the last time they had been stranded at the castle because of Yixing's injury, the King had publicly thanked whoever who had been living in the ruins, pretending that he did not know that the castle was in residence, pulling suspicion away as the guards who had fetched them would have had questions on to why they had medical supplies to aid the advisor.

“Are you alright down there? I can switch with you if you want. You’re looking rather ragged right now, Xing,” the prince called down to his best friend, concerned. Yixing stumbled, nearly pulling Antares down with him. Yifan pulled his horse to a halt and slid out of the saddle, holding the reins out to his best friend. “Here. You're exhausted.”

The advisor gave him a grateful look, too tired even to speak. He managed to get himself into the saddle without falling out of it and they rode the rest of the way in exhausted silence.

 

-

 

Yifan knocked his fist against the oak doors of the castle tiredly. His legs were trembling as he struggled to remain upright. His friends were looking just as rugged as him, body trembling from the cold and the ache of sitting in the saddle for so long. He was just about to lean his forehead against the wood when the doors opened and Shinwoo smiled brightly down at them.

“You're here! Do come in. You all look exhausted! I'll take your horses,” he exclaimed, reaching for Antares’ bridle.

Yifan and Joonmyun gladly relinguished their horses but Yixing stubbornly refused. “Antares had quite a scare and bolted. I want to make sure he’s alright,” he explained to the surprised caretaker.

Shinwoo reached for Scorpio’s reins. “I'll check him for you. You are already tired.”

The advisor opened his mouth to argue but Yifan cut in tiredly. “Just leave him be, Shinwoo hyung. He won't rest till he has stabled Scorpio and had a look at my horse.”

The caretaker bowed and nodded his head towards the side of the castle. "Come with me then. I will show you where we stable my horse." Scorpio nudged gently as his master's side and Yixing snapped out of his daze, moving forward with Shinwoo in front of him. "I heard about what happened with Luhan ge," he whispered lowly as they walked out of earshot, horses in tow.

The caretaker gave him a sharp look and said, "Has your father said anything about it? What could have caused it?" His heart clenched when he saw the look on the advisor's face.

"It indicates a trace. Magical traces make it easier to enchant the person again later on," Yixing explained after he saw the confused look on Shinwoo's face.

The caretaker laughed. "That sorceress already has a hold over our prince. Why would she need a trace to make things any easier for herself?" he said bitterly.

Yixing shook his head tiredly. "I don't know. Her plans are so ambiguous that no one knows exactly what she's planning."

The caretaker kept silent, opening the Dutch door of a stall to lead Antares in. "Here, I'll stable your darling. You come have a look at him," he said gruffly, holding the door open for Yixing to step through.

The advisor tied Scorpio's reins quickly to a nearby set of cross ties with a slip knot and stepped through the door. Antares looked at him warily but allowed him to touch him. The advisor knelt, running his hand along the horse's front leg, squeezing gently to get him to lift the leg.

Antares flinched the moment his hand went anywhere near his knee. Yixing bit his lip. That was not a good sign. He smoothed his hand down the Arab's leg, his heart thudding heavily in his chest. The leg was warm and seemed slightly swollen at his knee. When he made an attempt to touch the knee, Antares jerked away, favoring his leg.

"How's he doing?"

Yixing looked up in surprise to see Shinwoo outside the Dutch door looking down at him. "Not too good. There's heat in this leg and it's only the first leg I've checked." The advisor moved to the horse's hind legs, giving them a thorough feel over.

"It's just this leg. I think he may have injured a ligament." The advisor mumbled, feeling guilt settle in his stomach. He rose to his feet, setting a hand on Antares's shoulder. The horse seemed to have sensed his guilt and turned to nuzzle at him gently. "I'm sorry, boy." Yixing patted the horse gently.

Shinwoo unbolted the door, the sound startling the Arab. The black horse moved away as the caretaker hung up a hay net and filled his water trough, wary of the newcomer. "We'll cool the leg down later. Right now, you need dinner," Shinwoo said firmly, placing a hand on the advisor's shoulder to guide him out of the stall.

Yixing gave Antares one last reassuring pat on the shoulder and followed the caretaker out of the stable. He would never admit it but he was exhausted and half starved.