Chapter 9

Kin's Love

 

“Damn it!” Yifan cursed and swore as he pulled the cotton shirt on. His large fingers fumbled over the buttons and he swore again.

“Yifan ge! Hurry up or they will leave without you!” Zitao yelled from outside the bathroom. He sighed internally. As much as Zitao despised how disgustingly close Yifan and Yixing were, he missed the advisor because without him, he was the one who had to chase around after the prince.

“Wait a second! Damn buttons won't go right!” Yifan roared, undoing one that he had done to the wrong hole.

“The buttons. He needs help buttoning his shirt. They are always too small for his hands.”

Zitao spun around when he heard that. “Xing Ge!”

Yixing stifled a smile when he heard the prince cursing loudly from behind the door. “Go and help him, Zitao. I'll tell his father.”

Zitao blinked and the advisor was out of the room before he could say anything. The prince had gone silent behind the door. “Yifan ge?” Slowly, the door opened and Zitao stepped back in shock when Yifan poked his head out, shirt still half opened.

“Was that Yixing?” The prince asked in a hushed voice. His friend nodded slowly, looking at Yifan as if he had grown another head. “Help me with this damn shirt, will you?” Yifan muttered and gestured at his open chest.

Zitao flushed and took another step back. “Can't you do them?” He shifted uncomfortably.

“Yixing always does them. They're so small,” Yifan protested. “Come on or they'll leave without us!”

With his face as red as a tomato, Zitao fumbled with the buttons and at last, they were ready.

 

“Finally, I thought we would have to leave without you!” Joonmyun cried, exasperated when the prince appeared in the courtyard. The rest of the hunting party had already mounted and ready to leave.

Murmuring apologies, Yifan made his way over to his horse which to his dismay, was standing next to Yixing’s Scorpio. “This is a set up,” he muttered to himself as he stuck a toe in the stirrup, swinging himself into the saddle. Antares snorted and side stepped a little, sensing his rider’s tension.

Yixing kept his eyes forward, hands resting easily on the pommel. The prince shortened his reins and stared up towards the front, refusing to acknowledge Yixing's presence. The king had put them into the center of the hunting party for maximum security and they were surrounded.

Joonmyun gave Yixing a pitying look as he pulled his horse up alongside him when he noticed Yifan’s sour expression. This was not going to be fun.

 

-

 

“Where in the world is it?” Zhang Cheng muttered to himself as he rummaged through the dusty trunk. He was searching through the vaults alone as Yixing had been relegated to join in the hunt for the prince’s safety.

The Zhangs had been in residence ever since the first Wu King ascended the throne, and their history was nearly as long as the Wu’s, only of less importance. However, what the healer was trying to remember now could be one of the most important pieces of history that could uncover the reason behind the first uprising and make a connection to the present curse on the first born Wu.

Zhang Cheng pushed a dusty tome to the side and set aside a few scrolls of parchment so old that the paper was turning brown and gasped in relief, inhaling several centuries old dust while he did so. Coughing harshly, he pulled out the history textbook he had been given as a child. The book was as heavy as it had been when he was younger and it took great effort to lift it out of the trunk. Turning the yellowed pages gently, he found the chapter he was searching for.

 

One of the most famed healers in history was Zhang Wulian. It was rumored that he could bring the dead back to life but that was what it was; just a rumor. The one thing that made Wulian so famed was that he had laid with a sorceress named Raven, fathered a child with her, yet he had managed to escape from her evilness. The sorceress was a woman of great beauty and the son she had borne was said to be as beautiful as the moon herself. It was said that he had the dark eyes and fair skin of his mother and dark curly hair inherited from his father. The sorceress loved her child. She loved him more than she ever loved her husband. Wulian loved his son as well and for a while, they were happy.

 

Until one day, Wulian discovered that the sorceress had begun to teach the child dark magic and fearing that his son would grow up to become like his mother, he stole the child away in the night which enraged the sorceress. Wulian had learnt a bit of magic on his own by then and placed protective charms around his home to keep the boy safe. One day while he was gathering herbs with his son, she appeared and cast a deadly bolt aimed at Wulian's heart, determined to retrieve her son. It was then that the child leapt in front of his father, taking the bolt to the heart. He died in his father’s arms.

 

Raven mourned her son’s death and vowed to avenge him though his death was through no fault of the father. She led the magical rebellion and rose up against the current king, invading the palace where her former lover lived, determined for vengeance. Even till today, some say she still mourns her dead son. Many Zhang children have been born after the boy but none have even come close to the beloved son of the sorceress, Raven. 

 

Zhang Cheng went on to read a long list of the young boy’s attributes, written by the boy’s distraught father who wanted to remember his son. As he went through the list, his face went paler and paler. Nearly every characteristic on the list described one person.

“Cheng? What are you doing?” His wife’s voice filtered into his ear as he rose to his feet like a zombie. “What's wrong, love?” Liu Xing looked at the healer’s face worriedly.

“Read this.” Zhang Cheng pointed to the book, face white as a sheet.

His wife’s eyes flicked across the text and she too, lost the color on her face as she neared the end of the text. “You think…” she whispered.

Zhang Cheng nodded grimly in answer. Fear became a monster rearing its head in his chest. “And he’s out there with them.” 

 

-

 

Yixing leaned forward out of the saddle as much as he could to take the weight off of his horse as they galloped across the moors. The sun was high in the sky, making the moors glow green. With the sky so blue and clear, it was hard to imagine that anything could ruin this day, except for the fact that his best friend continued to ignore him. Scorpio whinnied in delight and asked for more rein as he stretched his neck forward.

Yixing could feel Yifan's leg pressed close to even as he dug his heels into the horse's side and tried to overtake him. The forest loomed ahead, dark and green, an ominous looking stretch across the bright golden moors. The clear call of the hunting horn sounded and the entire party slowed their horses to enter the forest.

The air seemed to go still as the king and his party stepped into the forest. The entire forest seemed to be holding its breath, waiting for something to happen. Yixing glanced around him uneasily as the hunting party moved forward, hoof beats silenced by the soft earth. The wind rustled softly through the leaves and there was no sign of any wildlife. Then, one of the hounds started barking. The thrill of the hunt was infectious as the party broke into a run towards the hounds that were barking up a storm.

Caught up in the confusion, Yifan took the chance and slipped out of the party easily by holding back Antares even though he was agitated and wanted to run with the herd. He scowled when he noticed Yixing doing the same; of course his best friend would notice. Yixing shot him a look and spurred his horse forward to block the Prince's way as he tried to turn in another direction.

"Damn it!" Yifan cursed when he had to pull on the reins hard to stop Antares from crashing headfirst into Yixing's horse. Antares snorted in annoyance as the rest of the hunting party ran on ahead, leaving the two of them at the back of the party. The prince tried to turn his Arab around but Yixing was faster, wheeling around to face him.

"Move aside," Yifan growled coldly as he stared into Yixing's serene face. His calmness annoyed him. How could he look so unaffected when their friendship was falling to pieces around them?

"You're not allowed to go wandering off," the advisor murmured softly, refusing to budge.

"Too bad," Yifan murmured, using the trick Yixing himself had taught him before. He pulled his legs behind the girth of the saddle and kicked hard. Antares reared up, snorting and his forelegs lashed outwards towards Yixing.

Yixing screamed. The sudden shadow startled Scorpio and he jumped forward, catching his rider by surprise. Yixing snatched up a handful of mane just in time as his horse plunged forward in a blind gallop. He wrapped his arms into Scorpio's mane, heart pounding in his chest as he tried to calm his bolting horse. He yanked on the reins but the Andalusian had taken the bit between his teeth and he had lost all contact with him. Scorpio was running in the wrong direction and he needed to stop him before they got lost.

“Woah! Woah, boy! It's okay!” Yixing cried out in shock when Scorpio leapt over a massive log and tripped. His heart jolted up to his throat as he pulled on the reins to right his horse. The bit jerked backwards into the Andalusian’s mouth and he struggled upright, eyes rolling and white sweat foaming on his neck. “Easy, take it easy.”

Yixing gasped when he was pulled forward, twining his fingers into the white mane of his horse. Dimly, he could hear another horse crashing through the undergrowth after him but at that moment, all his focus was on trying to stop his horse from killing himself.

 

-

 

Luhan leapt over the stream easily, nosing around the forest floor for flowers to eat. There was a very particular flower that grew only in that section of the forest and he loved the taste of it. He sniffed along the earth, searching for the particular scent that flower gave out. A flash of purple and blue caught his eyes and he made a sound of delight as he ambled over to snatch at the petals.

“Woah! Scorpio!”

 

The stag pricked up his ears when he heard a scream and horse hooves thudding heavily on to the soft earth.

 

“Scorpio, no!”

 

Luhan pulled the flower out of the earth and broke into a run to have a look at what was going on, despite Shinwoo’s warnings echoing in the back of his mind. He leapt out into a clearing just as a magnificent white horse crashed into it. The horse looked terrible, the whites of his eyes showing and nostrils red with stress. At the sight of him, the horse reared up and the screams of a rider greeted his ears. Luhan watched in horror when the horse threw his rider clear of the saddle, the poor man flying backwards and landing painfully hard on his side.

 

“Yixing!”

 

Luhan had just started towards the unconscious man when another horse, a storm black Arabian tore into the clearing, barely able to stop before the rider was flinging himself off the horse and running towards the fallen man.

 

-

 

Yixing’s heart thundered in his ears and his sweaty hands were slipping on the reins as Scorpio crossed a river, tripped, and nearly fell. All he could do was cling on tight and pray that he would not fall. His muscles tensed as Scorpio leapt over yet another fallen log and his breath caught in his throat. They passed between two trees that were thicker and taller than the rest and Scorpio started to slow, fatigue showing in his body.

Just as Yixing thought they could get out of this alive, a stag leapt into the clearing carrying an odd purple and blue flower in its mouth. Scorpio whinnied in shock and reared. The sudden movement caught the advisor off guard and his heart flew to his mouth as suddenly he was flying through the air. Wind whistled past his ears before he heard an awful snap as he hit the ground hard on his side. The pain was like an explosion rocketing through his entire body as he lay there, winded from the impact. Black spots danced in front of his eyes and there was a ringing in his ears. He heard someone call his name before everything went black.

"Yixing! Yixing!" Yifan flung himself off his horse and broke into a run. He had panicked the moment he saw Scorpio bolt, and had chased after them, terrified that Yixing would be killed.

Yixing’s face was pale and there was sweat trickling down his temples. His shirt was soaked with sweat as well. Then he noticed crimson red blood was soaking through Yixing’s gray shirt, staining the fabric. Yifan did not dare to move him, afraid that he might aggravate the injury. His best friend’s eyes were closed and his breathing was becoming shallower. The prince was petrified as he knelt by his friend, not knowing what to do.

A soft muzzle into his hand then he looked up. A stag with gentle eyes and golden horns was standing right beside him, chocolate eyes looking directly into his. “Lu…Luhan?” Yifan whispered, hardly daring to believe what he was seeing.

The stag bobbed his head gently and nuzzled into his neck. Then the creature stepped away.

Yifan’s eyes followed him. “Where are you going?” he asked, rising to his feet. Luhan his head in Yixing’s direction vigorously and Yifan felt as if he understood. “Stay here?” He wanted to be sure and the stag nodded.

Luhan could hardly believe his eyes. His brother, standing right in front of him. This was the moment he had dreamed of his entire life. Yifan was staring at him with those amber eyes, full of worry and guilt. He nodded his head before turning and breaking into a run.

He had to get back to the castle and get Shinwoo. From the way Yixing was bleeding, the prince guessed that he may have broken a rib. Moving him was dangerous because the broken bone was sharp and could pierce his lung. Luhan ran at full speed out of the forest and across the moors, very aware of how little time they had. He reared onto his hind legs and kicked at the door frantically.

Shinwoo’s face when he opened the door was one of shock because the prince never returned that early when the sun had barely passed overhead. Luhan lurched forward and gripped the edge of Shinwoo’s shirt with his teeth. He tugged hard and the man came tumbling with him.

“What on earth! Luhan! What’s happened?” Shinwoo asked, feeling stupid the moment the words passed his lips. The prince tugged again, eyes full of urgency. Of course Luhan could not answer him. The stag his head in the direction of the forest and Shinwoo frowned. “You want me to go in there?”

Luhan nodded and stamped his hooves. Time was ticking. He bleated impatiently as Shinwoo ran to get his horse. The moment the caretaker was in the saddle, Luhan turned tail and ran across the meadow, the horse following close behind. He skittered lightly over the damp earth, retracing his footsteps back to where he had asked Yifan to stay.

Shinwoo's jaw dropped when he saw the two horses and the golden haired prince kneeling by the side of an unconscious man. “Good lord.” he whispered, moving over to touch the prince to make sure he was not dreaming.

“Can you help him?” Yifan looked up pleadingly at the strange man his brother had brought. The colour had completely drained out of Yixing’s face and he was having difficulty breathing.

Shinwoo snapped out of his daze and knelt to look at the young man. “What happened?” he asked, carefully resting a hand on the man’s stomach. He moved his fingers upwards to the blood soaked material on the right side of his chest and winced. A broken rib. He could feel the sharp bone through the man’s shirt. The injured man was worryingly pale, his shallow breathing the only indication that he was still alive.

“His horse threw him and he landed on his side,” Yifan mumbled, supplying information he knew the stranger needed. “He has hemophilia,” he added, another vital information.

Alarmed, Shinwoo lifted his head. “We need to bind and splint that bone but I am no healer. Any movement the wrong way could pierce his lung and kill him.”

Yifan’s face paled at the man’s words.

“How fast can you get to the palace?” the caretaker asked as he reached for the knife strapped to the young man’s hip. With a swift move, he sliced open his shirt and stared, horrified. The tip of the broken bone peeked out from the man’s chest and there was a lot of blood. “He needs a healer fast.”

Yifan scrambled to his feet, staring in terror.

“Luhan will go. He will be faster than your horse who is weary.” Shinwoo nodded at the stag and Luhan’s ears pricked up.

The prince pulled a ring from his finger and removed the pendant from his best friend’s neck. “Take this to the first guard you see. He will take them to the healer.” He fastened the pendant and the ring around his brother’s neck.

Luhan nodded, his face as a way to console him before bounding off.

Shinwoo stripped off his shirt and wrapped it gently around the young man in hopes of stemming the bleeding.

“Who are you?” Yifan asked quietly, tenderly brushing back a lock of hair from Yixing’s forehead.

“Shinwoo. I'm your brother’s caretaker.”

The prince picked up his friend’s hand which was cold to the touch. He bit back a soft sob. This was all his fault.

 

-

 

The hunting party at that moment, was in a terrible panic. The prince had disappeared and the king was worried sick. The guards had only noticed that the prince and his friend was missing when they had stopped to give the horses a chance to rest.

Yi Chen cursed himself for allowing Yifan to join him on the hunt; he should have known that the prince would defy him. His only consolation was that Yixing was with him. No matter how strained their relationship was for the time being, he could always trust the advisor to take care of his son. But he still feared for his son's safety because the forest was Raven's territory and Yifan was at risk the longer he remained alone.

"Perhaps they have returned to the palace," Duke Junseo suggested, seeming to sense the underlying fear in the king's heart. Yi Chen highly doubted that but he remained silent, not wanting to rile up his hunting party.

"Your Majesty." Zitao appeared in front of the king, head bowed.

"Any sign of him?" The king asked eagerly, hope flaring in his chest. But one glance at the guard's dejected face and he got his answer.

Junseo grasped his friend's arm gently. "Let's return to the palace. It's getting late." 

"No, I will not leave my son out here in the dark," Yi Chen snapped, turning away so that no one could see the panic in his face.

"But they could have returned to the palace upon realising that they could not find us. It is easier to leave the forest than to look for us," the duke said soothingly. "He could be dead for all I know," the king whispered when Zitao had left them, to aid the other lords.

"Yixing is with him. I doubt he would let Yifan kill himself," Junseo murmured. "Come, we will return to the palace and plan what to do next there. We are all weary." Reluctantly, Yi Chen allowed his friend to lead him away to mount his horse and make for home.

"What is that?" Joonmyun gasped when he saw a glimmer of gold streaking across the open moors, heading towards the town.

Yi Chen looked up and his mouth dropped open. He would know the stag anywhere. "Let's go!" he cried, kicking his horse into action to follow the animal racing across the moors.

Joonmyun followed suit, gut instinct telling him that something may have happened in the forest for the stag to leave the safety of it.

 

-

 

Luhan tore across the moors as if he had wings. He hardly noticed the strain on his body and the hard packed earth of the moors beneath his feet. All he could think of was the young man lying on the ground with his life's blood draining out of him. The memory of the look on his little brother's face was enough to spur him on, sinewed body stretching to its limits.

The wind whistled past his face and the sky was darkening rapidly. Storm clouds that had not been there before loomed on the horizon. The prince ran as if his life depended on it, up the mountain path and into the town, ignoring the astonished looks of the townsfolk. His only aim was the healer in the palace. The scenery around him seemed to blur with how fast he was moving as he raced towards the palace.

The guards standing at the iron gates seemed just as astonished to see him. Time, he thought. Yixing has no time! The prince reared onto his hind legs and screamed as loud as he could. The guards were startled by this display and did not dare to approach him. Panting and trembling with sweat rolling off his shoulders, Luhan stumbled to the closest guard and his muzzle into his stomach in desperation.

"Why, I think he wants to enter the palace!" the guard cried out in shock and the prince nodded, dark eyes pleading.

"What's that on his neck?" the other guard asked, moving closer to inspect the stag, now that he was not rearing.

"Steady now, old fellow. Easy," the guard closest to him murmured as his hand reached out to touch the prince's neck. Luhan remembered his brother's words and stilled, allowing the guard to undo the clasp on the necklace and lift it off his neck.

"It's the prince's ring!" The guard cried out in astonishment and looked at the stag in shock. "How did he get it?"

"And this is that healer's necklace. I remember it well. The prince had it commissioned for his birthday."

Luhan nodded his head and stamped his hooves urgently. Hurry, hurry! In this moment, he wished he could speak and tell them that time was tight and Yixing could be dying as the stupid humans stood in front the gates talking.

"Take it in to the healer. I'll send for the queen and this guy in," the guard who had taken the necklace commanded. The other guard nodded and ran off, jewelry in hand. "You want to come in, old fella?" The guard move closer to the stag and Luhan allowed him to set a hand on his shoulder and guide him in. The guard led him through the courtyard and helped him up the marble steps which were extremely slippery beneath his hooves and ordered the stunned guards at the doors to open for them.

In any other given situation, Luhan would have been awed by the grandeur of the palace but with Yixing's life weighing heavily on his shoulders, he paid no attention to the softness of the red carpet beneath his hooves or how the light glistened off the crystal chandeliers that adorned the ceilings like he usually would and instead walked straight ahead, having eyes for only the queen who had rushed into the throne room upon receiving the news. Luhan lifted his head as his mother opened her arms, eyes glittering with joyful tears. He only managed to make a single sound, a soft whine before he collapsed onto the carpet, completely drained of energy.