Chapter Thirteen: Sehun

Lay Your Heart Next To Mine (I feel so alive)

Strolling through the place like he already owned it, Sehun gestured for the others to follow him and pushed open western style double doors that would lead to a potential office space.

 

Behind him he heard Chen remark, “It is nice.”

 

And then Suho said, “So is his current house.”

 

Sehun glanced over his shoulder at the both of them. “Chen, you get best friend points for being supportive. Suho, you may have to walk home.”

 

Suho gave him a mock glare. “I drove. Good luck with that.”

 

With a sigh, Sehun surveyed the room. He’d already been to the new property twice before, and he’d seen the room many times over. It was much smaller than his old office space, but in a lot of ways he thought that would mean he’d want to spend less time cooped up in the room. Instead he’d have to learn how to balance his work a little more affectively at his main office, not bring it home so much, and devote more time to a toddler who was going to be walking before he ever realized it.

 

“You really like this place?” Chen asked, sliding up next to him.

 

“I do,” Sehun said with a nod. “It’s closer to the office.”

 

Suho interjected, “And closer to Luhan.”

 

“That too,” Sehun said, not trying to hide that. “If Luhan and I are going to be spending a lot of time over the next few decades at each others homes, I want the journey between them to be as short as possible.”

 

Suho wandered past the office space, through to the living room that was connected to an open looking kitchen. “It’s a lot smaller, Sehun, than your current house. Do you really want to downsize?”

 

With trembling fingers, Sehun closed the office double doors and leaned his forehead against the wood frame. “I’m sure. Suho.” Sehun tilted his head to stare at the man as Chen riffled through the kitchen distractedly. “Jae and I bought the other house because we liked how big it was. It had enough bedrooms for us to have more than a couple of kids. Luhan and I … we’re only having one. Suho, I’m only having one.”

 

Gently, Suho reminded, “Eventually you could remarry, Sehun. You’re still very young. You could still meet someone very nice, want to get married, and start a family.”

 

It soured Sehun’s mood to think about that. He didn’t want to move on from Jae or Luhan. And his daughter with Luhan was more than enough. He absolutely did not see himself in ten years remarried and a father to more than one.

 

“I don’t think so,” he said simply. “So right now this place is perfect. There’s just enough room for myself, the baby, and Luhan if he ever needs to stay over for any reason.”

 

At Luhan’s mention, Suho’s face softened. “How is Luhan? Have you heard from him since he left?”

 

Mouth set into a frown, Sehun had to shake his head. Luhan had promised he’d call once he landed in China safely, but no matter how Sehun had tried to wait patiently, the call had never come. And it had been two days now, which was why Sehun was trying to distract himself from the nagging feeling that Luhan wouldn’t simply forget something that important.

 

“His father just had a heart attack and isn’t expected to live for very long,” Sehun reasoned out, wondering if he was convincing himself or Suho. “I know he’ll call when he can, but right now, he has to take care of family business.”

 

Rounding the corner towards them, Chen asked, “Can I go look around upstairs? This place is really nice, Sehun. After Eunji and I get married, I might be eyeing that available space across the street.”

 

Sehun smiled back at him. Having Chen closer would actually be nice. For the past few years Sehun had gotten used to the idea that his best friend could be gone at a moment’s notice, flying off to take pictures of some war torn country, or snapping moments in time for profound editorial pieces about humanity. He’d tried to be supportive, but it was something that had made him a little bitter. So more than ever he was excited over the idea of Chen getting married. Because Chen getting married meant Chen settling down and staying in one place for a long while.

 

“Better get it quick if you’re serious.”

 

Suho cut in, “I can’t believe either of you are serious.”

 

“Why not?” Chen protested, moving up the stairs slowly. “If Sehun wants to move, let him. Suho, I’m starting to think you’re more attached to that house than Sehun is.”

 

If Suho was attached, Sehun understood why. It was the house that Suho had had a hand in helping his brother purchase. It was a house he’d spent an entire weekend moving things into, and it was where Jae had told him he was pregnant. It was the house that Suho had slept over at when Jae had needed support during almost violent bouts of morning sickness, while Sehun had been out of the country on a business trip he’d had to attend. It was the house Suho had helped decorate, helped make feel like a home, and it was the last place Suho had seen his brother alive at.

 

“Suho,” Sehun said quietly as he waved Chen up the stairs to look at the bedrooms. “I’m not trying to get rid of what reminds me of Jae, if that’s what you think.”

 

“Are you sure?” Suho wondered. “I think it’s great that you’re trying to move on from that dark place you were at, and I appreciate you attempting to be a productive member of society again, supporting Luhan and the fact that you’re about to become a father. And mom mentioned that the last time you called her, you asked for the number of the therapist she’s been seeing since Jae’s death. That’s commendable--admirable, even. But after you sell that house you bought with my brother, there won’t be much left to remind you of him.”

 

“That’s not true,” Sehun denied right away. But was it?

 

“I hope not,” Suho said, moving to the stairs. “I don’t want you to cling to the past, Sehun. But I also don’t want you to forget it.”

 

Fifteen minutes later Chen was bounding back down the stairs, declaring, “This is the place for you, Sehun. You can get to work and Luhan’s place in fifteen minutes from here, there’s enough space for when your daughter eventually yokes you into getting a puppy for her third Christmas, and it’s also near enough me that I can come drag you out when I think you’ve been inside for too long. Tell me you made an offer.”

 

“I made an offer,” Sehun said, avoiding eye contact with Suho. “I made an offer the second I closed sale on the old place. I think it’s all going to work out pretty quickly.”

 

Chen raised an eyebrow. “Then … moving party?”

 

“You mean an excuse or you and Baekhyun and Chanyeol and Kai to gather around and drink beer?” Suho asked.

 

Chen held up a corrective finger. “We only drink beer after we’ve finished moving everything in. Never before or during. Not since we nicked that antique table end of Baekhyun’s when we helped him move into his new place and he almost cried.”

 

Suho chuckled and Sehun reached into his pocket for his phone once more, swiping his thumb across the screen in a desperate hope that he simply hadn’t heard a call from Luhan.

 

“Still nothing?” Suho asked, and Sehun wished he didn’t look so pathetic.

 

“I should be patient.” Sehun said, but it was the last thing he wanted to be.

 

“No,” Chen soffed, “you should stop waiting for him to call you, and call him instead. Either he’s too busy to pick up the phone, in which you’ll leave him a nice voicemail reminding him to call you, or he picks up the phone, probably tells you he simply forgot, and you guys have a nice chat that makes it look like you aren’t about to pass a lump of coal as a diamond any second.”

 

Sehun gave Chen a dark look and a rude gesture. “Remind me again why you’re my best friend.”

 

Chen gave him a friendly slap as he passed by to the front door. “Because no one else would take you.”

 

“Come on,” Suho said, hooking Sehun by the crook of his arm easily and pulling him towards the front door. “I’ve seen enough of this place, and I think you have too.”

 

They caught lunch after that, just Sehun and Chen, with Suho ducking out after an explosive call to his cellphone about some kind of emergency at work.

 

Over a lunch of pizza and beer, Chen remarked, “When Luhan gets back, I want you and him to finally meet Eunji. It’s about time, don’t you think?”

 

“It’s crazy,” Sehun correctly. “That you’ve been dating this girl for almost two years and I still don’t know what she looks like.”

 

“I’ve shown you pictures,” Chen corrected. “You’ve just never met her. It has mostly to do with the fact that she’s been studying over seas off and on for the past few years. And then of couse whenever she’s back in the country you’re jetting off somewhere. But seriously, when Luhan gets back, I want the four of us to get together.” Chen fumbled for a minute, then pulled out his cellphone and turned it towards Sehun. “Here, to refresh your memory.”

 

Ah, Sehun remembered Eunji now. She had the particular habit of wearing her bangs cut low on her forehead, which mostly obscured her features. But she looked pretty enough … if not completely familiar.

 

“What?” Chen asked, noticing the look on his face.

 

“I just realized it,” Sehun said, peering at the photo again. “She looks really familiar for some reason. I swear I’ve seen her somewhere before.”

 

“In your dreams maybe,” Chen snorted, then he slipped the phone back into his pocket.

 

“Whatever.” Sehun rolled his eyes. “Fine. Me, you, her, and Luhan when things settle down.” Then he paused wondering, “Why do you want the four of us together?”

 

“Because,” Chen said, forehead creasing in concentration. “one day you’re going to figure out just what Luhan means to you, and then you’ll be thankful for the four of us already being friends.”

 

Sehun pulled back a little. “Excuse me?”

 

“Eat your pizza,” Chen said with a sigh. “And call Luhan when you get the chance. Jeeze, I hope he comes back soon. I can’t stand this mopey face you have with him gone.”

 

Later that night after Sehun managed to squeeze out only a few hours of distracted work for the next day, he sat back in the recliner and found Luhan’s name easily in the phone book. Seoul was only an hour ahead of Beijing, which was where Luhan was nearest. So when he called, he half expected the phone to pick up almost immediately. When it went directly to voicemail, the disappointment in him was almost staggering.

 

“Luhan,” he said, still trying to work out what kind of message he was going to leave. “It’s Sehun. I just … I was worried. Are you okay? Call me if you have the time. I’ll pick up the phone for you no matter what. Call me if you want to talk, or just to let me know you’re okay. I … I miss you. Both of you.”

 

He wanted to call back immediately, but forcefully put the phone on the coffee table and resisted the urge. Luhan was dealing with something horrible at the moment. The last thing he needed was Sehun acting the part of a stalker, or even a boyfriend.

 

But by day three without contact, Sehun’s worry was overwhelming, and on the fourth, before Sehun’s blood pressure could skyrocket, Chanyeol poked his head through Sehun’s office door and said, “Hey, Xiumin’s here.”

 

Sehun put down the tablet he’d been idly sketching on and sat up straight. “What? Xiumin?”

 

A half second later Xiumin was striding purposefully into Sehun’s office, a dark look on his face.

 

Not even waiting for Chanyeol to leave, Xiumin demanded, “Has Luhan contacted you?”

 

Sehun shook his head quickly. “He hasn’t called you, either?”

 

“No,” Xiumin snapped, “and he would have. Something is wrong.”

 

Sehun swallowed past the lump in his throat. “His father is going to die any day. He’s dealing with a mother who has never supported him. I think he’s a little distracted. We should give him time.”

 

“No,” Xiumin insisted. “I’m telling you, I know something is wrong, and I think you do too.”

 

“I do,” Sehun admitted quickly enough. “Luhan said he’d call, and I could see him forgetting the first night, but its been four days now. He knew I was nervous about him going to China so far into his pregnancy. He would have called if he was able to.” He and Xiumin had certainly had their differences before, but on the subject of Luhan, they were a united front.

 

“That’s what I’m getting at.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Xiumin clarified, “If he was able to.”

 

Unable to go down that thought process just yet, Sehun asked, “What about Lay? Kris? Has he contacted Tao?”

 

“Nothing,” Xiumin said. “It’s like Luhan has completely fallen off the radar, and I’m actually scared for what it means. Do you have any idea what his parents are like?”

 

Sehun offered, “Unsupportive, judgemental, harsh.”

 

“Controling,” Xiumin told him flatly. “Before Luhan came to Korea, they controlled him completely. They told him which school to go to, which friends to have, what extracurricular activities to take part in, and they even decided what he’d wear, or how he’d get his hair cut. When I say they controlled him completely, I mean it. What if they’re stopping him from getting in contact with us?”

 

The idea was terrifying.

 

“But Luhan isn’t a child anymore,” Sehun argued. “He isn’t a minor. He’s a grown adult. How much control could they still have over him?”

 

“I don’t know,” Xiumin admitted. “But there is this terrible feeling in my gut that Luhan is in trouble and he needs our help. God, I’d feel just a little better if he’d just answer the phone when I called. If I could just speak to him, I wouldn’t be so freaked out.”

 

The downright uncertainty in Xiumin’s face made him just a bit endearing to Sehun. He’d never really seen Xiumin as anything but overbearing and stubborn. This was different, however.

 

Sehun tapped Luhan’s number in his own phone. “It’s the same for me. Straight to voicemail.”

 

Therefore, it was completely and utterly unexpected that the line connected and Luhan asked, “Sehun?”

 

Sehun lunged to bring the phone up to his ear, Xiumin darted forwards as well.

 

“Luhan!” Sehun said loudly, feeling breathless. “Are you okay? What’s happening? Why didn’t you call? Are you--”

 

Luhan said easily, “--really been giving this some thought, Sehun. I belong at home with my parents. I belong in China. I’m going to stay. You understand, right?”

 

“Are you kidding?” Sehun thundered, just as Xiumin demanded to know, “What’s he saying!”

 

“I’ve been speaking with my parents,” Luhan continued. “They’ve really opened my eyes. I was … foolhardy and young when I went to Korea. I was naïve. But I think I finally have my feet firmly on the ground, so I won’t be coming back.”

 

“You hate what your parents made you feel,” Sehun hissed angrily. “You hate that they didn’t support you, or value you as an artist, or simply want you to be happy. You are not trying to tell me that they’re going to let you paint over there.”

 

Xiumin slammed a hand down on Sehun’s desk. “Put him on speaker phone.”

 

Sehun hit the button just as he pressed a finger to his lips. Luhan’s voice was strained. There was something more going on that Sehun didn’t want Xiumin to ruin.

 

“Painting is for children,” Luhan said, and Sehun was willing to risk anything in the world that Luhan had choked the words out. “My family has a lucrative business in the medical field. I’m going to be overseeing that from now on.”

 

“Luhan,” Sehun whispered his heart pounding so loud all the way up to his ear. “Is someone making you say this?”

 

A stale laugh followed. “Who would be making me say anything? Please, Sehun. Now, I’ll need you to say goodbye to the others for me,” Luhan said. “Tell Suho I’m sorry couldn’t do that job for him at his dance studio, and that I appreciate Baekhyun being my best friend for all those years.”

 

Sehun’s eyes jerked up to Xiumin and he knew they both understood the situation. Luhan wasn’t simply mixed up. And he wasn’t the only one who could hear the conversation on his end.

 

“I …” Sehun wasn’t sure how to proceed now.

 

“I know this is going to be difficult for you at first,” Luhan said, “But I’m really very happy here with Wei and my old friends. Will you pass on those messages to the others?”

 

Voice cracking, Sehun asked, “What about the baby? What about our daughter?”

 

This time there was a significant delay on Luhan’s end. Until finally he said, “I know we’ve fought almost constantly over her.”

 

They hadn’t. That was a downright lie. In the beginning they’d fought about Sehun taking responsibility, but since then they’d gotten along remarkably well. And the one thing there’d never been any tension over, the one thing that Sehun knew they were both explicitly clear about, was their baby.

 

“So …”

 

“I may have misjudged how ready I am to be a father,” Luhan said finally, his voice pitchy. “I think, seeing as she’ll been half Korean, that she might be better suited with you. I’ll have her here, and then my parents will see to it that she’s safely delivered into your waiting arms as soon as she’s old enough to travel.”

 

“Luhan.”

 

“Don’t worry about my things,” Luhan said. “I don’t have anything of particular importance at my apartment and everything else can be replaced.”

 

Sehun could hear Xiumin breathing in raggedly next to him, and Sehun was completely at a loss.

 

“Don’t contact me again, Sehun. Please. I need to make a clean break and start over. Do you understand. Do you understand what I’ve told you?”

 

Finally, Sehun recovered his wits, and he was almost certain he knew what Luhan was asking. “I understand. don’t worry, Luhan. I understand completely.”

 

Luhan gave a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

 

When the phone call ended, Xiumin shouted explosively, “Someone made him say that!”

 

“I know,” Sehun said, tossing his phone down on the desk and pinching the bridge of his nose. “Someone was listening on his end. He had to be careful what he said. But you’re right, he is in danger. There’s something wrong. He’s in trouble.”

 

“I’m going to kill them if they’ve threatened or hurt Luhan in some way,” Xiumin vowed.

 

Sehun asked with a frown, “Did you hear what he said? He said he’d been talking with his parents. He said his parents helped him see where he really needed to be. His parents. Xiumin, his father is supposed to be on his death bed.”

 

Xiumin’s eyes widened. “What if that was a lie? We both know that there was no way Luhan was going home to China any time soon of his own volition. He was too afraid of the kind of control his parents would try to exercise over him, and he really wasn’t going to bring a baby with him. I bet his parents knew that, too. Sehun, I think his mother lied to him and said that his father had suffered a medical emergency, knowing that was the only way he’d leave Korea.”

 

“So what are we going to do?” Sehun asked.

 

“Get your coat,” Xiumin said, “we have to go to the university.”

 

It was Lay they were actually going to see. Sehun realized that as soon as they were parked at the university and striding directly towards a building that housed mainly classes for graduate students.

 

“Lay’s parents work in the government sector in China,” Xiumin explained as they climbed stairs. “If Luhan can’t get back here, it means his parents have something on him, or they’ve taken his passport and visa. He can’t even book a flight without his passport, and he can’t enter the country without his work visa.”

 

“What will Lay’s parents be able to do about that?” Sehun asked.

 

“I don’t know,” Xiumin told him. “But I hope Lay does.”

 

“What exactly do you want me to tell my parents?” Lay asked when they caught him coming out of one of his classes. “I want to help as much as possible, but I don’t know what you want me to tell them. That Luhan’s parents are keeping him hostage?”

 

There was no way Sehun was letting Luhan’s parents keep him. There was no way that he wasn’t going to fight for Luhan, and for the life they’d carved out for themselves. Luhan’s parents probably thought they were clever, but Sehun was desperate, and he thought that trumped cleverness.

 

“I don’t care what you tell them,” Sehun said, straightening his shoulders. “But I have a passport and I’m going to get Luhan.”

Xiumin gave him a startled look. “Just like that?”

“Just like that,” Sehun said. He was going to go and personally bring Luhan home, and no one, not Luhan’s parents, were going to stop him. “I’m going to get him. But I need you, Lay, to have your parents figure out a way to get Luhan back in the country. What you tell them is up to you, but you have to make it happen.”

 

Lay sighed deeply. “This isn’t going to be easy, you realize, and they’re going to ask a whole lot of questions.”

 

“We know,” Xiumin said, “and we’re thankful.”

 

“I can’t make any promises,” Lay warned, “but if I were in trouble, Luhan would help me. And we can’t let those s he calls parents keep him.”

 

“Do you think they’ll hurt him?” Sehun asked, looking between Lay and Xiumin. If Luhan’s parents dared to touch him …

 

“Not physically,” Xiumin said, and he sounded sure. “Luhan told me that when he was younger, he’d push the limits all the time, just to see how worked up he could get his parents. He did all sorts of rebellious teenage things and his parents could lecture him for hours without getting tired, but they never raised a hand to him. They didn’t have to, not when they controlled his future. They won’t hit him or hurt him in that way, but there are plenty other ways for them to do it.”

 

“Give me time,” Lay said, phone already in his hands. “Give me a day.”

 

Sehun offered a shaky. “Okay. Thank you, Lay.”

 

From the moment he’d figured out Luhan was in trouble, to the second he’d volunteered to go after him, Sehun regretted nothing. Luhan wasn’t just the person who was carrying and protecting his child, but Luhan was also a friend. He was welcoming and funny, strong and confident, and he was everything that Sehun had needed in his life after losing Jae, even if he hadn’t wanted it.

 

Not to mention the fact that every time Sehun looked at Luhan now, his gut clenched up like he was sixteen again and getting his first kiss. Luhan made his heart speed up, his legs feel boneless, and if Sehun weren’t still such a coward, he could admit to himself what all of that meant.

 

Maybe he could after he brought Luhan back.

 

Booking a flight was easy enough, even with the last minute fees and having to travel coach. It had cost him a fool’s fortune, but as he stuffed clothing into a carry-on bag for the flight, simultaneously calling Chanyeol, he still regretted absolutely nothing.

 

Luhan was the kind of person to go above and beyond for the people he called friends. Luhan would have risked everything for Sehun, if it had been him in danger. So this was the absolute least that Sehun could do.

 

“What’s going on with Luhan?” Chanyeol asked the second he was on the line.

 

“I’m going to China,” Sehun said, cutting him off.

 

“China!”

 

“Luhan needs me, there’s been an … emergency. So I’m going to China and I need you to tell the boss.”

 

Nervously, Chanyeol eased out, “Sehun, we have that project that’s due in a few days. I don’t think this is the time to leave the country.”

 

“Trust me,” Sehun shot back, balling up a pair of pants and shoving them down in the bag. “If I don’t go now, I don’t know if I’ll get another shot at getting Luhan back.”

 

“Back? Sehun, what did you meant when you said Luhan needs you? What kind of emergency? Oh, Christ, is the baby okay?”

 

Sehun paused. His boss, while not aware of the circumstances around Luhan’s pregnancy, was privy to the fact that Sehun was the father. Sehun had been forced to tell him when he’d made the decision to take off several weeks after the baby’s birth to help Luhan care for the newborn.

 

“Yeah … it’s … umm …”

 

“What’s wrong with the baby?” Chanyeol demanded.

 

“Just tell the boss it’s about the baby,” Sehun said, and he hoped that the universe wouldn’t hold the slight fib against him. For the baby, Sehun might escape any sort of ramifications that might come from ditching out work for god knew how long.

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

“I’m leaving now,” Sehun said, zipping the bag closed and pulling the strap over his head. “I’m sorry to leave you high and dry like this at work, but it is an emergency.”

 

Chanyeol insisted, “No, man, why didn’t you say it was about your daughter? , go, Sehun. Go.”

 

Sehun didn’t need to be told twice.

 

Lay and Xiumin met him at the airport, the both of them looking like they hadn’t slept a wink, but Lay seemingly happier than Xiumin.

 

“Good news?” Sehun asked as they walked quickly to his departure gate.

 

“My parents weren’t exactly thrilled,” Lay said, phone in hand. “But they may have come up with something, at least once I explained the severity of the situation.”

 

“What did you tell them?” Sehun asked.

 

Lay shook his head. “I said that Luhan was important to you, that your baby was important, and that I’d come home a year sooner if they did this for me.”

 

“Come home early?” Sehun asked, slowing a bit.

 

Xiumin offered guiltily, “Lay wasn’t even supposed to stay in Korea for graduate school. He was supposed to go home to China for it. His parents only agreed to extend his stay because--”

 

“Because,” Lay cut in, “I promised to be an honorable son and get married as soon as I came home.”

 

“You’re getting married?” Sehun demanded.

 

Flatly, Lay returned, “I’ve known I was getting married since I was old enough to tie my shoes. My family is fairly influential in the political sphere, and families of this nature often set their children up, regardless of what said children might prefer. Things are very different here, Sehun, than they are in China.”

 

“Oh, Lay,” Sehun said, feeling beyond guilty. “You shouldn’t have had to do this.”

 

“It’s not life changing,” Lay said, and he gave an easy shrug. “Yiru and I are friends, actually, and we get along quite well. It’s a good match for our families, and we’re complimentary people. Actually, she’s going to be waiting for you in China when you get off the plane.”

 

It was then that Lay turned his phone fully to Sehun and showed him a picture of young and beautiful woman. “This is her?” Sehun asked.

 

Lay nodded. “This is Yiru. She’ll take care of you once you arrive. She’ll make sure you get to Luhan, make contact, and get him successfully to the airport. My parents will do the rest. You shouldn’t have any problem getting on a plane, but you have to be the one to get there with Luhan. That’s on you. Got it?

 

Sehun felt a little slack jawed. “That’s amazing, Lay. Holy .”

 

“Sehun,” Lay said, letting him get one last look at the picture. “Luhan’s parents aren’t going to make this easy on you. Yiru will do all she can to make sure that you get in contact with Luhan, but his parents are going to be a roadblock. Try not to cause any international incidents over this, okay?”

 

“No promises,” Sehun said, but for the first time his smile felt real. His chance at getting Luhan back, felt real.

 

Before Sehun got on the plane Xiumin told him, “If I could go with you, I would. My passport renewal hasn’t come through yet, and we can’t afford to wait.”

 

“It’s okay,” Sehun said, shrugging his bag up a little higher. His plane hadn’t started boarding yet, and he had a couple of minutes to spare. “Lay’s … significant other … is going to help me.”

 

“I should be there,” Xiumin said. “I should be helping you, not some stranger that doesn’t have any vested interest in Luhan or even know him.”

 

Sehun said, “I really don’t care who helps me. I just want to get Luhan out of there.”

 

Just as he turend to go, boarding pass in hand, Xiumin pulled at him again. “There’s one other thing.”

 

“What else could there be?” Sehun asked exasperatedly.

 

“On the phone,” Xiumin said, eyes narrowing. “Luhan mentioned someone other than his parets. He mentioned Wei.”

 

“Who’s Wei?”

 

Xiumin clarified, “Wu Guanwei. Luhan told me about him once. His parents and Luhan’s parents are both in the medical field. Luhan’s parents are in the technology manufacturing realm, and Wei’s are hospital chair holders. Luhan told me part of the reason he left China at the first chance he got was because he was scared that his parents were going to push for what Lay’s have.”

 

Sehun froze. “An arranged marriage? Luhan thought his parents were going to try and push him to get married to this Wei guy?”

 

“Luhan thought so,” Xiumin nodded. “So if Luhan’s parents are up to something right now, and I think it’s safe to say they are, Wu Guanwei might be involved. I don’t know who he is, or what kind of person he is, but we both know Luhan is above attractive, smart, charming, and the kind of man anyone could fall in love with. Be prepared for that just in case.”

 

Sehun’s flight was announced as he nodded and told Xiumin, “I’ll be back soon, and with Luhan. Hold the fort down.”

 

Xiumin surprised him then by reaching out and shaking his hand firmly. And then by saying, “You’re a better man than I ever wanted to give you credit for, Sehun. When you get back, do you want to try and give this friendship thing another go?”

 

Sehun shook his hand firmly. “That sounds great to me. And hey, Luhan is going to be thrilled to finally get what he always wanted from us.”

 

“Go get him,” Xiumin said by way of parting.

 

Sehun had never been more determined in his life.

 

And when he stepped foot onto Chinese soil, a place that he’d never been before, that determination was still with him. He spotted Yiru easily in the crowd and shuffled his way over to her, the flying having left him a little achy.

 

“Fah Yiru?” Sehun asked, giving her a respectful half bow.

 

She returned the bow to him easily and said, “Oh Sehun. I’m here to help you. Yixing explained everything.”

 

Unsure, Sehun asked, “Yixing?”

 

She gave him a kind smile. “Lay.”

 

“Oh,” Sehun eased out. Then he took a deep, steadying breath and said, “He told you that Luhan is the most important person to me on this planet right now? And that he’s pregnant with my child?”

 

She gestured for him to follow her and said, “He did. Don’t worry. I’ve already located him at his family home west of Beijing, and I swear to you that I will help you bring him here to return to Korea.”

 

“Okay,” Sehun said, nodding. “Take me to where he is.”