Chapter Ten: Luhan

Lay Your Heart Next To Mine (I feel so alive)

“If you need me to come and rescue you, you just give the word and I can be there in fifteen minutes.”

Luhan smothered a laugh and replied, “Aren’t you supposed to be in a meeting right now? A big pitch to Apple? A rebranding proposal for their Asian market?”

Sehun’s reply was prompt as he said, “It’s due to start any second, but I’m prepared. Don’t worry. However, my offer remains. If you need rescuing, just say the word.” Then, just when Luhan thought he was done, Sehun added, “I can’t believe you remembered me telling you about the meeting.”

Luahn scoffed, “I actually read your e-mail replies.” Suspiciously, he accused, “Do you just skim mine?”

“No way!”

Across the baby boutique Kai, one of Sehun’s friends, held up a bright pink romper for his approval.

Making a face, Luhan shook his head. He’d been steadily building a wardrobe for his baby over the past few months, but there was a distinctly overwhelming amount of pink that Luhan was now trying to steer away from.


“How are things going?”

Luhan balanced the phone between his shoulder and ear as he spied a particularly cute onesie. “Better than expected, honestly. But neither did I think it was going to be a train wreck. You have exceptionally good taste in friends. We share that in common.”

It was completely mind blowing how the past few weeks had gone for Luhan. Not only had Chen become a welcomed and frequent visitor to the coffee shop, but each and every time he came he brought more friends with him. Luhan did his best to mingle his own friends into Sehun’s, trying to seem as nonchalant about it as possible, and to his astonishment, it had all gone rather smoothly.

Luhan had expected at least a little … uncomfortable awkwardness from the people that Sehun confided had helped him through the worst moment of his life. After all, they’d all been friends with Sehun’s husband. And to an outsider, or someone who didn’t fully comprehend the situation, it very well might look like Luhan was trying to fit into a spot that wasn’t meant to be refilled.

But Chen had never been anything but nice and friendly to him. Kai was patient and generous. Suho continued to be his same supportive self while Chanyeol, the friend that Sehun worked with, had welcomed Luhan with a bright smile and a tight hug that was most certainly unexpected.

If there was any resistance, and understandably so, it came from Baekhyun. But Luhan absolutely remembered how Sehun had said, “Baekhyun and Jae grew up together. They were best friends since kindergarten. When I wanted to marry Jae, I had to get Baekhyun’s permission, on top of Suho’s. If Baekhyun is a little difficult, it isn’t because he’s a mean person. He just blames me for Jae’s death, even if he’s never said so, and he might take that out on you.”

Luhan had wanted so desperately to know what Sehun meant by that. But he hadn’t. Etched into Luhan’s mind was the one condition Sehun had for him when they’d made their agreement to try and be good co-parents. Luhan couldn’t ask about Jae. He couldn’t pry or even be curious. He couldn’t, or he’d risk Sehun shutting himself away.

It was probably a miracle that Sehun mentioned Jae every once in a while.

Worse was the fact that Luhan was curious. He did want to know. And it was starting to eat away at him.

“No fistfights over who gets to buy booties?”

Luhan’s eyes drifted over to Kai who was now shifting through a shelf of baby sized rain coats that Luhan most certainly didn’t think his daughter would need for a long time. Pressed shoulder to shoulder with him was Tao who was bouncing a little happily as he said something that Kai nodded along to. Further back Suho was comparing features on a few bassinets and Luhan didn’t have the heart to go over there and tell him that Kris had already offered to make that purchase.

“I think they’re all going to buy a pair,” Luhan laughed out.

They made a weird group, with few of them actually friends just yet, but so far there hadn’t been any hang ups. Suho had been quite forceful in paying for the shopping trip that Luhan had to admit he still needed, and Kai had gotten along splendidly with both Tao, and Lay who was just now deciding between the two sets of baby sleepers in his hands.

“Well, you let Suho take care of the bill, okay?”

Luhan frowned and reminded, “I don’t need your brother-in-law to buy all of our baby things.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Sehun said evenly, then Luhan could hear him say muffled, “Chanyeol, I’m coming. Just give me five more minutes. They’re not even ready for us yet.”

“Do you need to go?” Luhan asked, passing by racks of baby clothes and shoes. He tried not to be distracted by the upcoming weekend. On Saturday he and Sehun had the first ultrasound they were going to go to together, and on Sunday all of their friends were supposed to convene at a nearby hot spot for lunch. It would be the first time Luhan had to spend more than five minutes with Baekhyun who’d given his stomach a long, hard look the one time they’d met, then said nothing after introductions. But it also meant Sehun and Xiumin were going to be the same space for a prolonged amount of time. If anything started between them for any reason, sides would be taken and it would be a terrible, embarrassing mess.

The whole thing made Luhan feel a little nauseas, at least until he remembered that if it went positively, they’d all be gaining new friends and strengthening the system of support that the baby would have.

That, in Luhan’s opinion, was worth the risk.

“In a second,” Sehun said. “But I mean it, let Suho buy you things. It’s not that I think you and I can’t handle anything the baby needs, but Suho’s got more money than he knows what to do with. He doesn’t have a partner or any kids, no siblings now, and nothing to spend his money on. He doesn’t vacation, doesn’t buy things for himself, and I wouldn’t be surprised if his credit card has spider webs on it. The fact that he told me he was excited to buy baby things is pretty amazing.”

“Suho … has a lot of money?”

Luhan supposed Suho was exceptionally well dressed. He was currently in a casual but still expensive looking suit, with a fancy watch on one wrist and shoes that shined when he walked into the light. And when Luhan thought back to all the others times he’d seen Suho, the man had always looked sharp and well dressed as well. Suho dove an expensive car, too. He probably lived in a huge house.

Sehun replied, “Suho’s a workaholic. He clawed his way up the business ladder through sheer work ethic, and that’s why he’s in such a good position monetarily. But like I said, he doesn’t have anyone to spend that money on, and I certainly don’t need him to buy things for me. So just let him? It’ll make him feel better.”

“You should get Suho a girlfriend. Or boyfriend.”

Sehun laughed. “I’ll just pick one up on the way home from work.”

“Luhan!” Suho called out. “Come look at these. I want you to help me decide before I buy one.”

“I’ve got to go,” Luhan said, “and I think you do too.”

“Hey, wait,” Sehun said, even though Luhan could very clearly hear Chanyeol in the background complaining about the time. “I just want you to know I wanted to be there.”

The smile that broke across Luhan’s face felt foolish a moment later, but he couldn’t fight it away. “You don’t have to tell me things like that. I know you wanted to be here today. But we’ll go another day. There’s still plenty of time left before the baby comes.”

Sehun sounded bashful as he replied, “I just want to make sure you know that I don’t want you to think you have to go and do all this on your own. I want to be involved, even with the shopping thing.”

It was hard for Luhan to believe that Sehun had come so far, but the progress had been downright amazing when he thought about it. Sehun wasn’t just involved now, he was a willing participant. There were still lines left uncrossed, subjects they couldn’t talk about without causing fights or discord, but for the most part, they were functioning well together as potential parents. Sehun was becoming more affectionate with the idea of their daughter, and Luhan was starting to see a friend in Sehun.

Once more, Luan repeated, “We’ll go shopping together later. But really, I’ve got to go. I have to go talk your brother-in-law out of buy an overpriced bassinet. I’ve already got one. Kris is getting it for me.”

A little distant, Sehun said, “Let him get one anyway. I’ll put it in my house. Okay, I’ll talk to you later.”

As the line clicked over the words registered in Luhan making him feel a little hollow.

Sehun’s house.

Sehun had his own home, separate from Luhan. That meant two nurseries. Two bassinets. What it really meant was that Luhan was going to cart the baby back and forth from his place to Sehun’s, and he’d have to go home without her at times.

It had been so easy to forget about that with how well he and Sehun had been getting along. But they weren’t in a relationship. They weren’t even living in the same house. Luhan wasn’t going to be able to wake up every morning and see his daughter, not if he didn’t want to rob Sehun of the same thing. And wasn’t this what he’d wanted in the first place? For Sehun to be a father to their daughter? Luhan couldn’t expect Sehun not to want partial custody, or at least visitation rights.

“Luhan?” Suho touched Luhan’s elbow and repeated his name. “Are you okay?”

“Just thinking,” Luhan said, shaking his head a little.

He tried to put his worries to the back of his mind for at least a while longer. There was still a whole trimester to go before he needed to worry about where their baby slept.

“Are you feeling okay?” Suho asked, and Luhan tried not to feel too embarrassed as all eyes turned to him.

“I’m perfectly fine, Suho. You wanted to show me something?”

In the end Luhan still felt uncomfortable with the money that Suho was prepared to spend on the bassinet that would likely end up in Sehun’s house, but it was lovely all the same. In nice, neutral colors, the bright wooden frame was something that radiated femininity without being overbearingly so. Luhan kind of loved it, no matter how much he appreciated the one that Kris had showed him he was getting the baby for Luhan’s home.

As they were making their purchases, Luhan’s stomach rumbling in a way that indicated the baby was just as hungry as he was, Tao held up something yellow and frilly that against all odds, Luhan actually found adorable. “You want to get that too?” Luhan asked. His friends had certainly noticed that Suho was paying for everything.

Once more there was pressure on Luhan’s elbow, but this time it was much more severe.

“Suho?” Luhan asked, a little startled by the look on his face.

“Not yellow, okay?” Suho even looked pale as he said, “I’ll explain everything to you later, but it’s best if you steer clear of that color.” His eyes jetted over to a nearby rack of decorative ribbons that now Lay was examining with Tao. “And no ribbons, either.”

As their items were being rung up, Luhan waved off Tao and said quietly to Suho, “This has to do with Jae, doesn’t it? Or with …”

Suho gave a sharp nod. “I promise, I’ll explain later, but trust me on this. Just … not yellow. I don’t think Sehun would like it very much, and god knows my brother-in-law isn’t the best at communicating why he feels certain ways about things.”

Luhan leaned over to Lay and said, “We’ll skip the ribbons, okay?”

Lay gave a shrug and Suho seemed to breathe out some relief.

Lunch was taken as an American style restaurant that was quite a drive to get to, but worth every bit of effort. Luhan rubbed his stomach contently after the meal was finished and thought the only thing that would have made the moment better was if Sehun was there to share it.

And it was with every bit of his heart that Luhan told Suho later as he dropped Luhan and Lay off at the coffee shop building, “I really appreciated today, Suho. Thank you for buying the things you did, but more so for helping make sure my friends and your friends grow closer.”

Lay was waiting patiently for Luhan outside the car with the bags of items when Suho put his hand over Luhan’s and said, “You’re family now, Luhan. Maybe it happened unconventionally, and maybe it’s going to be one hell of a story to tell your daughter when she’s old enough to understand, but make no mistake, you are family. And family looks out for family. Got it?”

Luhan nodded happily. “I’ve got it. See you later.”

“Come on,” Lay said when Luhan was to his side. “I’ll help you carry all this up to your apartment. But next time we’re making Tao come all the way back with us. If that kid wants to eat like a mule, he should have to carry things like one.”

Luhan laughed and took a couple of the bags. “You can be the one to tell him that, okay?”

Luhan, a little exhausted from all the shopping, and with his ankles hurting already despite the afternoon hour, left most of his purchases in the foyer and living room. He’d put them away later that night, but he wanted to relax for a moment, and breathe a sigh of relief that Kai and Tao looked to be fast friends, and Lay and Suho shared a great deal of interest that kept them in a friendly mood.

Waiting for him in his mail slot was another letter from his parents, this one joining the first in the trash, and then Luhan was left thinking of how generous and kind Suho was, and how hard Sehun was trying.

Across the living room, in a corner draped with sheets to protect the walls and the floor, Luhan spied a blank stretch of canvas that he’d never gotten around to filling. Now he spent all of his creative efforts on sketching nursery designs and painting out murals. It had been quite a while since he’d painted something for himself, and he’d even just cleared out the last of his work to the coffee shop, hoping for a buyer.

But hadn’t he promised Sehun a commissioned work? And the best way Luhan knew how to repay Suho was with something as individually crafted as a painting. Suho looked the type to appreciate art, even if he didn’t understand it. So there were two paintings on the horizon for him, and now as was good a time as ever to start the first.

Luhan rolled himself up to his feet and reached for his phone, snapping a shot of the white canvass. He typed out a quick message to Sehun’s e-mail, sent it off, and then went in search of his painting smock.

As the first color splashed up onto the canvass, Luhan’s fingers curling around a thin paintbrush, he felt the spark of inspiration inside him take off like kindle to a fire.

He’d never been able to manufacture inspiration. He’d gone to school with plenty of other art students who could force themselves to be creative. But for Luhan, even if it meant waiting an almost unbearable amount of time, he couldn’t force himself to paint without feeling an emotional compulsion to do so. Not if he was painting in his preferred medium, and excluding the work he did to pay his bills.

Once he’d painted for almost two days straight, going through entire cans of paint, making himself sick from the fumes and producing a masterpiece that had been his junior graduation project. And then he’d gone months at a time without painting anything, frustrating himself and his professors, unable to do anything but wait and hope.

But now, as Luhan dragged his brush through a glob of blue, swirling it with the green, smearing it with his thumb and then feeling the curl of pleasure in his chest when he realized the combination was so utterly Sehun, he could tell this was more than just a creative spark.

He was about to make something defining.

As he typically did when he painted, Luhan lost complete awareness of anything and everything around him. Nothing seemed to matter as the colors consumed him, and he wasn’t even aware of the passage of time until there was a steady thumping on his door.

When he opened it, loathed to drag himself away from his easel, Xiumin was on the other side with a knowing look. “You forgot I was coming over, didn’t you? You’re supposed to help me study for an upcoming practical exam.”

Luhan looked at him puzzled. “What?”

Xiumin sighed and brushed past Luhan and said, “But you know I’ll forgive you, especially if you’ve been painting.”

Shutting the door, Luhan pinched the bridge of his nose, tracking paint to his skin. “I did forget. I’m sorry.”

Xiumin shrugged good naturedly. “I’ve known you long enough by now, Luhan, to know that you don’t just forget things for no reason. And it’s been a while since I’ve seen you paint--not since before graduation. We can hang out later if you want to get back to it. I don’t mind.”

Luhan’s best friend absolutely did look like it wasn’t a problem, only Luhan could feel his inspiration slipping away with each passing moment. The interruption had completely disrupted his creative flow and there’d be no getting it back at the moment. He could try again later, but for now it was a lost cause.


“I’m done for tonight,” Luhan said, realizing for the first time how achy his back was, and how swollen his ankles had gotten.

“Let me help you,” Xiumin, pulling the smock over Luhan’s head and leading him towards the sink to wash his hands.

Luhan looked back to the now painted canvas and was more than a little shocked with how it had come out. Because there were more blues and greens that he usually used, and darker colors that Luhan shied away from typically. But it was beautiful and easily his best work, even better than his senior project. It was perfect for Sehun, and maybe Xiumin’s interruption had been a godsend, because Luhan couldn’t imagine adding a single thing more.

Lifting the tap for the hot water, Xiuminr remarked, “So you’ve been painting. What’s the reason for it?’

Luhan hesitated. It wasn’t like he could just tell Xiumin that he’d been thinking of Sehun and his extending family when the inspiration had come to him. Xiumin was especially sensitive to the subject of Sehun right now.

But never before had Luhan hesitated to tell Xiumin anything, and he hated now that he was afraid to do so.

So instead he lathered his arms up to his elbows, working the paint off and nodded towards the bags of clothing and accessories that were still spread out through the small foyer. “Shopping excursion today. I guess that did it.”

With a rag ready for Luhan to dry his hands on, Xiumin nodded. “Whatever works, I guess. What poor soul did you drag with you this time? Tao? I bet he tried to make you buy frilly things from start to finish.”

“Ah, no,” Luhan steadied himself. “I went with Suho, and one of Sehun’s friends. Well, Lay and Tao were there, but Suho treated us to the shopping and lunch.”

Confused, Xiumin asked, “You went with Sehun’s friends?”

“And ours, too.” Luhan tossed the towel towards the laundry and moved quickly to start putting his brushes and paints away. It also gave him a good excuse to put his back to Xiumin and not see his face.

Unfortunately, he could imagine what it looked like when Xiumin asked, “Why would you go with them?”

Luhan capped a paint can. “Because Suho offered? Because he’s a nice person.”

“But he’s not …a friend.”

Luhan would have bet his entire collection of paints and brushes that Xiumin meant to say family.

“I think we are friends,” Luhan said. “He didn’t seem like he was there out of any kind of obligation to Sehun or anyone else, and we get along really well. Xiumin, I’m not trying to replace any of our friends with Sehun’s, if that’s what you’re worried about. That’s never going to happen.”

Xiumin scoffed. “As if I thought that would even be an option. I’m more worried about what’s going to happen to your new friends when it happens.”

“When what happens?”

Xiumin crossed his arms over his chest. “When Sehun goes back to being irresponsible and ditches out on you. Are you supposed to just stay friends with those people? Will they take his side? Probably.”

Luhan felt his hands shake at the sudden idea and clamped down on them right away. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. Sehun is not going to leave.”

“Because he was on board from the start? And accepted his impending fatherhood with the same grace that you did?”

Prickling, Luhan snapped, “It was different for Sehun and I, for reasons that are not your business. All you need to know is that Sehun is not going to just decide he doesn’t want to do this.”

Xiumin pressed, “You’re sure? You’re just going to take his word for it?”

Luhan shot back, “I’m taking his actions right now as proof. A few months ago he wouldn’t even acknowledge that there was a baby. Now he wants to be a part of her life, and he’s coming to doctor appointments and he isn’t trying to hide me away like a dirty little secret.”

There was such anger on Xiumin’s face, the likes of which Luhan had never seen when he shouted back, “Anyone can show up for a few doctor appointments. I’m talking about him being there when there are midnight feedings, and dirty diapers that look like the trenches of world war one just exploded! I’m talking about nursing a baby who’s caught a cold, and sacrificing for the baby. You can’t honestly tell me you’re one hundred percent sure he’ll do that, because it’ll be a lie if you do. You’ll be luck if he doesn’t hire a nanny when it’s time for his weekend visits!”

Luhan chucked a paintbrush, a particularly large one, at Xiumin. “Shut up! You don’t know anything. You don’t know Sehun!”

“Neither do you!” Xiumin returned. “You think having lunch with him a few times means you can trust him with your baby?”

Luhan demanded, “Why are you coming at me like this? Ever since Sehun came into the picture and started taking responsibility you’ve been nothing but pissy and angry and a pain in the !”

Xiumin bent down for the brush and threw it back at Luhan, though it was much softer than how Luhan had tossed it. “So I’m a pain in the when I’m driving you around and buying you things and going with you to the doctor’s where I hold your hand and tell you a million times that you’re strong and you can do this?”

Luhan pulled in long, even breaths. “Have I ever seemed ungrateful? Have I ever said to you that you are not my best friend? You prove that distinction over and over with no room for argument. Except for now. Now, I’m not so sure. These aren’t the things a best friend says.”

“No?” Xiumin wondered. “Because if I don’t say them you’re going to go on thinking that Sehun is this amazing guy. You’re going to give everything to him, and then when he breaks your trust, I’m going to be left to pick up the pieces. You think I want that for you or for her?”

“I don’t think you’re hearing me,” Luhan said softly, “when I tell you that you don’t know anything about Sehun. You know nothing.”

Instantaneously, Xiumin moved to his side. “I know everything you do.”

Luhan froze. “What?”

Xiumin sighed loudly. “I looked into who Oh Sehun is. I know all about Jaehyuk and their daughter and what kind of person Sehun is. He’s not stable enough to be a father. He doesn’t have his head on straight no matter how well he’s faking it. He needs therapy. He needs time to heal. He doesn’t need to try and be there for you. You have me and you have the others. You should let him go and get the help he needs. He’s not right for you, Luhan.”

Sehun’s words were ringing in Luhan’s head all of the sudden. He’d said that Xiumin didn’t look at him like just a friend. Sehun had been convinced there was something more. Luhan had brushed the idea off immediately, but now …

Voice wavering like he might be going through a second puberty Luhan, had to ask, “Are you jealous?”

Xiumin startled.

“Are you?” Luhan asked again. “Are you jealous that I have so much trust and faith in Sehun right now? Are you jealous that I slept with him when I’ve never slept with you? Or are you just jealous that this baby is his and not yours?”

Red in the face, Xiumin did not respond.

“Sehun thinks you have feelings for me,” Luhan said, the words painful to get out. He could see the hurt reflecting on Xiumin’s face, and it was all Luhan’s fault. “I told him he was crazy and I was angry with him over it. But now I think he might have been right.”

Xiumin, who was shorter even if he was bulkier, leaned in close to Luhan. He was so close that Luhan knew what kind of cologne he was wearing and just how long ago he’d put it on.

With their noses inches apart, Xiumin said, “My distrust and dislike of the guy who got you pregnant because you look like his dead husband, and then decided to ditch you when it was too difficult to handle, has nothing to do with whatever I might feel for you.”

“So you’re saying you do?”

There wasn’t a kind of reply possible that Luhan thought could fix the situation. Especially not when Xiumin’s hand came up hot and heavy to the back of Luhan’s neck and pulled him down into a searing kiss.

To be truthful, Luhan had kissed Xiumin before. There had been a couple of drunken kisses the first year that Luhan had been at the university, but Xiumin had laughed them off, and back then Luhan had had his eye on Kris. Those kisses, ones that Luhan barely remembered, hadn’t contained any heat or passion, and were the product of soju and normal hormones. They hadn’t meant anything.

This kiss, however, Luhan realized, meant something. He could feel it in the way Xiumin kissed him firmly, but without rush, lips working against Luhan’s at a steady pace. And god help him if the kiss wasn’t the toe curling kind. Xiumin’s hand tangled up in Luhan’s short hair and he tilted his head even further, the barest hint of tongue making itself known.

It took every bit of Luhan’s self control to tear himself away from Xiumin. Then, breathing hard, he took two full steps backward and cradled his stomach where the baby was kicking furiously.

“Does that answer your question?” Xiumin demanded.

“Xiumin …” Luhan said, mouth still on fire from the kiss.

The last time Luhan had been properly kissed it had been by Sehun, but those kisses had been sloppy and drunken.

This time, Luhan corrected, “Minseok.”

“I don’t want you to fall in love with that ,” Xiumin said furiously. “He doesn’t deserve the kind of amazing person that you are. Just once I want you to look in my direction and know that I am in love with you. I will support you. I’ll love that baby. I’ll be everything you need me to. I’m right here, you just have to accept me.”

Of all the things Luhan wanted in his life, support and love were the two most important. And he’d thought he’d found them with Xiumin and their other friends, without any necessary romantic attachment. In fact, the lack of romantic attachment had kind of been nice. Never before, not in China, had he had friends who were so honest and caring without expecting something in return.

Now Xiumin was offering him all of that love and support with a romantic attachment, and the kind that wasn’t liable to run away any time soon. The steady, lifelong kind of love and support that Luhan had always desperately craved.

There was only one problem.

Luhan locked his legs and held his ground. “I love you very much, Xiumin. You should never doubt that. But I’m not … I’m not in love with you.”

“You could be.”

Luhan forced a small smile. “I think if it was going to happen, it already would have.”

Luhan could see Xiumin’s hands balling into fists as he demanded, “Is it him? Sehun? Are you in love with him?”

There was some relief in being able to say right away, “No. I’m not in love with Sehun.” There was something there, something that he barely let himself admit to, but it wasn’t love. Not yet. It was affection, certainly, but Luhan was scared to think of what more it could be. It would be the worst kind of pain if he ended up falling in love with Sehun, knowing that Sehun would never be able to return that kind of love.

It would be like whatever Xiumin was feeling now.

Xiumin asked, “But if this was him standing in front of you, confessing to be in love with you--”

“Don’t,” Luhan broke in. “Don’t do this to yourself. Don’t ask that. Don’t imagine it.”

When Xiumin’s head dipped down, his bangs hiding his face from Luhan, Luhan wasn’t sure what to think. He wasn’t sure what to do or how to handle the situation.

“Then no?”

Sadly, Luhan said, “No.”

Xiumin spun on heel and it was just slow enough that Luhan could see the tears in his eyes. Then Xiumin was tearing through the apartment, tripping over the paint sheets, knocking things over as he tried to stop his fall, and lunging towards the front door. He was through it a half second later, feet thundering down the stairs.

Luhan felt his own eyes prickle and soon enough he was wiping at tears, terrified that he’d just ruined the best friendship he’d ever had.

But what could he have done? He wasn’t in love with Xiumin. He didn’t have those kinds of feelings for him. And like how inspiration came with his art, Luhan didn’t think he could manufacture love. It was either there, or it wasn’t.

Luhan was rubbing furiously at his eyes with a soft voice came from the doorway, asking, “Did you and Xiumin fight?”

Luhan turned towards the open front door and sighed. “Lay, can I just have some privacy? Some time alone?”

“If that’s what you want,” Lay said easily enough, preparing to step back. Sometimes Luhan took for granted the kind of amazing person Lay was.

“Wait!” Luhan called out, making his way through the trail of destruction Xiumin had left. He bent down slowly for the upturned trash can.

“Hey, let me get that,” Lay said, darting to his side and kneeling down and starting to pick up the trash. “I’ll go right after this, okay?”

Luhan rubbed soothingly at his stomach. “I’m sorry, Lay. I shouldn’t have been rude just then. Xiumin and I did fight.”

“That doesn’t happen all too often,” Lay observed. “Rarely, in fact.”

Luhan’s eyebrows rose. “You’re right.” Then he had to know if he was the only blind person. “Lay, did you know that Xiumin …that he … how much did you hear? Am I …”

“Tao is nineteen,” Lay said, surprising Luhan from where he was still on the floor. “Which means he pretty much can’t see past the end of his nose. He’s got a good heart, but it’s harder for him than the rest of us to see what’s really going on. So yes, to answer your question, I heard the argument you two had, and yes, Kris and I already knew. Next to Tao who is still essentially a child, the rest of us knew.”

Luhan shuffled over to the sofa and threw himself down onto it, closing his eyes. “Then I’m the only idiot, baring a person who is completely lacking observation skills, that didn’t know my best friend was in love with me.”

“It’s not as if he said anything about it to you.”

“But you noticed!” Luhan cut out roughly. “You knew and so did Kris. How was I the only one who didn’t?”

Lay stood slowly, then followed after Luhan to the living room. He offered gently, “Because you’re the party in question? Luhan, you didn’t see Xiumin’s feelings for you because you weren’t looking for them.”

Luhan felt Lay lift his legs onto his lap and start rubbing his ankles soothingly. It felt like heaven.

“Sehun knew. He saw right away. He only met Xiumin once and he knew.”

“That’s because Sehun’s got feelings for you himself.”

Luhan’s eyes jerked open. “What?”

Lay’s hands kept a steady pressure on Luhan’s ankles. “Now I don’t for a second think he realizes he has those feelings for you, and he certainly isn’t ready for them. But they’re there. They’re waiting. And if you’re honest with yourself, you feel something back.”

Luhan frowned. “Sehun and I are having a baby together. We definitely have feelings for each other, but it’s not love.”

Lay made a low sound. “Anyway, just give Xiumin some time. He needs to blow off steam, let go of his hurt, and then calm down. He’ll come back around. You mean too much to him to let go completely.”

“But I can’t return his feelings,” Luhan replied. “I don’t feel the way about him that he feels about me.”

Lay gave his ankles a last squeeze and stood, settling Luhan’s feet back down on the soft sofa. “That’s something that’s going to sting with him for a long time, but I promise you, the hurt will fade. He’ll settle for just being friends after some time.”

“You think so?” Luhan called after him.

Lay laughed, “It’s going to be unbearably awkward for a while, but it will pass. Trust me.” Before Lay left completely, he passed by the righted trash can and said, “I pulled a letter out of there for you, Luhan. I think you tossed it by mistake. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

From his position on the sofa Luhan could see the letter from his parents sitting on the bar top. Its return was mocking him. Luhan was sure of it.

Then Luhan was reminded of the look of hurt on Xiumin’s face when Luhan had denied him.

Sinking into the sofa little, Luhan felt wracked with guilt. What if Lay was wrong? What if Xiumin never came back to him?

Or worse, what if Xiumin had been even the tiniest bit right about Sehun?