Ten

If It Was Easy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#10

 

Sehun sighed for the nth time that night as he stared at his phone wondering why Yejin was not answering his calls. He decided to put his phone away and wait until she called him back so he put his phone aside.

‘Still not picking up?’

Sehun turned to the voice and nodded his head. ‘She’s probably busy with Hani or something.’

Mrs Oh nodded. ‘Come, let’s eat.’ She gestured to the table with a few of Sehun’s favourite foods on them that had him salivating just from the sight of it.

Sehun sat down and quickly dug into his food and moaned at how delicious it was. ‘I missed your cooking, mom.’

Mrs Oh smiled and patted his cheeks. ‘Eat up.’

The table was silent as they both enjoyed their dinner and as Sehun had just sat back down with his second bowl of rice, Mrs Oh asked him, ‘Has Yejin ever cooked for you like this before?’

Sehun looked up at his mom and raised an eyebrow but Mrs Oh was just silently eating her food.

‘She does,’ Sehun nodded. ‘But, most of the time we usually just eat out since we’re busy with work and get tired by the end of the day.’

Mrs Oh sighed. ‘That shouldn’t be a reason.’

Sehun stared at his mom and set his spoon down at her words. ‘Mom…’

‘I’m just saying, sweetheart.’ She shrugged and smiled at him. ‘She should know how to juggle you and work at the same time. I just want the best for you.’

‘She knows how to.’ Sehun stated with a roll of his eyes. ‘And she is the best, mom. Why do you keep doing this? You said you liked her.’

‘I do!’ She replied. ‘Of course I do! Yejin is… nice.’

Sehun raised an eyebrow. ‘Nice?’

Mrs Oh sighed. ‘Okay, she’s perfect. She is and I love her.’ Sehun stared at her questioningly. ‘I do, okay? But, honey, are you sure?’

‘Oh my god, mom.’ Sehun leaned his head back and pinched the bridge of his nose. ‘Stop, okay? You’ve asked me this so many times and my answer has always been the same and it’s not going to change!’

‘I’m sorry, Sehun.’ Mrs Oh said quietly. ‘You’re my only child and I feel like you’re still too young to bear this amount of responsibilities on your shoulders.’

‘I’m 27, mom.’

‘I know that.’ She sighed. ‘And please don’t get me wrong. I do adore Yejin, so much. But, don’t you think you’re rushing this a little?’

‘Rushing what?’ Sehun’s eyebrows furrowed.

‘This!’ Mrs Oh reached her hand out and grabbed Sehun’s hand that was on the table. ‘You still have a long way to go, do you really want to get married now?’

‘Mom,’ Sehun started, his voice low and in a calm manner that it was almost scary. ‘I love Yejin, and we’re going to get married whether you like it or not. The wedding’s this weekend and it’s not going to change. Please, just understand that.’ He said before pushing the chair back and getting up from his seat.

‘Honey, I’m sorry. At least, finish your dinner.’

Sehun sighed before turning back to her. ‘I think I’m full. I’m going in my room. Thanks for dinner, mom.’

Mrs Oh watched as her son disappeared into his room and she sighed to herself as she set her own spoon aside, clearly lost all the appetite she just had earlier on.

 

‘So, what are you going to do?’

Sehun leaned back comfortably onto his bed and ran his hand through his hair frustratedly after the argument he just had with his mom. ‘I’m not going to do anything, of course. We’re still going to get married this weekend.’

‘Good.’ Chanyeol said on the other line. ‘I’ve put in too much work into this for it to not happen.’

Sehun chuckled and shook his head. ‘That’s what you’re worried about?’

‘Do you think it was easy handling that monster of a wedding planner of yours?’ Chanyeol replied. ‘She’s nuts! Wouldn’t stop bothering me for even a second.’

‘That’s because you take things too easily. Of course, she’d go mad.’

Chanyeol was silent for a short second knowing Sehun was right before replying, ‘But, still. Please get married don’t let all the sufferings I went through are all for nothing.’

‘Don’t worry about it. Whatever my mom says won’t change anything.’

‘Your mom’s really confusing, man. What is up with that?’

Sehun sighed and closed his eyes. ‘I don’t know. She’s always been this way every time I brought the wedding up.’

‘Does she not like Yejin or something?’

‘It’s not that,’ Sehun sighed again and sat up on his bed. ‘I’ve seen the way she treats Yejin and I know she really likes her but I don’t know what is it about us getting married that does not bode well with her.’

‘Every single time we talk about this all she says is that I’m too young, or I’m not ready to get married and does that even make sense to you? I’m the one who is getting married, not her.’ Sehun continued.

Chanyeol thought about it for a second. ‘Have you ever really talked to her properly about this?’

‘No,’ Sehun replied. ‘All we end up doing is arguing so I didn’t bother.’

‘Sehun, you gotta talk to her.’ Chanyeol told him. ‘If you don’t, that will put Yejin in a very bad place. She’s going to be your wife and you do not want her to be your mom’s target, do you?’ He waited for Sehun to say something but when the other was being silent, Chanyeol continued. ‘It may be hard and you might lose your patience but you have to do it.’

‘Yeah,’ Sehun nodded to himself and rubbed his eyes. ‘You’re right.’

‘When am I not?’

Sehun rolled his eyes and did not comment on that which made Chanyeol laugh.

‘Just talk to her. Things will work out.’

As Sehun laid in bed that night, he thought about what Chanyeol asked him to do and he knows in his gut that he was right. He has to talk to his mom and set things straight with her because he does not want to bring Yejin into this complicated situation when she’s officially his.

Thinking about Yejin reminded him that Yejin still had not returned any of his calls and he looked at his phone once again to see if he’d missed any notifications but his lock screen came up blank.

He wondered what could Yejin have been doing to not notice his calls and text for the past few hours. As he stared at his phone, he then decided to just send her a text reminding her of their plan for tomorrow and to wish her goodnight.

Sehun fell asleep with a heavy feeling in his heart.

 

The table was silent as they waited for Yejin to show up. Sehun doesn’t know what to say to his mom because he doesn’t want to it to lead to another argument where else Mrs Oh doesn’t want to further upset her son more than she’s already done.

She looked at Sehun, watching him scanned the menu ever since they got here and she knows he was still affected from their conversation last night.

‘Sehun,’ she watched as her son lift his head up to look at her and she reached her hand out and grabbed his hand that was set on top of the table. ‘I’m sorry.’

Sehun stared at her before smiling slightly and nodding his head. ‘It’s okay.’

Mrs Oh sighed. ‘I’m just worried about you, Sehun. I only want the best for you.’

‘I know, mom.’ He replied. ‘I understand where you’re coming from but, I don’t get why you’re so reluctant on letting me get married to Yejin. You said you liked her, and you love her but why are you being this way?’

‘I’m sorry, sweetheart.’ Mrs Oh said. ‘Yes, I admit I am a little reluctant but it’s not because of Yejin.’

‘Then why do you always attack her and question everything that she does?’ Sehun asked.

Mrs Oh sighed again as she looked down at her hands. ‘It has always been just you and me for a long time. And I’ve always took care of you well and thinking that now you’re going to have someone else taking care of you really worries me.’ She explained. ‘Is she going to take care of my son well? Will she feed him delicious homecook meals?’

Sehun’s heart softened at his mom’s words and he found himself grabbing his mom’s hand in both of his, making his mom look up at him with a soft smile on her lips.

‘I may have gone overboard with my worrying and I feel horrible about it…’ she admitted and Sehun squeezed her hand to comfort her.

‘Mom, you don’t have to worry about it.’ Sehun smiled. ‘I’ve been with Yejin for three years and I look fine, don’t I?’

Mrs Oh smiled and nodded her head.

‘And besides, if she’s not that great do you really think I would want to marry her?’ His words made his mom laugh and Sehun laughed along with her. ‘So, just believe in me, okay?’

‘Okay.’ She replied before pulling her hand away from his grasp only to pat a side of his face. ‘You’ve grown so well, Sehun.’

Sehun grinned cheekily and nuzzled his cheek into her hand. ‘I know.’

‘But, Sehun,’ she continued. ‘Getting married is a really huge decision. And I want you to really be sure about this, okay? I do support you and whatever your decision is, but please just be sure about it. Marriage is not something to be taken lightly.’

Sehun sighed and grab his mom’s hand to give it a squeeze before letting it go. ‘I know. Don’t worry, mom.’

Mrs Oh smiled and nodded her head before turning to look at the menu right in front of her.

‘I’m sorry I’m late!’ Yejin appeared at the table and bowed to Mrs Oh. ‘My mom called me earlier and she wouldn’t stop talking, I’m so sorry.’

Mrs Oh chuckled and shook her head. ‘It’s alright, dear.’

Yejin took a seat next to Sehun and smiled brightly at him. ‘Hey you,’ she said and planted a kiss on his cheek. ‘I’m sorry f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter