Masked // 13

Masked

“Nice job,” Jongin’s friend chuckles.

“Shut up,” Jongin pouts, dabbing at the coffee stain on his shirt with a crumpled tissue. “It's not that bad.”

“At least you don't have another class after this,” his friend shrugs.

Jongin had just finished his finals, walking out of his class with a smile playing on his plush lips as his eyes crinkled into a smile. His friend had greeted him with congratulatory coffee, but his smile quickly contorted into a frown when he realized the lid had not been set properly and coffee tainted his favorite shirt.

“That's not going to work,” his friend laughs as Jongin attempts to wring the coffee from his shirt. “You’re going to be walking around with that stain and run into a really pretty girl or something.”

Jongin elbows his friend in the ribs. It's before he can hiss at his friend that his friend announces his sudden departure.

“I have to get going now,” his friend tells him. “I promised to meet my girlfriend.”

“Alright,” Jongin mumbles, eyes still fixed on the brown splattered against his stomach. “I’ll catch you later.”

It's after his friend leaves that Jongin throws back his head and lets out a sigh, warm summer rays fanning over his dashing features.

To think it's been a year.

It feels like yesterday that Jongin had been spending Christmas cooped up in the apartment because of a stupid fever. Jongin can't even believe that it's already been nearly ten months since his third year of university has started.

His head is spinning with all the things he wants to do now that summer’s at his fingertips, but he realizes, he has to change his shirt before anything else. Jongin makes it out of the campus without being stopped by anyone he knows, rapidly plodding down the sidewalk to his car. He takes only a moment to admire the warm sun and the branches of spindly trees lacing over his head, until he hears a voice.

“Kim Jongin?”

Jongin nearly stumbles, but he manages to whirl around steadily on his heels. He thinks he’s hearing things, until he sees you.

You’re back.

“Hey,” you smile warmly, eyes glinting over Jongin’s lanky figure.

Jongin is suddenly very aware of the coffee stain on his shirt, and a scarlet red dances along his cheeks as he pulls his jacket over the noticeable brown spot.

Jongin’s eyes trace over your figure.

Your hair is a lot shorter than he remembers, and your lips are pulled into a bashful smile. You're garbed in a blouse and pink skirt. The hurt in your eyes is replaced by a mischievous twinkle. Though Jongin hasn't thought about you as much as he’d like to admit, mainly due to the stress of classes, seeing you now brings back a flood of memories in his desolate mind.

He is suddenly reminded of coming across a male named Kyungsoo who had been looking for someone to move in with his friend.

That had been more than a year ago.

“I heard your friend needs a roommate?” Jongin smiled.

“Actually,” the shorter male had told him. “I'm doing this because I need her to open up to people. Do you think you could help?”

“I'd love to,” Jongin had laughed.

Kyungsoo had told Jongin of times when you were once warm and radiated of joy, and it isn't until now that Jongin sees what Kyungsoo had been talking about.

“You haven't changed at all over a year,” you hum.

“You’ve changed a lot,” Jongin splutters. He had been so used to the cold remarks and your reluctant attitude that he couldn't even imagine your true self to be this way. “In a good way, though.”

“Thanks,” you chuckle.

Jongin had always liked you, but he finds your radiant smile and cheery disposition even more charming. Perhaps it's because it’s you and you look comfortable in your own skin. Jongin finally sees who you are under the iron mask you had always worn.

Jongin can't think of anything to ask, so he queries, “How was Japan?”

“About that,” you mumbled. “I actually didn't go to Japan with Sehun.”

It takes long moments for your words to register in his mind.

“You didn't go?” he asks, failing to hide the relief and excitement in his voice. But the small victory of not losing you to Sehun is quickly brushed away as another question comes to mind. “Then where did you stay?”

“I took a break from college and travelled a lot,” you admit meekly, an impish smile marring your lips, something that fascinated Jongin. “I bailed on going to Japan last minute. I went home and spent some time with family. Then I went to Europe and travelled around. Kyungsoo helped me figure out everything else.”

It had been at the airport nearly a year ago, after you sent the message to Jongin.

“We’ll be boarding soon,” Sehun had told you.

Your fingers remained clasped around your phone, your eyes searching the ground for answers. It had been before passengers had even begun to line up that you blurted, “I can't go.”

Sehun had turned to you in surprise, heart fallen as he said, “You’re going back to him.”

You shook your head. “I'm going elsewhere. I think I need to get away from everything, even studying. But you should go.”

“Are you going to be alright?” he asked. Once you nodded, his head fell, but he simply let out a sigh. His hand fell on your shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “I'll trust your decision. I’ll send your luggage back when I get there.”

“Thank you for everything,” you had said, slinging your bag over your shoulder. Though you greeted him farewell, before you left, you turned to tell him, “I don't think what others say about you is true. I hope you know that.”

And a smile had actually graced Sehun’s lips.

The memories slowly dim, and you’re met with Jongin’s gaze once more. His eyes never once leave your smile.

“I know, it was stupid to not study for a year,” you sigh, “but I think I needed some time for myself. I wanted to start off not as a new me but just me. I just needed to get away for a bit.”

Jongin tries to pay attention, but he can't, especially when one important question remains.

“So, this is me,” you smile. “I’ve gotten over the things in the past, and I decided to just live the way I am.”

Jongin’s hands slip unnervingly into the pockets of his jacket as he stammers, “If you’re back, then does that mean we can…”

Your eyes light up as another smile graces your face. A light pink dusts your cheek as you laugh, “I was afraid you forgot about me.”

“I could never forget,” he whispers.

“Do you,” you begin, “do you want to try again?”

Jongin can't help the smile that breaks out on his face as he nods. Though hesitant, Jongin steps forward and pulls you into a warm embrace.

“One more question,” you murmured into his chest.

“Hm?” Jongin hummed into your hair.

“Did you keep the apartment clean while I was gone?”

“And what if I didn't?” Jongin laughs.

You pull away from his embrace to slap him playfully on the arm.

In this moment, the two of you realize you’re standing before one another and looking at your true selves. Jongin may seem high-spirited and cheerful, but you know there's still a bashful, sensitive young boy within in him. You may seem tough at times, but Jongin knows beneath everything, you’re a childlike soul with a soft heart.

Masks could be worn in a game of life and lies.

But no masks could be worn in a game of love.

~~

Note: Finally, the long awaited final chapter of Masked! Thank you so much for loving the story, even though it took me over a year to complete it! Thank you all.