Masked // 12

Masked

Maybe you should have Kyungsoo about going to Japan for a year.

Then you wouldn't have to deal with the male nagging at you.

It’s already been a few weeks since you’ve last seen Jongin, and a lot has happened. Things have passed by in a literal blur, especially when your classes came to an end and the sudden realization hit you the night before Minseok’s graduation that you didn’t have anything to wear. And now, it’s a beautiful summer day, but you’re locked in Kyungsoo’s apartment with the male angrily glaring at you.

“You’re going to Japan?” he hisses.

“I was planning on telling you,” you defend.

“Tell me when? The night before you leave?”

Kyungsoo has always reminded you of a nagging mother, especially during moments like these. His arms are crossed over his chest, his eyebrows furrowed menacingly.

“How did you even find out?” you sigh. You hadn’t told anybody, not even Minseok.

“Jongin told me,” Kyungsoo says. His lips purse into a frown, as he queries, “Jongin said you aren't going alone?”

“I'm going with someone,” you answer vaguely, fingers picking at the hem of your shirt.

He dips an eyebrow, relentlessly glaring at you until you mumble a name.

“Oh Sehun,” you murmur.

“What the hell?”

Kyungsoo’s not really one to swear unless he stubs his toe, so you’re rather surprised.

“I told you about him,” Kyungsoo splutters. “I thought I told you to avoid that guy!”

“There's nothing romantic going on between us,” you say. “He just gave me the offer of going to Japan with him.”

“I would have to be an idiot to think Oh Sehun’s not into you or anything,” Kyungsoo hisses.

You brace yourself for his nagging.

“Why would you agree to that offer?” he scolds. “Didn't I tell you he probably has other motives? What if something happens to you? Nobody is going to be there, and you-”

“Kyungsoo,” you interrupt.

“No,” he sternly insists, before rambling on once more. “You are not going. How could you make such an important decision without even letting me know? Do you even know the guy? Do you know what he’s like?”

“Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo's furrowed eyebrows become unknotted, his anger dissipating as a heavy sigh leaves from between his lips.

“Kyungsoo, I’m not going because Sehun asked me to or whatever,” you say. “I just need to get away from here for a bit. I swear, nothing will happen. And if something does, I’ll call you and come back right away.”

Uncertainty is evident on Kyungsoo's transparent face.

“We’ve been best friends all our lives,” you tell the male. “I know you feel guilty about this whole roommate thing, but I don't blame you. I think I just need time to figure out my life.”

Kyungsoo simply stares.

“I just need you to trust me with this,” you tell him.

Your lips crack into a subtle smile when Kyungsoo gives in.

“I guess you know what you're doing,” Kyungsoo chuckles. He runs a hand through his already messy hair, before asking, “Need help packing?”

“Of course.”

You manage a smile as Kyungsoo leads you to your apartment. You let out a sigh of relief when you step inside and see that Jongin isn't there at the moment.

“Thanks for everything, Kyungsoo.”

“Anything for you, your highness,” Kyungsoo says, as you kick him in the shin.

You would miss him.


 

“I can walk from here,” you tell Kyungsoo.

“You sure?” he asks.

“Yeah, the parking lot here is always busy. You have places to be.”

It's before getting out of the car that you wrap your arms tightly around Kyungsoo.

“It's only a year,” you tell him.

“Tell that to yourself,” Kyungsoo teases. “You’re the one who’s going to miss me.”

“As if,” you scoff.

Though you may joke, you know, you and Kyungsoo are both going to miss the movies and snacks at midnight and the inside jokes that weren't really funny but were secrets between you two.

You exit the car and Kyungsoo does too, lugging your heavy bags from the trunk.

“Call me when you get there,” Kyungsoo chimes. “I may visit myself one day.”

“Alright,” you smile.

“And remember, if that Oh Sehun guy does anything to you, I am going to-”

“Okay, mother,” you sigh.

“See you soon?”

“I’ll see you soon,” you assure, and you can't seem to walk away though Kyungsoo slides back into his car and lumbers down the road to do whatever he does during the day.

This is it.

Your head tilts up, eyes scanning rapidly over the various signs of the airport. People hurriedly jostle each other inside, while you slowly trudge through the doors. Now that it’s really time, you can't seem to leave.

It's once you step inside that you see Sehun. He's quite noticeable, especially when he hovers a few inches above everybody else. His rigid lips pull into a rare and unusual smile when he sees you. He hands you a few papers and takes one of your bags.

“Those are the boarding passes, don't lose them,” he chuckles, before checking in your luggage. It's after a few minutes that Sehun asks, “Are you ready?”

You take in a sharp breath before nodding.

His hand glides along your arm, leading you away from the doors. Your feet are heavy as you try to lug them away. You slowly turn your head back, looking at nothing in particular and simply trying to suppress the longing of home when you haven’t even left.

It’s before you and Sehun can go any farther that you hear a voice shout your name.

You would recognize that voice anywhere.

You whip your head back, something between eagerness and relief causing you to desperately search through the crowd to find the owner of the voice. Something tells you that you’ve been expecting- no, hoping that the male would run to you one last time.

Jongin elbows heavy bags and people aside, until a guard blocks him from going any farther into the airport. He’s given a stern warning that he’s not allowed inside, so he simply calls for you.

“Jongin, go back,” you tell him.

You stop in your tracks, and Sehun turns back as well, eyebrows furrowing as he sees Jongin.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin says once more. His locks are heavily disheveled, and his eyes are fixed on you. “Please don’t leave. Even if you hate me, just don’t leave. You know I can’t do anything without you.”

You want to run to his arms, but you stop yourself. You simply turn away from him and grasp the handle of your bag tightly, letting out a heavy sigh. You can’t go back now.

“Jongin, you were fine without me before, so you’re going to be fine now,” you say coldly. “You don’t need me.”

Jongin’s lips part in surprise at your cold words.

“We need to go,” Sehun calmly says.

You nod.

Jongin calls your name.

But you don’t stop.

Sehun’s arm holds you once more, and Jongin can only watch as you walk away from him.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asks.

“Of course,” you sigh.

Silence rings in Jongin’s ears as people nearly trample his slumped figure to get through. It takes long moments of realization for Jongin to pick himself up and leave the airport because you’re gone.

You’re really gone.

Jongin collapses onto a bench outside the airport. His gaunt knuckles and long fingers tangle into his hair as he tries to stop the guilt and rage that overwhelms his tired figure. I’m so stupid, he thinks. I ed up, and she’s gone.

Jongin wants to scream or kick something, anything to let the anger dissipate. He returns to his senses only when he feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. He whips it out with trembling fingers, eyes scanning rapidly over the messages you’ve left for him.

“One year, Jongin.”

“I’ll be back in one year.”

“Let’s become better people, and maybe if we still like each other then, we could try again.”

~~

Note: Only one chapter left! I'm also planning on doing an epilogue to tie up any lose ends. Feedback is always appreciated, so don't ever be afraid to tell me how you feel about the story! And I hope there isn't too much heartbreak because of this chapter.