Masked // 01

Masked

"I let people know that you're looking for a roommate."

"What?"

Utter disbelief clouds your mind, and your jaw hangs ajar.

Kyungsoo has always been of ideas, and you were oftentimes the victim of his executed creativity and strict practicality.

But this time, he’s gone too far.

"Don't worry, I used my number instead of yours," Kyungsoo says, pushing his round-framed glasses up the bridge of his nose and taking a sip of his bitter coffee. "Once I find someone, I'll send them over here."

Kyungsoo leans against your kitchen counter, humming a song as he reads the newspaper and nonchalantly drinks from the thick ceramic mug in his calloused fingers.

Is he even in his right mind?

"Why would you do such a thing?" you snap. "Kyungsoo, you live in the apartment complex right across the street from mine. I don't need a roommate and I never will."

"Let's be honest," Kyungsoo says. "The only reason you let me in here is because I have an extra key to your apartment. When you're not attending classes, you're alone and shutting people out, and it's not good for you."

Your lips seal into an unamused frown.

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, before remarking, "Besides, I offered to be your roommate that other time but you refused."

Your fixated gaze hardens into somewhat of menacing glower, and a sigh falls past Kyungsoo’s plush lips.

"Don't worry, it won't be that bad."

"Whoever she is, I don-"

"Or he," Kyungsoo interjects.

"What?"

"I don't think gender discrimination is necessary," Kyungsoo shrugs, and you're not sure whether he understands the discomfort of maybe having to live with a reckless twenty-year-old male who you've never met. "That extra room in your apartment will finally have a use, rent will be cheaper, and maybe you'll get to know this person."

"Why are you doing this?"

Kyungsoo's eyes travel  from the black words dancing across pulpy paper to the pain swimming in your liquid eyes. He knows the answer, and you know as well. His lips part slightly, before he speaks.

“I’m doing this for you,” he says. “You used to be bright and talkative and sometimes I really miss your incessant chatter. You used to open up to people, and I’m hoping a roommate can help you with that.”

"Kyungsoo, that was because I trusted people too easily," you say, slightly wincing as painful memories flicker in your mind. "And you're making me do exactly what I can't- trusting people."

"But you trust me."

Kyungsoo is the only person in this world who you could trust.

Your relationship with Kyungsoo is one only time can test, your trust in him proven regularly through his actions and words over the years. He's been by your side for countless years, and you probably would be lost without him.

"That incident with Ch... him," Kyungsoo corrects, "was a year ago. I know you were hurt and you're still hurting, so I want to help you."

Kyungsoo folds the newspaper and tosses it onto the counter, whistling as he places his mug into the sink.

"I didn't comb my hair," Kyungsoo announces, running his fingers through his unruly raven locks. "Is it noticeable?"

"Not really," you respond.

Your words are just like you.

Concise.

Bitter.

Cold.

"Are you going somewhere?" you ask, your voice a robotic, droning monotone.

“Unlike you, I have classes this morning,” Kyungsoo sighs. You hear him grumble under his breath, “The life of a business major.”

You don’t even spare your friend a final side glance as he brushes past you and heads for the door. But he’s able to turn your head by calling your name with such a comforting tone that only Kyungsoo can create.

“Hey,” he calls, and your gaze fixates on the solemnity in his eyes. “Trust me.”

But within moments the solemnity’s gone and a silly smile plays on his lips. With a promise to buy you lunch at noon, he slides out the door, and emptiness fills the apartment once more. Two words encircle your mind, and you can’t help but ponder upon them.

“Trust me.”



 

January 28, 2014

 

“Kyungsoo!”

You shout to the male, who’s sitting on one of the benches sprinkled sporadically around campus with a thick textbook in his lap. You surprise him by clamping onto his shoulders abruptly, and you chuckle as he flinches, causing his glasses to slide off.

“Someone’s exceptionally hyper today,” Kyungsoo comments, ruffling your hair and finding amusement in your actions as you pat your unruly locks down.

“Guess what?” you ask, sliding into the seat next to the male.

“Did you see that handsome guy with the contagious smile and the ears again?” Kyungsoo asks, rolling his eyes.

“Even better,” you say. “We share the some of the same classes!"

"You know, that guy has a name," Kyungsoo teases.

Familiar sparks light up your eyes, and you tug at Kyungsoo's sleeve. "You know him?"

"Based on your description of him, I'm pretty sure I know."

"Tell me," you plead Kyungsoo, cutely sticking out your bottom lip and putting your hands together. "Please, Kyungsoo?"

"His name's Chanyeol."

"Chanyeol?" you repeat.

"Park Chanyeol. He's majoring in astrophysics, and we hang out sometimes."

You've been talking about this dashing male for the past two weeks, and you're absolutely irked that Kyungsoo's decided to tell you just now that he knows this guy.

"I have to head to class now," Kyungsoo announces, standing up from his seat and slinging his bag over his shoulder. "See you later?"

"Kyungsoo, wait!"

But he pretends not to hear and whistles an oddly familiar tune as he slings his bag over his shoulder and bounds down the paved roads of the campus. Deciding that maybe it’s wise to visit the library and catch up on your daily reading during all this free time, you heave a sigh and aimlessly count your footsteps as you plod along the pathways and past the endless display of buildings.

The library comes into view, and you let your body adjust to the warm, quiet atmosphere of the library, a stark contrast to the chilly air accompanied by a stream of constant chatter outside.

“Hey, Minseok,”  you greet the male sitting behind a lengthy desk with a smile. He looks up from the computer screen he’s intently gazing at, and he cracks a smile seeing you.

“Hey,” he says. “Here to study?”

“Yeah,” you sigh. “I have a lot to read.”

He sends you off with a wave, and you’re quite appreciative of the male. He’s a fellow student, two years older than you, but he often works as the library assistant and even has a part-time job as the barista at the nearby cafe. You can never show enough gratitude for those steaming cups of coffee in the chilly winter he surprises you with and past tests to help you pass your classes.

Your fingers are still cold from the January breezes, and you slip between bookshelves to find an isolated place where you can study. You think you’ve found a nice table, until you make a sharp turn and you abruptly face the broad frame of a tall male. A shock of pain runs through your body as you slam into the man. Your books fall from your grasp, the ground is suddenly splayed with your papers, and you fall with a crash.

“I’m sorry,” a deep voice apologizes, and your attention is immediately piqued by the somewhat familiar voice. The stranger outstretches a hand, and you gladly accept it.

You’re hoisted off the ground, and a dark red splotches your cheeks as you gaze into unmistakably familiar russet eyes. A name flickers in your dim memory and rests upon the tip of your tongue.

Park Chanyeol.

“I didn’t see you there,”  the male says. You fiddle with your fingers awkwardly as he stoops over and helps you gather your papers. His calloused fingers find a frayed notebook, your name scribbled across the top, and a smile appears on the male’s face.

“Hey, you’re Kyungsoo’s friend,” the male announces. “You're a business major, right? I’m Chanyeol, by the way.”

Your cheeks burn, but he continues.

“Kyungsoo talks about you a lot. You must be close.”

“Yeah,” you stammer. “We’ve been friends for years now.”

Chanyeol flashes you a smile, before glancing at the watch around his wrist and groaning, “I have to leave. We should hang out sometime. Kyungsoo always says you’re quite the character, and I’d like to see for myself.”

You scold yourself because you know you're going to spend the next hour conjuring images of Chanyeol's smile and those long legs and chestnut locks, rather than studying. You swear your legs have melted into jelly, for your knees are trembling and you can hardly hold yourself up. You lean against a bookshelf, and a smile tugs at your lips while a swarm of ferocious butterflies attacks your stomach.

“Kyungsoo!”

You surprise the male once he’s finished with his class, and he quirks an eyebrow.

“What?” he asks.

“I. Spoke. To. Park. Chanyeol!”

You grab him by the shoulders and flash him a beaming smile. You shout with a ring in your voice and you heave a sigh as you place your hands over your heart.

“How did things go?” Kyungsoo asks. “Did you mumble like an idiot?”

You smack Kyungsoo on the arm.

“Of course not,” you uselessly defend. “He even suggested that we hang out sometime!”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at you and playfully ruffles your hair.

 

Where had your loud and bubbly self gone?



 

“We can meet up in the library this weekend to finish the project,” your partner suggests.

“Yeah,” you mumble. “I guess.”

Jongdae attempts to meet your gaze and stir up a casual conversation, but all is futile.

"Maybe we can meet up for some coffee or something this week," he says.

"I don't have time this week."

"Alright... See you."

Your back is turned against him, and you wait to hear his footsteps diminish into the distance.

It's a shame.

Jongdae's a good person, really. You would have definitely befriended him if it weren't for your attempts to shut everyone out. He's always reaching out to you and trying to break you out of your shell. He deserves so much more, but unfortunately, he's had the misfortune of being partnered up with you.

Your thoughts are interrupted when your phone suddenly vibrates in your pocket. Your fingers rummage through the leaves of paper and gum wrappers in your coat pocket, until they curl around your phone. Your breath hitches in your throat when your eyes scan over the text on your screen.

Kyungsoo: Found someone. I'll send them over at 2:00 this afternoon.

You run a hand through your locks and grit your teeth. You're about to call Kyungsoo and give him a piece of your mind, but why should you when you're almost sure of his response?

"Trust me."

~~

Note: The story will definitely get more interesting as the chapters progress, and various members will be making an appearance! Thank you for reading!