Part XI

I Could Be the One

Tina entered the bedroom, dropping her keys and phone on the table beside the bed. She was exhausted she haven't got any sleep. Tina had a hard time sleeping in Aom's unit..Their unit actually.

When she was there all she can think of is their memories together. How they were so happy together, fooling around, playing, teasing, laughing, hiding, denying, being pushed away, hurt-- She shrugged herself "NO." stopping herself from remembering what happen before. We're done, It's been a long while, our relationship had been a disaster but it's done.  I already have a girlfriend and she loves me so much. Maybe being friends with Aom wouldn't be so bad." Tina look for any distractions. Some magazines were scattered on the floor. She decided to cleaned up a bit and cooked breakfast for Aom before she leaves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aom was sitting with P'Pum at a back table in the coffee shop as the crowd starts coming. Aom's photoshoot was finished earlier than they expected. Staring out the window she gazed out into the dark clouds. No rain has fallen yet but she thinks it gonna pour hard.

How are you last night? Pum asked.

Aom shift her gaze to her manager and mumble, "Huh?"

"You got drunk, I was having an urgent business meeting last night that's why I called for help."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Tina was very helpful, thanks." Aom looking at her manager intently.

"P', why did you call Tina of all people?"

"Well I was with her sister last night. Were having a meeting with some organizers for TIAOM's reunion when you call. I told her that you need help, Air offered help and gave me Tina's number.

 

Aom was not sure if it was goodluck or not until..


"Oh by the way. Air told me that Tina's girlfriend needs to go back to California, She brought her to the airport last night before she went to help you." Pum continues.

 

Shoot! This is definitely a goodluck.. Aom can't believe this is happening. I think this is a sign. She thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like she had just shut her eyes when Tina heard her phone ringing. Groaning, she reluctantly opened her eyes and looked at the clock seeing it was already 6:30 in the evening. She was more than shocked to know that she slept for long hours this day. She immediately answered the phone,  "Hey Tina."

Aom? Tina asked.

"Yes." Aom guessed that Tina just woke up based on her voice. She probed, "You just woke up? Aren't you?"

Tina chuckled on the thought that she slept so much today, "Yeah, someone was drunk last night that wasn't able to get herself to bed. Drained all my energy. Pity me."

 

Aom laughed "Silly, you should have stayed and slept in our unit." Tina cleared the grin from her face and let out a quiet sigh, 

Aom suddenly realized what she have just said. "Tsss..That's awkward!"

 

She immediately change the topic, "Have you eaten anything yet?"

"No, I'm actually really hungry."

"Alright, how about you take a quick shower and meet me downstairs.

"Do you know where I'm staying?"

"No, but i know you're somewhere near." Aom remember the time when she saw Tina and Leisha in the coffee shop." So where should I pick you up?" Aom asked.  Tina gave her address and asked her to wait for 20 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tina went down wearing her usual shorts and a plain white vneck shirt. She saw a white mazda coming in and stopped in front of her. Aom didn't bother to roll down her window. Tina open the passenger door and hop in.

"Hi." Aom greeted.

"Hi." Tina shortly replied.

Hungry? Aom asked Tina.

Tina cocked her head to Aom and said, "Really? No breakfast, lunch and dinner and you're asking me? I can almost smell the burgers and fries now!

Aom laughed as she maneuvered her steering wheel and steps on the accelerator. "You can really smell it silly, i already ordered food. Look at the back seat."

Tina looked at the backseat and saw 2 paper bags from a fast food chain! "You went drive thru?!" Tina excitedly get the bags and saw large fries that she immediately ate hungrily, Tina hurriedly opened the burger wrap and took the first big bite, "The best food ever!"

Aom laughed again. "Well yeah it looks like it."

After a very short while.

"Where are we going?" Tina asked while sipping the soda.

Well I actually would like you to eat, in somewhere quiet, so we can talk and catch up but by the looks of it you already finished everything. Aom glanced at the empty paper bags. 

"That's not fair, You know I'm hungry." Tina pouts. Aom shook her head and laughed. 

Okay let's go anyway. Aom smiled at her.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow, It is so nice and quiet here." Tina said as she walked closely next to Aom.

Tina and Aom had been walking on the pier and were heading at the end of it. They stopped at the railings and just stared at the sea.

"So nice." Tina exclaimed. "Thanks for bringing me here." Tina said as she looked at Aom nodded at her and looked away. "I've always come here whenever I'm down. It helps me clear my mind and relax."  Aom said looking at the sea.

Tina's mesmerized on the beauty that is in front of her. "I think this is going to be my safe place too."

You're what?

"You know, a safe place.. A place you go whenever all gets too much, A hiding place where you can think and forget about everything.

"Right." Aom said. "Just be sure to bring a sweater, the beach gets kinda cold you know."

Tina laughed. "Yeah, I'll remember that.

As the two reach the end of the pier, talk turned to other things-- The two talked about what have gotten into their lives since they parted ways, more on their career. How many movies Aom make and how well Tina's group gone. Tina didn't talked about Leisha much cause she feels Aom was not really into talking about her new relationship. 

Eventually rain started to fall, they both look at each other with a widen eyes. "Oh no, we gotta go." Tina gestured her face to Aom. "Yeah lets go." They started to walk fast back to Aoms car, their hands were softly brushed against each other. Aom felt the jolt in her nerves, the same feeling of a long time ago, it was really still there, she thought.  The rain started to fall hard, Tina grabs her hand tight and started to run. Come on! They both laughed while running. Soaking wet they get into the car.

Are you okay? Tina catching her breath.

"Yeah, you?" Aom wiping her arms.

I'm okay. Tina looked at her gratefully and said, "Thanks for tonight. I really appreciate it. It was so nice to be with you again."

Aom gave her a small smile and mess with Tina's hair she said, "That's no biggie."

I wonder when we're going to see each other again. Tina look in front of the car as Aom starts to drive back.

Aom felt her heart stopped even if she's sure it's just a friendly statement of Tina. "She wanted to see me again." She thought.

"Didn't you know that we will be traveling to China nextweek and held our most awaited reunion?"

What?!

Yes.

How come you know and I don't?

Well I just also know it earlier with P'Pum. I'm sure P'Air will tell you about it. Where's your phone? Aom asked.

Oh, I left it. Maybe she's giving me hundred calls right now.

Aom laughed okay let's get you home then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have Arrived in front of Tina's building. The rain weaken and there's only drizzle.

"Thanks again Aom, It was a fun night." They gave each other a smile, Tina remove her seatbelt and was about to open the car.

"Tina, can i ask you a favor?" Aom blurted out. Tina leaned back and looked at Aom and asked, "Sure, What is it?"

"My friends were a big fan of yours, Fern and Hongyok, They were my friends in college. This weekend Hongyok will be celebrating her birthday, I wonder if you can come with us?

Tina gave it a thought,Leisha's not here anyways and i have nothing to do. "Uhmm.. Okay. I'd love to go with you. Thanks for inviting me.

Aom smiled, relieved. "Alright, great. Should i pick you up or you'll pick me up instead?"

"I'll pick you up." Tina replied. "Okay then." Aom replied. The two parted with cheerful goodbye.

Aom drove away tapping her fingers on her steering wheel, She was happy. Very happy. She wished they could have more than what they had today but it was enough for now. She was ecstatic that she and Tina had somehow managed to be actual friends. She enjoyed spending time with Tina, rejoiced at how well their friendly date had gone, and was looking forward this weekend. 

Tina walked inside the building, twirling her keys around her finger and trying not to smile too big. She too was happy. It had taken her a long time to the notion of being friends with Aom. This could be the final step in "putting all the bad things before behind them". No more sadness, no self preservation. Remembering how well it went.Tina smiled and shook her head. "See you again Aom."