Deep Sleep

Lost Sunshine

The morning wasn’t quick to arrive, not for the five of them who couldn’t sleep, worrying about their friend. They had made a silent agreement not to tell the youngest, not until he was awake. Turning onto his side, Jimin stared at the older boy sleeping next to him. How could he not have noticed? How did he manage to hide this from everyone for so long? He hated it. He hated that this boy, who made him so, so very happy had lied to him this whole time.

Yawning, he sat up and looked around. The others had given up trying to sleep a while ago and now the sun had risen. It was probably about six or seven. They were probably eating breakfast, or explaining what happened to Kookie. Jimin stood and walked over to the older boy. They would have to leave soon. He should try to wake him. “Hobi,” he whispered, gently shaking the boy. Nothing. “Hoseok-hyung, wake up. You need to wake up,” his voice was slightly louder. His friend was probably just tired.

But he didn’t wake up. With worry, the younger boy began to shake him harder. “Hobi! Wake up!” Nothing and he couldn’t help the panic that sprang into his heart. Were they too late already? They should have gone last night. No, he should have called the others, went yesterday after he had found him. “Hoseok! Hoseok, wake up! Wake up!” He hadn’t realised that he was now screaming, tears running down his cheeks as he shook the boy harder and harder. “Hoseok!”

By then the others had entered. Yoongi stepped forwards, pulling Jimin away from the boy and holding him back as he struggled, still calling to his friend. It broke his heart, but if he didn’t hold him back, the boy could very well cause damage to the other, or even himself. He sat himself on Jimin’s bed, holding the boy in his arms, cringing every time he called out. It was Jin and Namjoon who arranged everything, called the hospital, decided who would go with Hoseok in the ambulance.

They didn’t take long to get there. Not when it was an idol who needed the help. Yoongi pulled the crying boy out of the room – he would only get in the way, and sat him down on the couch, trying his hardest to calm him down. The younger two sat with them in silence as the others talked with the paramedics. Soon, Hoseok left, followed by Namjoon. The leader was going with him. Grabbing the keys, Jin gestured to the others. “We’ll take the van there, right behind them.” He seemed off and Yoongi offered to drive. Jin simply shook his head, saying that he needed something to concentrate on.

It felt like an age before they reached the hospital and the traffic certainly didn’t get them there any faster. They parked, made their way to reception, then to a waiting room. It didn’t take long before Namjoon joined them, shaking his head to say that he had no news. And they sat there. No one talked, no one moved, save to make small trips to the bathroom, as they waited.

It was late afternoon by the time the doctor came up to them. Watching them with serious eyes. “So? What is it?” Yoongi was first to break the silence, spitting out the words with venom, as if the doctor had intended to keep it a secret like Hoseok had.

The doctor took a deep breath. He obviously didn’t have much experience in this area. “Jung Hoseok had a history of drug addiction,” he paused to let it settle in. It was apparent that the boy had kept event that a secret from the others. “As a result, he has acquired a certain disease. It starts with dizzy spells, something that can be easily mistaken as blood rush, especially in dancers. They occur more often, until a person can no longer stand, then they struggle to wake up.”

Another pause as he waited for them to understand. One breath. Then another. “Being this far into the disease, it is not likely that he will wake up. There is a chance, but it’s slim. One in ten thousand ever make it.” At that, the group finally responded. V had slipped off his seat, wrapping his arms around his legs and holding them to his chest. Jimin had returned to his tears and Jin somewhat choked on the air he was breathing.

Jungkook finally spoke up. “It’s Hoseok-hyung. He’d never give up. He’ll make it through.” It sounded as if he was trying to convince himself, rather than comfort the others. With a sigh, the doctor turned and walked off. He couldn’t handle seeing this. From around a corner, the nurse arrived, informing them that they could wait no longer in the room and reminding them that they were already allowed to stay outside of visiting hours when they had complained.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Ahhhhh, I’m so sorry! This is sooo mean.