A little fun before the storm

Broken Wings

-Jae Eun POV-

I’ve been working for a little more than a week in SM. I’m slowly getting used to it but still I feel slightly uncomfortable. It created an unsettling feeling within me. Hearing any music would just create this tingling sensation that I wouldn’t get if I heard it elsewhere. It made it hard to concentrate.

But at least my weekend was going well. I spent Saturday sleeping in, cleaned the house and then I went out to watch a movie. Today, so for all I did was go for a run in the morning, took a bath and I just finished breakfast. The problem is it was only 12 and I didn’t know what to do. There wasn’t anything nice to watch on television either. Then I remembered the book I’d bought yesterday. So I decided to lie down with a book on the very comfortable couch.

Suddenly I felt something cold on my hand. I realised that I could only see darkness. I opened my eyes to see the sunlight streaming in from the window. Apparently I had fallen asleep while reading. I must have been more tired than expected or the book must have seriously been boring. My left hand that had fallen off the side of the couch was being sniffled and my black Labrador Haemin. I turned to look at the clock; it was already 4pm. Looks like it was time for his walk.

As I got up he quickly made his way to the door waiting for me. I quickly changed my clothes and grabbed my keys and phone. By the time I reached the door, he wagging his tail with the lease in his mouth. I could only smile at his enthusiasm.

Soon we were on our usual route down the street and towards the park/playground.

“Unni!”

I looked in front to see about three little kids waving to me from the playground. I quickened my steps to reach the playground where the children were. “Anyo!” I said.

“Noona anyo!” said one of the boys Tae Wan. Then he bent down to Haemin. “Haemin anyo!” Haemin could only give a bark in reply.

The girl who called me previously, Seohyun stepped forward and patted Haemin. “Unni can we play with Haemin.”

I just smiled and asked teasingly “Who did you want to see more?” with a small pout.

Then the other boy Young Jae quickly replied “Haemin!” Hearing his name Haemin just started barking and jumping around enthusiastically.

I could only smile at the scene. “Alright. Why don’t you find a stick and we can play fetch.” With that the three ran off to find a suitable fallen branch and I sat down at a nearby bench while Haemin just lay down next to me.

It was fun playing with the children, they were so easily pleased and that happiness of theirs was contagious.

 

-Yunho POV-

I had lost in a game and was being punished by bringing food back for the other four. Saturday was spent at SBS filming for a variety show and today Sunday we were given the day off.

Changmin had to mention wanting some famous kimchi stew causing the rest to want it as well and I have to take a 30 minute drive to the place in Dongjak.

It was currently summer but despite that there was a cool breeze in the air so I decided to roll down the windows a little. It wasn’t an area I was really familiar so I was circling around some neighbourhood area. I stared at the clock on the dashboard. It was already 4.30pm. I‘d been circling the area for almost fifteen minutes. Maybe I should ask someone. But I didn’t want to cause chaos. Maybe there would be some ajumma or harabeoji who didn’t know who I was and I could ask them. I drove around but I didn’t see anyone. Then I came across a park but there were only children and a lady with a dog. I thought about getting out and asking them but I didn’t know if I should take a risk.

Suddenly I heard someone shout “Haemin!” I automatically pressed the brakes. That name just sent a jolt through my body. I scanned the area for where the voice came from. I knew that whoever this Haemin was it might not be related to her but I just needed to check. The only people around were the 3 kids and the lady with the dog in the park. I put the car in reverse to get a closer look. The 3 kids had run off and the girl was walking towards the bench. When she turned around to sit, it seems another jolt ran through my body. It was her.

I saw her sit there just looking at her surroundings. She looked so serene and calm. A side I hadn’t seen of her. I didn’t even realise I was looking at her every action and movement. How she looked at the children with caring eyes making sure they were safe. How she her dog’s fur gently. How she smiled at the children when they ran towards her and crowded around her.

I saw her bend down and release her dog from the lease. The dog seemed well-trained and stayed still not running around. She threw the stick and it ran off after it and coming back in a flash leaving the children in awe and clapping their hands. This became a pattern with each child getting their own turn throwing the stick and it ended with them crowding round the dog and patting him. Even I couldn’t help smiling at the scene. Such simple moments could make one happy.

Suddenly the little girl fell and chaos somewhat erupted. She started to cry, the dog started barking and everyone crowded around her. Jae Eun quickly put her dog back on the lease and gave it to one of the boys. Then she picked up the girl in her arms trying to calm her down and stop crying.

Somehow I felt that I couldn’t just sit here and do nothing. I got out of the car and quickly walked over to them stopping them in their tracks. I could imagine their reaction and she did exactly what I predicted.

“Jung Yunho ssi what are you doing here?” Before I could even speak she continued to speak cutting me off. “I don’t care. I’ve got other things to take care off so excuse me.”

She tried to go around me but I held out my hand stopping her. She turned to give me this irritated look. “Wait. My car is just here. I saw what happen. Wouldn’t it be faster if I drove you to wherever you needed to go to.”

I saw her give it some thought then reply “Alright. I need to treat her wound before it gets infected. My house is around here.”

I quickly directed her to the front seat and the two boys and dog in the back. I drove according to her directions and soon we were in front of a white house with quite a big garden.

I quickly got out and followed the rest of them into the house. I saw her give directions as she sat the girl Seohyun on the couch. “Tae Wan the cupboard under the sink there is a blue basin can you fill it with warm water and bring it back her. Young Jae can you unhook Haemin’s lease and put it in the box by the door.” Then I realised that Haemin was her dog. I wanted to laugh at my stupid assumptions but I was brought back by her voice. “Seohyun I know it hurts but you have to calm down ok. Can you stop crying for me?” But there was no change.

“Is there anything I can do?” I asked.

She thought for a while and got up. “Keep Seohyun company. See if you can stop her from crying. I have to get some things.”

I saw her head up the stairs and I walked towards the couch to try to complete the task delegated to me. I bent down to face the crying girl. “You’re Seohyun right? I’m Yunho oppa.” There was no reaction from her. “Your knee hurts right. But Jae Eun unni is going to clean it up for you then it won’t hurt anymore so bear with for a while ok?” There was still no difference. “How about this? Oppa will sing a song for you.” The first song that came to mind was a song that would be in our third album that was to appeal to children ‘Balloons’. Slowly I started to sing it. Soon she started to calm down and look at me. I took her hands in mind to comfort her and lighten up the mood. I didn’t even notice the others who were staring at us until the boy put down the basin on the table.

Jae Eun quickly took my place in front of Seohyun while I sat next to her. The two boys came to sit down on the couch as well. Tae Wan on Seohyun’s side and Young Jae on my left.

As she rummaged through the medical box taking out things she kept her eye on the girl in front of her. “Seohyun, its going to hurt a little but I need to clean your wound if not there will be an infection. I promise its going to hurt for a little while only after that it will be all gone. Ok?” I could tell she was a little scared but nevertheless Seohyun nodded her head.

With her nod Jae Eun got to work. She took a towel and dipped it in the warm water and used it to gently wipe the scrapped knees. I saw her wince and grabbed my pants. I saw Jae Eun look up slightly worried. So I raised Seohyun up and sat her down on her lap and held her hands hoping it would give her some comfort. I could feel some of the tension in her body fade and it also gave Jae Eun the reassurance to carry on. Seohyun was still definitely scared so I continued to sing the song. To give strength to the girl the two boys started to sing and Jae Eun sang the lyrics as well. I could see Seohyun smile as we had our ‘sing along’ session and soon Jae Eun was done with the wound. “Seohyun don’t you feel better?” asked Jae Eun.

“Yes.” She answered enthusiastically nodding her head.

“Ok now to clean up. And I need the three of you to call your parents to tell them where you are. Before you hang up let me talk to them alright.” The three of them nodded. “Also you can’t tell anyone that Jung Yunho ssi is here, if not I won’t give you any ice cream.” Once again they nodded with their eyes lighting up at the sound of the word ice cream pudding.

“Can I help with anything?” I offered.

“Can you get the basin and pour away the water. Also just give it a rinse. When you’re done just leave it on top of the sink. Its that toilet down the hall.” I watch where she pointed and followed her instructions. When I was done, I came back out to see her on the phone. “Yes I promise. I’ll walk them home later. Don’t worry. Yes. Thank you.” As she put down the phone she turned towards the three children behind her and enthusiastically said “I’ve already gotten permission from your parents. So who wants some spaghetti for dinner? Then for desert you can have ice cream.” The three children then raised their hands excitedly.

I walked towards them and stood at her side. As she sensed my presence she turned towards me. “Jung Yunho ssi thanks for helping would you like to stay for dinner?”

Based on past experience with her, I wasn’t expecting such hospitality. Seohyun came over and tugged on my hand “Oppa please stay.”

Looking at her big watery eyes I couldn’t really say no. Adding on the fact that I wanted to taste her cooking I said yes.

“Alright then. Who wants to help me? Or do you guys want to play with Haemin?”

“Food.” Replied all three.

“Then the three of you need to watch your hands.” She directed them to the sink but they were too short to reach so I lifted each of them. I saw her laugh as she took out some food from the around the kitchen. When we were done with hand washing she made the kids sit down at the dinner table. In front of each of them she placed a bowl with some minced meat inside. “This will be for the meatballs so we need to shape them. So follow me ok.” She slowly took the meat and rolled it into a ball and placed it on the dish in front of her. After the demonstration she left them to continue with other tasks.

I walked over to her. “So why did you laugh just now?”

“Eh?” She looked at me confused.

“When I was helping them wash their hands.”

 

“Oh. Well I thought it would have been easier if you had used a chair instead of carrying them.”

“Oh. Well they aren’t heavy.”

“That’s true.”

“So do you need me to do anything?”

Before she could reply me a voice from behind said “Noona how do you know U-know Yunho ssi?” It was the boy Young Jae.

“Does unni and oppa love each other?” I was a little shocked hearing that come from Seohyun. I didn’t know what to say.

I turned to look at Jae Eun. She too was stunned but managed to recover and reply them “I just met Jung Yunho ssi and I don’t love him. Seohyun you shouldn’t go around asking such questions.” Then cooly she turned around to continue her chores.

“Shouldn’t you stop calling me Jung Yunho ssi. Its too formal. Its not like we don’t know each other. You should call me oppa.”

“I don’t really know you Jung Yunho ssi. Didn’t you say you wanted to help?”

“Yes. Its not like I’ve met you only once so why can’t you call me oppa.”

“Will you just drop it. Its not like it matters.”

“It does to me.”

“The best I can do is Yunho ssi. Take it or leave it.”

“Fine. But I’ll make you call me oppa someday.”

I could see her sigh “I’ve put some water in the pot to boil. When it does boil put in the spaghetti and look after it. It should take around eight minutes. Drain it after its cooked, don’t just leave it there if not it will become soggy.”

I did as I was told and looked at the water. But from time to time I looked at the three children at the table. They were kind of neat not really making a mess. Then I turned to look at Jae Eun who was carefully cutting up some vegetables and making the sauce.

Soon I saw the water bubbling so I open the packet of spaghetti and poured it in. I walked towards the bin near Jae Eun to throw the plastic away. As soon as she saw it her eyes widened. “Did you put the whole packet in?”

“Yeah.”

She stopped what she was doing and quickly walked over to the pot. “Aish! This amount of spaghetti is worth for about ten people. There’s no way we can finish this amount.”

I looked at her guiltily biting my lip “Sorry. I didn’t know.”

“Never mind I’ll just have spaghetti for the next few days then.”

“You know. I can bring it back for my members to eat. They’ll finish it all. I’ll even pay you for it.”

“There’s no need for that. I’ll pack it for you later.”

I nodded, happy the problem I caused was forgiven and solved. Then I remembered the kimichi stew. “Ah!” Everyone turned to look at me. “I forgot to get the kimichi stew.”

“You mean kimichi stew from sanding street?” asked Tae Wan.

“Yes that’s the one.”

“Young Jae’s grandmother owns that place.”

“Halmuhnee’s restaurant closes at 7.”

I quickly turned to look at the clock. It was already 5.30. I needed to get it if not Changmin will make a fuss about it.

“Young Jae doesn’t your halmuhnee live with you?”

“Yup.”

“Can you call her to pack some kimichi stew for me. Five portions. Then when I send you home later I’ll get it from her?”

“No problem.” I saw the little boy wipe his hands and head towards the phone. After two minutes he came back with a smile on his face. “Halmuhnee says its alright.” It made me give a sigh of relief.

“Unni we are done.” Interrupted Seohyun.

“Ok good. Everything’s about done so why don’t you wash up and then you guys can help me set the table. Yunho ssi please go help them.” I followed them to the sink helping each of them.

I left the cutlery on the table for them to set while I placed the plates near her. She had already packed the portion of spaghetti and sauce for my members and had fried about half the meatballs. “If you have nothing to do plate the rest of the spaghetti.”

I did as I was told and just watched her as she skilfully fried the rest of the meatballs. Soon we were they were all done and everyone was sitting at the table with a plate of hot tasty looking spaghetti. The melted cheese on top just made it all the more enticing.

Then we started to eat. As I took my first bite, the flavours just melted in my mouth. “This is really good.”

The kids laughed at my comment. “We know. Noona’s really good at Western dishes. Probably because she stayed in England for seven years. Her Korean dishes aren’t too bad either but they aren’t as good as Seohyun and I’s mother’s cooking or Young Jae’s Halmuhnee but its still good.”

“I’m not that good. I’m still learning.”

“Wait you said yours and Seohyun mother. You are siblings?”

“Yup.” Answered Seohyun. “He’s my oppa and Young Jae oppa is oppa’s best friend.”

“How old are you?”

“I’m 5 this year and oppa’s are 6.”

Suddenly I thought about how my family would look like in future. My wife and kids all of us sitting around the table eating happily. I was looking forward to the day.

Soon after dinner and the promised ice cream we were back in my car. I drove each of them back to their house at the same time collecting the kimichi stew. Before I knew it we were back at Jae Eun’s house.

Before she went back in she looked at me. “I had fun today. It was nice Yunho ssi. Drive safely.” I watched her walk back into the house unwilling to drive off wanting to spend more time with her. But I couldn’t. Changmin had called me around an hour ago and asked me “nicely” where the food was.

So I reluctantly started the drive home.

When I reached back, as soon as I opened the door Changmin quickly grabbed the food from my arm’s and headed to the kitchen.

“Yunho you’re finally backed.” Greeted Jaejoong.

“Hyung what took you so long?” asked Changmin. “Why is there spaghetti?”

“Its a long story. But the spaghetti is really good.”

“Where did you get it?” asked Junsu.

“Well Lee Jae Eun made it. I kind of ran into her today.”

“Yunho is that why you’re so happy?” asked Jaejoong smiling. Was it obvious?

Then I heard a door close. I turned to see Yoochun come out of our work room. “Yunho hyung you’re home. I have something to show you.” I saw the serious look on his face and got a little worried.

He signalled me to follow him and I walked behind him into the work room. He then sat me down in front of the computer and started to click some stuff. The other members who though there was something wrong followed us as well. Soon a newspaper article came up. It was dated six years ago.

“END OF THE MUSICAL GENIUS?

Lee Jae Eun, 14, the famous violinist child prodigy was involved in a car accident in England yesterday. She has been hospitalised due to severe injuries. Currently she is still unconscious. Doctors are unsure if she is able to play due to a severe arm and shoulder fracture. It might take even a year before she can hold a violin.

Is this the end of the girl who enchanted us with her violin pieces? The girl has brought pride to Korean being known as one of the few musical geniuses of her generation. By the age of 10 she has won numerous awards. When she was 11 she was invited to attend the prestigious St. Cecilia School of Music in England....”

As I read I just became dumbstruck.

“No wonder her name sounded so familiar.” Commented Jaejoong.

I didn’t know she kept such a huge secret. I didn’t know she was such a great person and what she had achieved. Everything just seemed to make sense now but at the same time even more questions popped into my mind.