Cupcakes

Broken Wings

-Yunho POV-

As I watched her leave, I could only continue to stare at the disappearing taxi and think about her pained face screamed for help twice that night. Or the picture of her back as she said komawo. I was tempted to go up and hug her and tell her it was alright. The moment I first set eyes on her when she came into the club, her in that dress she was beautiful. I swear I stopped breathing for a moment. But the problem was why I couldn’t say things truthfully when I was around her.

“Yunho Hyung!”

I was brought out of my thoughts by the sudden calling of my name. I turned to look around and saw that Jaejoong and Yoochun were already in our car waiting for me. I quickly got into the passenger seat and Jaejoong drove off.

“So hyung what were you thinking about so hard that you didn’t hear us when we called you so many times.” Asked Yoochun from the backseat.

“Eh? I only heard you call me once.”

“Yunho we called you like five times.” Replied Jaejoong.

“Yunho hyung were you thinking about her?” I saw Yoochun smile cheekily through the rear view mirror.

“Ya. Who said I was even thinking about her. I...I was just thinking about what we were going to do tomorrow.”

“Thinking about how you were going to call her tomorrow maybe.” Teased Yoochun.

“Yoochun you better stop it.” I warned.

“But Yunho. I think its best if you don’t bother her anymore. She looked like she didn’t want to talk about her playing the violin. Actually she looked like she was in pain. She probably has something she doesn’t want to remember.”

I thought about Jaejoong’s words. Then I remembered the times she told me to leave her alone. I would have but something about her just drew me in. Something about her just screamed fragile despite her fierce strong exterior. I wanted to keep her safe.

“Jaejoong I want to but somehow I just can’t”

“Yunho hyung I think you’ve fallen for.”

“No I haven’t. Its just like I want to know what’s wrong with her. What is she hiding from? What she’s so afraid of?”

“Yunho are you sure you want to know. Somehow it doesn’t feel right. You might get dragged into something you can’t get out of.”

“Yunho hyung, Jaejoong hyung is right. She could be bad news. But someone as pretty as her couldn’t be bad right. I especially couldn’t take my eyes off her friend. She was really light. Changmin will regret not seeing her.”

Silence surrounded the rest of the car ride home. I closed my eyes and thought about their warnings. But somehow they didn’t really sink in. The curiosity just outweighed the consequences.

 

-Jae Eun POV-

I sat at the dining table with my tea in front of me and the newspapers in my hand. It was a quiet Sunday morning and I liked it.

Suddenly I heard the creeking of the stairs. I put down the papers to see a somewhat confused and messy haired Jae Jin holding her head in pain.

She stared at me through half asleep eyes and said “What happened?”

“Good morning to you too. Its already noon. I made pancakes for breakfast. They are in the microwave. If it isn’t obvious you passed out last night so I brought you back here.” I could see she was about to ask something but I stopped her. “I called your parents. They know you stayed over. I have even sense to not send you back in that state. Your parents would have killed you. You should know better than getting any kind of strong alcohol.” I waited till she was seated before I continued. At least by that time she would be stuffing her face with food and wouldn’t be too angry with what I said next. “And also the bartender you have a crush on is a jerk.”

I saw her choke and gulp down the glass of juice in front of her. “Bwoh?”

“You can’t remember anything from last night when you were alone with him right? Apart from the hangover headache isn’t there a slight buzzing in your head?” I watched her as she nodded her head. “Well the drugged you with rohypnol.” I could see the shock in her eyes. “You really need to focus on other things around you. If I didn’t see him carrying you out you would probably have been and not have remembered at all. But I guess the main thing is that you are fine.” I saw the sadness in her eyes so I tried to get her to focus on something else. “As much as I hate to admit it, DBSK helped us to get away unscathed.

I saw her eyes sparkle “Oh really? I have to thank them then. Also you didn’t tell me you knew them how could you.”

“You think I do. It was an accident. It was late I was lost and I stumbled by a recording studio. I saw a violin and I picked it up.” She looked at me with wide eyes. “Don’t look at me like that. I know I shouldn’t have but I did. I played. This is why I was so opposed to working there. I knew the temptation would be too great. But that was when I saw him. I played the first verse of ave maria and my arm started to hurt so I ended up dropping to my knees. Then he suddenly appeared and asked me whether I was alright. I didn’t even know who he was then.”

“He sounds like your prince charming when he offered to help you up. So what did you do next? You took his hand right?” she asked hopeful.

“Actually after realising what I had done I ran off.”

She looked at me in disbelief. “How could you?”

“I’m sort of happy I did. The next day I found how irritating and conceited he was. He called me to a meeting room. At that point I didn’t know who he was yet. Of course I was shocked when DBSK’s leader was suddenly in front of me. Then he somewhat tried to force me to play the violin for DBSK. Oh all people to bother why me.”

“Jae Eun are you sure you don’t want to.” Asked Jae Jin seriously.

“Jae Jin please that part of my life is over. I don’t want to go back. I just want to focus on what is ahead of me.”

“Jae Eun, I know how much you miss it. The fact that you couldn’t stop yourself from playing is evident that you miss it. Jae Eun why don’t you try?”

“Jae Jin even if I wanted to I can’t. Please can we talk about something else?”

“Fine.” I sat there drinking my now cooled tea trying to calm myself down before she broke the silence. “So where all five of them there?”

“Huh?”

“DBSK.”

“Oh. No only three of them were. Park Yoochun ssi, Kim Jaejoong ssi and Jung Yunho ssi.”

“If I knew Micky Yoochun ssi was there I would have gone up to meet him.”

I just laugh as I remembered last night’s event. “If someone had taken a picture of last night. You would probably be killed by the netizens.” She looked at me confused. “Well you were too heavy for me support while I was busy confronting your bastard crush so a certain someone carried you. Bridal style.”

I saw her face heat up in embarrassment. “Please tell me it wasn’t Micky Yoochun.” She looked at my unchanging face and just sighed. “I hope I wasn’t heavy.”

I just smiled at her question thankful for having her as a friend.

But the next thing she said made me rethink that statement. “Should we make something for them? You know to thank them. Cookies or maybe cupcakes. Jae Eun you’re good at these kinds of things so what do you think? I bet you have everything we need.”

“I think we shouldn’t do anything except have a nice quiet relaxing day of doing nothing.”

“Fine. I’ll make them myself. So I’ll have to bother you to deliver them.” She quickly rummaged through the kitchen to find all that she would need.

I decided to walk off and spend my time in the living room reading finish the newspapers. Then I spotted the plate and glass on the table. “Yah! Yoon Jae Jin. Clean up the plate first and you better not make a mess. It had better be clean when I come back.”

“Arasso.”

 

-Next day-

Instead of having a nice relaxing day yesterday I ended up being totally pooped and irritated. I wasted yesterday making stinking cupcakes. After about half an hour I suddenly heard a loud clang. I quickly rushed in only to find Jae Jin and the floor covered in flour and the sink totally messed up spilled milk and broken eggs. “What the heck happened here?!”

She turned to look at me guiltily. “Well I accidentally tripped and everything went flying.”

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose trying to calm myself down and think rationally about what to do next. “Jae Jin firstly get cleaned up. I’ll wash up here and start on making the batter.” I knew if I left her here she might blow up the kitchen. “Clean your feet on the mat. Make sure you don’t leave any flour footprints. I don’t want to have to do any extra cleaning.”

She nodded and quickly left.

After 20 minutes, the kitchen floor was finally clean and I started on making the batter.

Thankfully, no other hiccup appeared. One almost happened when she decided to space the cupcakes close to each other on the tray. Luckily I saw it if not now we would have over spilled and seriously deformed cupcakes.

So here I was with 3 boxes of cupcakes under my desk. Fortunately no one in my office noticed them. I wouldn’t know how to explain it to them.

Suddenly my phone started to ring. Being too busy with the report I was typing out I didn’t bother to check who it was. “Hello?”

“Yah! Lee Jae Eun.”

I just sighed when I heard that voice. “What do you want now?”

“When is your lunch?”

“What?”

“I asked when you are having lunch.”

I just took a look at the clock. It was 12.25pm. “In fifteen minutes. Why?”

“Then I expected to see you in recording studio 3 by 12.40pm.”

“Excuse me?”

“You’re having lunch with us.”

“I can’t. I’m using my lunch to finish my report.”

“Yah when I tell you to come you’d better come. If you don’t I’ll go down and get you myself.”

“Fine I’ll go. Besides I’ve got something to hand to you. But I’m not having lunch with you.”

“We’ll see about that.”

I did as much as I could in that fifteen minutes before grabbing my phone and the big bag of cupcakes and headed to the lift. At exactly 12.40pm I knocked on those familiar glass doors and entered only to be met with five pairs of staring eyes.

“Good you’re here.” Said Yunho ssi as he got up and walked towards me. “You’ve already met Jaejoong and Yoochun. This is Junsu and Changmin.” He pointed to the other two members.

“So she is Lee Jae Eun.” Smiled Junsu ssi.

“Yes I am.”

“Sit down.” Ordered Yunho ssi.

“Sorry no. I’m just here to hand you something then I’m leaving.” I walked towards the table and placed the big bag down.

The youngest seemed to sense something. “Is that food?” He asked.

“I guess.” Then I slowly took out the three containers from the bag. I literally saw his eyes light up.

“CUPCAKES!”

I took them and handed it to the three males. “This is for Yoochun ssi, Jaejoong ssi and for Yunho ssi.”I said as I handed the final smallest box to Jung Yunho.

I saw Yunho glance between the other 2 boxes and his. “Why is mine smaller?”

I totally ignored his question. “This is for helping my friend Jae Jin and I the other night at the club.”

“I should have gone too. Hyung share it with me.” Cried Changmin ssi

“My job is over. I’m leaving.” I turned to leave but was held back by someone holding my wrist.

“Just stay for a while. We even have an extra bowl of jajangmian for you. Yoochun has a new song that he wants to play. Why don’t you stay and listen.”

“I really have to go.”

“Just take it us our thank you for the cupcakes.” Added Yoochun ssi.

“Fine.” I took a seat at one of the chairs and was handed a file of papers. “What’s this?”

“Its the notes for Yoochun song. Just in case you want to look at it.” Said Yunho ssi.

“So Jae Eun ssi how old are you?” asked Changmin ssi as he stuffed his face with cupcakes.

“Yah! That’s mine.” Scolded Jung Yunho.

“Hyung you should share.” Retored Changmin ssi.

I just chuckled at the scene in front of me. Changmin ssi had one hand protectively around the box of cupcakes and the other was used to put some distance between the two of them while Jung Yunho was stretching both his arms trying to reach the box.

“I was born in 87.” My one statement seemed to have stopped their fight and have everyone turn their attention to me.

“That means you’re my noona.” Said Changmin ssi.

“We are your seniors so you should call me oppa.”

“No thank you Jung Yunho ssi.”

I quickly turned my attention to the photocopied music sheets in front of me to ignore whatever rebuttal he had.

“It isn’t completed yet. But just have a listen and tell me what you think.” Said Yoochun ssi from the recording area as he sat in front of the piano making us all focus on him.

I sat there with my eyes closed and listened to the melody.

By the end of the first verse I could tell that there was something wrong. Then I took the pen on the table and as he played as changed the notes on the music sheets in front of me. About three-fifth through the song, I realised what I was doing and I quickly set down the pen. I couldn’t lose myself to this world again. But it wouldn’t hurt if I gave him some help. So I quickly wrote a small piece of advice on the first page and returned to listen with the rest of them.

When he finished the rest of DBSK praised his work while I stayed seated on my chair.

When he came out of the recording area, I decided to take my leave. “I’ll be leaving now.” So I got up and file back on the table and walked towards the door.

“Yah who says you can go.” Said Jung Yunho.

“Noona your cupcakes are delicious. Make more.” Said Changmin ssi.

“It was nice meeting you.” Said Junsu ssi.

“Thank you for the cupcakes.” Said Jaejoong ssi.

“I hope you liked the song.” Said Yoochun ssi. I smiled gave a bow and pointed to the file on the table and left. I ended up sighing as I thought about the unfinished report I had to complete.

 

-Yoochun POV-

I had been up the past few nights trying to finish this composition. It was somewhat finished but I just wasn’t satisfied. I felt like there was something wrong I just didn’t know what.

As I looked out the glass window I saw the whole group of them busy with their own things. Changmin and Yunho hyung were fighting over the cupcakes. Luckily I had enough sense to bring mine in here with me if not they would be eaten up by Changmin. Jaejoong hyung was busy playing with his cellphone and Junsu with his laptop. Then Jae Eun ssi said something that made everyone turn their attention to her. It made Yunho hyung and Changmin stop their struggle with each other and excitedly talked to her instead.

To get everyone’s attention I said “It isn’t completed yet. But just have a listen and tell me what you think.”

When everyone focused their attention to me, I slowly placed both hands on the keyboard and started to play. When I was nearing the end of the song I took a quick glance to see my audience’s faces. The one face that stood out from the rest was Jae Eun ssi. She had on a serious face but there was also a certain calmness about her.

When I finished playing I quickly asked “How was it?” Most of my members smiled at me and told me I did a good job but that one person sat there calmly not saying anything.

When I stepped out of the recording studio she decided to take her leave. We all said our goodbyes and see gave a smile and bowed. Before she left she turned to me and pointed to the table. I noticed the file. It was one of the extra copies of my sheet music.

I went to retrieve it and I flipped through it. At first I saw nothing but when I flipped to the next few pages, she changed had changed some of the notes. It seems she had noticed what was wrong. I was enthusiastic to try out the changes. When flipped back to the front I noticed some writing at the bottom of the page.

“I haven’t changed all that was wrong but you should be able to do the rest. You can start to see a pattern form if you’ve look through what I’ve done. Overall it was a rather good piece but you will need more practice.

P.S. Don’t tell anyone that I did this.”

She was right. It wouldn’t be right if she helped me finish it. I needed to find out what was wrong with it by myself. 

Rather excitedly I quickly went back to the piano and tried to correct the rest of it by myself.

In the corner of my mind I could only wonder who was this girl? How does she know so much about music? If she knew so much about music why wasn’t she part of the industry? From the way Yunho hyung talked about her violin playing skills and her knowledge of music she has talent.