Just the beginning

Broken Wings

-JAE EUN POV-

I hope I wasn’t in too much trouble for not photocopying the report. At least I sent it to the department head. Apart from the fact that I realised this morning my phone was missing, the day wasn’t so bad. I would be on time today and I had safely entered through the back door.

I purposely woke up a half an hour earlier to get here earlier than the rest of the department. It wasn’t hard since I couldn’t sleep being haunted by my actions last night.

I walked through the doors to the office. There wasn’t anyone around except my department head who was pacing back and forth at my desk. I hope it isn’t because I didn’t photocopy the report yesterday. I was planning to do it this morning.

To get his attention I greeted him. “Good Morning Sir.” He got at shock at my greeting. Apparently he was too deep in thought that he hadn’t notice me.

He quickly walked up to me. When he was next to me I could see how short he was. I was in heels he but he was a head shorter than me.

“Lee Jae Eun ssi. What did you do?”

Eh? He couldn’t be that angry about me not getting the report photocopied. I was planning on doing it now. Besides it’s not like there is anyone here.

“Sir, I’m sorry I didn’t get the report photocopied. It was just so late last night and I didn’t know my way around.”

“The report...Oh not that. I received your email. Its fine.” Then what was it about. He took a deep breath befor continuing. “What I want to know is why Oh Yong Man ssi came to find you this morning. He wasn’t happy either.”

“Eh? Who is Oh Yong Man ssi.”

“How can you not know who he is? He is the manager of... ah you should just go now. He has very little patience. He is waiting for you. Fifth floor turn left when you come out of the elevator, at the end meeting room 7.”

“Eh? I don’t even know who he is.”

“Just go quickly. I hope for your sake its nothing serious. They are important shareholders.”

“Who?”

I didn’t even get an answer and was pushed out the doors.

So here I am riding the elevator to the fifth floor. It couldn’t be the guy yesterday could it. I don’t think I did anything wrong. Maybe I wasn’t allowed to be there but its not like I stole anything. The worse thing that could have happened was that the string of the bow broke when I dropped it and even that is unlikely to happen. Even if it did it it’s not that big a problem, it can be fixed.

I was now standing outside the meeting room. I was slightly nervous but at the same time peeved. I wonder who the heck this guy was.

I knocked on the door and opened it slightly looking in. I saw a man sitting in one of the chairs looking through a bunch of papers on the table.

“Oh Yong Man ssi?”” I called to get his attention. Straight away looked at me and stood up.

He was definitely not the guy from yesterday. This guy was shorter, his face rounder and he had shorter hair.

“Lee Jae Eun ssi?” He said in a loud voice that scared me. I nodded to verify my identity. I wanted to ask him what he wanted with me but I was cut off before I could even start my question. “Leave.”

“Eh?” First you tell me to come here and now you’re telling me to leave. I wanted to give this guy a piece of my mind. Who was he to tell me to leave?

But yet again he spoke first. “Go down the corridor on your left there is meeting room 6. Go inside there.”

Now I was getting confused. “Go now” he commanded. I quickly left the room. I didn’t want to be in the same room with him any longer. How rude.

I made my way to meeting room 6. I knocked and opened the door. I peered in but there was no one. Why was I even here?

I walked further into the room and looked around. There right smack in the centre of the huge table was a violin. It wasn’t the same one as last night. This time it was a brown one.

It seems my unconscious reaction kicked in again. I walked towards it and stretched out my hand almost touching it. But I remembered what I had promised myself and quickly retracted my hand. Was someone trying to taunt me? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath trying to calm myself down. Unfortunately as soon as I opened my eyes, my gaze fell on that beautiful instrument and once again my hand moved on its own.

I quickly pulled it back with my other hand stopping myself. Suddenly I heard a voice. “If you like it so much why are you stopping yourself?” It was the same one as last night. So he was the one who called me out.

I turned around wanting to demand why he called me here. Instead I got a surprise.

I came face to face with DBSK’s leader, U-Know Yunho.

I did listen to music and I at least knew who sang what but I wasn’t that knowledgeable about how they looked. I probably wouldn’t notice a celebrity if they came up and talked to me. But DBSK was so popular that everywhere you went you could see their picture or on the television. It was the sort of information that even if you wanted to avoid knowing about you couldn’t.

He definitely saw the shock in my face. “Are you that blinded after seeing a star?”

I came to my senses after hearing his egotistical comment. “Why did you call me here?”

“Didn’t you lose something?” He pulled something from behind his back. It was a small white item. It was my missing phone. I had totally forgotten about it.

“Oh thanks.” I stretched out my hand assuming that he would return it to me. Instead, he walked around to the other side of the table and sat down in one of the chairs.

“I hope you don’t expect to get this back just like that.” I turned to look at him confused at his request. He gave a smirk and said “I want you to play for DBSK.”

“Play?”

“The violin.”

“Eh?”

“Last night. You played it didn’t you. I want you to play for DBSK.”

The only thing could come to mind was WHAT?!

“In the first place why would you need a violinist? Secondly aren’t there people who could do this? Thirdly, that is a big request in return for my phone. Lastly, I don’t play.”

“Aren’t you contradicting yourself? If you aren’t then what was last night.” He totally ignored my first three points.

“Last night was just a moment of folly.”

He stood up and walked round to the other side of the table and stood in front of me. He placed both his hands on the table by my sides trapping me between him and the table. He was a little too close for my liking. I had just met the guy for goodness sake. Were all celebrities this flirtatious?

He bent down and whispered in my ear “Then why don’t you fall back into that moment of weakness and play again.” As much as I hated to admit it, his voice was alluring. I could definitely feel my cheeks growing hotter. I mean who wouldn’t be especially in such a compromising situation.

Then I spotted it, sticking out of his back pocket. My cellphone. I slightly tilted my body to the right and stretched out my arm. Soon my fingers came into contact with the hard surface of my phone. With one swift moment I pulled it out and pushed him away ducking under his arm to escape.

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” I smiled and showed in what was in my hand. Apparently he hadn’t realised what I had done. He looked and felt his back pocket unable to believe that I had managed to steal my phone back.

“Looks like your bargaining chip is gone.” He didn’t look happy. “If you’re smart enough you’ll find out why I don’t play. Better still don’t bother me anymore.” With that I walked out of the room.

Just before I left I heard him shout at me “Yah! Lee Jae Eun this isn’t the last you’ve heard from me. You better watch out.”

Little did I know that this was just the beginning.