Interruptions and Interests

Broken Wings

-Yunho POV-

I couldn’t get that tune out of my head. Or that girl. The way she looked when she played she gave a whole other presence like she was glowing. She looked so calm as if she had done it numerous times before.

But it all changed when I saw her fallen form. She looked so scared and guilty like she had committed a huge sin. All she did was play.

I wish I knew the name of that song. I wasn’t knowledgeable about classical music nor did I listen to it often. Somehow the curiosity was killing me. I hoped someone back home knew. I just hope I didn’t forget the melody.

With that thought, I pressed harder on the gas accelerating home. As I turned into the underground car park I turned into my usual parking space, got out and rushed for the elevators.

When I opened the doors to our apartment I was greeted by Changmin “Hyung you’re back.”

“Changmin ah, where’s Yoochun?” My best bet in finding the name of the song was Yoochun. He started learning the piano way before us; his knowledge of classical music was vaster.

“Eh? Yoochun hyung. The last I saw him was in work room. Looked like he was trying to compose a new song.”

I quickly rushed to open the work room that he, I and Jaejoong shared. There he was with his eyes closed and his headphones on concentrating. I didn’t really want to disturb him. But I needed his help. “Yoochun ah!”

He got a bit of a shock as I saw his body jerk as I called his name. He straightened himself in his chair and turned to look at me. “Oh Hyung you’re back.”

“Ya Yoochun ah. Do you know what this song is?”

“Bwoh?”

“I can’t remember it exactly but I’ll try.” I saw him focus his gaze on me as I tried my best to hum the song I had heard an hour ago.

When I finished I saw the slight squirm on his face. He didn’t know.

“Hyung is that all of that you know. Another verse maybe?” The problem that was all I heard.

“Ah Yoochun listen carefully this time.” I saw the unsure look on his face but he sat that and waited for me to continue.

“Oh Yunho you’re back.” I turned around to see Jaejoong. He was drying his hair with a towel looks like he just finished his bath. “Your share of dinner is on the table. You need me to heat it up.”

“No. Its fine I’ll do it later.” I answered.

“Oh ok.” He turned to leave the room but he turned back and looked at the two of us. “What are you guys doing.”

Yoochun answered for me “Yunho hyung was asking if I knew a song.”

“A song?” It seemed to peak his interest and he sat down in his usual chair. “I want to hear it.”

“Well I heard it by chance and I just wanted to know the name.” I could feel both sets of eyes on me. I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to let out the first note.

But I was cut short by Changmin shouting from the corridor “Jaejoong hyung!”

“Aish.” This was starting to get irritating. Why do I keep getting interrupted?

“Is there anymore food? I’m still hungry.” He asked as he leaned against the door frame holding his stomach. “Oh hyung what are you guys doing here?”

This was the second time I got interrupted. “Aish Changmin if you keep eating you’re going to grow fat.” You could definitely hear the irritation in my voice.

Jaejoong decided to cut in “Changmin, ignore Yunho. He’s just irritated because he got interrupted. I’ll make something for you later.”

I could see the sparkle in his eyes as if he found something interesting. “What did I interrupt?”

“Yunho was just trying to find out if we knew the name of a song.”

“I want to hear.” He moved himself so he stood behind Jaejoong with his arms resting on the top of his chair.

I calmed myself down and took a deep breath to start trying to remember the first note.

“Changmin ah!”

I just blew it then. “YAH! This is the third time already. How many times must I be interrupted before I can start?”

I saw a shocked Junsu staring at the four of us bewildered. Actually mostly at me. “I was just wondering where Changmin was. He was supposed to play with me after he went to the toilet.”

I couldn’t really get mad at him. So I sat back down and gave a sigh. I could hear the silence in the air as they waited for my reaction. “Nobody had better interrupt me this time.” So I took another deep breath and started. I could see then all watch me intently. Yoochun had that squirm again, Changmin looked like he wanted to laugh, Jaejoong was thinking hard and Junsu just looked confused.

When I was done I just looked at them. Yoochun just shook his head and Changmin just started to laugh “What’s so funny?”

“Hyung you just looked so serious.”

Before I could reply Jaejoong cut me off “Yunho ah its sounds familiar but I just don’t know where I heard it from.”

“Hyung, why are you singing Ave Maria?” I turned to look at where the statement came from. Junsu.

“Junsu how do you know that song. Are you sure of the title?” I asked.

“No wonder it sounds so familiar. I heard it in a church.” Added Jaejoong

“Eh? Its just that when I started to listen to some classical music someone introduced that song to me. Schubert’s Ave Maria. It might be in one of the CDs the fans gave us.”

I got up and went straight for the vast CD collection in our living room. After a good 10 minutes only then did I find a classical CD. I scanned through the track list but there was no sign of the song.

“Hyung!” I heard Yoochun call me.

“What!” I shouted back.

“I found the song online.” I got up and quickly went back to our work room. Everyone was still there. I turned to Yoochun and nodded at him and he pressed play. Soon the room was filled with the tune of Ave Maria. It did have a slightly calming effect on me but the version I had heard earlier tonight was so much more. I just couldn’t describe it. The girl seemed to play with overwhelming emotion.

When it ended, everyone just turned to look at me. I could tell that they had something to ask me. Jaejoong spoke up “Yunho ah, why are you so interested in this song?”

“Eh?”

“You don’t think we are going to let you go without telling us after all the trouble we went through.”

I could only give a half-hearted smile “Well when I went to get the notes I’d left in the recording studio, there was someone there. Even before I entered the room I could hear music being played. It was this song. I went in and I saw her behind the glass playing the violin. I don’t know how or why but I felt like I got into a different world. The music she played was...was...just beautiful.”

“Hyung are you sure it wasn’t a ghost?” asked Junsu.

“Aish Junsu ah why would a ghost be playing Ave Maria.” Rebutted Jaejoong.

“Would a ghost have a handphone and report?” I pulled out the two pieces of evidence from pocket.

“Hyung why did you take her cellphone?” asked Changmin.

“I didn’t take it. She left it there.”

“Why didn’t you give it back?” asked Junsu.

“She ran away before I even found it.”

“Ran away?” all four of them asked at the same time with confused looks on their faces.

“Well she suddenly fell down then when I went to help her up and ask if she was ok, she suddenly looked scared. She got up pushed the violin to me and ran out.”

“So there are other people who are scared of you hyung.” Said Changmin jokingly.

“Yah! Who would be scared of DBSK’s charismatic leader.”

“Says the person from Jeollado” said Jaejoong in a soft voice.

“Yah I can hear you.”

Yoochun stopped me before I could continue. I guess it was to stop a fight from breaking out “Hyung what are you going to do about her cellphone?” I thought about it for a while. Then he continued. “Are you going to do something about that girl? You seem interested in her.”

I was?

“Hyung. Why don’t you ask her to play for DBSK” said Changmin.

“Changmin, why would we need a violinist? She would be more useful if she’s a composer” said Junsu.

“But since Yunho hyung seems to like her so maybe we can find some place for her” added Changmin.

“Yah who says I liked her.”

“But hyung you seem so interested in her. Trying to find out the song she played.”

“I just like the music. Not her.”With that I stormed out of the room.

I headed to the bathroom to take a bath. Seeing as it was the only place I could get some privacy.

I sat in the bathtub thinking about tonight’s events. I tried to remember how she looked like. Despite the darkness, the moonlight shone on her. Her thin form. Her brown eyes. Her pale skin. Her long black hair.

What am I thinking about? I need to stop. I shook my head hoping to push those thoughts out of my head.

The music she produced. It was out of this world. She just drew me in.

I wish the rest of the members could hear her play.

Maybe Changmin was right. I could convince her to play for us. But it wasn’t up to us who our musicians were. Not many of our songs have violin pieces. Maybe she was a composer. If she made something good, I’m quite sure we could use it.

But first I need to return her phone. I don’t think she knew it was me. It was too dark. But just in case maybe I could get manager hyung to help.

When I got out most of the members were doing their own things. Changmin and Junsu were playing games in the living room. Yoochun was listening to music trying to get inspiration for the song he was writing. Jaejoong was just surfing the internet. I went to heat up my dinner. As I waited for the food to finish heating up, I felt a vibration. It was coming from my pocket. Maybe it was manager hyung.

I took the phone out and realised it wasn’t mine. It was hers. She had received one new message from someone called Yoon Jae Jin. I usually wouldn’t do this but I was just curious so I ‘accidentally’ open her message.

“Jae Eun! How’s your first day at work. I hope they didn’t give you too much work to do. Remember to eat your dinner. And if you’re too tired there is no need to bring Haemin out. You spoil him too much already. Call me.”

So it was her first day at work. Who is this Haemin? Was it a guy?

Bing! I was pulled out of my thoughts as the microwave signalled that my food was heated up. I took my tray of food and set it on the table. I just randomly put food in my mouth not really looking. The white phone in my hand was taking most of my attention.

I was bored and curious. So I looked through her phone. She didn’t have many contacts though. Some were overseas numbers. Apparently some of those numbers belonged to her parents. Was she living alone? She couldn’t be, there was still that Haemin guy. She’s still a girl; it isn’t safe to go home alone so late.

I looked through her call list. There were a lot of calls to someone called Taehyun. It was an overseas number too. Her bill must be high.

It wasn’t like me to invade people’s privacy but I was plain curious. I wanted to know who Lee Jae Eun was.

-Next day-

Manager hyung agreed to help me but he wasn’t too happy about it. I guess its because he got stuck with a lot of paper work last night. I made sure I planned this right. I had placed the violin in the meeting room. Hopefully, she would pick it up and play again. Now all I had to do was wait for our manager to call me.

I just stared at my phone hoping it would ring soon. I started to twirl it with my fingers. How long does it take for her to come here.

Suddenly my phone started to ring. I got a shock and I almost dropped my phone because of it. “Hello.”

“She just left.”

“Hyung thanks.” I quickly placed my phone in my pocket and left the room.

I opened the door to the meeting room and saw her standing there as if she was mentally arguing with herself. Her hand reached out to touch the violin but stopped herself. If she wanted to play it, why stop herself.

“If you like it so much why are you stopping yourself?” I saw her turn around ready to say something but as soon as she saw who I was she became speechless. “Are you that blinded after seeing star?” My comment seemed to bring her out of her stupor.

“Why did you call me here?” she asked.

“Didn’t you lose something?” I pulled out her phone from my back pocket.

“Oh thanks.” I saw her stretch out her hand telling me to hand it to her. But if I gave it back to her now I probably would not be able to see her again. I couldn’t simply give it back to her.

I pretended I didn’t see her hand and walked to the other side of the table and sat down. I stared at her and said “I hope you don’t expect to get this back just like that.” She raised an eyebrow in confusion. “I want you to play for DBSK.”

“Play?”

I pointed to the instrument in front of me and said “The violin.”

“Eh?”

“Last night. You played it didn’t you. I want you to play for DBSK.”

She looked at me as if I was trying to play a prank on her. “I'm sorry but firstly why would you need a violinist? Secondly aren’t there people who could do this instead of me? Thirdly, that is a big request in return for my phone. Lastly, I don’t play.”

I gave a smirk. “Aren’t you contradicting yourself? If you aren’t then what was last night.”

“Last night was just a moment of folly.”

If asking her didn’t work, maybe charming her would. So I went around the table and stood in front of her placing but my hands on the table at her sides trapping her so she wouldn’t escape. Then I bent down and whispered in her ear. “Then why don’t you fall back into that moment of weakness again.”

She turned her head away from me unable to meet my gaze. I could see the blush on her cheeks. There wasn’t anyone who could resist my charms. Now all I had to do was wait for her to say yes.

I waited but there was no reaction from her. She must have gone speechless. I was about to speak when suddenly she pushed me. Luckily I managed to prevent myself from falling. “Yah! What do you think you’re doing?”

I saw her smile and she showed me the white phone in her hand. How the heck did she get it. I couldn’t believe it. I turned and checked my back pocket but it wasn’t there.

“Looks like your bargaining chip is gone.” Damn what am I going to do now. “If you’re smart enough you’ll find out why I don’t play. Better still don’t bother me anymore.”

She was leaving I had to say something. “Yah! Lee Jae Eun this isn’t the last you’ve heard from me. You better watch out.”

When she left I just sat there thinking what did she mean by telling me to find out why she didn’t play. Would I be able to? What was with this woman? Why do I want to know more about her?