Chapter 7: The Kinds of Affection

REPLAY 2010

 

 

ONE: The First Love.

 

SEPTEMBER 2010. It was a rainy night when JB and the rest of the team (well, except for Mark, who went home earlier) went back from the Opening ceremony of the basketball inter-highschool tournament. Yeeun welcomed her eldest, cupped his face and kissed him endlessly like a little boy. JB was flustered, but he gave his dad a big man hug.

Yeeun: My baby..

JB: Eommoni! I'm not.. a baby anymore..

Seulong: Aish, Jagiya, why are treating our son a baby?! He's a man now, okay?!

Yeeun: For me at least, he is still a baby.

Jinyoung: Annyeonghaseyo, Aunt Yeeun, Uncle Ong.

Yeeun: Woah, is this Jinyoung? Our little Junior?

Jinyoung was embarrassed.

Mark: Ju.. Junior?

Seulong: Yup. Jinyoung's name Park Jinyoung is the same as the JYP High's Head master's name. He's Yeeun's dad. Since Yeeun and Yubin, Jinyoung's mom, are like best of friends, she named Jinyoung after Yeeun's father. So we call him Junior... and wait a sec.. you are?

Nayeon: Ah! Appa! He's Mark, he lives in the Blue house with us... he's.. uhh.. Taiwanese. But he's from LA.

Seulong: Ohh, LA? You speak english?

Mark: Yes. (Blank face) How are you? (Offers hand) I'm Mark Tuan, 21 years old. I'm 175cm, blood type A, year of the rooster. Nice meeting you.

Yeeun: (Chuckled) I never know people in LA greet that way. (Laughs)

Mark was confused. People in LA don't greet like that, it's just him and his awkward self. It's his own way. The truth is he's nervous and shy and all to meet Nayeon's parents that his face is so red now and his hands are cold as ice. He wanted to leave a good impression but it seems that he just embarrassed himself in front of them. He was relieved when he saw Nayeon laughed a little.

They are on their way up in the Blue house when Nayeon purposely nudged Mark.

Nayeon: 21? I thought you're only 20.

Mark: I uhh.. I just turned 21.

Nayeon: Eh? When?

Mark: September 4th actually.

Nayeon: What the? Why didn't you tell me? I should've greeted you that day. Are you really that dumb?

Mark: Ya. Why do you go around calling people dumb? I'm still 2 years older than you.

Nayeon: But still.. You should've told anyone so... so.. we can celebrate it.

Mark: I don't really celebrate on my birthday..

Nayeon: Why?

Mark: It's nothing special. It's just an ordinary day, and what's worse is I'm getting older when it comes. So I think there's no big deal.

Nayeon: What kind of perspective is that?

Mark: Nothing, just.. it just happened to become a habit, I think.

Nayeon: So when is the last time you celebrated your birthday?

Mark: Hmm.. About.. 14 years ago? (Paused) It's actually the... the day.. my dad died.

Nayeon: (Surprised) I'm... I'm sorry...

Mark: No.. (Smiles) don't be.

Since that revelation, Nayeon started being friendlier to Mark. Well, she teases him still but they become closer each day. Mark opened up to Nayeon alot and enjoyed being with her. Nayeon also realized that the more she knows something about Mark, the more she becomes comfortable around him.

 

OCTOBER 2010. It was 12 o'clock when Nayeon carefully went out of her room and went to the kitchen. She took a box from the ref, it was a cake, and she lit some candles on top of it. She told the others beforehand that they will throw Mark a surprise birthday party, so while the others are hiding, Nayeon called Mark through her phone.

Mark: (Woke up) Hello? Nayeon-ssi?

Nayeon: Mark-ssi! Please come out, I think I accidentally fired up the kitchen! Come out, please! (Hang up)

Mark: Wh -- What?! Nayeon-ssi?! Hello, Nayeon-ssi?! Aish, this girl really! (Ran out of his room) Nayeon-ssi, where --

Everyone: Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, Dear Markeu. Happy birthday to you!

Nayeon is the one holding the cake. Mark was surprised, he was tricked! He doesn't know what to say. It's the first time that he ever got a surprise from friends. He was left speechless.

Chaeyoung: Ya, Oppa! You should've told us your birthday was last month.

Jackson: Actually... I also forgot about it since you never celebrated yours. Sorry, bro.

Dahyun: It's not September anymore but at least it's the 4th of the month now.

JB: Yah, are you not saying anything?

Jinyoung: We stayed up all night planning for this, so don't disappoint us.

Jungyeon: Ya! Ya! Ya! These bullies. Let's wait for Oppa to react, can we?

Nayeon: Mark-ssi?

Mark just looked straight to Nayeon. The candles are now waiting for him to be blown but he just looked at Nayeon. His eyes are getting filled with tears right now, but still no words are coming out of his mouth. He then closed his eyes then blew the candles off while a tear fell from his eye. The others then proceed on eating their midnight "snacks" while Mark went over the balcony. Nayeon approached him with a slice of cake on her plate.

Nayeon: You want? (Offers Mark a bite)

Mark opened his mouth but Nayeon directed the cake on instead.

Nayeon: (Chews) This is really good. You want some? (Offers him again)

Mark opened his mouth for the second time, and still, Nayeon tricked him again and ate it instead. Nayeon laughed at Mark's blank space. He wasn't laughing nor pissed.

Nayeon: Ya.. Here.. (Offers another piece of the cake) I promise I won't eat it again.

Mark again opened his mouth, and this time, Nayeon put the cake in his mouth.

Nayeon: Delicious, right?

Mark only nodded.

Nayeon: Mark-ssi.. Can you tell me what you wished for?

Mark: I didn't... I just... thank God that I... I got the chance to meet you --

Mark and Nayeon stared on each others' eyes... They got really awkward so Mark restated his words..

Mark: You... I mean, you guys... I'm so happy I met friends like you all..

Nayeon: Oh.. I see.. Since you didn't make a wish, can I make a wish for you?

Mark: Of course.

Nayeon closed her eyes and made her wish. She then opened her eyes and saw how curious Mark was.

Mark: What was your wish?

Nayeon: I wished... that you move on from the heartbreak and guilt you had, so you can finally celebrate your upcoming birthdays happily.

Mark was surprised at Nayeon's sincerity.

Nayeon: I know you feel like celebrating on your birthday is like disrespecting your dad. But.. Mark.. I believe your dad wants you to be happy on your day too. He probably feels sad seeing you this way.

Mark feels like tearing up.

Nayeon: Promise me.. that this year's birthday would be the last one that you're sad. Promise me, that you will be happy during your birthdays, no matter what, starting now. Okay? Promise me. (Lifted up her pinky)

Mark: (Chuckled) I promise.

Nayeon: Cross it!

Mark then gave her a pinky promise and smiled embarrassingly. To her surprise, Mark suddenly pulled her into his arms and hugged her.

Mark: Nayeon-ah.. Thank you.. for doing this.

Nayeon hugged him back slowly as she felt that they are breathing in sync. Her heartbeat was again doubling its rate especially when she felt Mark hand caressed her hair. At that very moment, she finally understood why she felt something different since the day they first met, why she cared so much for him, why she can't get mad at him for long. That's when she realized that she is indeed falling in love with Mark.

 

 

TWO: The Puppy Love.

 

OCTOBER 2010. After the team's third match, an important event was scheduled to be held. October is the school's foundation month. Alot of programs and special preparations are planned to be executed. JB had been busy ever since. After classes, he would go directly to the student council meetings then proceed to basketball practice after. He even skipped meals to do paper works and other reservations. He would even stay late in the council room just to finished some tasks.

Sana: Sunbaenim, it's past 8 o'clock already, aren't you going home?

JB: I still have to retype these announcements. The principal asked me to make some revisions.

Sana: He's your grandfather but he sure doesn't favor anyone.

JB: (Smiles) Well, let's just say that's his personality. He's picky. (Laughs)

A knock was heard and the door opened.

Jackson: Hi. (Bows)

Sana: H.. Hi..

JB: Oh, Jackson-ah. Is the practice finished already?

Jackson: Ne. (Awkwardly avoids Sana) What is this? Aren't you done yet?

JB: Sorry, I got to finish this by tonight and email this to the principal. Oh, you two can go first.

Jackson & Sana: Eh?

Sana: Ahh... Aniyo, sunbaenim, my driver is on his way now.

JB: Is that so? He can walk you to the parking lot, then.

Jackson: (Flustered) Do you.. Do you mind?

Sana shyly nodded and the two walked their way out of the room. JB is busy but he also intended to that so Jackson and Sana can spend some time alone together. He knew both have feelings for each other anyway. That night, JB got home at around 10:30 already. He was about to use his keys when Dahyun suddenly opened the door.

Dahyun: Oppa..

JB: Oh, Dahyunnie. Why aren't you sleeping yet?

Dahyun: I... uh... (I waited for you.. that's what I wanted to say) I... I can't sleep. So I wanted to walk around the neighborhood.

JB: It's late now and it's dangerous. Do you want me to accompany you?

Dahyun: Huh? Ahh, ani. You don't need to. In fact, I think I can just watch a movie or show, instead.

JB: Okay.

JB went directly to his room. He changed clothes and was about to sleep but he went out of his room again to check on Dahyun. He walked towards her and patted her head.

JB: What are you watching?

Dahyun: Nothing, just MTV. Music.

JB then sat beside her and laid his head on Dahyun's shoulder. Dahyun was a bit shocked.

JB: You really love listening to music, don't you?

Dahyun: I... Yeah..

JB: I also used to like music. (Sigh) But I guess it doesn't like me as much as I do.

Dahyun: Oppa..

JB: Hmm?

Dahyun: I... (Dahyun looked down to avoid JB's stare) I... I think...

Before she can continue what she wanted to say, Dahyun looked at JB but realized that he already fell asleep.

Dahyun: I think I... I think I like you, Oppa.

 

 

THREE: The Obsession.

 

NOVEMBER 2010. It was lunch time already. Dahyun was day dreaming. There's something different about her nowadays. She's now wearing contact lenses instead of her thick old glasses. She uses a shoulder bag now instead of her old stuffed back pack.. She's seemed to put on foundation, but just light. She's allergic with too much makeup anyway.

Jiwon: Ya! Dahyun-ah! Why are you blooming lately?

Dahyun: Eh? Uhh, no reason. There's nothing wrong with trying something different, right?

Minyoung: Special delivery! Special delivery! (Runs with a couple of roses on her hand) Step aside, please!

Somi: Oh? What's that?

Minyoung: Dahyun-ah, it's for you.

Dahyun: Me? Really?

Chaeyoung: (Took the card attached to it) "You're as pretty as these roses. - Kim Wonpil" Kim Wonpil? Day6's Wonpil?

Somi: Dahyunnie got herself an admirer! Yihee!

Jiwon: How did you know Wonpil sunbaenim?

Dahyun: I don't know him.

Chaeyoung: He's Day6's pianist. Hey, remember that guy who offered his seat to you in the bus when we're on our way to school? First day? That's Wonpil.

Dahyun: I... kinda.. well, I don't actually remember... Ahh... That guy with a keyboard. Ahh..

Minyoung: He asked me to give this to you. And he asked if you're free tomorrow.

Dahyun: What? Wait, that escalated quickly.

Chaeyoung: (Sighs and pouts) At least you've got someone who likes you.

Dahyun: Likes me? I think he's just being friendly, Chaeyoungie. I doubt it's serious. Oh, right! I can't, the 5th game is tomorrow!

Chaeyoung: Oh! Thanks for reminding me. I'll bring my baby camera then. I hope I can take a lot of Yuggie's side profiles.

Dahyun: Aish, this girl. There's alot of good boys out there, why settle with someone like that snub?!

Chaeyoung: It's okay. I'm happy with it.

The next day after class, Dahyun and Chaeyoung went directly to the venue of the 5th match. The audience are already cheering even though the game hasn't started yet. Well, Chaeyoung is screaming for Yugyeom's name, as usual.

Dahyun: Ya, what exactly do you see in my brother?

Chaeyoung: Why are suddenly asking that?

Dahyun: He's arrogant and snub. And I think he likes someone else already.

Chaeyoung: WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY?! (Fiercely asked)

Dahyun: (Shocked) Uhh, nothing. I just think that.. I mean --

Chaeyoung: Is it that cheerleader named Joy? Or that model like girl named Sowon?! Or that someone who was linked to him... That... That japanese Mina?

Dahyun: Mina-sunbaenim? No, of course. She's Nayeon and Jungyeon's classmate and I heard she's engaged to Brian-sunbaenim already.

Chaeyoung: Really?! Engaged?! Brian-sunbae?!

Dahyun: I don't know if it's true though. I just heard it during the dance practice. Others are gossiping about it behind Mina-sunbae's back. I feel bad for her. I also heard they are not in good terms.

Chaeyoung: I should ask Nayeon-unnie about these rumors. She should know something since she's connected to them both. Oh! Yuggie scored again! Aish, don't talk to me okay?! I missed it because of you!

Dahyun: Ya! Ya! I told you to respect me! I'm older than you! Why do you keep on taking pictures of him? I can give you lots of pictures even childhood pictures of Yugyeom, okay?! Jeez this girl!

JYP High once again won the match. Dahyun and Chaeyoung went over the team's side to congratulate them. Yugyeom was talking to two girls. It's the first time Chaeyoung saw Yugyeom smile so brightly so she looked surprised.

Dahyun: Good game, sunbaes!

Jinyoung: Oh, Dahyun's here. Are you with Chaeyoung?

Dahyun: Ne, sunbae.

Jackson: Woah, Dahyun is getting prettier these days. Are you dating already?

Dahyun: Ani, sunbae. (Flustered)

Jackson: Ya, why do you keep on using honorifics towards us. Call us Oppa too like you do to JB-hyung. Are you following Nayeon's footsteps already?!

JB: Ya, why are you bullying Dahyun? These kids, really.

Dahyun: It's okay, Oppa. They are just joking around. Haha.

Mark: Dahyunnie so pretty today, right? You came to cheer on Mark-oppa, right?

Dahyun: (Disgusted) I'm not Nayeon-unnie, Oppa.

Mark was surprised at Dahyun's comeback. He didn't expect Dahyun to bring up Nayeon, now he was silent.

Jackson: HAHAHA. Woah! Dahyun sure learned to fight now, eh?

Chaeyoung: Well, let's just say I'm her master.

JB: And why would Nayeon cheer on Mark?

Mark: It's nothing, JB. We are just joking around.

Jackson: Then why are you turning red?

Mark: I'm not!

Jinyoung just sat there and faked some laughs when the others continue on teasing Mark. 

Dahyun: Oh! (Turned to Yugyeom) Oh! Is that Yerin and Jimin?

Chaeyoung: Yerin?

Dahyun: Yup, she's Kang Yerin. Brian-sunbae's younger sister and Yugyeom's closest friend from Middle school. She's in 1B.

Chaeyoung: I haven't seen or heard about her..

Dahyun: 'Cause she hates attention and likes a low profile. Yugyeom maybe invited her to watch the game.

Chaeyoung: Ahh..

Dahyun: Come! (Held Chaeyoung's wrist) I'll introduce you.

Chaeyoung: Ahh, ani Dahyun-ah..

But Dahyun's grip was too strong and Chaeyoung was dragged easily.

Dahyun: Yerin-ah!

Yerin: Oh, Dahyunnie. You're here too.

Jimin: Woah, you look good Kim Dahyun!

Chaeyoung glanced over at Yugyeom who looked pissed when Dahyun interrupted his conversation with Yerin.

Dahyun: Thanks. This is my friend, Yoo Chaeyoung. She's in 1A too.

Jimin: Annyeong! I'm Park Jimin!

Dahyun: She's Sungjin-sunbae's younger sister. You listen to Day6, right?

Chaeyoung: Ahh, ne. Annyeong.

Yerin: Nice meeting you, I'm Kang Yerin.

Jimin: Oh! You're that photographer right? I saw some blogs of yours and it's filled with Yugyeom's pictures.

Chaeyoung: Ahh, ani. It just happened that I was able to have great shots of him. I'm in the Art Club so I like taking pictures and paintings..

Jimin: Ah, you're in the Art Club too. You must be so talented. Yugyeom should be proud to have a talented fan like you.

Chaeyoung shyly smiled at Jimin. Bambam then joined them.

Bambam: Hey guys! So glad you came!

Jimin: It's Yugyeom who begged, not you.

Bambam: But still you came. Haha. Oh, Yerin is also here? (Nudged Yugyeom)

Yerin: I think we should go now. I still have voice lessons in an hour.

Yugyeom: Is that so? I'll walk you out then.

Yerin: You don't have to, Gyeom-ah. (Looks at Chaeyoung) Congratulations by the way. See ya.

Jimin: Bye, guys. Nice meeting you again, Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung bowed to them as they walk away. Yugyeom just stared at the two and then quickly turned and walked towards the locker room. Chaeyoung was bothered. It's the first time she saw Yugyeom smile and talk comfortably with a girl.

Dahyun: Let's go?

Chaeyoung: Huh? Oh, okay.

The boys gathered for a small celebration. Yugyeom was forced to treat them drinks since his birthday (and Dahyun's too) is in 2 weeks. Dahyun and Chaeyoung decided to go home ahead since they are not allowed to drink yet. On their way home, Dahyun noticed that Chaeyoung is quiet and sighed alot.

Dahyun: What's wrong, Chaeyoungie?

Chaeyoung: What else? It's Yugyeom.

Dahyun: You must be surprised that we are twins, right? He's tall, I'm not. He's popular, I'm not. He's fit, I look like a potato.

Chaeyoung: It's not that. I mean.. He looked so happy earlier with... Yerin.

Dahyun: Oh.. So you also see it too?

Chaeyoung: Huh?

Dahyun: I used to believe I just overthink. But he's not like that to anybody. He only acts like that whenever he's with Yerin.

Chaeyoung: So that someone you think Kim Yugyeom likes... is Kang Yerin?

Dahyun: Ever since Middle School, I have a feeling that my brother likes her... So you felt it too, huh? But who knows? Maybe we're really just overthinking.

Chaeyoung: I know it, he likes her..

Dahyun: How?

Chaeyoung: It's the way other people look at the person they cherish the most.

Dahyun: (Startled) You... What?

Chaeyoung: I see that when you look at JB-oppa, and that's how he used to looked at Jungyeon-unnie too before. It's also the way Mark-oppa or even Jinyoung-oppa look at Nayeon-unnie...

Dahyun was surprised at Chaeyoung's observations.

Chaeyoung: He likes Yerin... No matter how I try to deny it. Or no matter how I try to edit it in my memory, it's the truth...

He likes her...