Chapter 11: The Dance

REPLAY 2010

 

Mark grabbed Tzuyu by her jacket and brought her back to the White house. She acted like a puppy when she saw Jackson.

Tzuyu: Jackson, save me. Please?

Jackson: I don't know, Tzuyu. He's your brother, not me.

Mark: Now can you please tell me why you are here?

Tzuyu: I didn't come here to see you, I came to look for Jackson.

The boys whistled, screamed and teased Jackson around upon Tzuyu's statement. Of course, who wouldn't? Tzuyu is pretty and tall with a model-like feature. The boys are like rabid dogs looking at her now.

Mark: Ya! Ya! Watch your eyes or I'm gonna pull all your eyeballs out!

Mark threatened s.

Jungyeon: So, Tzuyu. How old are you?

Tzuyu: I'm 17.

Nayeon: 17?!

Chaeyoung: We're same age?!

Dahyun: HAHAHA! But you'll look like a dwarf beside her!

Chaeyoung: Look who's talking! You'll probably look like a potato though!

Dahyun: What?!

Tzuyu: What?

Nayeon: Ahhh -- Nothing. They're just happy to see you.

Tzuyu: So... Are you the landlady here? Mrs. Kim Yubin? Quite impressive, you look too young to be married.

Nayeon: What?

Tzuyu: Oh, are you not?

Mark: Ahh, hahaha. Tzuyu, these are my friends. Here's Jinyoung, he owns this house. She's Mrs. Kim Yubin's son. This is Nayeon, not Kim Yubin, okay? Nayeon. Im Nayeon. This one is JB, Nayeon's elder brother. He owns the house next door where I stay.

Tzuyu: So you're not Kim Yubin?

Nayeon: Seriously, this kid is getting on my nerves.

Everyone laughed while Nayeon is getting frustrated over Tzuyu.

Tzuyu: Sorry. (Laughs)

Jinyoung: (Laughs) That's okay, she's quite used to being mistaken as old.

Nayeon: Ya!

Mark: Sorry, sorry. (Grabs Tzuyu away) Hey, come here.

Mark pulled Tzuyu away from the group, and talked to her in private.

Mark: Really, what are you doing here?

Tzuyu: I... I ran away.

Mark: What? What are you even thinking?! Why did you leave Mom?

Tzuyu: Why? Are you the only one who can leave?

Mark: Look. I'm an adult now, I can live on my own, but not you! I mean look at yourself! You won't last a day alone.

Tzuyu: I will, if you help me.

Mark: What?! You're too old now for me to baby-sit you! What are planning then, stay here?

Tzuyu: I wanted to talk to mom, but you know she's too busy to even care for us. Grandpapi stepped down now, and mom is currently the CEO, and we don't even see each other for almost a month already.

Mark: Is it that bad now?

Tzuyu: Yeah. And I can't stand it, Mark. If we don't even act like mom and daughter, might as well ran away.

Mark: Mom has been through a lot. You know she's not like that.

Tzuyu: Yeah, how will I know? We basically grew up with Grandpapi and Grandmommy. She has never been a mom to me.

Mark understood what Tzuyu felt at that moment. Since their Dad died, their Mom hasn't shown any affection to them. And he pities Tzuyu more, 'cause she was just a baby back then.

Mark: Alright. I'll try to ask JB if you can stay.

Tzuyu: Yey! So is the room big?

Mark: Tzuyu, it's a boarding house, not a mansion, okay? And you'll gonna have roommates.

Tzuyu: Alright! Cool! I always wanted to have roomies!

Mark: But! But! If mom ever calls and looks for you... I cannot help you anymore.

Tzuyu: Fine.

 


A week before the start of Christmas vacation, the Drama club was scheduled to present a play for the opening program once the school starts again next year. It is a play that will involve dancing and singing, that's why they recruited the Dance club too.

Jinyoung: Okay, here's our script. So we'll be re-enacting the movie High School Musical 3. It's fresh, it's romantic, and it's a perfect eye-candy for audience.

Jae: It's gonna be lit!

Jungyeon: So how do we assign roles for this thing?

Jinyoung: Any volunteers? Come on, any suggestions?

Jihyo: Hmm, since we will do collaboration with the Dance club, can we include them for roles? We lack members anyway.

Jinyoung: That's if it's okay with them.

Momo: It's fine, actually.

Mina: But Unnie?

Momo: What? HSM is a light one, isn't it?

Sana: I think it's a good one.

Jinyoung: No one? Still no volunteers?

Jungyeon: Why can't you take the main role, then. You're the president anyway.

Jinyoung: I can't, I should be the one monitoring and directing the flow of the play. And besides I'm still in these crutches.

Jungyeon: I can direct the play.

Jihyo: Yeah, and also the play is gonna be next year, after the break. You'll be recovered already by then.

Jinyoung: Okay if no one volunteers then fine, I'll take the main role. So for Gabriella's, who wants to try?

Jihyo: I think Nayeon fits the role.

Nayeon: Eh?!

Sana: Yeah, I think so too.

Nayeon: Why me? Why not you? You're a great singer!

Jihyo: Ya! I don't have the lead role factor with me. I'm more of... villain type. And you can sing too by the way!

Sungjin: Good, so you can be Sharpay.

Jihyo: Errr... Okay, fine, as long as I'm not the lead star!

Jungyeon: And you Sungjin-oppa will be Lucas! Great, the lead cast are set!

Nayeon: Hey, wait, that's unfair! I'm new to this, why not choose Jungyeon instead?! I can do the monitoring stuff!

Jungyeon: Ya, I'm fitted more to be a Troy not Gabriella. And hello? Jinyoung's my cousin, that would be AWK.

Nayeon: (Loud sigh) This is unfair.... Err... Alright. I'll try. But if I fail I won't do it.

 

 

Days passed by and the drama club (featuring dance club) are now busy rehearsing for the play. Christmas break has started and since there are no classes anymore, Jinyoung managed to request scheduled practices during the break. As they go on rehearsing their lines, Nayeon gets all nervous and isn't able to concentrate. As well as the dance part. She and Jinyoung are supposed to have a dance scene but she's too nervous. Momo is the one who made the choreography and she guided Nayeon and danced with her since Jinyoung can't do it yet. Despite Momo being a girl, Nayeon is still so awkward and nervous, making her stumble alot.

Jinyoung: Ya!

Jinyoung finally had it and he blurted out his frustration to Nayeon. Nayeon bit her lip and apologized to Jinyoung.

Nayeon: I told you I can't do it.

Jinyoung: (Sighs) It's not -- You should focus, okay? Internalize and think of what your character is supposed to feel at that scene.

Momo: Yo, Mark. Come here.

Mark: Me? Eh? Why?

Momo: Dance with Nayeon. We practiced it earlier, right? Can you still remember it?

Mark: Huh? Ahh --

Momo: Jinyoung is still recovering.

Mark nervously looked at Nayeon and Jinyoung.

Mark: (Scratched his hair) Momo-ssi --

Momo: Okay! (Grabs Mark towards Nayeon)

Mark looked at Jinyoung, asking for approval. Jinyoung just nodded without looking at them and played the music. Mark nervously approached Nayeon and held her.

Nayeon: Ya... In this case, you're more nervous than me. Don't do this, I'm shaking.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi..

Nayeon: Ne?

Mark: Close your eyes..

Nayeon: Eh?

Mark: Just close your eyes this time, and feel the music. You're not Nayeon now, you're Gabriella. And you're in love with Troy. And he's holding you now.

Nayeon closed her eyes and tried to remember the steps Momo taught her. Mark guided her gently and carefully. She then felt comfortable and slowly feels the music and emotions of the song. Mark smiles as he looks at her, eyes still closed. And when the song is near the end, Mark uttered and sang the last line..

Mark: Can I have this dance?

Nayeon opened her eyes and stared at Mark's.

Mark: Can I have this dance?

Nayeon smiled. Not because she finds Mark's deep voice bad, but because she now felt what the character is supposed to feel at that scene. Jinyoung turned off the music and smiled at them both. Well, not the most sincere one he has. Mark then let go of Nayeon and went back to where Momo stands.

Momo: Great! That's great! See? I told you you can do it! Thanks, Mark!

Mark: It's nothing.

Mark awkwardly left the room. Nayeon looked at him worriedly.

Jinyoung: Alright. Let's continue this later. Where the heck is Jungyeon? I thought she's into this directing part.

Momo: She's on her way now. She texted me that she'll be late.

Jinyoung: Let's take a break for a while. We'll continue when Jungyeon arrives.

 

 

Momo went to back to the dance club's side where Mina, Sana, Dahyun, Mark, Jackson, Bambam and Yugyeom are.

Momo: Have you finished working on the choreo?

Yugyeom: Not yet. I mean, Bam and I finished the other choreo but not the ball scene.

Bambam: He refused to worked it with me cause he said it's awkward to have me as partner! Blame him!

Momo: You can ask any of the girls. Isn't Dahyun your sister?

Sana: Really?

Mina: You're siblings?

Mark: I can't believe no one else knows this. (Laughs)

Jackson: Ya, you knew and you never told me?

Mark: Ya, I'm not a chatterbox.

Sana: So you two are really brother and sister?

Dahyun: Yeah.

Yugyeom: We're twins.

Jackson: What?! What?!

Momo: Oh shut it! Let's move on and partner up for the ball scene. Boys?

Bambam: I wanna partner up with the female Yugyeom. Dahyun-ssi?

Dahyun: Oh... Okay?

Jackson: Sana-ssi.. Would you be my partner?

Sana: Oh.. Sure.

Momo: Okay, I'll take Yugyeom since we'll be leading the steps. Mark, Mina, partner up.

Mina blushed at the thought of having Mark as her partner.

Bambam: Can we do this later? I didn't get to eat breakfast today.

Momo: Alright.

Yugyeom: Hyung, are you not going with us?

Jackson: Wait..

Jackson went over to Sana and asked her if she wanted to eat lunch with them.

Sana: Sure. Mina?

Mina: Don't mind me, I'm not yet hungry.

Momo: As usual, Mina. Hey, where do you plan to eat?

Yugyeom: There's a newly-opened restaurant right at the corner.

Bambam: I heard the food is really good, especially the marinated shrimps and jokbal.

Momo: J... Jokbal?!

Sana: (Laughs) Momo loves Jokbal the most.

Momo: Come on guys, whether you like it or not, I'm coming with you! (Momo grabs Yugyeom and Bambam)

Bambam: Hey wait! Mark-hyung!

Mark just laughed at the sight of his friends.

Mark: Just go. (Laughs) I think I still need to practice. Just buy me a burger, thanks!

Mark waved as his friends walk away. Mina and Mark are the only ones left in the room. Mina can't contain her nervousness when Mark suddenly poked her.

Mark: Are you okay?

Mina: Y..Yes, I'm fine.

Mark: Is it alright if.. if you teach me the dance you practiced earlier? When I was not around?

Mina: I...

Mina hesitated.

Mark: (Laughs) Oh, sorry. It's alright if you don't like. No hard feelings.

Mina: No.. I mean.. It's okay, really. Maybe I was just... a bit surpised.

Mark: Oh.

Mina: Sorry, I'm a really awkward person and it takes time for me to get comfortable with someone.

Mark: Me too. Haha! Well, we should work on that since we are partners, right?

Mina: Yeah.

Mark: So...

Mina smiled and stood up. Mark gently offered his hand and Mina held him.

Mark: Do I have to hold you here (waist)?

Mina: Ahh... Yeah... Actually --

Mark gently placed his right hand on Mina's waist, and it made her flustered alot.

Mark: Is this okay?

Mina: Yeah, I...

Mark: Are you okay? Are you still uncomfortable?

Mina: (Smiles) I'll get used to it.

Mark: Just tell me if I'm not doing it right. (Smiles)

Mina smiled the brightest when they practiced their ball scene. Mark was able to catch up fast and they are really having a great time with each other. Jungyeon suddenly showed up as Mark and Mina are about to finish rehearsing.

Jungyeon: Where's Nayeon?

Mark: Eh? She's in the auditorium with the other casts.

Jungyeon: That's weird. I saw her on her way here.

Mina: Really?

Jungyeon: Yeah. Ahh, sorry if I interrupted your --

Mark: Ah, no. No.. We're just practicing the choreo for the play.

Jungyeon: Ohh.. Okay I'll leave you then.

Just when Jungyeon was about to reach the next room, Mark ran after her.

Mark: Jungyeon-ssi! Wait!

Jungyeon: Oh?

Mark: Did Nayeon really.. went to the room?

Jungyeon: I'm pretty sure since Jihyo told me she's going to clarify from Momo some steps for the dance.

Mark: Can you please... I mean... If you see her... Please tell her --- No. Nevermind.

Jungyeon: Hey, what is it?

Mark: Nothing. If you see her, tell her Momo is having her lunch now so she'll probably  be back later. And... Please give her this.

Mark gave Jungyeon a pack of lunch he bought a while ago. He couldn't give it to Nayeon personally earlier since he had no guts to talk to her these days.

Jungyeon: Are you two really still not talking? What exactly happened to you?

Mark: We.. I.. Just give it to her. Don't tell her it's from me. If she doesn't like it, you can have it.

Jungyeon: Ya, what do you think of me, a pig? You owe me explanation, Mark Tuan.

Mark: I'll tell you when we finally talk.

Jungyeon: Okay. Thanks for the lunch. (Walks away)

 

 

JUNGYEON'S POV

I'm really curious about what happened to Mark and Nayeon. They are not quite in good terms these days. Mark doesn't usually follow her around lately and Nayeon starts to ignore it. It's weird.

Jinyoung: Oh, Jungyeonnie. You just arrived now?

Nayeon: Come, let's eat lunch.

I sat on the table where Jinyoung-oppa and Nayeon eat their lunches. Now that I think of it, Mark and Nayeon became an problem when Jinyoung-oppa had that accident. Wait, is this jealousy?

Jinyoung: Oh, you brought your own food. That's a first.

Jungyeon: Actually it's not mine.

Jinyoung: What are talking about? Come on, let's eat.

I probably can't tell right now that Mark gave this lunch for Nayeon. It would cause a little tension. To be honest, I can also sense that Jinyoung-oppa is trying to show some bizarre affection towards Nayeon these days, and I find it weird. I don't know. I'm really not a fan of friends-turning-lovers kind of thing. Why would he like Nayeon just now? 

Nayeon: Jungie, are you really not eating that?

Jungyeon: Huh? Ahh, I am. I will..

Okay, I can just tell Mark that Nayeon already had lunch. Right. But will I still tell Nayeon about it? I'm not sure. I'm torn.

After the rehearsal, I find it charming that Nayeon is pretty into her character now. I'm happy she's working hard for it. That's it! That's my cue! I should tell her about Mark. She's my bestfriend and she deserves the truth.

Jungyeon: Hey Nayeon.

Nayeon: (Still reading her script) Hmm?

Jungyeon: I need to tell you something.

Nayeon: What is it?

Jungyeon: About earlier.. That lunch I brought..

Nayeon: Yeah?

Jungyeon: It's actually for you.

Nayeon: (Raised her brow) For me? But why didn't you gave it to me?

Jungyeon: It's from Mark.

Nayeon was surprised.

Jungyeon: I couldn't tell you earlier because --

Nayeon: Is he still in the dance room?

Jungyeon: He was but I'm not sure if --

Nayeon, with all her might, ran towards the dance room. I rolled my eyes but still followed her. When I reached the room, it was already empty, and Nayeon was there at the corner.

Nayeon: Jungyeon-ah..

Jungyeon: Ne?

Nayeon: I think I kinda like Mark..

Jungyeon: Huh?

Nayeon: (Faced Jungyeon, all serious) I've been trying to avoid it, and ignore these strange feelings... I don't know when.. Or how.. I.. I can't stop thinking about him these days even if we see each other everyday, even if we don't talk as much.. (Teary) I'm scared Jungie.. I'm scared he might not feel the same way.. But I don't think I can stand not talking to him anymore.. It hurts to see him laughing with Mina and being sweet around her when he won't even smile at me.. What should I do? What if we can't go back to what we were before? I'm scared of losing him..

Jungyeon: Hey, come here. (Hugs Nayeon) Why don't you talk to him? Be the man if he can't be one.

Nayeon: But he avoids me like I'm a sort of plague.

Jungyeon: Ya, you two see each other everyday, live together in one roof and you can't figure out a way to confront him? Jesus. Are you that lame?

Nayeon started to cry again so I hugged her more and hushed her. Yeah, that's a first. My bestfriend finally likes someone now. Nayeon and I decided to go home after she rehearsed her scenes. Jinyoung-oppa is still currently practicing with Jihyo and Sungjin. Jackson and Dahyunnie probably went home with Mark earlier. When we reached to bus stop, we saw Mark hurriedly ran towards us.

Mark: Nayeon-ssi, are you okay? (Pants and checks out Nayeon) Are you hurt somewhere?

Nayeon is all confused now while I'm laughing beside her.

Mark: Where did you fell? Are you really not hurt? Huh?

Nayeon: What are you saying? Fell? Who fell?

Mark: Jungyeon called me and said you had an accident --

Nayeon: Jungie?!

Jungyeon: (Took her phone) Opps, sorry guys! Have to go. Girlfriend duties!

Nayeon: Eh?!

Jungyeon: Bye! Ya, Mark, take good care of my bestfriend! Okay? Bye!

And so I finally made my exit. Well, it's not totally a lie. Jae-oppa and I are really meeting each other after his jamming sessions. Well, I do called Mark and said that made-up story since I really wanted them to talk and it seems like no one is making a move. So there. They really should thank me after this.