Chapter 16: The Dilemma

REPLAY 2010

Valentine's Day came, a perfect day for couples. The streets are full of vendors selling heart-shaped balloons, roses, chocolates and more. Mostly girls are the ones busy buying, since Valentine's in Korea is the day when the girls and women give chocolate to the boys or men they like as a sign of affection. Even before Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Mark reach their room, the latter already had bunches of chocolates on his arms. He was surprised that alot are giving him.

Mark: Is it really like this in Korea? Girls are the one courting the boys?

Jeongyeon: Mark, Valentine's in Korea is the day when girls show their affection to the ones they like. Next month would be the boys turn, during White day.

Nayeon: You're probably too happy to receive a lot, though.

Mark: Huh? I'm not! These are nothing, Nayeon-ah..

Jeongyeon: I'll just pass by Jae-Oppa's room, see ya!

As Jeongyeon left, Mark opened his free hand as if he's expecting something.

Mark: Where's my gift?

Nayeon: You have a lot already, I don't need to give you anymore.

Mark: Yeobo! (Pouts)

Nayeon: Are these girls crazy or what? Don't they see you walking beside me! How dare them shamelessly give you chocolates, am I invisible?!

Mark: Ya, ya! I see you, okay. I only see you. Calm down. Besides, these are not real. Look. They also give chocolate to others, not just me. See?

Nayeon: Shameless peasants!

As the couple entered the room, they witnessed that there's a lot more chocolates on Mark's desk. Others also had their share, but his desk has the most.

Youngjae: Mark-hyung is the campus heartthrob for a reason.

Momo: I've eaten some of it, Mark. Only those with no notes. Sorry!

Mark: You can have more, Momo-ssi.

Jihyo: So, have you already received from the one you like, Oppa?

Mark: Unfortunately no. I've been waiting, actually.

Nayeon: I believe she won't give you so you better start on stuffing yourself with those chocolates now.

Jihyo: Oww, hot surface!

Sana: That's mean!

Nayeon glared at Mark while the latter just gave out a sigh.

 

Aside from Mark, the boys from the basketball team also received alot of chocolates. The team's popularity sky-rocketed mainly due to their success this year. Jinyoung and JB also received a lot, as well as the MVP Kim Yugyeom. During break time, Mina shyly approached Mark.

Mina: Mark-ssi..

Mark: Ohh, Mina-ya. Do you need anything?

Mina: I'm having second thoughts of giving this to you.. But well, here it goes... (Gives him a box of chocolate)

Mark: (Surprised) For me?

Mina: Ne..

Mark: (Smiles) Thank you, Mina.. But I think it would be unfair for you..

Mina: Eh?

Mark: You see... I have someone I cherish now, and it's all that matters to me now. If I accept this, it'll be just like accepting those given by the random people.

Mina: I see..

Mark: You're a good friend, and you're special. And I'm sorry. Someone out there is more deserving to receive that, Mina.

Mina: I see..

Mark: (Scratches his head) It's a total misunderstanding. That day... (Sighs) I shouldn't have brought those flowers..

Mina: It's for Nayeon-unnie. I know.

Mark: I'm sorry.

Mina: Don't be. Nayeon-unnie... she's so lucky, right? (Smiles) 

Mark: I'm luckier, believe me.

Mina: Don't worry. I'll cheer on you. (Smiles) Hwaiting, Oppa!

Mark: (Grins) Hwaiting too, Mina-ya.

Both laughed to cover up the awkward conversation.


While walking on their way home, Jackson pointed out how tardy Jinyoung looked.

Jackson: Ya, are you okay? You've been drowsy the whole day, bro.

JB: Jinyoung, gwenchana?

Jinyoung: I'm fine. I just needed more sleep.

JB: Are your sleeping pills not working anymore?

Jackson: Seriously Jinyoung-ah, you should stop taking those pills. You've become worse now.

Jinyoung: I'm not taking it regularly anymore. I just need some rest, Jackson.

While walking, they came across Mark, Nayeon, Chaeyoung, Tzuyu and Dahyun.

Chaeyoung: Oh! Oppa!

Jinyoung hurriedly fixed himself and slapped his face slightly to wake himself up. Dahyun and Tzuyu were both was amazed as they saw how each of the boys carry bags filled with chocolates on both hands.

Dahyun: Chocolates! Wow!

Tzuyu: Woah, how did you get all of these?

Chaeyoung: See? I told you we're the luckiest dongsaengs ever! This happens every year. And the oppas never fail to bring me year-span of choco supplies!

Dahyun: Chocolates!!!

Tzuyu: These are really really alot, Chaeyoung-ah!

Dahyun and Tzuyu are busy choosing chocolates from the boys' bags.

Chaeyoung: Yeah yeah. I guess I have rivals now. Can you please leave some for me too?!

Jinyoung: Oh, where's Jeongyeonnie?

Nayeon: She went ahead with Jae-oppa.

Jinyoung: Ahh..

Jinyoung gave JB a worried look, only to be replied with a smile. JB reassured him that it's okay to him now. The girls and Jackson are walking ahead, but still close enough to hear everyone's topic.

Chaeyoung: Eh? Why don't you let me see it?

Chaeyoung insists on taking the box that Jackson secures since earlier.

Jackson: You can choose anything you want except this, okay?

Dahyun: Why, Oppa?

JB: That's from Sana. He won't even let us touch it, so you better be satisfied with the other ones.

Nayeon: Oh, so Sana gave you one too!

Jackson: What do you mean? Did she offer anyone else aside from me?

Mark: Who knows?

Jackson: Don't tell me she gave you one!

Mark: She didn't okay. Stop screaming, you weirdo!

JB: Oh, come to think of it. Mark, did Mina gave you one?

Mark: Eh?

The others went silent. Of course, JB still thinks Mark likes Mina. Only him doesn't know the truth.

Mark: Ahh.. The thing is...

JB: She didn't? See, I told you, you're not on the same level, haha!

Mark: Ani.. She offered me one...

The others take turns on looking at Mark. No one knows, not even Nayeon, about what happened.

Mark: But I refuse to accept it.

Jackson: Eh?! Are you crazy?

Dahyun: Oppa, wae?

Mark: I don't want to lie to her anymore.. I like someone else.. And it's not Mina.

JB: You're confusing me. If not Mina, then who?

Chaeyoung: Have you received from that person, then?

Mark: (Chuckles) It doesn't matter to me if she gives me one or not. It doesn't even matter if I like her more than she does. What's important is... she knows I like her, and that what I feel for her is true.

Jackson: EEEEWWW! Stop this cheesiness, Mark!

JB: (Shivers) What the! Who told you emote like that!

Mark: Y'all putting me into the hot seat and I'm just answering your questions!

Nayeon blushed and Jeongyeon noticed it. Everyone laughed at the boys' reaction and Mark's frank response. As they arrived home and exchanged farewells, the others went ahead but Nayeon called on Jinyoung.

Nayeon: Oppa!

Jinyoung: Oh?

Nayeon slightly hesitated, so she held on his backpack instead.

Nayeon: You're bag's open.

She gestured as if to zip it close.

Jinyoung: Really?

Nayeon: Just... Slightly... I'll go ahead.

Jinyoung: Oh, okay. Goodbye. Thanks!

As Nayeon was about to enter, she was greeted by the grinning Mark.

Nayeon: Were you waiting for me?

Mark: I'm not.

Nayeon: Then why are you there?

Mark: I'm waiting for my Yeobo to give me my chocolate.

Nayeon: Dream on!

Mark: Ahh, Yeobo! I really won't be getting any from you?

Nayeon: Since you've been a good boy... I'll think about it.

Mark: Ehhhhh (pouts)

Nayeon: Don't do that. (Blushed)

Mark: What?

Nayeon: That -- What you just did.

Mark: Ahh. This? (Pouts again)

Nayeon: Hajima.

Mark: Ohh, Yeoba likes my aegyo. (Pouts again)

Nayeon: It's not working, okay? (Still blushes) Hajima!

Mark: She likes it! Hahaha! I'll stop if you'll give it to me now.

The two chase each other outside instead of entering the blue house. Nayeon just won't give in, and Mark will also not simply giving up teasing her.


11:45PM
Only 15 minutes was left before the day ends, Mark is still waiting patiently while lying down. One text from Nayeon and he will storm out of the room. But he didn't receive any message yet.

*Phone vibrating*
Mark immediately got up and answered the call.

Nayeon: Ahjussi?

Mark: Hmm?

Nayeon: Are you still mad?

Mark: No.

Nayeon: Ehhh. You are.

Mark: I'm not.

Nayeon: There's your tone again. And your 2-word answers.

Mark didn't respond but he was actually smiling.

Mark: Get some sleep now. We still have classes early tomorrow.

Nayeon: I'm sorry, okay?

Mark: Arasso. Sleep now.

Nayeon: Can you come out first?

Mark: (Smiles) Wae? Are you giving it to me now?

Nayeon: Just come out!

Mark: Arasso.

As Mark opened the door, Nayeon greeted him with her bunny smile. Mark was already smiling deep inside but he doesn't want to show her, he bit his lower lip and faced her with a poker face.

Mark: Wae?

Nayeon: Are you sleepy already?

Mark: Maybe..

Nayeon: Ehhh. Stop acting cold. (Shows him her gift) Tada!

Mark was struggling hard to resists his girlfriend's cuteness.

Nayeon: He likes it.. Ayiieee.. (Hands him her gift)

Mark: Hajima.

Nayeon: (Pouts) Okay, I'll stop. Have a good night then.

Nayeon gloomily went back to her room. Mark chuckled at her childish action. He read the note on her gift. "These are made by my own hands and heart". He chose one flavor and smiled at it's taste. In no time, he decided to go out and see Nayeon again, but to his surprise, the girl is back in front of his door again. His heart was racing like crazy, seeing her in the middle of the night.

Nayeon: Why do you look like that? Is it bad?

But Mark didn't answer. He was still focused on her and deep inside, was just very happy that the girl in front of him loves him back.

Nayeon: Say something -- you didn't like --

Mark took a step, held her face gently and kissed her, to her surprise. It was strong this time, unlike their first kiss. It was alot stronger, and deeper, and despite the surprise, she responded to the kiss with the same intensity.

Mark: I like it. I like everything about you, and everything you do. I love you.

Nayeon: (Smiles) Tell me something I don't know.

Mark: (Paused) Always remember that... I will choose you, Nayeon. Always remember that.

Nayeon: Choose me from what? Is there anyone else aside from me?

Mark: Who knows?

Nayeon: Ya!

Mark: Ani! Hahaha. Come here.

Mark hugged Nayeon and let out a big sigh. He's scared. The more he gets used to his life in Korea, the more he feels like he can't live without Nayeon anymore. The possibility of leaving everything behind now is killing him.

Nayeon: Are you okay?

Mark: Hmm?

Nayeon: You seemed... troubled?

Mark: Maybe I'm just cold.

Nayeon: Even with this? (She embraced him tighter)

Mark: I can't breathe.. Yeobo..

Nayeon: Haha. Alright, go to sleep now.

Mark: Alright. Good night.

Mark kissed her hand before Nayeon heads back to her doorstep. As she was about to open the door..

Nayeon: Ahjussi..

Mark: Hmm?

Nayeon: (Whisper) I... I love you too..

Mark: What?

It was the first time for Nayeon to tell him that, but unfortunately, he was unable to hear it.

Nayeon: I said.. I... Love... You...

The worries he felt were deleted one by one just by those mere words from Nayeon. He smiled and formed a heart with both his hands.

Mark: I love you more.

Nayeon: Goodnight!

That night, Mark had a hard time sleeping. Earlier that day, he received a call from his grandpa's secretary informing him of his grandpa's health. He was worried for him. The old man was the one who brought them up since their dad died, but he didn't want anyone to know about it, especially Nayeon. He already predicted everything. With his grandpa's condition, his mom will force him to go back to LA and study business, in preparation for his succession to their company. Just when he felt that he cannot give up on Nayeon anymore, he felt like running away from his own family.


Just next door, Jinyoung also had trouble sleeping. It wasn't new anymore, he had his sleeping problem since his parents left. Jinyoung was about to look for his sleeping pills on his bag when he noticed a box with a note attached to it.

"Oppa.. Thank you for always being there for me even if you mean it or not.. Pls keep your promise. You can tell me anything, ok? - Nayeonnie"

Jinyoung: (Smiles) Pabo-ya.. If I tell you everything, you won't like it.. So let me take care of you from afar, that's enough for now..

Jinyoung wasn't able to take his sleeping meds anymore. He fell asleep while holding Nayeon's letter.