Chapter 2: The Neighbors

REPLAY 2010

 

 

CLASS 2B

Changmin: Ok, so that's it for today. I hope you learned something.

Youngjae: More like drown from something.

Changmin: Ah, before I forget. I know you all know, well except for Mark, that Youngjae here is my son. (Laughs) I hope you won't get uncomfortable with this. I promise to be fair to everyone as much as I can. So please be good to me. (Laughs) I can fail him if he deserves it.

Youngjae: Appa.

The whole class laughs especially Jihyo.

Jihyo: Attention (Tries hard not to laugh) Bow.

Class: Good-bye, Mr. Choi.

 

It's lunch time now and as usual, Jihyo, Jungyeon, Nayeon and Youngjae are eating together. Most of their classmates eat on the cafeteria, some on the school grounds. They prefer to eat together inside the room most of the times.

Youngjae: I can't believe it! How can he do this to me?!

Jihyo: Ya. You should be good to your father now. Calculus is a murderer.

Youngjae: You think I don't know that?!

Nayeon: But Choi-songsaengnim seems like a genuine teacher. I think he's considerate though.

Jungyeon: Ya! Genuine or not, the subject itself is the demon!

Nayeon: (Looks at Mark) You think he's okay? It's like he's not gonna eat or something.

Jihyo: Ya, Youngjae, go talk to him.

Youngjae: Why me?!

Jungyeon: Duh, 'Cause you're the guy?

Youngjae: (Stands) Fine. It's always gonna be me.

Youngjae walked over Nayeon's seat and faced Mark who's seems to be sleeping.

Youngjae: Hi! I'm Youngjae. (Offers a handshake)

Mark looked surprised but returned his handshake.

Youngjae: Look guys! We're friends now. (Laughs) Ahh.... I.. I mean... We... Friends... Eating... You like?

Mark: Oh, I see. I'm not hungry though. But thanks for inviting me, I really appreciate it.

Youngjae: Ahh. (Smiles) Not hungry? Ahh.. Oh... You're welcome.

Youngjae went back to his friends.

Jungyeon: What did he say?

Youngjae: He said he's not hungry. And that... He said... (Tries to remember) I don't know, he just said thank you.

Jihyo: He seems nice though. Maybe he's just tired. I mean, who wouldn't? Calculus for the first subject of the day?

Nayeon: He's very attentive during the period. I saw him taking down notes.

Jungyeon: Woah, looks like my bestfriend is quite interested to the newbee.

Nayeon: Let's just say that my attention span is longer than you who looked so peaceful sleeping all throughout the discussion.

Jungyeon: What sleeping? I... I just closed my eyes! 

Jihyo: Oh, so how do you explain why you didn't know that Mr. Choi discussed on the back and not on the podium?

Jungyeon: What?

Youngjae: That's probably why you saw Mark taking down notes, Nayeon?

Nayeon: Obviously. So who's lethargic now, Yoo Jungyeon?

 

At the end of the class, Kang Younghyun or more commonly known as Brian of 2A, Nayeon and JB's cousin, went to Class 2B. 

Nayeon: Oh. Oppa. What are you doing here?

Brian: Nayeon-ah. Is Mina still here?

Nayeon: Hmmm. I think she went home already. Is there something wrong?

Brian: Nothing. Thanks Nayeon-ah, see you around.

Nayeon: Araso. Jihyo-ah, we're leaving now.

Jihyo: Oh, okay. I'll be staying for a while.

Jungyeon: Why? You're waiting for someone?

Jihyo: Eh? Ani. Just go on without me. I'll be going home later.

Nayeon: Araso. Bye! Take care.

After a few minutes, Park Sungjin of 3B showed up.

Sungjin: Jihyo-ah.

Jihyo: Oppa.

Sungjin: Did you wait for long? Sorry, the seniors are having a short meeting a while ago and --

Jihyo: It's okay. (Smiles) How are you?

Sungjin: I'm fine. I... I missed you.

Jihyo: (Smiles) You look skinny, oppa. Are you not eating well the whole break?

Sungjin: Just a little stressed cause of college applications. I'm sorry we couldn't meet the whole break. I tried to sneak out, but --

Jihyo: I understand. You don't have to explain. I had a hard time too.

Sungjin: Jihyo-ah, you trust me, right?

Jihyo: I'm scared, Oppa. I don't want to disappoint my parents anymore. They had a hard time when Junhyeok-oppa left us and --

Sungjin: Don't say that. (Sighs and holds Jihyo's hands) I'll know they'll understand us. Alright. Come on, I'll walk you home.
Without them knowing, Youngjae heard the whole conversation.

 

CLASS 3A

JB: Oh, Jackson-ah. I heard a friend of yours enrolled in 2B.

Jackson: Ah, Mark-hyung?

Jinyoung: Hyung?

Jackson: Ne, he is actually JB-hyung's age but he told me he lack credits to be in our batch.

JB: I see. Where does he stay?

Jackson: (Looks at Jinyoung) Ahh... That's something I want to tell you guys.

Jinyoung: Ya, Jackson! I already told you we can't afford another boarder.

Jackson: He can sleep in my room. Come on, Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: Ya. You begged when you ask me to give you a room before. Besides, Jungyeon and Chaeyoung won't like it. Did you know how uncomfortable the house was when you moved in?

Jackson: Just this time, Jinyoung-ah. Just this one last time.

Jinyoung: No.

Jackson: He is freaking rich, I tell you. He can pay you twice as much as I do.

Jinyoung: Let him stay in a hotel, then.

Jackson: Jinyoungie... (Looks at JB)

JB: What's with that look?

Jackson: JB-hyungie...

JB: Ya--- Ya! Never!

 

THE BLUE HOUSE

Jackson: Hyung-ah, saranghae. (Hugs JB)

JB: Ya, stop clinging around!

Jackson: Ahh, right. Mark bro, I hope you enjoy your stay here in the Blue House. Don't worry, I just live next door. I'll come visit once in a while.

Mark: Thanks, Jackson. Ohh, your mom sent you this. You should call her often, she misses you alot. (Hands him a big paper bag)

Jackson: What are you saying? I call her almost everyday. (Looks at the bag) Woah! My favorites!

JB: What is it?

Jinyoung: Maybe some organic stuffs.

Mark: (Bows at JB) Kamsahamnida.

JB: Ahh, you don't have to bow. I heard we're the same age.

Jackson: Bro, JB is the same age as you. He's the school council president too and he's a nice guy, you'll get along well. But ahh... You must work on your... Korean.

Mark: (Smiles) I'm... I'm learning Korean. Slowly.

Jinyoung: Nayeon-ah..

JB: Oh, the kids are here.

Dahyun: (Bows) Annyeong, Oppa. Jinyoung-sunbaenim, Jackson-sunbaenim.

Nayeon: Woah, you guys went home early today.

Mark: Annyeonghaseyo. (Bows)

Nayeon: M--Mark? W--What is he doing here?

Jackson: Ah, right. Nayeon and Mark are classmates.

JB: Oh, Nayeon-ah. Mark's gonna live with us. He'll be using the spare room next to yours.

Mark bowed to Nayeon again.

Nayeon just simply greeted him back.

JB: Mark. Nayeon is... Ahh... My younger.. Sister.

Mark: Ahhh.

JB: Dahyun is... Nayeon's roommate. Freshman in JYP High. New... Like you.

Mark: Ahh, annyeonghaseyo. (Bows)

Jinyoung: I think we should go now.

JB: Why don't we eat together?

Jinyoung: Eh? Ani, no need to.

Jackson: Ah, right! I forgot to cook the rice! Let's just eat here, Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: (Sighs) Araso. I'll just call Jungyeon and Chaeyoung.

 

The table is now set, and the sitting arrangement is: JB (center), (L) Nayeon, Jungyeon, Chaeyoung, Dahyun. (R) Jinyoung (across Nayeon), Jackson (across Jungyeon), Mark (across Chaeyoung). They were eating happily. Mark noticed that Jungyeon is a heavy eater, far from her cool personality in school. Jinyoung is busy scolding her. Jackson is telling them alot of stories and the others are laughing while eating. He felt happy though he can't understand a thing.

 

MARK'S POV
Everyone are eating happily. The truth is... I'm not quite a fan of Korean foods, and for 3 days, I stayed in a hotel and ordered McDonalds for every meal. I haven't eaten lunch too today, and I'm really starving.

JB: Do you eat ddukbokkie?

Mark: Dduk... Bokkie?

Jackson: Ddukbokkie is my favorite! Go on, taste it!

I took a bite, and I'm surprised that I find it delicious.

Jackson: How is it?

Mark: It's delicious.

Jungyeon: Oh! You spoke Korean!

Mark: (Chuckles) Just... Few... 

Nayeon: Try this. I made this!

Jinyoung: Ya, are you trying to kill him?

But I still took the food Nayeon offered. At first, it tasted weird, but I learned to like it as I chew it.

Mark: It's delicious...

Chaeyoung: (Laughs) I think he will say delicious on anything 'cause he doesn't know what yuck is.

Nayeon: Ya!

JB: Nayeon put alot of effort on the food, she's learning how to cook now.

We enjoyed eating, and since they keep on talking and I couldn't catch up, I just go on observing them all. After eating, Nayeon immediately fixed up the table. JB, Jackson and Jungyeon went to the living room and watched tv. Dahyun and Chaeyoung went upstairs, I heard they're doing their homework. Jinyoung went out for a while, then after a while, he went back inside and tried to help Nayeon on the dishes.

Nayeon: It's alright, Jinyoung-ah.

Jinyoung: Ya, I told you to call me Oppa.

Nayeon: Aish, I'm busy. Stop picking on me, will you?

They seem to be arguing, and I don't know why I'm a bit curious. Then, Jinyoung left Nayeon and joined the others on the living room. I saw him laughing with them, but every now and then, I notice him looking at Nayeon.

 

Are they... Are they dating?