Chapter 1: The New Kid

REPLAY 2010

 

 

JUNE 2010. It was the end of school break, and another school year is about to start in JYP High. Students are having mixed emotions today. Some are excited to see their friends and classmates. Some are unhappy coz weekdays will be schooldays again. Some are already on their way to school, on bus, train, private cars. While some, are still in dreamland.
 

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

JB: Yah! Kids! Are you not up yet?!

KNOCK! KNOCK!

JB: Yah! I'm not joking now! Nayeon-ah, open up!

Dahyun: (Opens the door) Oh, Jaebum-oppa. (Wipes eyes and yawns) What --- What is it? (Eyes still closed)

JB: (Shocked) I know this is gonna happen! Argh, these kids! Why are you still in bed, Nayeon-ah?! Yah! We're gonna be late!

Nayeon: Hmm..

JB: Okay, I give up! (Faces Dahyun) Dahyun-ah, please get ready now. Today's your first day, you won't like it if you'll be late, right? (Held Dahyun's shoulders)

Dahyun: (Opens eyes) Oh! Oh! Yes! Today's my first day!

JB: Good. Go down after. I've made sandwiches already. (Looks at Nayeon who's still sleeping) Yah, Im Nayeon!

Nayeon: (Stood up in a military position) Yes, Sir! 

 

The three of them are now ready to go. It's a good thing that the bus seemed to be late on it's first day. JB, Nayeon and Dahyun went out of the boarding house and were greeted by four friends who live next door.

Jackson: Hmm, let me guess. One of you couldn't sleep a wink last night.

JB: Are you joking? Both of these kids stayed up late last night. (Pointing at Nayeon and Dahyun)

Jackson: Explains why both Jungyeon and Chaeyoung also woke up late today.

Chaeyoung: Yah oppa. Yesterday's the replay of the final game of JYP Middle High! You know I wouldn't miss that!

JB: At least both of you have a reason to stay up late. I'm not even sure why these kids did.

Nayeon: We... (Yawns) We also watched the game.

Jungyeon: Really? I'm not quite sure you're a baskteball fan, Nayeon.

Nayeon: Yeah, I'm not. But Dahyun is.

JB: Okay, enough of these. The bus is here now.

Their bus is quite full today. As expected since it's the first day. The seven of them are currently standing and Jungyeon is disgusted at how some boys are not giving up their seats for the girls to sit.

Nayeon: It's okay, Jungie. We can lose weight while standing.

Jungyeon: I'm more than okay with that but I can't stand seeing how gay these boys are. The chivalry is really dead for a long time in this country. Geez.

The students in the bus are now looking at them and Nayeon tries her best to shut Jungyeon up. After a few minutes, one male student stood up and offered his seat to Dahyun.

Wonpil: Sorry for that. You can sit here. I honestly wanted to seat for a while 'cause my things are kind of heavy. But you can take mine.

Dahyun: Oh? Aniyo. It's okay, really. You don't have to --

Jungyeon: What's wrong, Dahyun-ah? Just sit on it already.

Dahyun: But... But...

JB: Go on. Take it or she will. Haha!

Dahyun: Ara... araso.

 

One by one, the boys in the bus are giving up their seats for the girls who are standing. Dahyun and Chaeyoung are sitting together while Jungyeon sits somewhere where JB and Jackson stands. Another boy stood up and as quick as lightning, Jinyoung immediately took his seat, disappointing another girl who's ready to take it.

Nayeon: Tss. What a joke. 

Jinyoung stood up and pulled Nayeon to take his seat.

Nayeon: Yah, what are you doing?

Jinyoung: Do I have to answer that?

Nayeon: I said I was okay.

Jinyoung: I know you are but the bus is heavier when you're standing, so be considerate.

Nayeon: Yah!

 

Dahyun: Jaebum-oppa seems uneasy. Is he okay?

Chaeyoung: Hmm, let's just say he doesn't like being late for class.

Dahyun: Really? But is it such a big deal? I mean, he seems responsible and such but, it won't hurt to be a bit late for an ordinary student, right?

Chaeyoung: Not for a school council president.

Dahyun: Pres... President? Jaebum-oppa?

Chaeyoung: Yep. By the way, are you a fan of JYP middle high basketball team?

Dahyun: Hmm, not really. I mean, I watch it every now and then 'cause of my brother.

Chaeyoung: Ahh, I see. So he's a fan.

Dahyun: Ani. He's one of the players.

 

Nayeon: Tss. How lame. Why use me as an excuse if you're embarrassed of what you've done?

Jinyoung: That's what I get for letting you sit?

Nayeon: Yah, I've never asked you for it!

Jinyoung: (Sigh) Araso. It's my fault. (Pulls Nayeon up)

Nayeon: Yah, what are you doing?

Jinyoung: I'm sorry for what happened a while ago, miss. You can take this seat now.

Nayeon: Yah.

Jinyoung: You said you don't want to in the first place.

Nayeon: Woah, you really are incredible.

 

Jungyeon: Those two are bickering again.

JB: What do you expect?

Jackson: Jinyoung is really different towards Nayeon. He's never like that to others.

JB: What do you mean?

Jackson: Eh? Hmm? Did I say something?

JB: Do you think Jinyoung likes my sister?

Jungyeon: I don't think so.

Jackson: Why? Is Nayeon really that bad?

Jungyeon: What are you talking about? What I mean is... They're close ever since, so I don't think there's something wrong with that kind of interaction.

Jackson: You two had a past and you still are bickering.

Both JB and Jungyeon became quite and the mood of the conversation changed.

Jackson: I mean... Jinyoung and Nayeon might also have a past... (Looks at JB and Jungyeon carefully) or present? Or future, I don't know... (Paused) You're both gonna kill me now, aren't you?

JB: I'm glad you're aware.

Jackson: Oh.. Okay, I won't talk anymore.

 

Today is Dahyun and Chaeyoung's first day and as freshmen, the only schedule they have for the day are orientation and campus tour. Good thing they belong to the same section, 1A. Nayeon and Jungyeon are also classmates under 2B. The two have been best of friends since forever, and basically knows every single thing about each other. But, Nayeon and Jungyeon are each other's opposites. Nayeon is a bit introvert, dislikes hard things, not into social organizations while Jungyeon is the extrovert type who's basically each school club's member. For the seniors, JB, Jackson and Jinyoung are both 3A students. JB is popular since he's the school council president. Jackson is known as the campus jock with his athletic skills. Jinyoung is the quite and serious type. Others are kind of scared of him 'cause of his cold personality but he is known as the Top1 of the current senior batch. 

 

CLASS 1A

Jiwon: Woah! Did you hear the rumor?! Kim Yugyeom of Middle High basketball team is said to enroll in our school.

Somi: Really?! Oh, daebak! I wanna see him! He looks so cool!

Minyoung: Too bad I heard he'll be on 1B instead.

Eunsuh: I heard he's a scumbag though.

Chaeyoung: Yah! What did you call him?!

Eunsuh: That's what I heard! Don't call me out 'cause of this!

Chaeyoung: Yah! If I hear anyone of you talk bad about The Kim Yugyeom, (raises fist) you'll get to know how this tastes, araso?!

Dahyun: Ya. You... You really look so tough, Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung: I can be gentle you know. But not when it comes to Yuggie...

Dahyun: Yu... Yuggie?

Chaeyoung: Yeah. I call Kim Yugyeom, Yuggie. I haven't told you yet but.. (Whispers) I am Kim Yugyeom's biggest fan! I call him Yuggie bear before but now I shortened it to Yuggie.

Dahyun: (Laughs) Really?

Chaeyoung: Why? What's with that laugh?

Dahyun: Nothing. (Laughs) Don't mind me, I'm just --- Oh, the teacher's here.

 

CLASS 3A

JB: Attention! (Leads the class) Bow.

Class: Good Morning, Songsaeng-nim.

Sunye: Good Morning, kids. Or should I say, future college students?

The class showed different reactions towards Mrs. Park's teasings.

Sunye: So since this is your last year as High School students, I expect you to be more aware of what you want, what you need and what you expect for your future. I want you all to enjoy this year, 'cause like they all say, High School days will always be a great part of everyone. So, what can I say? Make every second count, and never make yourself regret. Are we clear? I won't be commenting on your academics since I expect this section to be... let's say, tolerable? (Laughs) But really, do me a favor and enjoy the rest of this school year. That's it for today, enjoy the rest of period.

The class clapped their hands and once again, JB lead the greetings for their professor. Sunye is one of the long-time professors in JYP High, who handles the Music class. She is idolized by alot of students for her wisdom and skills. Her husband, Park Junho, is a famous singer, making their kids Park Jaehyung and Park Jihyo well-know in the campus. Jaehyung (Jae), who's in 3B, is actually said to be Sunye's son to her previous relationship, while Junhyeok (who died 5 years ago because of illness) and Jihyo of 2B are full siblings. Her cousin Dance Professor Park Kwon and his wife Lee Min Young are very close to their family, making Park Sungjin (3B) and Park Jimin (1B) close to Jae and Jihyo as well.

 

CLASS 2B

Jihyo: Are you sleeping?

Nayeon: Hmm? No, just closing my eyes. Yeah.

Jungyeon: Tss. Who told you to sleep so late the night before the first day, you pabo.

Nayeon: Look who's talking.

Jungyeon: At least I'm not as lethargic as you.

Jihyo: Yah, here they are... (Points at a group of 3 girls going inside the room, one by one) Woah, they really are cool.

Nayeon: Who?

Jungyeon: Who else, the J-Trinity.

Jihyo: Oh! Sana is blonde now. Mina cut her hair. And Momo is brown-haired!

Jungyeon: Ya, Jihyo-ah. Are you fan-girling over them now?

Nayeon: They look like goddesses and here I am looking like a sleepy potato.

Youngjae: Oh, good morning! Jihyo-ah!

Jihyo: Why? Why? So early, so noisy.

Youngjae: Who's noisy?

Jihyo: You, pabo.

Youngjae: But I just arrived and ---

Jungyeon: Cut it out, will you? Im Nayeon, wake up! The teacher's coming ---

The four of them were startled when they saw the teacher went inside the room. The students are now on their seats.

Changmin: Annyeong! Are y'all surprised? Ahh, ne. I'm Choi Changmin and I'll be your homeroom teacher and... (Checks his files nervously) I'll be... I'll be... Handling Calculus.

Changmin received a miserable response from the students, expected for a Mathematics professor. Jihyo elbowed Youngjae who hasn't been paying attention to the discussion.

Jihyo: Ya, you didn't tell me your father's gonna be our homeroom teacher.

Youngjae: I really have no idea either.

Jungyeon: Why? Aren't you in good terms?

Youngjae: You know we don't talk too much.

Nayeon: How great. How am I suppose to live greeted by Calculus every Monday morning?

Just then, a knock on the door was heard.

Changmin: Oh, that must have been the new student.

Jihyo: New student?

The class is now full of whispers. JYP High rarely accepts transferees so everyone is intrigued. As soon as Changmin opened the door, a pale white red-haired young man bowed in front of him.

Changmin: Oh, come in, come in.

He lead Mark towards the center of the podium and encouraged him to greet the class. But Mark only bowed making some of his new classmates chuckle.

Jungyeon: Is he alright?

Jihyo: He must have been very nervous.

Changmin: Ahh, sorry. Class, this is Mark Tuan. He's from LA.

Class: WOAH!

Changmin: Yeah, I know! Los Angeles! So, I learned just today that he just came in Korea 3 days ago, so he isn't very familiar with anything in our country. I hope you make things easier and better for him, araso? He can't speak Korean well enough as of now.

Youngjae: (Whispers) So why come here?

Jihyo elbowed him again.

Youngjae: Yah! Stop it.

Mark: Ahh... Annyeong. (Bows again)

Changmin: (Smiles) Oh, so where do I put you now... Hmm... Oh, there. (Points) On the 4th row behind Nayeon.

Nayeon: Ne?

 

Mark looked at Nayeon's direction and felt something he didn't expect to feel at that very moment. The black-haired girl met his eyes too, smiled at him with those bunny teeth of hers, and before he realize, he smiled back to her. For the first time since he came to Korea, the pain he felt while leaving his comfortable life in LA was gone. He felt like he found... Home.

Mark: Nayeon.