Chapter 3: The First Love

REPLAY 2010

 

Days passed and Mark is kind of getting used to Korean life. He studies Korean language seriously and Nayeon often helps him out. He also volunteers in doing household chores and promised to participate in general cleaning during weekends.

Dahyun: Woah, Mark-oppa is very hard-working.

JB: (Smiles) I guess that's one thing I won't regret on having him here.

Dahyun: (Laughs) Oppa..

JB: Hmm? What is it Dahyunnie?

Dahyun: (Stutters) Ahh -- Aniyo. Nothing. I'll be going now.

JB: You're going out?

Dahyun: Ne. Chaeyoung and I will meet at a coffeeshop downtown.

JB: Is that so? Okay, take care.

Dahyun: (Blushes) Byee ~


DAHYUN'S POV
What's wrong with you, Dahyun? Aish. How can you let your guard down? Alright. So what if Jungyeon-unnie and JB-oppa had a past? You don't have the right to ask anything. (Hits head)

Chaeyoung: Oh, Dahyun-ah. Is something wrong?

Dahyun: Eh? Nothing, why ask?

Chaeyoung: You look.. annoyed. Haha. Seriously, what happened?

Dahyun: Ahh... Nothing, I think I just didn't get enough sleep last night.

Chaeyoung: Hmm. (Still curious)

Why am I thinking about it so much? I shouldn't be this bothered. Especially not in front of her younger sister. Jungyeon-unnie... Her aura and charm are so great that anyone can fall for her, even girls. JB-oppa, is someone who looks so dreamy and perfect... and his smiling eyes... 

Chaeyoung: Ya, earth to Dahyun. Are you even listening?

Dahyun: Eh? Wh--What? I mean, sorry.

Chaeyoung: What's wrong with you? You seem preoccupied today. Are you sure nothing happened?

Dahyun: Nothing, really.

Chaeyoung: You're really mysterious, Kim Dahyun. We're always together, but aside from your wild academic skills, wild pile of books and wild long weird hair, I know nothing about you.

Dahyun: I'm nothing special, so I have nothing to share about.

Chaeyoung: You don't have to be 'special' to at least tell me about a thing. Let's start with... Ahmm, your favorites.

Dahyun: My favorites?

Chaeyoung: Yeah. I'll start. Hmm... I like strawberries, and watching english movies. I also love drawing and writing song lyrics. How about you?

Dahyun: Me? Me... I'm... Me.

Chaeyoung: What?

Dahyun: I have no favorites, I just get used to what I encounter in life. If I wear yellow, I'll love yellow. If I wear pink, I'll love pink. If I eat pork, I'll enjoy it.

Chaeyoung: What? Ya, Dahyun-ah. You're really something. Oh, how about your family? Do they live here in Seoul?

Dahyun: My family? My...

I looked at Chaeyoung's eyes. I'm not sure if she'll be happy or not if she'll know about my family, especially my brother.

Dahyun: There's one thing you need to know, Yoo Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung: What is it?

Dahyun: I... I'm... I'm older than you. So call me Unnie.

I guess I have to find the right time to tell her about it. Maybe she'll be shocked once she knows about my brother.

 

JB'S POV

The first week of school has passed and I'm happy that I managed to get by each day. Being the new student council president is tough, thanks to the other officers, daily loads become bearable. Today's Saturday, and instead of going out, I chose to stay at home. I saw Mark busy reading his English-Korean dictionary. Beside him is Nayeon who, I think, is helping him with pronunciation. I went downstairs and was planning to go out for a while when Jungyeon appeared right in front of the door.

Jungyeon: Is Nayeon home?

JB: Nayeonnie? She's upstairs. Should I call her?

Jungyeon: Ah, ani. The truth is... I'm here to talk to you.

JB: (Nervous) What is it?

Jungyeon: Oppa..

What is it with girls today? First, Dahyun. It seemed like she's about to tell me something this morning, and now Jungyeon. But her stare is different now. Is something on my face?! The more we look at each other's eyes, the more nervous I get. Can she feel it? I'm sweating endlessly, I hope she doesn't notice. Is it something serious? Please say something Yoo Jungyeon. Why am I feeling something weird? Please speak up. 

Jungyeon: Oppa, I... I wanted to ask you if ---

Jackson: Hello!

Darn it, Jackson! Why do you always have to come when something's up?!

Jackson: Oh, Jungyeon-ah. What are you doing here? Am I interrupting something?

Jungyeon: Eh? Ahh, no. Of course not. I'm here to see Nayeon. I'm going up.

Jackson, you devil. It's obvious that Jungyeon has something important to say. She's here to talk to me, and not to see Nayeon. I look at Jackson furiously. Jackson Wang, you're so dead!

Jackson: Seriously, am I really not interrupting?

JB: No.

Jackson: Then why are you glaring at me?

JB: 'Cause you deserve to die, you idiot! (Slaps Jackson on head and back endlessly)

Jackson: Yah! What did I do?! Stop it, you psycho! (Runs upstairs)

This is driving me crazy. Jungyeon is my... Let's say... Someone who'll aways be special to me. Nayeon and I met her and Jinyoung during grade school. She was always crying back then because her Mom died. Since then, her aunt and uncle (Jinyoung's parents) almost raised her and Chaeyoung. Her elder brother Dowoon was brought up by her Dad alone, another reason why both sisters are closer to Jinyoung than their own brother. She was weak and fragile before, and whenever I saw her, I felt pain. So I promised myself since then that I will make her strong and I will protect her... What I didn't expect was realizing that I'm slowly falling for her. It was during middle high school when I confessed to her and it wasn't long until she accepted me. But our relationship was too vague. We weren't able to handle it, and we couldn't sort out our feelings from personal issues. We were too immature by then, and were greatly affected by emotions. There wasn't a week when both of us don't argue. Even my friendship with Jinyoung and hers with Nayeon were almost severed. To stop the torture, we mutually agreed to end it. It wasn't easy. We dated for a year and I agree that loving her was bittersweet. It's just not at the right time... Or is that just me?

Jackson: Markeu!

Mark: Jackson-ah!

Jackson: Let's hear it.

Mark: What?

Jackson: Your Korean! Let's see how it goes..

Mark: Okay...

Nayeon: Eyyy. What are you doing?

Jackson: I'm checking how my friend is progressing.

Nayeon: He's my student, not yours. You're stressing him out. Ya, Mark-ssi, don't listen to him. Read that first.

Mark: Okay...

Jackson: Hey, are you letting her control you? Get a grip, man!

Jinyoung: Ya, why are you so noisy? Is this your house?


JINYOUNG'S POV
Today's Satuday and since it's only been a week since school started, we didn't have alot to do yet. As soon as I woke up, I found out that both my cousins went out. Jackson and I decided to play playstation but ended up getting bored. Are we growing up now? It was him who come up with the idea to go to the Blue House. I didn't hesitate since I realized I was about to borrow something from JB. I told Jackson to go ahead since I have to lock up the house. I was about to enter the Blue House's gate when I saw a familiar face across the street. Slim and tall stature, along with his blonde hair peeping out of his blue cap, and a guitar packed on his back. I just looked at him intently. He seems to be waiting for someone since he looks constantly at the Blue House. He looked at his phone then looked at the Blue House again. After a while, he saw me and was a bit startled. He then start to walk away while looking at his phone. Why are you here, Park Jaehyung?

That was weird. Jaehyung and I are not close although we both joined the Drama club last year, along with his sister Jihyo, cousin Sungjin and my cousin Jungyeon. I have no idea at all why he would hang out in our neighborhood since he's not close to anyone except his bandmates, Day6. He's Sunye-songsaengnim's eldest son and he belong to 3B. He's quite a loner sometimes, but he argues with Jungyeon alot. They never settle on anything. I then proceed to the Blue House and was greeted by JB.

JB: Oh, Jinyoung-ah. Jackson and Jungyeon's upstairs.

Jinyoung: Jungyeon's here?

JB: Yes. She arrived before Jackson.

Ohh. Jungyeon said she'll meet someone today. That's weird.

Jinyoung: Is everybody home?

JB: Ahh, yes. Except for Dahyun. She went somewhere with Chaeyoung.

Jinyoung: Ahh, right. Why are you here when everyone's upstairs?

JB: I ahh.. Well.. They're too loud. Hahaha.

Jinyoung: What nonsense? If you continue being like that, I'll continue suspecting you're avoiding my cousin.

JB: Yah! That's in the past already. Why would I avoid Jungyeon?

Jinyoung: Exactly my point. Come on!

JB and I joined the others who are hanging out in the balcony. I immediately heard Jackson.

Jinyoung: Ya, why are you so noisy? Is this your house?

Jackson: What took you so long, Jinyoungie?

Jinyoung: Nothing, I just.. I saw Jaehyung across the street.

Jackson: Jaehyung? Park Jaehyung? What's he doing here?

Jinyoung: No idea.

Nayeon stood up, nudged Jungyeon and went to her room. I then noticed Jungyeon jerked a little and took her phone out. She seemed to be texting someone. Then Dahyun and Chaeyoung appeared out of nowhere. JB is busy hushing Jackson.

Jackson: Oh, seems like everybody's here huh?

JB: Jackson will you stop jumping around?

Mark stood and greeted both girls. He seems so polite, and it bothers me sometimes. Is he really that nice or I'm just... not that nice?

Mark: Jinyoung?

Jinyoung: Hmm?

Mark: You.. Hyung or Dongsaeng?

Jinyoung: Me? Oh.. Dongsaeng.

Mark: Ahh. Should I call you Dongsaeng?

Jinyoung: What? No. Only Jinyoung. Ok? Jinyoung.

Mark: Ohh... Arasso.

He kind of freaked me out there. Well "freak" is not the right word. It's just that I don't have siblings aside from almost adopted siblings Jungyeon and Chaeyoung who basically are both younger than me. I also have no older brothers, even JB and I act as same age though he's older than me. Mark-hyung seems too innocent. I wonder how he'll handle himself alone. I thought LA people are more of liberated. A few moments later, Nayeon went back to the balcony and brought another set of korean books for dummies.

Nayeon: No. Older brother is Hyung, older sister is Noona.

Mark: I thought Older brother is Oppa?

Nayeon: Ya, are you even listening?! That's the difference! For us girls, older brother is Oppa. For boys, like you, it's Hyung.

Jackson: Ya! Why are you shouting at him. He's older than you!

Mark: Ohh. So I'm your Oppa?

Nayeon was taken aback. I started focusing on their conversation. Among us, JB is the only one she calls Oppa. She calls me Jinyoung, she calls Jackson as Jackson. She calls other people by their names or with honorifics.

Nayeon: Yes. But I'll call you Mark-ssi.

Mark: Why?

Nayeon: 'Cause we're not that close yet?

Mark: Oh.

Mark then moved a little closer to Nayeon, and it made her laugh. Is he really that dumb or he's being funny. I can't even read him.

Nayeon: Yah! Close not it terms of space or proximity, close in relation.

Mark: So if we become friends, you will call me Oppa?

Jinyoung: Ya, don't dream on it. She never calls anyone Oppa except JB.

Mark: Really? Not even you?

Nayeon: Why should I? We're also not that close.

Jinyoung: What? Ya! You've known me for 12 years already!

Nayeon: Really?

JB: Aish, these kids! Will you stop it? Oh, I heard you auditioned for the dance club, Jackson-ah.

Jungyeon: Woah, you really wanted to get close to Sana, eh? 

Jackson: What are you talking about? I've always love dancing!

Chaeyoung: Oh, Dahyun likes dancing too! Why don't you join?

Dahyun: Ya! (Gestured Chaeyoung to zip )

Jackson: And.. And Mark too! He can dance and do tricks!

JB: Woah, really?

Chaeyoung: Show it! Show it!

Nayeon: Clubs... Orgs... (Loud sigh)

Dahyun: Why, unnie? You don't belong to any?

Jungyeon: Nayeonnie has stage fright.

Mark: Really?

Nayeon: I don't! I just... Hate commitments and such.

Jungyeon: Oh yeah, she hates commitments... and people.

Nayeon: You're not really helping, Jungyeon-ah.

Nayeon is really not any organizations within the school. Even a person like me belong to few -- the Drama club and Basketball team. JB and Jungyeon belong to alot, unlike Nayeon.

Jinyoung: How about the Drama club?

Nayeon: Jinyoung, not again.

Jinyoung: But really... I mean... Why don't you try?

Jungyeon: Yeah, Jihyo and I also part of it!

Jinyoung: See?

JB: You have to explore, Nayeon-ah. You can't be alone forever or stick with Jungyeon all the time. Even Youngjae is joining the basketball team.

Nayeon: What? Are you kidding?

Jackson: No. He signed up yesterday.

Nayeon: No way...

Jungyeon: Why not give it a try, Nayeonnie?

Mark: I'll join.

Nayeon: What?

Mark: If I join, will you join?

Mark got Nayeon thinking. That's a first.

When it got dark, we decided to head home already. After eating dinner, I read a few topics for next week. When I realized it's 1am already, I decided to wash up when suddenly, my phone rang. It's Nayeon...

Nayeon: Oh! You answered.

Jinyoung: What do you need?

Nayeon: You're still awake?

Jinyoung: Obviously. Sleep talking again?

Nayeon: No, no. It's just that --

Jinyoung: What is it this time?

Nayeon: Jinyoung-ah...

Jinyoung: (Bit worried) Is... Is something wrong?

Nayeon: You think I can make it?

Jinyoung: What do you mean?

Nayeon: About the drama club thing... I... I think I'll give it a try.

Before I realize, a smile on my lips slowly appeared. Not that much, but knowing that Nayeon is trying to go out of her comfort zone makes me feel relieved. It got me thinking though when I recalled what happened yesterday. Is she joining 'cause she wants to or because of Mark? Wait, why am I even bothered by this?