Chapter 10: The Moving On

REPLAY 2010

 

CHAEYOUNG'S POV
I took out my old boxes and diaries. I can't believe I've wasted almost 4 years following Yugyeom around. I'm such an idiot. Who am I fooling? I'm just a nobody. Of course he would never recognize me. He's Kim Yugyeom, I'm just a fan. It's impossible for him to even remember my face or even my name.

Jungyeon: What're you doing?

Chaeyoung: Sorting stuffs.

Jungyeon: Hey... (Picks up a picture) These are Yugyeom's pictures. Why are you throwing them away?

Chaeyoung: I think they mean nothing anymore.

Jungyeon: What?! Hey... Hey, come here. (Held Chaeyoung as they both sat on her bed) What happened?

Chaeyoung: Nothing, unnie. (Sighs) It's just that... I thought maybe... since Dahyun introduced me during the last game, he might recognize me, even just a little. (Teared up) I'm such a delusional freak. I maybe hoped that... there may be a slightest chance that he'll notice me or even remember me, but he didn't... I shouldn't have high hopes about him...

Jungyeon: Oh, come one Chaeyoungie. (Hugs Chaeyoung) It's not your fault. Some people are really meant to appear in our lives to make us realize we deserve better.

Chaeyoung: I hope so..

Knock! Knock!

Chaeyoung: (Wipes tears) Who is it, Jinyoung-oppa?

Jungyeon-unnie opened the door and we both realized it was Jackson-oppa. He told us that Jinyoung-oppa is still asleep but he said also not to worry since Nayeon and Mark are there to check on him. I felt so sad. Because of my stupid thoughts about Yugyeom, I totally forgot about Jinyoung-oppa's accident. He must be so sad now. I hope he recovers fast.

 


Nayeon woke up and realized she's laying on Jinyoung's hospital bed. Jinyoung is still asleep sitting on a stool beside the bed. She got off from the bed carefully but Jinyoung was still able to notice her.

Jinyoung: Had a good night sleep?

Nayeon: Why am I the one on bed?

Jinyoung: I don't know. (Yawns) I just went to the CR last night and when I came back, you're already sleeping there. (Touches his lower back) My back hurts, ouch.

Nayeon: I'm so sorry, I'm sorry. (Tries to massage him)

Jinyoung: (Smiles) You said you had enough sleep, but you slept once you saw the bed empty.

Nayeon: Don't start with me, Park Jinyoung.

Jinyoung: (Laughs) By the way.. Thank you, for staying the night.

Nayeon: (Blushes and avoids Jinyoung's stare) Your guards are too tired to watch over you yesterday. You should really be thankful to me.

Jinyoung: Yeah.. But I'm still doomed.

Nayeon: Does it still hurt? Your semi-finals is next weekend.

Jinyoung: I don't think I can play anymore.

Nayeon: Hey, it's going to be okay. You trust the rest of the team, right?

Jinyoung: Of course, I do.

Nayeon: Then that's enough. They'll be okay as long as you trust each other.

Jinyoung: Will you come next game with me?

Nayeon was surprised. Jinyoung was sincerely inviting her to watch the game.

Jinyoung: Will you watch the game... with me?

Nayeon: (Smiles) Sure. (Avoids Jinyoung's intense stare again) It's 7 already. We should be going home now. Thank God it's Saturday.

Jinyoung: You hungry?

Nayeon: (Grins) Kinda..

Jinyoung: Let's eat then. My treat.

 

Nayeon accompanied Jinyoung to the nearest fast food: McDonalds. He's in crutches now and his left leg is bandaged. Nayeon initiated to order. She knows Jinyoung's favorite: 2 pcs chicken ribs rice meal and a coke.

Jinyoung: Wow. You know exactly what I crave! You're not eating?

Nayeon: I just ordered a sundae.

Jinyoung: Ya, it's too early for that. You should've ordered a sandwich, at least. I thought you're hungry?

Nayeon: I'm on diet.

Jinyoung: Tss. (Smiles and offered Nayeon the other chicken)

Nayeon: What's that?

Jinyoung: I know you want it.

Nayeon: I don't! Okay? Put it down.

Jinyoung: (Forces the chicken on Nayeon's mouth) Come on!

Nayeon: Ya! Stop it!

Jinyoung: The chicken is sad, you're hurting it.

Finally Nayeon gave up and ate the chicken. As soon as they finished eating, they walked towards the bus stop and waited for taxi, but no taxi passed and it's like 15minutes already.

Jinyoung: Why don't we just take a bus?

Nayeon: No way. You can't take a bus in that state.

Jinyoung: Of course I can.

Another bus came but it's full just like the last one.

Jinyoung: If we don't ride this one, we'll get there at night.

Nayeon: But we can't just stand.

Jinyoung: We already are. Come on.

Nayeon: Okay.

Nayeon and Jinyoung took the bus even if it was full already. They are standing, as usual and Jinyoung is doing his best to prevent other passengers, especially boys, from squeezing Nayeon.

Jinyoung: Are you alright?

Nayeon: Yeah, I'm fine. I'm more worried about you.

Jinyoung: (Smiles) You should be.

Nayeon bit her lip and glared at Jinyoung, but deep inside she really is thankful to him. He has always protected her, even though he denies it. Jinyoung and her are too near each other now that everytime the bus moves, her head will repeatedly touch his chest. She doesn't like what she feels right now. They've been in these situations alot of times already, but lately she feels something weird whenever she's with him. Is she thinking too much? Is she comparing what she feels around Mark to what she feels with him?

After that intense bus ride, she sent Jinyoung home first before she went home. As she entered the blue house, she witnessed JB and Dahyun sleeping in the living room together. Dahyun rests on the couch and JB fell asleep on the floor next to her.

Nayeon: Ehem.

JB: (Woke up) Oh, Nayeon. You're here now.

Nayeon: Looks like you two had a great night together

JB: We.. I..

Nayeon: Is my big bro blusing?!

JB: I'm not! And will you please tone it down, Dahyun is still sleeping.

Nayeon: Alright Prince Charming.

JB: Is Jinyoung okay? Did you send him home already?

Nayeon: Yeah. The doctor said he needs some rest and he'll probably be in crutches for not less than a month. So, I don't know. Maybe he should get a couple of days of absence from School.

JB: That's something Jinyoung will refuse to do. That also means he can't play for the remaining games.

Nayeon: I'm sorry, Oppa.

JB: We'll be doomed without him. Ahh, right. Aren't you with Mark?

Nayeon: Mark? No. I told him to go home last night with Jackson.

JB: That's weird. I'm pretty sure I locked the house last night. He didn't come home. 

Nayeon: What? Are you sure?

JB: Where did that guy go again?

Mark: Morning.

Nayeon: Mark!

JB: You just got home?

Mark: I went somewhere early today.

Nayeon: We thought you didn't go home last night. 

Mark: I did. Excuse me.

Mark immediately went upstairs. Nayeon and JB were surprised because Mark doesn't seem to be himself today. He didn't even smile and he didn't even look at Nayeon.

 

CHAEYOUNG'S POV

I was too preoccupied with myself that I didn't even know that Jinyoung-oppa wasn't able to go home yesterday. He's in crutches now, and he becomes easily irritated. Who wouldn't? He can't play basketball anymore, especially since this year will be his last playing year. I'm so sad for him. Jungyeon-unnie has been very kind to me lately. Unnie and I might bicker alot but she's a very caring and understanding person. She's right. My phase of that Yugyeom-madness is through already. I shouldn't have let my life revolve around him. I should've determined my boundaries as a fan. But it's over now. It's time for me to stop this infatuation..

The next few days has been great for me. I don't even have to bring my heavy camera around the campus. I miss my baby sometimes though, she's my buddy since middle school days. It was our last period and Dahyun asked me to accompany her to the lockers.

Dahyun: Oh, right. The game starts in 5 minutes! Let's go!

Chaeyoung: I'm not going..

Dahyun: What?

Chaeyoung: I... I... I promised unnie that I'll be home early today. We'll go somewhere so..

Dahyun: Are you kidding? Today's the semi-final match! If we win today, our team will head to the finals!

Chaeyoung: I really can't. Sorry Dahyun.

Dahyun: Hey.. Is something wrong? I noticed you're not bringing your beloved camera lately.. and you're refusing to watch Yugyeom's game! Chaeyoung-ah, are you sick?!

Chaeyoung: I think I'm rather cured. (Smiles) See you tomorrow.

Dahyun: But... But... Okay. Bye.

 

DAHYUN'S POV
Chaeyoung is weird lately. Since the last game, she started to change. Well, she did mention about that thing about Yugyeom "ignoring" her. I think she really got hurt. Aish! What's wrong with this twin brother?! Why is he such a snub?!

I immediately went to the basketball gym where the game will be held. The audience is quite many this time, no, I think the gym is really full now.

Nayeon: Dahyun-ah! Kim Dahyun! (Waves at Dahyun)

Dahyun: Oh? Unnie? (Went towards Nayeon's location on the audience)

Nayeon is with Jinyoung-oppa. He still went to watch the game even though he's injured now. So happy to see him smiling though. Maybe because he's with Nayeon-unnie. Maybe Chaeyoung is right. Maybe he really likes her.

Nayeon: Eh? Why are you alone? Where's our little sasaeng?

Dahyun: She told me she has to go home to --

Jungyeon: Oh! You're here now!

Jungyeon-unnie suddenly appeared. I thought she's at home with Chaeyoung!

Dahyun: Unnie?

Jungyeon: Why are you so surprised? Am I not allowed to watch?

Dahyun: Eh? No, I just thought... Nevermind... Chaeyoung went home already.

Jungyeon: Oh. Good.

Nayeon: Good? Wait, is she sick? This game is what she's been looking forward since last last month!

Jungyeon: Things happen, Nayeon. And people grow up too.

Nayeon: Chaeyoung won't grow up anymore. She's small.

Jungyeon: Not literally! Of course she has no chance anymore! Hahahaha!

Jinyoung: Aish, stop it you two! Why are you so loud anywhere?

Dahyun: I still don't get it. Why would Chaeyoung refuse to watch it?

Nayeon: Well, maybe she wanted to move on.

Dahyun: What?

Jungyeon: It's her way of coping. She won't be able to forget about Yugyeom if she keep on watching and following him around. Your twin brother doesn't deserve it.

All I can do is sigh. Poor Chaeyoung.

 

 

The game was very tight. Their opponents are good but most of JYP high players are now tired, especially JB and Mark who focused on defense. The team is having a really hard time since Jinyoung still can't play.

Bambam: Hyung, I... I can handle the ball, but I don't think I can make a shot.

JB: Don't let them see you're nervous. If they feel that you don't have confidence, they will come after you. Listen to me, don't be scared to play out there.

Mark: I'll do screen for you, Bambam. Pass the ball to anyone who's free. Have confidence, alright?

Bambam: Ne.

The buzzer went on and the last quarter of the game finally started. Nichkhun now let more bench players to play and let the starting players rest.

Mark: This is not good. We need to work on defense.

Nichkhun called for a time out and planned for strategies to make a successful play and to prevent turn-overs.

Yugyeom: (Pants) Hyung. Keep on passing the ball and kill time. Pass the ball to me once they double team me, that way I can make a 3-point game when they foul me. We can force penalties that way too.

Mark: Good idea. (Pants) Let's do it.

Yugyeom: Coach, we're ready.

Nichkhun: No. Rest for now and let the others play first.

Mark: Coach, but we're losing!

Nichkhun: You are not the only players in the team. Look at them. They are bench players but they are also a part of the team. Not because you belong to the fist five doesn't mean you're the only ones who should play.

Yugyeom: That doesn't make any sense, coach. We have to be there now before it's too late!

Mark: Gyeom-ah, have faith in our other members.

Yugyeom: I don't. Okay? If you won't let us play now might as well let the team lose. I'm out of here!

Jinyoung suddenly showed up in front of Yugyeom. He looked to pissed at him.

Jinyoung: That's it huh, Kim Yugyeom? You cannot handle pressure and losing. You hate it when the attention is not on you and you'd rather back out than see your team losing. So what if you're the best player of the team? That doesn't hide the fact that you are arrogant, undisciplined and selfish. Let me exchange bodies with you then.

Nichkhun: Stop it now. (Faced Yugyeom) Yugyeom-ah.. You don't even believe in your own members, how will you convince me to believe in you? You are good, you might be the best among all but you can't control that temper! Fix that attitude of yours, I don't need that in my team!

Yugyeom left the gym and the crowd went dead. The fans were left hopeless. Without him and Jinyoung now, the team is trailing in the offensive aspect. Youngjae kept on forcing 3-points to tie up with the opponent. JB, Bambam and Jackson added points through lay-ups and jump shots. Mark remembered the strategy Yugyeom said and tried it with JB as the center. Alas, their opponent is on penalty now. With that, every foul called against their opponent will give them chances of free throws.

A minute left and the game is again tied, the other team again handles the ball. The boys are not supposed to draw a foul, so they are having a hard time carefully defending. Their opponent scored another 2! JB and the team have no time to feel the pressure, Bambam quickly passed the ball towards the opposite court, gave it to JB, who forced another foul and made it a 3-point play. They are 1 point ahead now. They lead once again with only 20 seconds left. If the other team scored again, they will lose this. They should also avoid getting a foul cause it will benefit the other team to free throw. With 10 seconds left, the ace player of the other team is guarded now by Mark.

Mark: I should not foul him. Don't fall into a trap, Mark. You cannot foul him.

Mark read the intention of his opponent, making him avoid some contact. His opponent then stanced a shot, making Mark jump to block. But the player faked the jump, stepped aside instead and then threw a jumpshot. Mark jumped again but seemed too late for it. His opponent was confident that it will count but it didn't. The ball bounced against the ring and was rebounded by JB. He hugged the ball and waited for the long buzzer indicating the end of the game. The player was shocked. He was confident of that shot. JB cried happily while s surrounded him. The JYP High once again won the match with 61-60! After the game, Mark's rival named Taehyung, approached him to congratulate him.

Taehyung: Great game! (Sigh) That was close. Anyway, congratulations.

Mark: Yeah. Thanks.

Taehyung noticed the bleeding on his right index finger, and that's when he realized that his last shot was indeed blocked by Mark through his finger.

Taehyung: (Smiled) You should probably fixed that.

Mark: Right.

Taehyung: I haven't met you yet, but you're really good. Especially your defense. (Sighs) JYP High sure is getting stronger this year, eh?

Mark: I think of it that way too.

Taehyung: You caught me. I believed that the shot I made was perfect, but you were able to reach the ball, right? That explains the wound on your finger.

Mark: (Touches his finger) That simple moment changed the results. I also thought that was a great shot.

Taehyung smiled at Mark's humble words.

Taehyung: Mark Tuan, right? I'm Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. But you can call me V. I hope we meet each other again in next year's match. (Offers his hand)

Mark: (Shakes Taehyung's hand) Ne. See you again next match. 

Mark then went over to his team. Nayeon, Jungyeon and Dahyun excitedly approached and congratulated them. Nayeon assisted Jinyoung with his crutches, while JB hugged Dahyun tightly, which made the latter blush like a tomato. Mark looked at Nayeon who smiles brightly at Jinyoung. He hasn't been following Nayeon around these past few days. She also focused on accompanying Jinyoung, since that accident. They haven't talked again since then, and he feels that Nayeon noticed he's giving her cold shoulders lately. Nayeon looked at him, her smile disappeared but she still looked at him. At that very moment, his heart ached. He realized that it doesn't matter even if Nayeon likes someone else, as long as she's happy. When her smile faded, he felt guilty, and he wanted to bring back that smile so much. Even if it hurts, Mark smiled at her, and Nayeon smiled back too, excitedly. And that's when Mark felt his world is not stagnant again.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV
I heard the loud cheering from the court. I knew it, we won. At that moment, I felt guilty. Coach is right. I don't deserve to be a part of the team. I'm arrogant and selfish. So I tried to call Yerin. She's all I ever wanted to talk to this time.

Yerin: Ne, Yugyeom-ah?

Yugyeom: Yerin-ah.. Can I.. Can I see you now?

Yerin: I'm in the middle of my training. And also... Isn't today your game? Is it through already?

Yugyeom: Ne.. The team won..

Yerin: That's great! Congratulations. But... Why did you call? Is something wrong?

Yugyeom: I miss you.. I miss you, Yerin-ah.

For four years... Kang Yerin... Can't you feel it? Can't you really see my feelings for you all these years? I know you know it... I know you know I like you... But you keep on pushing me away. You keep on putting a wall between us.

Yugyeom: Yerin-ah..

Yerin: Oh.. I.. Yugyeom-ah, I have to go. I'm sorry.

She hanged up. Again. She always avoids this type of talks. She won't even let me confess. Why are you doing this, Yerin-ah? Why do you keep on doing this? Is this your way of rejecting me?

 


After the game, the school bus offered to send the boys to their homes. Yugyeom didn't come back to the venue, making everyone worried, as well as Dahyun. To lighten up the mood, Jackson suggest that the team will celebrate for advancing to finals. He then suggested to held a small gathering in the White House, making himself earn a glare from Jinyoung.

Jackson: Ya, Jinyoung-ah! Just this time, okay?

Jinyoung: This rascal.. And then what? You will let me clean up?

Bambam: Ani, hyung, we will clean up after party.

Jinyoung: Party? You call it party when it's an on-the-spot thing?!

JB: Ya! Why are you such a kill joy? Just say yes already!

Jinyoung: Alright! Alright! Just don't mess up big time, okay? I only have 1 leg functioning right now.


Every member of the team went to the "party". They decided to hold it in the White House's rooftop. Chaeyoung, Nayeon, Jungyeon and Dahyun also joined, but drank juice instead of beer. JB also invited some Day6 members, to Jinyoung's dismay.

Jinyoung: Ya, why are you inviting strangers? Is this your house?

JB: Calm down, will you? I brought them here 'cause I want you to get close to them too.

Jinyoung: There's no need for that, we're graduating in 4 months already.

JB: Ya, just enjoy it while it lasts. Besides, Final exams are over and we'll be on Christmas vacation in a week.

Mark: Hey, this is great. It reminds me of LA.

JB: You party alot in LA, then?

Mark: Me? No, no. Not that kind of party in your mind. Just, casual, with relatives and close friends.

Jackson: Ow! Day6 are here!

Brian: JB-ya! (Hugs JB) Congratulations!

JB: Thanks, Man. 

JB realized that the whole group came, and then he focused on Jae, who looked around and searched for Jungyeon. There's another doorbell and it was Chaeyoung this time who answered it. As she opened, she gasped as she saw Yugyeom in front of her. Yugyeom was just as surprised as her.

Chaeyoung: W.. What are you doing here?

Bambam: Oh! You came! Guys, Yugyeom's here!

JB: Gyeom-ah!

Mark: You kiddo! Where did you go?!

Yugyeom: Hyung.. I'm sorry.

Jinyoung: It's nothing. I should be the one who should apologize. We all wanted to win, and but I said those awful things to you in front of everyone and embarrassed you. I'm sorry.

Yugyeom: What you said were all true. I'm an immature and ignorant person, and I'm sorry. 

Jinyoung: It's a part of growing up, kid.

Yugyeom: So, we're cool now?

Jinyoung: Of course!

Jinyoung realized that the reason why he and Yugyeom are the least close in the tea, is because they have the same personality. The doorbell rang again, and it was Nayeon's turn now to open it. She got confused when a tall, slim and pretty girl appeared. She's wearing a crop-top and a fur jacket with a big pink suitcase on her left.

Tzuyu: Hi!

Nayeon: Errrm.. Hi? Can I.. help you?

Tzuyu: Does Jackson Wang live here?

Nayeon: Ahhm, yes? And.. you are?

Mark: Tzuyu? What are --

The girl suddenly ran when Mark started chasing her.

Tzuyu: Help me, Jackson!

Jackson: Did I hear someone call me?

Nayeon: Oh, someone came and asked if you're around and then Mark go and chased her.

Jackson: Really? Who?

Nayeon and Jackson went out to witness the two.

Jackson: Eh? Tzuyu? What is she doing here?

Nayeon: Tzuyu? Who is she?

Jackson: Mark's younger sister!

Nayeon: Eh?