Sit Tight, Okay?

A Suitable Boy

Heechul had been watching the storm for half an hour. It seemed to just hover over the part of the city he was in. The sky was so dark it looked like night; the clouds hung so low and heavy with rain that Heechul thought he could reach up and touch them; the rain pounded and the wind howled around the bookstore. Not a soul could be found on the street, although sometimes an occasional car would pass by. There was a loud crack, then the power went out. Heechul could hear Mr. Lee in the back, cursing.

“Lovely day,” Heechul's boss said dryly, moving to the front windows. “Did you see anything?”

“No, just heard a loud crack.” Heechul moved to stand next to his boss.

“Lightning strike, probably,” Mr. Lee mused.

Heechul was saved from replying by his cell phone vibrating in his back pocket. He blushed when he saw Seunghyun's name flash. “Hello?”

“Hey, cutie.”

“Hey Seunghyun.”

“What are you up to on this perfect day?”

Heechul snickered. “I'm at work.”

“Did your power go out too?”

“Yes. Mr. Lee thinks it was a lightning strike.”

“That would explain the deafening boom we heard,” Seunghyun said. “Are you going to have to stay?”

“I'm not sure what our game plan is,” Heechul replied.

“You can leave,” Mr. Lee offered. “I seriously doubt the power problem is going to be fixed today. Not while the rain holds up.”

“Looks like I can leave,” Heechul told Seunghyun.

“I'm going to come pick you up, so sit tight, okay?”

“Okay.”

They hung up.

 

 

Heechul slid his phone back into his pocket. He walked around the back of the counter to pick up the novel he was reading, as well as a new cookbook he had purchased. In the month that they had been texting and talking, Heechul and Seunghyun discovered they worked in the same area of town. They weren't able to get together often because of their different schedules, and the whole firm being swamped with a large case. Seunghyun had been able to bring lunch a couple of times. He often worked late- almost nightly- and was exhausted when he got home. This would be the first time they were alone together. Heechul took a deep breath to steady his nerves. Then one more for good luck.

“Are you sure about this man, Heechul?” Mr. Lee asked. “About marrying him?” Surly as he was, Mr. Lee was a bit overprotective of his most loyal- and only- employee of the past five years.

“Of course!” Heechul exclaimed, trying to steel his nerves. “Seunghyun is handsome and rich. What more could a boy want?”

“Happiness.”

Heechul swallowed.

“You are allowed to be happy, you know. Whether it's with the one your mother picked, or someone else.”

Heechul forced a smile to his face. “I am happy.”

Mr. Lee nodded once. Heechul's cell phone dinged. I'm here. Heechul looked up to see a Lexus parked in front of the store.

“I know a good divorce lawyer,” Mr. Lee offered.

Heechul grinned. “I'll let Seunghyun know how optimistic you are.”

Mr. Lee just shrugged.

 

 


Heechul was still grinning when he climbed into Seunghyun's car.

“What's up?” Seunghyun asked.

“Mr. Lee let me know he knows a good divorce lawyer in case I'm unhappy.”

Seunghyun snorted. “Tell him I appreciate the vote of confidence.” He grabbed Heechul's hand and brought it to his lips. “How was your day?” he asked, squeezing Heechul's fingers.

“Good. Short. I wasn't able to read much of The Bell Jar because I got distracted watching the storm. I did pick up a new cookbook, though.”

When Seunghyun stopped at a red light, he glanced at Heechul's new book: The Art of French Macarons. He grinned widely, dimples popping. “I love macarons.”

Heechul blushed. “Your mom told me. Figured I would learn.”

Seunghyun smiled, interlocking their fingers.

 

 

As they drove uptown, they left the storm behind them. There was even power on this side of town.

“Want to see a movie?” Seunghyun asked.

“Sure. What are you in the mood for?”

“How about something scary? Then I can hold you when you get scared.”

Heechul raised an eyebrow. “What if I don't get scared?”

“Then you can hold me.”

They settled themselves in the back row with a healthy portion of drinks and snacks. Seunghyun raised the armrest between them and waggled his eyebrows. Heechul just rolled his eyes and blushed once again.

 

 

Heechul did end up curled next to Seunghyun. He slid his shoes off and tucked his feet up, leaning his head on Seunghyun's shoulder. Seunghyun wrapped his arm around Heechul's waist. He would press kisses into Heechul's hair whenever Heechul would turn his face from the screen. Heechul would bury his face in Seunghyun's neck and breathe deeply, trembling when Seunghyun would kiss him or squeeze a little tighter.

 

 

“Where to next?” Heechul asked as they stretching during the end credits.

Seunghyun yawned and grabbed Heechul's hand. “I wonder if either one of us has power.”

The evening air was cool and sticky. The rain had ended, but the pavement was still wet. Seunghyun stuffed their interlocked hands into his jacket pocket as they walked along the street. It was brightly lit, and people were slowly beginning to emerge. They came across a coffee cart, and Seunghyun squeezed Heechul's fingers. “Care for some coffee?” he asked.

“Tea, please, if they have any.”

Drinks in hand, they turned away and continued their walk. Seunghyun dropped their hands and wrapped an arm around Heechul's waist. Heechul smiled to himself and leaned into Seunghyun, getting a warm smile in return.

“This is nice,” Heechul said softly.

“It is,” Seunghyun replied. “I don't think I've done something like this on a date.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Even if it was dinner or an art exhibit, it was always somewhere where there was a ton of people. See and be seen, you know? Never a chance to just relax and be quiet.”

Heechul was silent before responding. “Were your dates very glamorous?”

“Yes, but there was nothing beneath the glitz. They were shallow and boring. They always had to be around people and partying because to be alone with their own heads was too terrifying because they were empty.”

Heechul looked up at Seunghyun in surprise. “You sound bitter.”

Seunghyun made a face. “Maybe. I've honestly never sat down and explored these feelings. I just know that I feel like I wasn't myself with them. I was more who they wanted me to be.”

“Do you think you could be yourself with me?” Heechul asked.

Seunghyun smiled down at him. “So far, so good,” he chuckled, kissing his fiancee on the head.

 

 

They stopped in front of a jewelry store window.

“You didn't strike me as a blingy person,” Seunghyun said.

“I'm not,” Heechul replied. “A lot of jewelry is to gaudy. But I can still appreciate good craftsmanship. Like my mom, who doesn't wear heels often, but she can still appreciate a beautiful, classic pair.”

“Good thing your mom is picking out the rings, then.”

“Yep. Hope you like simple and silver.”

“Sure do.”

Heechul quirked an eyebrow, but said nothing.

 

 

They crossed the street and began to walk back to Seunghyun's car.

“My parents are buying us a condo,” Seunghyun said, chucking their cups into a bin.

“It's ridiculous.”

Seunghyun looked surprised. “Why is it ridiculous?”

“Because it's so much money,” Heechul replied. “Why can't we live at your place?”

“Because it's too small. And unfortunately, the occasional ex will drop by. Not to mention, my parents are wealthy and I'm an only child.”

“But it's so much money!” Heechul insisted.

Seunghyun threw his arm around Heechul's shoulders, and pulled him close once again. “I know you're used to struggling with money. But my parents are good and careful with money, and they've taught me well. This condo will not break the bank. Me spoiling you won't break the bank,”

“You can't spoil me!”

“I can and I will,” Seunghyun declared as they reached the car.

Heechul frowned as Seunghyun held the door open for him.

 

 


The ride back to Heechul's small home was a quiet one, each man seemingly lost in their own thoughts. Heechul didn't even realize they had pulled in front of his mom's bed and breakfast until Seunghyun broke into his thoughts.

“Is your mom home?” he asked.

Heechul gazed at the small building. “Most likely. One of us tries to always be here just in case a guest needs something.”

Seunghyun raised his fingers and gently traced Heechul's cheek.

Heechul bit his lip and closed his eyes. He wanted to lean into his fiancee's touch, but he was still nervous.

“What is it?” Seunghyun asked softly.

Heechul sighed. “Seunghyun, do you really think you could be yourself with me? I mean, really think so?”

“As I said earlier, so far, so good,” Seunghyun answered. “What's the matter? Are you having second thoughts?”

“Not... not second thoughts, exactly. I just... wonder...if this is the right move for us. I mean, we barely know each other. And we're getting married next month.

“I know,” Seunghyun said, lifting Heechul's hand to kiss it. “It's a scary thing- it scares me too. But the last time my mom set me up with someone, it worked. As much as a teenage relationship can work.”

Heechul allowed himself a faint smile.

“But my mom has never steered me wrong. I trust her, and she trusts you and your mom.”

“I guess every marriage is a leap of faith.”

“Exactly, exactly.” Seunghyun kissed both of Heechul's hands. “This is going to be a learning experience for both of us. We just need to go slow and have patience.”

Heechul smiled.

 

 

Seunghyun's hands moved up to cradle Heechul's face. “Can I kiss you?”

Heechul blushed, smiling widely. “Yes.”

Seunghyun pressed their lips together and Heechul's head span. When the kiss was deepened, Heechul felt his heart try desperately to break free from his chest. He felt as if the air had been from his lungs. He didn't have much kissing experience, but he knew it didn't get better than this. He shivered.

Seunghyun pulled away and smiled at him. “Go inside and get some rest.” He rubbed their noses together. “I'll see you soon.”

Heechul was a little dazed, but smiled and climbed out of the car with his books. Waving to Seunghyun, he let himself into the quiet house.