Chapter 6

Scarred Beauty

“Myungsoo, I can’t eat lunch with you in school anymore.” Ahreum stopped her swing.  

Myungsoo simply nodded his head at her words.

“You are not asking me why?”  Ahreum turned to face her best friend.

“You don’t want me to ask, isn’t it?” he looked into her eyes.

Ahreum looked away, afraid that Myungsoo could see through her. He mustn’t know. He would only get angry and confront his fan club. When that happens, it would only make things worse for both of them. Ahreum knew she shouldn’t give in but like a coward she has always been; she chose to run away. Deep inside, she agreed with them. She didn’t deserve a friend like Myungsoo. She never did.

“Yes.” She replied softly.

“Then I shan’t ask.” He said.

“Maybe it’s because of him.” He thought to himself. Kim Joonmyun. He read his name tag before he left.

“I am sorry.” Ahreum said softly.

“I’ll go first. I want to photograph the sunset at the beach today.” Myungsoo said as he stood up from the swing.

“I hope the sunset will be beautiful today.” Ahreum said.

“I hope so too.” Myungsoo replied and left without waving.

Closing the door behind her, Ahreum collapsed onto her bed. She heard the wood beneath her protest. She closed her eyes and recalled Myungsoo’s expression. Ahreum knew he was upset. They were friends for years. His tone and actions showed it all.

To: Myungsoo

Did you catch the sunset in time?

Myungsoo didn’t reply even after an hour passed. She was certain he was angry now. It was evening, Ahreum decided to drop by Aroma Café. She needed a sweet treat.

“Welcome. May I take your order?” The girl asked in a not-so-polite tone.

Ahreum scanned the counter before looking back at her.

“Can I have the new caramel drink please?” she replied softly.

“It will be 6500KRW.” She said in an unpleasant manner.

Turning her back almost immediately, she prepared her drink. Ahreum peered around the café to realize Joonmyun wasn’t around. She felt slightly disappointed.

“Here.” The girl took the money from Ahreum and simply placed the drink on the tray.

“M-May I ask if Joonmyun-ssi around today?” Ahreum asked, taking the drink in her hand.

At her question, the barista rolled her eyes and clucked her tongue in disapproval.

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” she replied curtly.

“I…” Ahreum got cut off almost immediately.

“Oh. Could it be you don’t have his number?” she said sarcastically.  Ahreum’s silence proved her right.

“I am saying this for your own good, miss. Joonmyun treats everyone nicely in an equal manner. Some people tend to overthink his actions and kindness. But he’s actually someone who is especially kind to the stray dog who has no friends in our neighbourhood. Do you get what I mean?” she smirked.

Ahreum squeezed her plastic cup and stared back at the barista. She slowly blinked her long lashes before putting on an obvious faked smile.

“Thank you for patronizing.” She bowed. 

Ahreum walked out of the café with the caramel drink in her hand. She took a sip and continued walking slowly down the streets. Her words replayed like a broken recorder in her mind and Ahreum felt her nose sour. She had forgotten. She had forgotten she was Park Ahreum. Why would someone like Joonmyun like her? Even if not romantically, why would he like her as a friend?  

“He’s especially kind to the stray dog who has no friends in our neighbourhood.”

She told herself she wouldn’t cry but she still did. She should have known better. That night, Ahreum held onto her phone and her tears refused to stop falling. There were so many times Ahreum wanted to call Myungsoo. She would key in Myungsoo’s mobile number but erase it the next moment. She wanted to talk to MyungsooAhreum decided to browse the internet to distract herself. Then, she saw her unclosed browser and saw Myungsoo’s blog.

Ahreum bit her lips and switched off her phone.

-

Ahreum quickly got out of bed upon realizing she had fallen asleep without switching her phone back on. Stumbling into the toilet, she hurriedly washed up and got ready for school. Rushing out of home, she sprinted for the subway station. She could feel beads of perspiration forming on her forehead as her uniform began to stick to her sweat drenched back. She squeezed through the crowded platform and managed to hop onto the departing train just on time. She could feel the intense gaze on her as usual. Ahreum sighed, wishing she didn’t oversleep.

As the train arrive at the crowded subway station, more people got onto the train. The commuters were packed like sardines in can. Ahreum felt uncomfortable as she could feel the hand of the person behind her pressing against her body. Moving slightly forward, Ahreum attempted to make space between her and the stranger. Then, she felt it again. Ahreum bit her lips and shuffled forward, convincing herself that she was thinking too much. This time, she felt the stranger squeeze her . It can’t be wrong. She clenched her fists and held it in. Seconds later, he proceeded to lift up her skirt.

“Stop it.” She called out sternly as she turned around.

“W-Why are you touching me?” she confronted him.

The commuters took a step back at the commotion in the train. The man behind her looked like he was in his 40s. He held both hands up and scoffed in disbelief.

“Yah. Are you kidding me right now?” he laughed.

“When did I touch you? Where did I touch you? Do you have proof?” he rolled his eyes.

“Y-You touched me at my b-.” Ahreum hesitantly voiced out.

“Yah, everyone. Does this even make sense to you? Why’d I touch someone like you when there’s so many other prettier girls in this train?” he pointed at the crowd who nodded in agreement.

“You-” Ahreum felt tears welling up in her eyes at his words.

The commuters in the train showered her with doubtful and judging stares.

“Are you by any chance desperate?” he laughed and some commuters laughed too at his remark.

“Apologize.” A voice said from behind.

Ahreum looked up to find someone in her school uniform making his way to the front.

“It’s him.” She thought to herself. 

 

 

Author's Note:
Thank you for reading 'Scarred Beauty' <3
It's really encouraging to see so much love from you guys!^^
Stay tuned to the next chapter  (: