Chapter 11

Scarred Beauty


Myungsoo sat outside the building of SN Entertainment. He watched the crowd of fans sitting outside the building from afar. He observed the people going in and out of the building. However, out of the many people, he didn’t see Ahreum at all. Dejected, he decided to leave after a couple of hours. She told him not to worry and just wait for her. He knew she wouldn’t lie to him. She said she would be fine. But how could he not worry? She is his best friend. More than anyone else, Myungsoo knew how she was made of broken glass pieces inside her. If he were to let go, would she really not fall apart? He was scared, especially when she just disappeared like this. 

“Where are you, Ahreum-ah?” he sighed.  

“This is where I’ll stay?” Ahreum asked.

“Yes, this is where you will stay. I signed you privately so I’ll be responsible for you. If you need anything, just tell me. You have my number, right?” Sunggyu said.

Ahreum nodded at his question and quietly studied her new apartment. It looked cosy and well-furnished, a stark contrast from her previous one.

“Here’s your monthly trainee allowance.” Sunggyu said, handing her an envelope.

“We will need to record a demo tomorrow. Be prepared.” He said.

Ahreum nodded yet again.

“Yah, are you mute?” Sunggyu suddenly snapped.

“I-I understand.” Ahreum replied, pouting slightly at his outburst.

“Good. I’ll leave you to rest.” He said, turning his back on Ahreum.

“Sunggyu-ssi.” Ahreum called out.

“What?” Sunggyu turned back.

“Thank you.” Ahreum said sincerely with a 90 degrees’ bow.

“If you’re really thankful, don’t ever give up on yourself again.” He said and closed the door behind him.

Ahreum walked around the foreign environment in circles before unpacking her stuff. She still couldn’t believe what had happened. She pinched herself real hard and it hurts so badly. This is not a dream. She smiled.

-

“Wait for me outside.” Sunggyu said.

Ahreum halted her footsteps and waited outside the door. She watched how Sunggyu adjusted his hair and suit before opening the door. She noticed how he took a deep breath too. He seemed nervous.

“So… I heard you signed a new girl.” The man before him said, spinning his chair around.

Sunggyu held onto the demo tightly and took a step forward.

“Her name is Park Ahreum.” Sunggyu said.

“Is that her?” The older man asked, pushing a photo across the table.

Sunggyu nodded and before he could speak, his father slammed down on the table.

“What were you even thinking before signing the contract?” he slammed down on the table.

“She can sing really well.” Sunggyu replied calmly as he placed the recorder on the table and hit the ‘play’ button. Ahreum’s demo played and her soothing voice filled the room.

He simmered down slightly once the song ended.

“She sings decently.” He acknowledged.

“But SN will never debut her.” He placed his pen down.

“Why?” Sunggyu asked, staring straight at his father.

“Do you really not know why?” he smirked.

“Ah... Because she’s fat?” Sunggyu laughed cynically. He almost forgot how his father only debuts pretty faces. That’s why people in the industry always calls SN the visual company.

“Unless you let her go for surgery else, there’s nothing left to say for this girl.” He folded his arms in serious consideration.

“Why is it that surgery is always the best you can come up with?” Sunggyu spat bitterly, clenching his fist. His mind drifted to a certain someone and anger was building up within him.  

“I am always right, Sunggyu.” He said, landing his eyes on the large poster in his office.

Sunggyu followed his gaze to the poster on the wall and he clenched his fists even tighter.

Ahreum took a few steps back, away from the gap of the unclosed door and turned around. Sunggyu probably didn’t want her to hear that so he asked her to wait outside. Plastic surgery, she repeated in her mind.

People used to say, “Dreams come with a cost.” Now, she finally knew what they meant.

Sunggyu noticed the gap in the door as he pushed it open.

“Did you hear anything?” he asked.

“No, I didn’t.” Ahreum lied.

“Good. Let’s go then.” Sunggyu said as he walked off ahead first.

-

Ahreum quickly pulled the towel off her head as she ran to the door. Panting slightly, she opened the door to find Sunggyu at the door step.

“Let’s go for dinner.” He said.

Ahreum got into the car and she felt the car weigh down slightly at her weight. Playing with her fingers, she looked down consciously. It’s hard not to notice such small things when they are so apparent.

“Safety belt.” Sunggyu reminded.

She quickly pulled the belt to realize it’s stuck and not long enough. Biting her lips, she pulled harder and finally, it was long enough for her. Buckling up, she flashed an awkward smile at Sunggyu who started the engine. Tossing the car key in the air, the parking staff caught it just in time. Ushering them into the restaurant, Ahreum realized how posh their dinner venue was. She felt like a sore thumb sticking out in the polished environment. Sunggyu finally realized her uncomfortableness when she was looking around non-stop. He totally didn’t realize what she was wearing. 

“Do you seriously only have sweatshirts in your wardrobe?” he scoffed.

“To be frank, those are the only few I can really fit in.” She replied, looking down at her lap.

Her words made Sunggyu feel slightly guilty. He didn’t mean it that way.

Clearing his throat, he asked, “What do you want to eat?”

“Anything is fine.” Ahreum replied softly.

“In that case… 2 sets of beef steak, medium rare.” He said, closing the menu.

“I am going to the washroom.” She informed as she stood up from her seat.

Ahreum washed her face and looked herself in the mirror. All she saw was malicious curls, dark circles, round face and stomach bulging out from her oversized sweat shirt. She sighed. The washroom door flung open and a beautiful lady cladded in a red dress walked in. She rolled her eyes upon seeing Ahreum before the basin.

“They really do let just anyone in these days.” She remarked, slamming the cubicle door.

Ahreum felt a pang in her heart but she didn’t blame her. If she was her, she’d have said the same thing to herself. Ahreum shuffled heavy footsteps out of the toilet. Then, she halted and quickly hid behind the wall.

“Sunggyu!” Joonmyun called out.

“Why are you here?” he smiled brightly.

Sunggyu’s smile faded when he saw Yoori behind Joonmyun. Her surprised look was quickly concealed by a fake smile. Sunggyu stood up from his seat and stared at Yoori.

“You two know each other?” Joonmyun asked, sensing the awkwardness filling in the air.

“We are friends.” Yoori quickly said.

“Friends.” Sunggyu repeated, laughing at himself in his mind.

“If you don’t mind, I’ve something to say to this friend of mine.” Sunggyu said sarcastically as he dragged Yoori out by her wrist.

“Let go.” Yoori said as she struggled.

“So we are just friends?” he asked.

“You didn’t think we had something more than that, right Sunggyu?” she laughed, taking a step closer to him. 

"We are both half-adults...Just because we did this doesn't mean I love you." Yoori forced herself to say those harsh words as she kissed Sunggyu. 

Sunggyu released his grip as he wiped his lips roughly. Their kiss meant nothing to her. He was utterly disappointed and couldn't help but mentally mock himself.

"I promise you'll regret. And just a correction: We are not friends. There's nothing between us." Sunggyu said.

Then, Sunggyu spotted a familiar figure dashing for the door. He clucked his tongue in disbelief.

“Then excuse me because I am here with someone today. Bye.” Sunggyu said, left some bills at the outdoor counter before running out of the door.

“Yah!” He shouted behind her.

She kept running. She was afraid they would see her. They must not see her.

“Stop there, Park Ahreum.” Sunggyu yelled and she kept running.

He was getting annoyed as he sped up. They ran for quite some distance before Ahreum finally stopped running as her poor stamina caught up with her.

“Why did you run away just now?” he asked, walking up to her.

She remained silent as she looked away.

Sunggyu took a step closer, “Are you actually afraid to see them? Or are you just embarrassed of yourself?”

His words hit home. Deep inside, she knew the answer. It was scary how Sunggyu could see through things and people so clearly. Ahreum opened but no words came out. She felt a sour, tingling feeling in her nose. Then, Sunggyu took another step closer and placed both his hands on her shoulder.

“Next time, don’t run away. Wait here. I’ll go get my car.” He said and left.

“Joonmyun. Do you still like him even if he likes your cousin?” he asked, halfway through the drive.

Ahreum snapped her head in the direction of Sunggyu, “How did you know I-”

“Your recording, remember?” Sunggyu reminded.

“Ah.” Ahreum remembered as she lowered her head. At his question, she nodded her head.

Sunggyu was about to say something but instead, he quickly stepped on the brakes upon realizing the traffic light turned red. He looked to his right to see if she was alright. Then, he saw Ahreum look up at the overhead advertisement banner and a wide smile appeared on her initially sullen face.

“You like Taeyeon?” he asked, following her gaze.  

She nodded excitedly and clasped her hands together, “Everything about her is perfect~ ”

Sunggyu burst out laughing at her sudden confession to Taeyeon. He wasn’t expecting that at all. Embarrassed, Ahreum bit her lips.

“I see.” He responded in yet another amused expression.

Reaching the carpark, Sunggyu reversed effortlessly into the parking space. He switched the engine off and the two was immediately engulfed in a deafening silence.

“Tomorrow, we will be seeing a dietician.” Sunggyu said.  

Ahreum nodded and replied with a soft, “Okay.”  

“Dietician.” She repeated in her mind. He didn't say surgeon, she noted. 


 

Author's Note:
I am sorry for the super late update of this new chapter! 
I had to sort some things out regarding the plot thus, the delay<3
Thank you so much for reading 'Scarred Beauty' !
These few chapters will be more about Ahreum's starting afresh phase.
And it will be predominantly Sunggyu-centric *winks* Stay tuned.
Please also comment if you're enjoying this fic (':