Chapter 4

Scarred Beauty

“Hey.” Sunggyu punched Joonmyun in the arm.

“Yah, you’re 15 minutes late.” Joonmyun checked his watch.

“Sorry, I drank too much last night.” Sunggyu scratched his head.

“Yah, must you wear those spectacles of yours.” Sunggyu tried to remove his spectacles.

“It makes me look smarter, don’t you agree?” Joonmyun pushed Sungyu’s hands away and fixed his spectacles.

“You know, I met a girl last night at the club. She’s an interesting one.” Sunggyu smiled.

“Did you get her number?” Joonmyun eyed Sunggyu’s bright smile in an interested manner.

“She is in our school.” Sunggyu whispered in his ear.

“Can’t wait to see the girl that had my friend grinning from ear to ear like an idiot.” He laughed and Sunggyu smacked his back in retaliation.

“Ouch! That hurts.” Joonmyun hit Sunggyu’s arm playfully.

-

“Why are they following me?” Ahreum thought to herself as she walked faster, glancing back from time to time.

Entering the toilet, Ahreum hid in the last cubicle and propped her legs up. The silence was killing her every second.

It was like the peace before the storm strikes. She trembled as past memories haunted her.

“Go away!” She yelled, covering her ears.

“Yah. Get out.” She heard someone shout and kick the cubicle door. They found her.

“Fatso, I am talking to you!” Another person yelled.

Then, Ahreum heard some sounds from above. The next moment, she saw water gushing down from above. She was drenched completely from head to toe.

“Get out now.” The person dropped the red pail from above.

Ahreum opened the door with trembling hands and they rushed in, pinning her down on the seat cover.

“This is the first warning.” The girl said.

“Stay away from Myungsoo oppa.” She then showed her a picture of them at the rooftop with Myungsoo’s hand above hers.

“We are not what you think-” Ahreum defended.

“Of course you’re not dating. Why’d oppa date someone like you?” she laughed, staring down at Ahreum's wet uniform sticking to her bulky body. 

“Someone like you don’t even deserve to be friends with Myungsoo oppa.” She smirked.

“Don’t you agree?” she pinched her face real hard.

Tears fell and Ahreum refused to nod her head. Myungsoo was her friend since they were 12. She was the one who told him he looked perfect even when the other kids used to laugh at his malicious curls. She was the one who told him it was okay to follow his heart and take up photography even though his parents wanted him to learn guitar. And he was the one who encouraged her to start singing again. He was the one who accepted all her flaws and stayed by her side all this time. They used to only have each other in their world. Who was she to judge whether she was worthy or not worthy as Myungsoo’s best friend?

“And you think Myungsoo would like someone like you?” Ahreum mustered up every ounce of courage she could find within her.

The girl scoffed in disbelief at Ahreum’s reply, “Gosh. Did you girls hear that?”

“Hold her.” She demanded and raised her hand.

Giving her 2 tight slaps, the leader spat in Ahreum’s face.

“This is my second warning.” She gritted her teeth. 

“I don’t know what will happen if you need a last warning.” She threatened and left.

The bell went off but Ahreum continued sitting inside the cubicle.

She wished she could lock out the outside world like this, forever. 

To: Myungsoo

I am feeling unwell. I will be going home first.

Ahreum dragged her feet to her locker and when she opened it, she realized that her sports attire was stolen. Indeed, she shouldn’t have expected less from them.

It used to only be endless insults and hurtful words. Now, the game has changed. She sighed, closing the locker door.

Joonmyun was counting the students’ workbook as he walked back to class, ensuring he took everything from the teacher’s desk. Then, he noticed a trail of water droplets and footsteps. Tilting his head in curiousity, he followed it to find a familiar figure at the students’ locker area.

“Ahreum? Is that you?” Ahreum turned her back almost immediately.

 “What happened-” His concern made her feel burdened.

“P-Please don’t ask anymore.” Ahreum tried her best to quieten her sob as she wiped those tears away roughly.   

Then, she heard the sound of a locker door closing and the next moment, she felt something on her head. He pushed the cap lower, covering half of her face.

“I don’t know what happened but I hope this helps.” He said concernedly.

“T-Thank you Joonmyun.” She mumbled and tears began to fall again.

“You look like you’re in need of some caramel right now.” He said and she laughed, thankful that he appeared like a shelter amongst the storm.   

The nurse came to fetch Ahreum’s bag and the class started gossiping about her.

“Maybe she ate too much so she had indigestion.” Someone guessed.

“Or maybe she fell because her legs couldn’t support her body anymore.” Someone else said.

 “Park Ahreum, seems like you’re not very liked by your classmates either.” Yoori thought to herself.

Admiring the rooftop picture she took, she wondered what Myungsoo’s fan club did to her.

-

“I don’t know what will happen if you need a last warning.” Her words replayed in Ahreum’s mind.

The swing went back and forth, the metal chain creaking because of Ahreum’s weight. A smile graced her face as she remembered the old days when Myungsoo would play with her at this abandoned playground because the other neighbourhood kids refused to play with them. They said Ahreum ran too slow and Myungsoo was too quiet so it was no fun playing with them. However, she was thankful. It was because of that they became closer. However, years passed, Myungsoo straightened out his curls that hid his perfect features. Instantly, he became the heartthrob in high school while she remained hideous as ever.

“Why?” Ahreum looked up at the sky and mumbled.

“Why must I be born looking like this?” she sank her nails in her thighs.

Looking down at her fat thighs with multiple nail marks, more tears fell. She cried out loud, knowing nobody would hear her. Ahreum had tried. She tried different brands of slimming pills. She tried starving herself for days until a point when she fainted. She tried running everyday until her joints ached so badly she had to take painkillers. Water diet, watermelon diet, you name it, she tried it. She tried so many different methods but it never seemed to work so she eventually gave up. 

An hour later, Ahreum found herself standing before her favourite BBQ store. She needed comfort and food always worked. It was always there for her and it made her feel good. It filled up the emptiness and momentarily, she could forget everything that bothered her. At least in that moment, she was happy.

“Another plate here imo!” She raised her hand.

The customers in the restaurant casted glances at her table filled with stacked empty plates and new orders.

“Your food are getting cold if you keep staring at the fat girl eat.” Ahreum said out loud with a sarcastic laughter, digging at her rice.

The customers avoided eye contact and focused back on grilling their meat.

“Here you go.” The lady placed yet another plate of meat on her table.

“Thank you.” Ahreum said with a bitter smile as she threw the meat on the grill.

Up to a certain point, she could no longer taste the meat. Ahreum was just stuffing herself mouth after mouth.

That night, Ahreum stood by the roadside for a long time and watched the passing cars.

 

 

 

Author's Note: 
Thank you for reading 'Scarred Beauty' <3
Honestly, the lack of comments are making me self-doubt whether this story is bad): 
I sincerely hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am writing this though TT