Chapter 13

Scarred Beauty

 

“Park Ahreum! If you’re going to be like this. Just give up now.” Sunggyu shouted as he dug more packets of junk food from Ahreum’s wardrobe and threw it on the floor. He knew something was wrong when Minseok told him that her weight pattern was abnormal. Ahreum lowered her head as tears fell on the packets of junk food. She felt ashamed.

“You call this, trying your best?” Sunggyu pointed at the chocolate bars, chips and packaged ramen. 

“I am sorry, Sunggyu. I-I am sorry…” Ahreum  apologized non-stop. She hated herself too. She hated how she had so little self-control over herself. She knew she shouldn’t have bought them too. She knew she should be working out harder than ever but it was so hard. 

“ Sometimes, I doubt if you really want to be a singer.” Sunggyu kicked the packets away and turned around angrily.

“I-I will get rid of them right away... Please don’t be angry.“ Ahreum squatted and picked them up.

Sunggyu turned around and saw how more tears fell. His gaze softened as he recalled how hard Ahreum has been working out for the past months. Maybe, he was being overboard, he thought to himself. He watched her violently wiped away her tears as she gathered the packets. Sunggyu sighed. He then joined her in picking up the tidbits. Ahreum looked at Sunggyu with watery eyes. He wasn’t angry at her anymore and she was glad. So glad. 

“If you want to achieve your dreams, there are some things you have to throw away completely. Your past and these.” Sunggyu said as he placed them in her hands.

Ahreum nodded and she dropped all of them into the apartment bin. She met his eyes with new determination burning within her.

"I can do this, right?" She asked. 

"I believe you can." Sunggyu placed his hands firmly on her shoulders.

-

6 Months Later...

“How have you been feeling these days?” Jung Yeon asked.

“I haven’t been hearing the voices for quite some time.” Ahreum said with a relieved smile.

“That’s good.” She scribbled some notes down.

“If you are no longer having troubles sleeping, cut down on the pills I gave you.” She instructed.

“Ne, I will do just that.” Ahreum said.

“Is there anything else you’d like to tell me?” she wriggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“What was that for?” Ahreum laughed cutely at her expression.

“Like whether our Ahreum has a new trainee boyfriend or something in SN.” She winked.

“Aniyo! I have always been training and recording alone… Sometimes, I wonder if I am really SN’s trainee.” Ahreum sighed.

“Of course you are! On top of that, a very, very special trainee picked by our strict and picky vice president, Kim Sunggyu! Oh. Kekeke... Actually, Sunggyu is not too bad an option too.” Jung Yeon laughed. 

“Stop saying such weird things. He’s just a friend. ” Ahreum quickly denied. Her words made her uncomfortable. Sunggyu would probably kill Jung Yeon if he ever heard this, she thought to herself.

“Everything starts with friends…” Jung Yeon grinned, making Ahreum facepalm. She can never win when it comes to debating.

The receptionist knocked on the door, informing that Ahreum's consultation time was over and the next patient has arrived.

“Seeya next time.” Jung Yeon waved excitedly. Ahreum couldn't recall exactly when her relationship with Jung Yeon evolved from a doctor-patient relationship to close friends. But she was glad that they did. Perhaps it was those times when drunk Jung Yeon suddenly popped up at her doorstep and insisted to stay over at her apartment. She would then rant about everything little things in her gibberish and cute talking manner. Ahreum liked to listen to her talk about anything and everthing. It felt good to be someone else's listening ears. 

“You’re late.” Sunggyu pointed out.

“Sorry.” Ahreum apologized habitually earning a glare from Sunggyu.

“Sorry.” She said again, biting her lips this time.

“Let’s go.” Sunggyu said.

-

“You like it here?” Sunggyu asked, getting out of the car.

Ahreum’s eyes sparkled at the scenery before her. Sunggyu walked ahead and settled near the edge of the cliff. Looking back, he beckoned for Ahreum to join him. Ahreum took careful steps towards Sunggyu as she feared the height. Then, he casually offered his hand. Ahreum hesitated for a few seconds before taking his hand.

"He is just helping me because it was dangerous. Nothing more, nothing less." Ahreum thought to herself.

“I like coming to this place.It makes me feel so small before mother nature.” Sunggyu closed his eyes as he laid back comfortably.

Ahreum laid on her back too and watched the clouds drift by. It was really healing and comfortable, she thought. Sunggyu turned to Ahreum and studied her features. Her features were so well defined now that her fats were gone. Her big eyes, sculptured-like nose and cherry lips were really beautiful. Ahreum felt Sunggyu’s gaze on her so she turned to him.

“What’s wrong?” Ahreum asked, wiping her face.

“Is there something on my face?” she thought to herself.

“Nothing.” Sunggyu suddenly sat up straight.

Ahreum did the same and trailed behind Sunggyu who got up, saying they should start exercising. 30 minutes later, Ahreum stopped in her tracks. She picked up a beautiful maple leaf. She was reminded of how Myungsoo used to climb the neighbourhood tree to pick a perfectly shaped maple leaf for her when they were younger. A gentle smile graced her lips as she was brushed the dirt off it.

“What are you doing?” Sunggyu ran back upon realizing she had stopped.

“Thinking of a friend.” She said, placing the leaf into her pocket.

Sunggyu didn’t say anything as he continued running and she followed. He didn’t exactly want to know who the person was. However, he felt as if he knew who it was. It should not be bugging him but it was. He hated the feeling.

Sunggyu passed a bottled water to Ahreum and she muttered a quick ‘thank you’ before gulping it down.

“Park Ahreum, I have something to tell you...” He said in a serious tone. 

"You're going to debut." He broke the news and frowned the next moment when Ahreum spat water all over his car. 

"YAHHHH! PARK AHREUMMMMM YOU-"

 

"Life is a canvass and you are the painter who can decide how the masterpiece turn out to be."

 

Author's Note:

This marks a new chapter in Ahreum's life. Thank you for sticking by her all this time. 
It will not exactly be a smooth-sailing journey from here but I hope you'll enjoy the upcoming chapters! 

Sorry for the delayed update because I had to do some thinking & plot finalizing.
Things will start to get exciting from here :D *winks winks*
Who are you shipping? XD