Chapter 5

Scarred Beauty

To: Ahreum

You’re not in school today. Are you sick?
 

To: Ahreum

Why are you not replying me?
 

To: Ahreum

Yah! Is everything okay?

Ahreum had been sitting on the swing for half a day. She checks her phone and realized apart from Myungsoo, nobody had texted her. Not even her class president. Maybe, no one even realized she was absent. It struck Ahreum that she could vanish on this Earth and nobody would come looking for her, perhaps with the exception of Myungsoo. Ahreum never realized how Myungsoo made up her entire world. And maybe, it’s because of her that Myungsoo had no other friends. She was the selfish one that kept him for herself. Without her, Myungsoo would probably have so many better friends. Not a loser like herself. 

Myungsoo’s endless texts made her cry. However, she didn’t reply. Ahreum looked up at the sky decorated with fluffy clouds and wondered. She wondered if her parents were happier up there. She wondered if one day, she’d join them, will she be happier? She hope so. Because living is so much pain.
In the Korean society where beauty rules, she was like a dirt. Taking a stroll down the streets, you would see girls with beautiful makeup and endless legs everywhere. Unlike her, they were the majority.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Those were lies. Big fat lies.

Ahreum sinks her nails in her thighs again and felt the pain. The pain that made her feel alive. The pain that made her remember how ugly she was. She didn’t need a mirror like what Yoori said to remember how ugly she was. Every breath she took reminded her. Every time she walked, her fats reminded her.  Every day she left house, strangers reminded her. She didn’t need a mirror. She never needed one.

“You idiot.” Ahreum heard Myungsoo’s voice.

She looked up to see Myungsoo running over, panting heavily.

“You have been here the entire day?!” He raised his voice.

Myungsoo seldom gets angry at her. The only time he did was when he found Ahreum sitting on the ledge of the building when she was 16, holding onto the mirror Yoori gave her. Myungsoo threw the mirror down and pulled her back. He yelled at her as she cried for hours. Myungsoo was scared, Ahreum could tell from his eyes. It was back then that Ahreum first realized someone actually cared.  

“Myungsoo-” Ahreum called out.

“Can’t you just sit down next to me and not get angry?” she requested.

Myungsoo clenched his fist and looked at his best friend who looked as if she would crumble any moment. Suppressing the dying urge to get to the bottom of her disappearance, he sat down at the swing beside her.

“Thank you.” Ahreum mumbled under her breath and cried.

Myungsoo remained silent as he watched the tears cascade down her cheeks. He didn’t say anything. He never knew what to say whenever she cried so he merely sat beside her. Myungsoo figured his presence would make Ahreum feel better. And silently, he was glad that she wasn’t crying alone and thinking of scary things anymore. Or so he thought.  

-

“Can you tell me what happened now?” Myungsoo looked to Ahreum.

“I just missed my parents.” Ahreum lied.

Myungsoo fell silent for a moment and Ahreum figured he didn’t know what to respond. They both looked up at the cloudless night sky with the bright moon watching over them from above.

“Want to come to my house for dinner?” Myungsoo suddenly suggested.

“It’s fine. I have food at home.” Ahreum said and half-jogged in the opposite direction.

“I will be fine. See you in school tomorrow!” She waved at Myungsoo who waved back slightly. 

The moment Myungsoo was out of sight, Ahreum slowed down.  “I will be fine.” She told herself again.

-

To: Myungsoo

I won’t be eating lunch with you. Girls problem. ><

Ahreum laid in the bed at the nurse’s office. In this place, she always felt protected. Since the start of middle school, it was her safe haven. Whenever she was hiding from them, she would go to the nurse’s office.

“Park Ahreum-ssi, are you feeling better? School is starting in 30 minutes.” The nurse said.

Ahreum pretended to cover her stomach and groan in pain. “I will leave in 30 minutes then.”

The nurse shook her head and left her alone. She wondered if her acting was that bad.

“Ahreum?” she heard someone call her name as she quickly sat up.

“It’s really you!” Joonmyun looked happy to see her here.

“You are feeling unwell too?” Ahreum scanned him from head to toe worriedly.

“Aniyo. My friend asked me to get him some migraine medicine.” He showed the pill to her.

“Are you okay?” he asked and she nodded.

“I am feeling better after some rest.” She lied.

“Give me a moment.” Joonmyun walked over to the windows. He spotted Sunggyu with a girl.

“It must be her.” He thought to himself.

“I guess I can stay a while longer.” He said and sat on the bed opposite Ahreum’s.

“You haven’t been to the café for some time.” He began.

“Was he waiting?” Ahreum couldn’t help but think.

“I got busy recently.” She scratched her head.

“We launched a new caramel drink and I thought of you the moment it’s launched.” Joonmyun laughed.

Ahreum could feel the heat at her cheeks as she subconsciously covered them.

“Are you okay? Your cheeks are getting red.” He pointed out.

“I’m just a little feverish!” Ahreum lied again.

Myungsoo watched the exchange between the two through the gap of the blinds. Holding tighter on the bento in his hands, he took three steps back. Was he the reason why Ahreum felt more distant? Myungsoo figured it probably was. It didn’t take long for Myungsoo to know what Ahreum was feeling towards Joonmyun. The look she had on was exactly the same as back then when she had a crush on her Library Club senior. Myungsoo turned around and left the nurse’s office. He looked down at the bento and figured he was going to have a second serving for lunch.

-

“It’s nice seeing you again.” Sunggyu said straightforwardly and she laughed.

“Seems like I’ve been missed.” Yoori teased, folding her arms.

Sunggyu simply laughed at her remark. She truly was different from the other girls he had met.

“Have you had lunch?” Sunggyu asked.

Yoori shook her head, “Want to have lunch together?” she said in unison together with Sunggyu.

They both laughed at their chorused question. Ignoring his headache, Sunggyu headed towards the cafeteria with Yoori.

To: Sunggyu

I saw you with your girl and I know I’ve been ditched -_- Enjoy your lunch!

“Ahreum~I’ve been ditched. You’ll let me stay, right?” Joonmyun turned and said with puppy eyes.

Ahreum felt her heart pounding rapidly in the ribcage as she nodded meekly. Lying down, they both looked up at the ceiling. Ahreum felt like she was living the dramas she always watched on TV. She could hear his breathing and occasionally steal obvious glances at the now sleeping Joonmyun. Smiling idiotically to herself, she closed her eyes.

“20 more minutes.” She thought to herself.

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: 
Short update but sitll hope you like it nonetheless ^^
I have 3/4 of the story all planned out in my hea
d but writing takes time..ㅜㅜ
Hope you're enjoying 'Scarred Beauty' thus far~ Can't wait to write and post the exciting chapters! ^^