Chapter 1

Scarred Beauty

Jolting awake in bed at the first ring of her alarm, Ahreum wiped the sweat off her forehead. Getting out of bed, she switched the lights on. Passing by the mirror in her bedroom, she stopped. It was funny how one can feel disgusted looking at their own reflection, every single time. Sometimes, Ahreum wished that those cliché drama plot would happen on her. She wished that one day, she would wake up in another person’s body. Then, she would be the prettiest girl on Earth and suddenly, everything would be perfect for her. However, she always wakes up to reality, in Park Ahreum’s body. The wooden floor creaked with every step she took towards the bathroom, as if it was mocking at her.

Zipping up her school skirt with much difficulty, she picked up her school bag. “I am leaving.” She said to no one in particular. Dropping by the convenience store down the streets, she grabbed her favourite chicken burger breakfast combo. She took large bites as she fastened her footsteps towards the subway station. She could feel the stares, as usual. She could see those disapproving glares from the corner of her eyes. She could hear the whispers exchanged.

“She is so fat because she eats so much.”

“Oh god. Look at her.”   

Consciously, she put her burger down.  

 “It’s okay. You should be used to it by now.” Ahreum inhaled deeply.

She took a last bite and threw away her unfinished burger in the nearest bin. The train was empty. Sitting alone on the empty rows of seats in the last carriage, she plugged in her earphones. Ahreum was used to waking up early to avoid peak hours. She had had enough of distasteful remarks of her “taking up too much space” during peak hours. It hurts even if she had heard it a thousand times. It always hurts. “Sorry” She’d have to apologize repeatedly and she always wondered what she was sorry for? For bumping into the person? Or for being herself?

“Good morning.” Ahreum greeted the school security guard at the gates.

Looking up, she watched the glorious streaks of pink and orange in the sky. It felt as if it was putting up a spectacular show just for her. It felt like they were cheering her up.

“Thank you dad and mum.” She whispered to the heavens and smiled.

As the hour hand of the clock struck 7, everyone hurriedly returned to their seats. The teacher was late so the chattering began again. Ahreum looked up from the maths question she was solving to meet eyes with Baekhyun. She quickly looked away but it was still too slow.

“Yah! Park Ahreum! You are so beautiful, I can’t take my eyes off you~” He said out loud and smirked.

The class erupted into fits of laughter immediately at his joke. Ahreum lowered her head and she wished she would just disappear. Squeezing the hem of her skirt, she willed for her tears to be obedient.

“Awww~ Is our Ahreum shy because of my sudden confession.” He teased.

“Shut up.” Ahreum said in her head.

The laughter that followed was deafening until the teacher finally came.

-

“Did something happen today?” Myungsoo eyed Ahreum who was abnormally quiet.

Ahreum shook her head and forced a smile, taking a chocolate bar from her pile of snacks. Food always worked. It was her best comfort. It always made her feel better. And it was only before Myungsoo she could eat all she wants. Because he was her best friend since childhood. Myungsoo always understood and allowed her to. Ahreum used to tell Myungsoo everything until recent days. She figured that in Myungsoo’s position, he would probably not want to hear his best friend whine about her pathetic life and depressing thoughts every time. Therefore, she chose to put up a strong front even before Myungsoo.

“How’s your new cover upcoming?” Myungsoo dug at the egg in his bento.

“I am still thinking what song I should go with. BTS’ Butterfly or EXO’s Baby don’t Cry?” She pondered.

“Yah! Finish your food before talking~” Myungsoo shove a tissue in her hands.

Ahreum laughed at Myungsoo’s frantic expression and wiped .

“I think BTS’ Butterfly would suit your vocals better.” Myungsoo nodded his head approvingly.

“I guessed so too.” Ahreum smiled, noting it down on her phone.

“I will stick around a bit more. I need more Vitamin D.” Myungsoo spread his arms.

“Alrighty! Seeya~” Ahreum picked up the wrappers and unfinished snacks in her arms.

With every step she took, Ahreum carefully glanced down to check the next step. Walking down the last step of the stairs cautiously, Ahreum turned to the right to bump into someone at a blind spot. The guy stumbled back a few steps and fell to the ground. Ahreum flailed around helplessly before joining her snacks on the concrete ground with a loud thud.

“What the-” The person cursed as he dusted his pants.

He walked towards Ahreum angrily and stared down at her. -like eyes showed disgust and annoyance, just like everyone else. However, what happened next surprised Ahreum. Squatting before her, he extended his hand.  Ahreum hesitated for a moment before putting out her hand.

“Thank yo-” He lets go of her hand.

“By any chance, did you think I was going to pull you up?” He eyed Ahreum’s from head to toe.

Ahreum embarrassingly retracted her hand and bit her lips.

“That phone beside you is mine.” He said curtly, beckoning for her to pick it up.

“Here.” Ahreum returned his phone and he walked off almost immediately without a word of thanks.

“It’s okay, Ahreum.” She mumbled to herself as she scrambled to pick up her snacks before the school bell went off.

-

“I am home.” Ahreum said to herself as she removed her shoes and placed it on the racks.

The echo of her own voice hit her harder than ever today. Dragging her feet to her room, she collapsed on the bed. She allowed the tears she was holding back for the day fall. In the past, she used to phone Myungsoo and cry over the receiver. However, she stopped doing so. She didn’t want to be a nuisance to Myungsoo. He wasn’t her counsellor.

After a couple of hours in the dark, Ahreum heard the vibration of her phone. She didn’t have to check to know it was from Myungsoo. Nobody else would text her. They probably didn’t even save her number.

To: Ahreum

My mum is asking you to come over for dinner~ See you at 7PM
 

To: Myungsoo

Alright. Seeya! (:

Ahreum stops by Myungsoo’s house half an hour earlier to be greeted by Mrs. Kim’s cheery voice.

“Ahreum~ I missed you so much. What took you so long?” she hugged her.

Ahreum felt like crying in her embrace. Mrs. Kim was like a motherly figure to her ever since her parents passed away when she was 12. Ahreum hugged her back with a smile.

“I miss you too, Mrs. Kim.” She managed to choke out.

“Omo! I forgot my soup is boiling!” She suddenly exclaimed as she ran to the kitchen.

Ahreum removed her shoes and smiled at Mrs. Kim’s cuteness. She offered her help in the kitchen to wash the dishes and pots. Mrs. Kim refused but she insisted to do something.

“I’ll take over from here. Would you please help me get Myungsoo down for dinner?” she switched off the tap.

“Annyeong Byul!” She squatted before Myungsoo’s cat and it walked off.

“Even cats dislike me too.” Ahreum sighed.

Ahreum knocked on Myungsoo’s door several times but there was no response.

“I am coming in.” She informed.

Ahreum opened the door to find Myungsoo sprawled on the bed with his One Piece manga in hand and mouth agape. Poking his head, Ahreum watched Myungsoo stir cutely in bed. He smacked his lips together and adjusted to a comfortable position before he continued sleeping.

“Myungsoo, wake up.” Ahreum shook him lightly.

“5 minutes please.” He pouted.

“Fine. 5 minutes.” Ahreum laughed as he resumed sleeping with a satisfied smile.

Myungsoo’s laptop was open so Ahreum opened a browser to surf the net. She realized that he was halfway through his new blog post.

“I am awake.” Myungsoo rubbed his eyes as he sat up in bed.

“You’re finally awake! Let’s go down.” Ahreum stood up from the chair and dragged him by his arm.

“Thank you for the food!” The two said in unison before digging in.

Ahreum watched Mrs. Kim debone the fish carefully and placed it in Myungsoo’s bowl. She stopped eating when Mrs. Kim placed some in her plate too.

“Eat more.” She smiled.

“Thank you.” Ahreum said, feeling touched by her gesture.

Dinner at Myungsoo’s place always made Ahreum feel warm and at home. However, there was always a voice at the back of her mind telling her she didn’t belong here. 

She hated that voice so much but it always returns. It always did.

 

 

Author's Note: 
Thank you so much for all the support for 'Scarred Beauty' even before chapter 1 is up!
The first chapter may not be the best but I promise, it will get better and more exciting~
Thank you so much! <3