Chapter 6. [Tracks.]

Running Deep.

I was late. 

 

I jogged to the school track and field track that was away from the school bulidings itself. I panted as I avoided everyone, rushing for the meeting there. I reached the doors of the school mini stadium, throwing the doors opened and running down the stairs to the track where I saw the whole group of students gathering there. 

 

Minho was the team captain and one of the best sprinters around. Other than that, Myungsoo was the team vice-captain, earning it after surprising the whole team when he went for trials earlier this year. 

 

I joined in with a quiet hopped and landed quietly, cross-legged as the meeting had began a few minutes ago. Minho looked so serious, referring to the a piece of paper he had planned to announce during the meeting. Myungsoo was standing coolly, reading the paper that Minho had given. 

 

When Minho looked up, he looked at the whole team. When he saw me, panting, he smiled. I smiled back, 

 

"We have a upcoming track and field meets starting in a month time." Minho announced, giving out papers to everyone. 

 

He came up to me, passing the paper and something else also. Another note. 

 

I looked at him who smiled before he walked back to the front of the team and began telling the next few plans and steps to our trainings and schedules. He looked at everyone with a hint of competitive side and a determined face. I watched as Myungsoo his lips and paced up and down behind him, watching the others. He would catch others and walked up to them, whispering to them one-to-one and asking them to pay attention. 

 

Myungsoo was like the scary vice-captain who watches behind Minho's back. He made sure everyone understood and pay attention to Minho's instructions during meetings and get along with the schedules and traning planned out between them both. 

 

I tried to keep up with the instructions delivered, while unfolding the note that Minho passed me. 

 

I read it through and reread it again when no one was catching me. 

 

Oh. Minho send the note just now. 

 

Its still in my pencil case. Shoots.

 

But... 

 

I heard footsteps beside me and looked up to see Myungsoo, squatting down and his lips. He just squat down beside me, not saying a word. I watched him in confusion, folding the letter without his eyes on them and slid them into my bag pocket. He felt me staring and looked at me. 

 

"What?" I hissed at him, rolling my eyes and looking at the piece of paper in my hand. 

 

He smiled a little and muttered, his eyes on Minho, "Nothing...." 

 

"I want to ask you something..." I said, eyes still on the paper. 

 

"What is it?" 

 

"You are not going to let any of my best friends close to me," I met his eyes, "Are you?" 

 

He read my eyes for a moment before he looked away. He his lips and looked at Minho, eventhough his mind was off somewhere. It took him a moment to answer. 

 

"I trust them...." He muttered, "But I don't know if I can trust them to be that close...." 

 

"They are my best friends...." I hissed back, "Give me and them some privacy..." 

 

"What is this about?" He shot back, his eyes so intense and staring in back at mine. 

 

"Morning walk to school...and lunch..." I whispered back, "Taemin and Sungjong....and Sungyeol...." 

 

He made a tched sound and looked away.

 

"I saw how you look at them...." I muttered back, "You were going to eat them up..." 

 

"You don't know how I feel when you are not in my sight, sis..." He said, just as Minho summoned the whole meeting to an end and looked over to Myungsoo and me. 

 

"Myungsoo? Anything to say to the team?" 

 

Myungsoo stood up and left me alone to glare at his back as he made his way to the front. He looked at the team and said a few  words of encouragement. He also gave a warning about us making it to every training from now on. He left the end of the sentence hanging, eyes on me. 

 

I hid my face in the paper.

 

Having to be the few middleschool kids who are in the highschool team is hard. 

 

But having your best friend as the captain...

 

And your own brother as the vice-captain... 

 

It was a whole different story.