Chapter 31

Running Deep.

The cafe was located not far from where we were staying. 

 

It was a few blocks away and it was convienient for students of all ages to come down and have some hanging out time together with each other. It was popular among the students, especially those who were from Chongyang High and Chongyang Middle School. It was a small outlet but it can hold up to 50 customers sitting in daily. It was bulid from an unused buliding that once rumors of it being haunted after the homeowners left ten years ago. Now, since it was rebulid, refurnished and repainted for 5 years, it was a popular spot for after-school hang outs. 

 

Even after my parents' death last year, it never stop the crowd from coming in to enjoy our shakes, all-year and all-around student meals with resonable prices and the ambience of the cafe is just perfect. Every student that comes to the cafe would only want to come back for more. Some even joked if there were beds here, so they could just spend the night here. 

 

And the idea of making it more livelier and more hype is to make live bands and hold mini movie screenings and things that most students would want. From the small town we all live, might as well have some entertainment for us. Umma and Appa was smart enough to notice this was lacking in our town and the reason why many of the students nowadays were in trouble because they have to travel out of town to find entertainment. 

 

So as Sunggyu and I headed down to the cafe, we expected a crowd. But the moment I entered, a few were there, some having time alone or just chilling. I was about to ask why was it like this when Sunggyu tapped his watched and smiled. 

 

Oh, I noticed it was still too early for school to be release. I smiled at Sunggyu and blushed in embarassment. 

 

I walked up to the counter, greeting the crew there. The part-time crew was mostly made up of graduates from Chongyang High. They were the ones who needed money to move out of town and get a decent diploma or degree to pursue their talents. I waved as the cooks behind peered at me through the cut out of the wall, where the food can be delievered and served to the customers through the front crew. 

 

Sunggyu nodded and smiled, putting a hand on my shoulder and gently leading the way. We made our way to the back where there were a few rooms for us, VIPs. 

 

I turned to the door where I could here the faint strumming of the guitar. I knocked on the door, wondering what was Jonghyun doing here when he was supposed to be in school. I opened the door and walked in to not only Jonghyun but Taemin and Sungjong as well. 

 

And they didn't have to say anything to prove why they can't head to school. 

 

There on their foreheads was a ice packet each. I giggled, noticing they might have gotten from me as well. 

 

"Aish..." Sunggyu shook his head, "Am I dreaming or what?" 

 

"Hyung, you're not." Taemin removed the ice pack and leaned against the sofa, "We woke up this morning to temperatures over usual." 

 

Jonghyun shrugged, "Must be Sun Min." 

 

"Yah-" 

 

"Stop." Sunggyu stared at me, "Don't start." 

 

I pouted and flopped on the sofa, crossing my arms and legs. Taemin slid closer to me and touched my forehead. He jerked a little at the temperature of my skin before he contemplated for a while and removed the cold packet on his forehead and put it on mine. I smiled and sighed, leaning on his shoulder as Sunggyu nudged Jonghyun to have a talk outside. 

 

They left the room and shut the door behind them. Sungjong and I watched them walked out then. 

 

"Gwenchana?" Sungjong asked, putting aside the acoustic guitar and sitting on the other side of me. 

 

I smiled and reached for his hand. I smiled and nodded, He smiled, looking relief that I was okay and well. Except for the fever that was running in all three of us including Jonghyun who is outside

 

Taemin coughed a little, rubbing his hands to cool them down. I realised his skin was awfully pale along with Sungjong's too. I worried a little. I grabbed Taemin's hand and put them in mine, like how I did with Sungjong. I realised then their fingertips were cold. I brought both hands to my mouth and blew hot breath on them. I rubbed their hands and gave them a slight squeeze. 

 

"What are you doing?" Taemin asked, coughing a little and covering his mouth with his other hand. 

 

He barely looked at me but I know he was touched by the gesture. 

 

"Warming both of you up," I explained, "You guys are cold." 

 

Sungjong smiled, "Its the air conditioner here...." 

 

I glanced at him and gave him a don't-you-dare-try-to-fool-me look. He smiled corky, leaning in and kissing my cheek. I blushed and looked away. Taemin must have saw it cause he put an arm over my shoulder and pulled me closer. I let his arm hang around my shoulder but I shoved it away and stood up. 

 

I almost fell but I caught myself before any one of them caught me. I sighed and looked at them both. 

 

"Don't. Even. Start." I warned them, just as the door opened and Jonghyun gave a half-hearted smile. 

 

He turned to Taemin and Sungjong and muttered that Sunggyu wanted to see them. 

 

Sungjong smiled at me, standing from his seat. Taemin waited for a moment for Sungjong to pass by us before he leaned in and kissed the side of my mouth a little, smilling faintly. He looked deeply in my eyes before he stood up and left. I was a little flabbergasted by his gesture but I quickly recovered when I remembered Jonghyun was there. 

 

Jonghyun saw the boys out and close the door behind them. He picked up his guitar and his pen, putting his guitar on his lap and then reaching over to the piece of paper on the coffee table, He looked up before penning something on the paper and smiled at me.

 

"Come closer, sis." He called me over, gesturing with his hand.

 

I stood up and sit closer. He pointed at the paper and then smiled.

 

"Here, help me with the new song. You can be poetic or emotional and all." He smirked,

 

"I'm not." I muttered, earning another smirk from Jonghyun.

 

We discussed on the song, thinking about words that made sense and had emotions and flow. We were so into the whole discussion that time passed. Once we had the tune and the lyrics out, we tried over and over again to make it sound good and tried to make it more better.

 

Jonghyun insisted that I tried to sing the song instead, since it was my own words and thoughts. He smiled and nodded encouragingly at me, with a few laughs and all. I smiled shyly, shaking my head to disapprove the thought and idea. 

 

"You can do this!" Jonghyun smacked my back, 

 

"YAH!" I winced. 

 

He smiled and rubbed my back in comfort. "I'm sorry...Mianneh....But, this time, you will sing live with me." 

 

I sighed, "When?" 

 

He smiled wider, "Tomorrow night." 

 

I groaned and gritted my teeth.