Phase Seven

From Now On: Moving Forward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa's POV

"I've been trying to get a hold of you..." Hae started to say. Her eyes move down to the ground and when I reach a hesitant hand out to her, she looks back up. "I sent you messages but you didn't respond and when you did, you were always blowing me off or sending one-word replies. Now I know it wasn't you...I thought--I thought something was up but I wasn't entirely sure until now,"

"I haven't had my phone since it was taken," I muttered. My eyes moved toward Yoo Ri and she had gotten off the ground, dusting off her clothes and stared at me with a hurt expression.

"You took my pho--"

"Yonghwa, please--" she took a deep breath. "It wasn't supposed to be like this. You dropped it that day in the studio and I meant to give it back, honestly, I did but then one thing--"

"Save it," I shook my head. "How could you do this?!" I suddenly shouted. "How could you hurt me like that?! I thought we were friends! Do you know how hard it's been for me lately, do you even know what's it been like not talking to the love of my life?!" I seethed.

Yoo Ri gasped and out of the corner of my eye I saw Hae freeze before turning her head towards me.

"Y-Yonghwa,"

"You're sick," I shook my head sadly. "All this time I was looking for it,,," I said slowly. "And you had it all this time. All this time,"

Tears well up in the corner of her eyes and she makes a move to grab my arm but I step back until she tries again and I push her away. 

"Yonghwa please!"

"Please don't be like this. Please, I-- Yonghwa I think that I like you," she says slowly. 

"And what? Do you think that's supposed to change something?" I say in disbelief.

Sirens begin to sound in the background and Yoo Ri stands still in front of me, not moving but just blinking back at me until tears start running down her cheeks and she tries to push them away with the heel of her hand. Her breathing is heavy and as the police cars begin to pull into the park, she snaps out of her trance and looks either way until she attempts to make a run for it and almost on automatic, I leaped forward and grab her in my arms as she begins screaming and kicking, almost to get me off of her.

"LET ME GO! LET ME GO!" she screamed.

Some officers jump out of their cars and race toward us quickly while Yoo Ri is still kicking and screaming and Hae turns around just as her brother shouts her name and rushes over to us.

"Are you okay?" he said quickly. She waved him off and pointed to the bag on the floor before Jae nodded and three officers rushed over to take Yoo Ri out of my arms.

"Yonghwa!" she shouted. "Yonghwa please don't let them take me away! Please, Yonghwa! I'm sorry!" she continued to shout and scream even as they dragged her away and I turned around to pick up her stuff just as Jae stepped over.

"I'm sorry about this," he says suddenly.

My eyes widen some, in part because of him suddenly saying that and because we haven't really talked much at all since this entire situation. "It-It's okay."

He nodded his head and I handed over Yoo Ri's bag just as Hae gave me my phone and he smiled sadly. "This is all some big mess really, that shouldn't have gotten this out of hand but it did,"

"I didn't even know- I had no idea," I started.

"Me either," he shook his head. "Hae came to me and told me everything and I pieced it all together. I didn't really think that she would have gone as far as she did until now and I'm just sorry," he shook his head.

I didn't want for Jae to keep apologizing because it wasn't even his fault but I knew that he felt guilty and I knew that he wished he could have done more. It didn't matter anymore, everything was already solved and I just wanted to put all of this behind me already. I smiled slightly and nudged his shoulder for him to stop talking.

"It's alright. I should thank you honestly,"

He nodded and smiled back too before patting my shoulder and he turned around to shoot Soo Hyuk a look. "I need you to come in for questioning. You were a witness at the party, correct?"

I had forgotten all about Soo Hyuk and he flinched slightly when everyone turned to look at him before he nodded his head slowly. "Y-Yeah I was,"

"It won't take long, you can ride down with me to the station,"

Soo Hyuk opened his mouth to protest but closed it immediately once Hae looked away and sighed. "Right now?"

"Yes,"

Soo Hyuk nodded and tried to catch Hae's gaze again but she was staring at me and it took a lot of self-control not to just pull her into my arms and hold her against my chest.

"Alright," he nodded. Soo Hyuk his heels and followed Jae as they made their way back to the car and I held my breath as the wind pushed my hair across my eyes.

The police cars had cleared out and now only Hae and I stood in the middle of the park, the air awkward and quiet and I hated that I didn't know what to do or say after so long.

"The love of your life, huh?" Hae said quietly. 

I lifted my head up slowly and she was leaning on her crutches with a small smile pulling at her lips. She looked so beautiful but tired and I could see bags starting to form underneath her eyes, probably from exhaustion and the ordeal of this entire thing. I probably looked the same. 

"You know you are," I replied. 

She hobbled over on her crutches and I walked over quickly so she wouldn't have to rush herself and grabbed her by the top of her arms gently. "Don't push yourself,"

"I'm not," she shook her head. "Just please-- please don't leave me like that again," she whispered and it was so low that I bent down and pulled her closer. 

"I'm not going to leave you, not now or ever, you know that."

She looked up at me and I could see it all across her eyes. The pain, anger, sadness, and exhaustion play across her face like an open book, all for me to see. I wish I could make it go away, I wish she would never have to feel like that again. 

"Come home. Back to my place- I mean,"

Her eyes studied me so closely that I thought she was reading every thought that I could ever have. Her bottom lip twitched slightly before she broke into a small smile and I didn't waste another second leaning down to pull her into my chest. 

Safe. 

This felt so safe. 

 

--

 

I helped Hae through the entrance of my apartment and turned the lights on just as I kicked my shoes off closed the door behind myself. She stood in the entranceway and looked around, her eyes taking everything in and I realized that she probably didn't remember much of it since her accident and I walked over slowly until I touched her elbow. 

"Do you want something to eat or drink?"

"No," she shook her head. "I'm fine, thank you,"

I smiled and lead her over to the couch, moving some stuff out of the way until she could sit down properly and when I moved to go away, she grabbed my arm and I looked down at her. 

"Huh?"

"S-Stay," she blushed lightly. "Um, sit please," and removed her hand from my arm. 

I nodded and sat down beside her, scooting closer until our thighs were touching and she took my hand to place it in her lap as I sighed and looked over at her. 

"I was so mad at you," she breathed after a second. "Every time I reached out to you it was like you were pulling away from me. I was so upset that I didn't know what to do. I thought that you didn't want to be with me anymore, that you were just g-giving up,"

I turned my hand over so I could intertwine our fingers and she squeezed them together as I put a finger underneath her chin and turned her head. "I'm sorry. I didn't even know like I said. She acted like everything was normal and I didn't think anything of it. Honestly, this is all my fault and I should be the one blamed for it all, I should have known all along."

"You couldn't have known," she frowned.

I didn't say anything and she lifted our hands up together to brush her lips against my knuckles gently.

"Please don't marry Soo Hyuk," I said softly.

Because there were no other sounds, I couldn't hear anything besides the soft exhales of our breathing and the pounding in my chest from how hard my heart was beating. She lowered our hands and looked at me with such sad eyes that I regretted it bringing it up almost immediately. I wanted to take it back but it had already been said, unfortunately.

"Sometimes I look at him," she said. "I feel so bad because he's a nice person but he's not who I want to be with. I feel more like an acquaintance than a lover to him but he looks at me the way I look at you and I know that it's different. I wish I could go back  and redo this all over again because I've hurt too many people and I wish that wasn't the case."

"You can't blame yourself for something you had no control over," I shook my head. "It's not fair,"

"I'm blocking the memory out on my own," she looked at me. "The doctors don't know why I even suffered from memory loss but it can come back and I don't know why it hasn't. Because of me, I just can't get those memories back and I--"

I stopped her from continuing, leaning down to kiss her behind her ear and it worked. She looked at me for a long moment her cheeks coloring red until she rolled her eyes and looked down. "Stop making me like this, it feels weird."

"You'll get the rest of your memory back even if it is in pieces again, you'll get it back,"

"I hope so," she murmured and tightened our hands. "I don't want to marry Soo Hyuk,"

I felt a tiny smile tug at my lips and pulled her closer until she was almost in my lap and curled closer around her frame. My chin fit perfectly on the top of her head and her body felt so warm against my own that I pulled her impossibly closer with a contented sigh.

 

We sat around talking about everything under the sun. About each other, what we've been up to and just life in general. It felt nice to hear her speaking to me so freely and openly about whatever was on her mind. She played with my fingers and every time I leaned down to kiss her somewhere around her face, she would blush and push me away until both of us laughed.

It felt good. It felt so good to have her here. To be with her like this and listen to any and everything she had to say. I wanted to remember all of this and every second but I couldn't keep up that well and she noticed because she poked my fore

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter