Phase Five

From Now On: Moving Forward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Young's POV

"Who are you texting?"

"Just a colleague," I hummed. "She wants to know a few things that they should discuss in the conference,"

Minhyuk turned his head back onto the road and nodded just as I set my phone back down on my lap.

The weather was nice, the sun out and casting a glare across the road and the other cars in front of us. The windows were rolled down so we could feel the breeze and I leaned my elbow on the side of the door so I could rest my head against it. We had been driving for about four hours and only had a little while to go before we made it to his parents.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked again.

I turned my head away and he came to a red light just as he made eye contact with me.

"Why do you...what is it about the hospital that you like so much?"

"Well I mean, I work there for one," I smiled.

"I know that I just mean why, though?"

"Why are you curious now?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Just am," he shrugged.

I ran my fingers down the side of the seat and thought about it as I tongued the inside of my cheek before shaking my head. "I guess...I just- I like having people depend on me? I don't know, just being able to somehow make things easier, even if I can help someone or not. It's just a really satisfying feeling,"

The light changed for him to move and he took off, shooting me a small smile before turning back to the road.  

"Okay,"

I snorted and he took his hand off of the steering wheel to intertwine our fingers together. 

 

--

 

"Mom!" Minhyuk yelled as he unlocked the door and let me in first. "We're home!" 

There was music playing from what was probably the living room, a piano piece and the news in the background as I took my shoes off. Minhyuk carried our bags inside and I took some of them from his hands as he kicked off his sneakers and grabbed down some slippers for both of us.

"Oh!"

The voice made both of us turn around and at the end of the foyer stood Minhyuk's mom, she had her hair held back by a headband but was in comfortable shorts and a button up shirt with gloves on as well that indicated that she was probably out back. Minhyuk had explained to me that she was working on a garden lately.

"I'm so glad you guys made it here safely!" she said happily.

I followed Minhyuk over as he gave his mom a hug and kissed her on both of her cheeks. I bowed to her with my hands on my stomach and she scoffed before slapping my arm slightly.

"Why are you being so stiff with me?"

"Sorry," I blushed. I rubbed my hands at my side and she shook her head before pulling me into a hug and squeezing my shoulders.

I had forgotten how small his mother was so it was almost funny how easy it was to wrap my arms around her and reciprocate the hug until she grinned and patted my face.

"Are you guys hungry? Do you want to drink something?"

"Mm...want a beer?" Minhyuk looked down at me.

I nodded my head and his mom snapped her fingers before leading us towards the kitchen. The house was beautiful just from what I could see. The living room was an open area with an entire sectional placed along the back with an entertainment center and a grand piano set by the back door. The shelf on the far wall was decorated with nothing but CNBlue merchandise. Albums, posters, cards, and banners were spread out along the entire space.

When you walked into the kitchen, there was a dining room connected to the side with a wooden table and mats placed on the floor at each spot where someone would sit. The kitchen was somewhat messy with just a few dishes in the sink and ingredients and bowls placed along the counter but it was comforting because it felt like a home.

An actual real life home that people inhabited.

"Sit down, sit down," she waved her hands and went to open the fridge. "How was the ride? You didn't have trouble right?"

As she moved around, I let Minhyuk do the talking and instead situated the bags by my feet, rubbing my hands together before putting them back in my lap.

"We alternated so it wasn't bad," he shrugged. "Where is appa and Sawon by the way?" he asked and thanked his mom as she handed us the beers.

"He's changing his clothes, he got all dirty outside because he wasn't listening to me so he should be out of the shower soon. Sawon told me that she was close just before you got here so it shouldn't be long,"

"Oh alright,"

As I took a sip of my beer, his mom turned toward to me and I swallowed down the lump that was trying to make it's way up my throat. I don't know why I was so nervous all of a sudden.

"Have you been alright, Young? How are things with your family and work?"

"Oh, it's great...um," I swallowed. "Things at work are fine just the usual everyday hectic situations but nothing that I can't handle. My family is good, they'll be coming down sometime for the wedding and my brothers are doing good in university,"

I hesitated telling her about Hae and instead decided to just keep that part about her accident and the memory loss to myself. "Hae is doing fine now too,"

"That's nice," she smiled warmly at me and ran a hand through her hair. "Oh! Speaking of the wedding, have you already set a date and worked out the details?"

Almost on automatic, my eyes dart towards Minhyuk and he makes this weird expression like he's just as clueless as I am and that only builds my nervousness. I really wish I would have better prepared for this question because I honestly should have expected it but it had slipped my mind. A lot of things were slipping my mind lately but it felt wrong to just come out and say 'no I've barely made a dent planning my own wedding,' 

"Um..." I start.

"Hey, the kids made it here okay?"

My neck almost snaps from how fast I turn around and I hear Minhyuk faintly let out a breath when his dad steps around the corner in sweats and a long-sleeved Manchester United T-shirt.

I've never been so eternally grateful in my entire life I think.

"Hey, appa!"

His broad smile matches Minhyuk's and his eyes turn into crescents as he comes forward to gather both of us in a hug and some weird sound makes it way out of my mouth as I come face to face with his chest as he awkwardly pats my back.

"I feel like I haven't seen you guys in ages," he laughs. When he pulls back, he rubs the top of Minhyuk's head and squeezes my shoulder.

"I'm glad you guys made it down here. What has you so busy in Seoul huh?"

"Appa," Minhyuk sighs and fixes his hair. His dad moves to grab another beer from the fridge for himself and leans against the counter in almost the same position as his wife.

"Sometimes I feel like you legitimately forget what I do for a living,"

His dad lets out a loud laugh, clapping his hand against the countertop before taking a small sip and setting the bottle down. "Hey, I taught you everything you know and Young-" he motions his head to me. "I can practically smell the antiseptic from the back of the house."

I feel the blood rush up my neck as my eyes widen and his wife slaps his shoulder as he breaks into a chuckle.

"Yah!"

"I'm kidding!" he grins and takes another swig. "I'm kidding,"

Minhyuk pulls me closer to rub my side but I honestly feel like I'm breathing through a balloon and this teasing really was not what I was expecting right now. I need some air but I settle for frowning at his dad as his wife hits him again.

"I'll be happy when she laces your drink with cyanide one of these days and you never wake up from your nap,"

His dad chokes on his drink, almost getting it all over the counter and everyone in the kitchen bursts out in laughter.

 

--

Sawon arrives just a little bit after our banter in the kitchen and right as their mother finishes cooking. Her boyfriend, Soo Kwang, is still in his suit from work I'm guessing and as she's helping him out of his jacket to hang it on the hook, I almost stumble back in shock when I see her stomach. Minhyuk had mentioned at some point a few months ago that his older sister was expecting but it was different seeing it with my own eyes and up close.

Her pullover was big enough to hide it partially but you could still make it out if you stared at it and by that point, I could tell that she had caught me because we made eye contact and I blushed.

We settled around the table once all the food was placed out and I grabbed something for Sawon to rest her back against before taking my seat and Minhyuk placed his hand on my thigh as I scooted closer.

One thing that I loved about Minhyuk's family was their ability to carry a conversation. They were very talkative about any and everything. They could change subjects faster than I could keep up with but they listened with all ears and heard everything that someone mentioned before moving on. There seemed to be no pause between them all and at times I found myself making eye contact with Soo Kwang, as he too listened along with me.

At some point, they would ask for our thoughts or opinion on something but I preferred to just listen or focus more on eating because that four-hour drive was long and it had been awhile since I had a real meal.

After most of the food had been cleared from the table, I helped his dad wash the dishes and set them out to dry while the others cleaned up the area and Sawon rested in the living room. We followed after and nursed a bottle of an expensive brand of wine that Soo Kwang had brought over and his girlfriend frowned as he passed her a water bottle and shrugged.

"Maknae," she said after laying a hand on the side of her stomach.

Minhyuk leaned back on the couch and laid an arm around the back of the couch so I could lean more comfortably against him. "When are you going to drop by the bakery and give your autograph to those girls? They won't stop badgering me about it,"

"Why don't I just sign a few napkins and you hand it in on Monday?"

"That's so cheap!" she laughs and holds up a pillow to threaten him with. "I'll take some polaroids of you and you just sign them okay?"

Minhyuk pushed his lips out in a pout and crossed his legs on the couch. "Do I have to?" he whined. 

"For noona, please?" Soo Kwang looked between Minhyuk and his sister and finally tapped her on her arm. 

"Hm?"

"What about those albums your parents keep that you told me about? What if he signed those and gave them instead? I think that would be a lot better," he suggested. 

Sawon thought about it for a full second but I could already see the gears turning in her head before she looked at her boyfriend and smiled widely. "I should really stop being surprised by how smart you are,"

He rolled his eyes and Minhyuk snorted before setting hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter