Betrayal (2)

Getting it Fixed

 


 

Some backstory to bridge the time gap:

 

The Moo empire quelled the uprising, but losses that day were heavy. To sate the citizens’ dissatisfaction, the empire conceded several things. One of the major points was the diminishment of the monarch’s power. This left Solar, who had been spared that day, a mere puppet of the government and a political figure in name only.

 

Moonbyul became a captain, and was one of the few people Solar still trusted in the castle.

 

Wheein and Hwasa fled to a neighboring country to hide. They’re still wanted.


 

---

Moonbyul dragged her feet through the grass meadow. She rolled her shoulders, loosening muscles that ached from sword practice and from hours spent hunched over a desk.

 

She sat down with a sigh, basking in the warmth of this cloudless, sunny day. After a while, she saw the faint streak of a shadow race across the grass.

 

Her hand stretched upwards, and seconds after, the faint grip of claws wrapped around her fist. She rubbed the top of the falcon’s head as she untied the small scroll tied to its leg.

 

It hopped down, indulging in the small snacks Moonbyul had brought while she read the letter.

 

It’s getting worse. I can’t hold back the prince’s decision to invade any longer. He means to have the country, by force if necessary.

 

The border skirmishes were getting a bit more frequent. Moonbyul had been called a few times to help out diplomatically at such incidents.

 

He is a good prince. He values and respects his people, and regards merit over wealth and ancestry. However, he has a bit too much greed. And he is a little too quick to pull out his sword.

 

The surrounding smaller countries had all fallen under the neighboring prince’s control within the past five years. The newly established government ‘under’ Solar had little power nor will to defy his brash actions.

 

He now feels strong enough to confront you. I believe he will make a move soon. Keep alert.

 

With their weakened military, Moonbyul did not doubt that they would lose, should the prince go all out in a frontal attack. She sighed as she thought about how she would have to spend much more of her time cooped up in the strategy room with the old bearded generals now.

 

Both of us are well. I hope you are too.

 

Moonbyul struck a match against a stone, holding the flaming end to one corner of the message. As she watch the edges quickly char black and crumble to ash onto the grass, her gaze lingered on the last line of text to burn away.

 

How is she?

 

Moonbyul pursed her lips as she thought about the young girl now in “control” of their country. How her eyes appeared more and more sunken each time Moonbyul entered her room. How her smile felt more forced each time she was ordered to go out to make a public speech. How she no longer even cared about her constant entourage of stone-cold bodyguards that were said to be for ‘protection’, but that everyone knew were actually for ‘surveillance’.

 

Moonbyul wasn’t sure what to write in her letter back to Wheein. But she knew she would have to start with ‘She’s fine.’ And after that first line, her heart ached as the sketched letters of her lie glared back at her.



 

---

“You two can leave now. I’ll take it from here.” Moonbyul firmly dismissed the two men standing outside Solar’s bedroom door. Nodding at the maids who were helping pin up the last of Solar’s hair, she waited until they had all left before swinging the big wooden doors close.

 

Solar stood by the window, staring out at the procession of guests along the path to the castle.

 

“How are you feeling, Solar?”

 

“Like crap.” She turned, golden dress flowing around her legs. However, the brilliance and shine of the cloth did not make it to her dead, resigned eyes. “Moonbyul, must I go out today?”

 

“I’m afraid so. You are the queen, even if only in name. The prince of that country is not someone we can just brush off. At least, not anymore.”

 

“So this masquerade ball is just to appease that greedy, war-loving bastard?”

 

“Solar…”

 

“Don’t sugercoat it. I have enough of that when I’m forced to sit in on the meetings.”

 

“I’m sure this party is a pretense for him and his men to scout out our situation. We need to put up a front and earn time to build back our army. ”

 

“Oh. That’s quite blunt.”

 

“It’s a rough time.” Moonbyul walked forward, hand trailing over Solar’s nightstand to pick up the purple mask adorned with sequins, ribbons fluttering along the sides. “And we all have to do what we can.”

 

Solar turned back towards the window, allowing Moonbyul to slip the mask over her eyes and tie the ribbon snugly behind her head. “I’ll play nice. Not much else I can do.”

 

“I’m sorry you have to go through all this. No matter how much I argue, the officials seem satisfied with things as they are.”

 

“It’s to be expected, isn’t it? It’s not like I really trust them, or anyone else, anymore.” Solar scoffed. “And it’s not like they trust me either.”

 

“One day they’ll see that you’ll be as good or even better of a ruler than your father.”

 

Solar closed her eyes. “I did love my father.”

 

“You’re his daughter--”

 

“But I can’t forgive him. Not after they showed me what he had done, all behind my back.

 

“He wanted you to be safe.”

 

“Safe? No, he wanted me to be ignorant. It’s no surprise that people rebelled.” She trailed her fingers along the bottom of the window frame, feeling the cold, rough stone rub against her fingertips. “If I had known, I probably would have tried to stop him myself. Don’t lie to me, Moonbyul. I hate that.”

 

Moonbyul adjusted the lapels on her jacket, straightening out her attire for the evening. “I may not have agreed with some of his policies.”

 

“You and many others, apparently. If only I had known,” Solar stared at the window, ghostly memories of a girl’s light footsteps on the ledge surfacing, “maybe none of this would have happened. Maybe the revolt wouldn’t have happened. Maybe my father would still be alive. Maybe she…”

 

“Don’t dwell on the past.” So she still thinks of her as well.

 

Almost inaudibly, Solar muttered to herself, “Is she even still alive?”

 

The rush of people entering the castle gradually trickled to a few late individuals. From her window, Solar envied the lightheartedness of the guests. When would she be able to enjoy such freedom once again?

 

A person of small stature, standing apart from the conversations, caught her eye. Almost as if sensing Solar’s gaze, the person glanced her way. Solar could see the faint outlines of a serpent on the stranger’s green mask, unreadable eyes peering out from between the holes. However, the stranger soon disappeared into the wide open doors of the castle.

 

“It seems to be starting. Let’s go, Solar.”

 

Making sure her own disguise was securely fastened, Moonbyul led Solar down to the ballroom. Masked staff bustled across the halls as they neared, holding platters of food and drinks. Yellow candlelight glimmered as it reflected off the glass chandeliers, flickering from the collective breaths of laughter echoing in the large room.

 

Moonbyul pulled Solar to a stop beside her. “Look ahead.” Solar stared down the steps at a man with a commanding aura in the middle of the hall, chuckling in a deep voice at whatever joke the large crowd surrounding him had made. “That’s the prince.”

 

“I see our officials are already doing their best to up to him. Look how fake those smiles are as they fawn over that bastard.”

 

“That’s their job. Pleasing people by being fake.” Moonbyul lifted the corners of in a chuckle. “All right, milady. I have to go deal with security as captain. Will you be fine out on the floor alone?”

 

“Go do your job. I’ll do mine.” Moonbyul nodded, giving Solar one last comforting squeeze of the hand before striding off.

 

Solar took a deep breath. Making sure a presentable smile was on the visible lower half of her face, she made her way down the stairs towards the prince.



 

---

 

Moonbyul walked around the outskirts of the castle walls, checking up on the situation as she made small talk to the guards stationed around the entrances. As she made her way to the sparsely populated garden, she suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder.

 

Whirling around, she found a short girl in a green mask looking up at her.

 

“Yes? Are you lost, ma’am?”

 

“Moonbyul.” A familiar smile arose on the disguised face. “Long time no see.”

 

Moonbyul’s eyes widened as she darted a glance around the garden.

 

“I’ve checked. There’s no one near.”

 

“Wheein!” She enveloped the girl in a bone-crushing hug. “I didn’t expect you to be here!”

 

A muffled chuckle sounded from the girl whose face was buried in her coat. As they pulled apart, Wheein punched Moonbyul on the shoulder. “You’ve gotten stronger, captain. I nearly died from that hug.”

 

Moonbyul rolled her eyes, but her heart lifted at the unexpected reunion with her old friend. “I’ve had my fair share of exercise repelling invaders. But tell me about you. And Hwasa of course. Your letters are always so vague.”

 

“We’re here with the prince.”

 

“Do you work for him now?”

 

“Well, it’s not exactly like that.” Wheein shuffled her feet, conflicted. “He just confides in us. It wasn’t like we could just turn down a prince’s trust.”

 

“He has quite an eye, doesn’t he? I mean, you’ve always had a talent for strategy, while Hwasa’s a beast on the battlefield.”

 

“He keeps us around for advice. Especially since he knows we’re from here.” Wheein’s face turned solemn and her eyes hardened as she grabbed Moonbyul’s arm, pulling her into the shadows under the thick canopy of the trees.

 

Moonbyul followed Wheein’s gaze raking over the clearing. “Let me guess. War?”

 

“It’s a little more urgent.”

 

“He’s going to attack soon?”

 

“He’s going to attack tonight.”

 

Moonbyul gaped at the girl before her, hoping but failing to find some ounce of humor within those utterly serious eyes. “You mean--”

 

“He plans to attack tonight after the party, when everyone’s off guard.”

 

“It’s too late to do anything?”

 

“I managed to convince him to not attack during the ball. He allowed me enough time to get my friends out. So that’s why I’m here to tell you to run as soon as this party ends.”

 

“Does he know?” Moonbyul saw fleeting unease appear in Wheein’s eyes. “Are you going to leave her here?”

 

“No!” Wheein fiddled with the edges of her mask, hands fumbling as the feelings she had been suppressing rose to the surface. “But...I don’t know. Can you? Be the one to bring her out, I mean. She trusts you, right?”

 

“She’s not going to listen to some half-baked story about invasion and just run. You know how stubborn she can get.”

 

Wheein mused, “Let’s knock her out?”

 

“And drag her unconscious body through a castle in which everyone recognizes her? Not going to work. What about Hwasa--”

 

“Hwasa’s too busy. She’s part of the prince’s personal guard.”

 

“Wait what? How did that--”

 

“She beat him in a one-on-one fight.”

 

“She…” Moonbyul brushed her frazzled hair back, sighing from sudden fatigue. “Nevermind. We’ll catch up later. Wheein, you go tell her.”

 

“I can’t--”

 

“At least seeing you will shock her enough. Maybe enough to get her to leave.”

 

“But what if she doesn’t listen?” Wheein’s voice shook as her fingers clutched the hem of her dress. What if she doesn’t want to listen?

 

Moonbyul fixed her hat back onto her head, ignoring Wheein’s inner conflict. As she left, she called over her shoulder, “I’ll make sure the garden is lightly patrolled later. And I’ll dismiss her personal guards.”

 

The dark cloth of the captain’s uniform disappeared into a throng of guests. Wheein held her palm over her pounding heart, waiting for it to calm before she herself ventured back to the party. Back to Solar.



 

---

“UGH!” Solar fell onto her bed, nose buried in the familiar softness of her pillow. Hours spent talking to the endless rush of people had her dry of any energy, leaving her body a limp mess on her bed.

 

“Damn that prince,” she muttered under her breath as the memories of the night flickered in her mind. Of all the people she had to meet tonight, he was by far the worst. He had not even tried to hide his overwhelming condescension towards the puppet queen. Even worse was the fact that her own people had taken his side over hers, not holding back their snide little insults toward her ineptness as a ruler.

 

Thank god they’re gone now. The serenity of the castle washed over her, and she began to feel her eyelids droop in fatigue.

 

But as she felt her mind teeter between the line of peaceful slumber and resigned wakefulness, the short knocking of wood echoed in the room.

 

Eyes snapping open in the darkness, she snatched her sword from her bedside table before rolling off the bed into a crouch on the floor.  

 

Thud. Something fell within her wardrobe. Solar straightened her stance and called out in a low voice. “Come out. Now.”

 

After a pause, the wardrobe doors creaked open and the intruder stepped out, hands up in surrender.

 

“You!” Solar tapped her chin with a free hand, trying to recall where she had seen the green masked stranger. “You’re...Kuku? That’s what the prince called you, right?”

 

There was only a nod in reply.

 

Solar did not lower her sword tip. “What are you doing in my room? You’re an aide of the prince, aren’t you? Did he send you?”

 

The intruder shook her head, long black hair coming free of its restraints to flow around her shoulders.

 

Solar scoffed. “Well, you’re all full of lies anyways. I bet he sent you to kill me, didn’t he?”

 

The head shook again, much more urgently.

 

“Well, we’ll see what kind of crap he’ll spout when our guards return you to him.” She opened to alert the guards.

 

At that, the intruder hurriedly stepped forward as if to stop her.

 

Solar’s hand with the sword swung on instinct. The masked intruder lurched back, but not fast enough to completely dodge the sword tip.

 

This time, it was Solar’s turn to become mute as her eyes followed the split halves of the green mask clatter as they fell onto her floor, and back to the unveiled face. Droplets of blood seeped from the thin line newly marked across her forehead and cheeks. Tangled black hair framed worry-filled eyes and pursed lips. But the face that stared back at Solar’s was the same one five years ago.  

 

“H-Hi.”

 

Sparks flew up as Solar’s sword clanged against the stone tiling. She stepped forward.

 

Wheein stepped back. “Y-You’re rather quick to swing your sword.” She reached up towards her face with one hand, feeling the warm trickle of liquid on her fingertips. “Guess you don’t believe in second chances anymore.” A wry chuckle escaped her bloodying lips.

 

“W-Wheein--”

 

“But that’s not important right now.” Wheein turned towards the window, looking at something in the distance with an impatient frown on her face. She grabbed Solar’s arm. “We have to go--”

 

“Wheein!” Solar violently shook her arm free, a storm of confused emotions brewing within her eyes. “That’s the first thing you say to me? After all these years?”

 

“I’m sorry. Now, let’s go.” Wheein made a move to grab Solar’s arm again, but much to her surprise, Solar grabbed her wrist instead. “What--”

 

“Don’t you think I deserve some explanation?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“That’s not an explanation. I want to know why. Why no one ever feels like telling me anything. And then when things happen, I’m supposed to just stand there and accept everything?”

 

“There’s no time.”

 

“You betrayed me.”

 

The impatient scowl slid off Wheein’s face as Solar’s words slammed the past right back to the present. Betrayal. That was definitely something Wheein was now quite adept at.

 

“I’m tired of the lies, Wheein.” Solar cut in as Wheein’s mouth opened to speak. “You, Hwasa, even my own father. And now, the whole castle.” Her grip on Wheein’s wrists tightened as her heart twisted within her chest. “I have no one.

 

The urgency to leave lay forgotten as Wheein lifted her hands against Solar’s restraints, thumb gently wiping the corner of the eyes of the lonely queen who was fighting so very hard to dam the emotions that threatened to break free from those glass-like orbs.

 

“That’s not true. I…”

 

Those glass walls trembled from Wheein’s familiar, yet foreign touch. But Solar did not pull away. She pulled Wheein’s hand so that the warm palm rested against her cold cheek. Never breaking contact from neither hand nor eye, Solar reached her own fingers forward, trailing along Wheein’s sculpted cheek as it got stained a light red.

 

“You’re hurt,” she murmured. “I...I hurt you.”

 

“I deserved it.”

 

Solar released her grip on Wheein in shame.

 

“No.” Wheein decreased the distance between them, determination in her mission back in her eyes. “I deserve worse. I am worse. But I need you to believe in me right now.”

 

“I’m not stupid. I may be caring, but not enough to make the same mistake twice.”

 

“I--”

 

A loud booming rocked the castle. Wheein rushed towards the window, cursing under her breath.

 

“No time. I’m sorry Solar.” She laced her fingers through Solar’s, tightening in an iron grip before dragging her towards the window.

 

Solar’s door suddenly swung open and Moonbyul charged in, panting from the exertion of her mad dash. Her jaw dropped as she saw Wheein perched on the ledge, hands out prepared to help Solar down.

 

“Moonbyul, don’t be alarmed--”

 

“I came back because I didn’t see you at our meeting point, Wheein!” The rambling words from Moonbyul’s mouth startled Solar, who looked between the two girls with eyes that slowly widened in shocked understanding.

 

“You two--”

 

“No time. Go, now!” Moonbyul rushed forward to the window, helping hold Solar as Wheein dropped down first.

 

“You too?”

 

“I’ll explain later.” Moonbyul ignored Solar’s chilling tone as she followed her, landing softly on the grass next to Wheein. “I’ll lead--” She stumbled to a halt as the dark outlines of three figures came into view.

 

“P-Prince.” Wheein’s voice trembled, but she retained her firm hold on Solar’s wrist as she stepped in front of Solar to shield her.

 

“Kuku.” Narrowed eyes glanced from Wheein, to Moonbyul, then to Solar who stood behind the two.

 

“T-These are my friends! You told me you’d let me sneak them out!”

 

“I did. I can accept that captain, I suppose,” his arm remained on the pommel of his sword, “but that girl behind you--”

 

“She’s a friend!”

 

“She’s the queen.” The sword whistled as he pulled it from its sheath and held it out before him. “We talked about this, Kuku. In conquests, someone’s head needs to roll. You said it yourself.”

 

“We can just say she died during the battle. Maybe drowned in the moat. Maybe burnt in a pyre. Any excuse would work.”

 

“When everyone in the empire knows her face? What will you do when they see you on the streets and start questioning me?”

 

“I won’t let that happen.”

 

“People need to be appeased after tonight.”

 

“I won’t let you.” Wheein drew out a dagger while Moonbyul unsheathed her sword.

 

“Don’t make this more difficult than necessary. We’ve all had to sacrifice a friend or two at some point.”

 

“She’s not just a friend.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“She’s my lover.”

 

The prince halted his advance, bewilderment flashing over his face. Then, he threw his shoulders back, roaring in laughter. No one dared move as all eyes focused on the prince who was doubled over, catching his breath.

 

“I love her--”

 

“Enough.” He wiped tears of mirth from his eyes as he raised his sword back up. “I don’t believe you. But even if I did,” he cocked his head to the side, mouth curling, “lovers can be sacrificed too. Hwasa, you and other soldier, take the captain. I’ll deal with Kuku myself.”

 

His evenly paced steps towards Wheein jerked to a halt as cold steel glinted in his side vision. Hastily raising his blade, he rocked backward from the effort of blocking Hwasa’s swing.

 

“You. I should have known.” His other guard leapt to his defense as he got back onto his feet. “Once a traitor, always a traitor, eh?”

 

“I’ve always been loyal to what I believe in.” Hwasa’s curt reply followed her next swing. “Wheein, take Solar and run!”

 

She and Moonbyul stood against the prince, weapons drawn. Wheein mumbled a quick thanks and took off with Solar in tow.

 

“You really think she’ll get away?” laughed the prince as he rolled his neck, loosening his shoulders for the impending fight. “And do you think you two will ever live to meet them again even if they do?”

 

“I beat you once, prince.”

 

“Let’s see you do it again then!” With a roar, he leapt forward, crashing his blade against Hwasa’s while Moonbyul furiously whirled her sword, engaging the soldier beside him.




 

---

 

The brambles tore through their leather shoes as they raced through the field, adrenaline and fear drowning any whimper of pain that dared rise. The wind carried along the faint clanging of blade against blade, the unwilling screams of the dying, the triumphant howls of victory. Solar could see the growing columns of grey smoke rising in the distance and red-orange light flickering over the castle despite it being the dead of night.

 

Wheein slid down the mud slope, weaving between the rustling reeds. Dark, grimy water, barely constrained between gravelly banks, flowed south, violent ripples another break in the serenity of night.

 

“Come down. I’ve got you, Solar.” She held her hands out, ready to catch the body that would come tumbling down.

 

“WATCH OUT!” Solar’s shriek pierced through the dark, and Wheein turned, just a little too slowly.

 

And to the wrong direction.

 

A blade glistened in the light reflected off the river as it sliced towards Wheein’s back..

 

Wheein fell forward, gravel crunching as she tumbled to avoid the second blow of the blade. She pulled her dagger out and flung it. The black-clothed assassin fell limp moments later. Stumbling forward, she wrenched her blade free and squinted around the darkness to detect any other threat.

 

“Wheein!” Solar rushed towards the girl, heart hammering in her chest and breath caught in . “Wheein, are you alright?” Her shaking hands reached to grab hold of the girl, worry urging her to inspect every inch of the girl smiling ever so gently back at her.

 

Wheein held Solar’s hands. “I’m ok. Thank god that was the only enemy. A boat should be up ahead. We’ll be able to escape soon.”

 

They jogged, side by side, hand in hand until they came across the small vessel gently rocking, restrained by a rope tied to a wooden post. Wheein leapt in, grunting softly as she landed. Shaking her head, she forced a smile back on her face and held out her hand to help Solar into the boat.

 

Snip. The boat took off, released into the river’s hungry current.


 

“So, what now?” Solar broke the silence as she sat facing Wheein on the other end of the boat.

 

“Now? Well, now, we’re free. What next, though, I don’t know.”

 

“So you would steal a queen from her bedchambers for a spontaneous plan.”

 

“Love makes you do crazy things.”

 

“5 years is a long time, Wheein.” The clouds in the night sky began to thin, strips of moonlight peeking through to light the solemn expression on Solar’s face.

 

“I never forgot you. Never forgot how sorry I was, how sorry I should be.”

 

“But you just left! Everything was revealed after! My father’s doings, the corruption in the government. If you had stayed--”

 

“I wouldn’t have been pardoned. Treachery is still treachery. People remain suspicious.”

 

“Not one letter. Not a single message saying anything. How am I supposed to forgive someone who won’t even talk to me?”

 

“Moonbyul--” Wheein suddenly grimaced as she held the rudder, bending over with gasping breaths.

 

“Are you ok?” Solar leaned forward.

 

“I-I’m ok. Just a little tired. It’s been a hectic day.” Her cheeks lifted at the sincere concern in Solar’s gaze.

 

“When we arrive at wherever we’re going, let’s take a long rest. We both need it.”

 

Anxiousness ran through Wheein’s numbing body. “I-I love you Solar. So much. Please, believe me.”

 

“O-Of course I believe you.” The brightening streaks of moonlight revealed the pink flush on Solar’s rosy cheeks. “Why so sudden--”

 

Wheein rushed forward, boat rocking under the sudden change in balance, to press an passionate, desperate kiss against Solar’s cold lips. The seconds ticked along as she cupped Solar’s chin in her hand, leaning even closer, more urgently, to let blood rush to warm lips bitten by the cold. Her heart pounded within her chest and she felt warmth spread between their interwoven fingers and through the thin layers of cloth that separated their bodies.

 

She pulled back, feeling warmth still seeping from her body. Up above, the full moon finally broke free from the curtains of fog that had restrained it.

 

“I love you,” said Wheein, hand losing its grip on the rudder. She melted under Solar’s loving gaze, hoping to forever etch her image in those brown orbs she could endlessly stare and fall into.

 

However, the shy, happy smile on Solar’s face distorted into horror as the moon shone down at the bright, reddening wood of the boat behind Wheein.

 

“I love--”

 

“No! Wheein, I love you too! D-Don’t, don’t leave me. Not again. I love you, I love you, so please...”

 

The blood drained from Solar’s face as she caught Wheein’s falling torso.

 

“Wheein? Wheein!”

 

“Just a little tired. I love you, Solar.”

 

“I--”

 

Wheein’s body fell limp within her hands.



“WHEEIN!”

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A short epilogue, as requested.

 

 

The men in the bar sat on wooden stools, tankards of ale clutched in white-knuckled hands as they waited for the mischievous storyteller to continue her story.

 

She smacked her dry lips, chuckling at the looks of anticipation on the guests’ faces. Her hand stretched out with her empty mug and the bar maid came over, sloshing another filling of the hard brown liquor into the wooden cup.

 

One of the men could not take the wait any longer and blurted out, “So?”

 

“So what?” She took a satisfying swig.

 

“That can’t be the end to the story!” All around him, a chorus of rowdy yells of agreement thundered throughout the bar. The warm fire in the hearth flickered too, as if also dissatisfied by the sudden ending.

 

“Why not?”

 

“But what happens to them? Is Wheein alive? How did Solar react after?” A grizzly man slammed his mug down, desire to hear more trembling throughout that huge frame.

 

“Yeah! What about Moonbyul and Hwasa? What happened to the empire? You can’t leave us hanging!” pleaded a scraggly stranger, meal left forgotten on the tabletop.

 

“Hmm. It isn’t quite as interesting afterwards.”

 

“Just tell us!”

 

“Woah there, give the lady some breathing space.” A lean, toned mercenary propped her elbow on the table, snickering at the near tangible excitement in the room.

 

“Yeah, you better all back up first.” The short-haired guard languidly leaned against the counter, cracking her knuckles as her elbow brushed the handle of her axe.

 

“Well, Wheein survived.”

 

“Hell yes!” A muffled scream of happiness came from a corner of the room.

 

“She made up with Solar and they’re living together, happily.” She barely finished her sentence before the bar guests began stomping their feet in elation. She could swear there was a tear or two as well from some of their eyes.

 

“And Hwasa? And Moonbyul?”

 

The storyteller looked down at the young teenage farmhand tugging at her sleeve. The boy had been hanging onto her every word for the last few hours with eyes dazed in wonder.

 

“They’re all right too.” The guard stepped forward as she spoke, mercenary right behind her. “Making good use of their skills the way they want.”

 

“And dealing with Solar’s and Wheein’s endless crazy antics.” The mercenary grimaced as the storyteller subtly stomped on her foot.

 

“Wow.” The farmhand’s mouth still hung open as he digested the story. “Thanks so much. I love coming to the bar on the weekends for your stories!”

 

The bar maid came over with her pitcher. “You’re lucky we’re not chasing away young kids like you. At your age, you should be--”

 

“Relax. Cut the kid a break.” The storyteller elbowed her, causing a bit of the ale to splatter out of the overflowing container.

 

“But miss, where did you hear this story from?” Head cocked to the side in puzzlement, the farmhand cut in before the two could start bickering. “The empire sounds a bit like the one that collapsed over 10 years ago, in that faraway land. But the rest...did you make that up?”

 

The four ladies surrounding the boy chuckled at the same time.

 

“Now, kid.” The storyteller placed her hands on the boy’s legs. The neckline of her shirt slipped, and anyone who was behind her would have been able to see the white lines of a scar stretching over her shoulder. “Who said any of this story was fake?”


 

Inside the bar, the bellowing of semi-drunk guests huddled around a blazing fire livened the atmosphere as they sought shelter from the cold nights of winter and their lonely homes.


Outside, the icy wind blew across the front of the store. Barely hanging askew above the door, the wooden sign board swung creakily on one nail, carved store name barely recognizable. Mamamoo