Haunt My Heart

Getting it Fixed

*OT4 as ghosts. Moonbyul and Hwasa find that there's more to rookie ghosts Solar and Wheein than meets the eye. (Moonsun, a little wheesa) 

 


 

“They double-booked us!” Moonbyul floated through the wall, ghostly figure glowing a simmering red. “And I got there too late!”

 

“You lost the commission then?” Hwasa muttered, more interested in rearranging her collection of Chucky figurines than in the escaping wisps of Moonbyul’s anger. “Yo, you’re losing shape, Moonbyul.”

 

Moonbyul took a deep breath through puffed cheeks. Her figure paled to a pink, then finally to a cloudy white as the tendrils of her phantom self curled back within her, cooled by the icy wind blowing through the cracks of the cabin.

 

“Ok. I’m calm.”

 

“Good for you.”

 

“You could at least show some interest. Or maybe some sympathy.”

 

“I’m doing my best.” Hwasa patted Moonbyul on the back disinterestedly, hand phasing through the body. She went back to the row of dolls.

 

“Great best friend you are,” grumbled Moonbyul as she drifted towards her side of the cabin. She picked up a jar with a clear, seemingly weightless liquid sloshing around inside. She eyed her dwindling stock of essence. “You’ll be a lot more worried when we run out and have to move out of the cabin into some dreadful, damp cave.”

 

“It won’t get that bad. There’s plenty of places to haunt around here. And we have priority over this territory.” An eerie chuckle came out of Hwasa’s mouth. “If they knew any better, they wouldn’t be messing with us.”

 

“You mean with you.”

 

“I’m an innocent spirit.”

 

“Says the one who sent those implings screaming and fleeing with tucked tails.”

 

“Implings always scream.”

 

“Oh yes. Especially when their wings are on fire and they’re escaping from a raging hellhound.” Moonbyul rolled her eyes as best she could, remembering the time one of those critters had broken into the cabin and cracked one of Hwasa’s toys. Hwasa that day had truly been a force to be reckoned with.

 

“Just be glad I’m on your side, right?” Hwasa smirked as she settled down to rest, satisfied with the painstaking arrangement of her belongings. “Who was the one who stole the job from you by the way? I’ll keep her in mind.”

 

“Some rookie ghost name Solar. Solar,” scoffed Moonbyul, breath hissing in dissatisfaction. “What kind of ghost name is Solar anyways?”

 

“You’re fading again. Pull yourself together and get some rest. Dawn’s breaking.” Hwasa’s figure fizzled and she closed her eyes.

 

“Hmph.”

 

Thin sunlight peeked through the thick canopy of the forest and lit the decrepit roof of the abandoned cabin. Another morning, another day.



 

---

Solar was on a roll. A solid haunting per week since she had first started. At this rate, she’d be getting that coveted ‘Rookie Spectre Award’ and be able to move into the gifted gorgeous old Victorian mansion that was at the edge of town.

 

No more mildew and rats! Solar’s wispy limbs trembled in anticipation of the future out of the damp, dark hole she and Wheein were residing in right now. Their current situation was to be expected though, the two of them being fresh recruits out of the academy.

 

You need to work hard to move up. That was something that never changed no matter what.

 

Solar pulled on her cheeks, staring at her reflection in the puddle of murky water while twisting her facial features into as many ‘ghost-appropriate’ expressions she could.

 

“Wheein. How do I look? Do I look ready for work?”

 

“You look like you always do. Scooch over a bit.” Wheein came beside her, also looking into the stagnant surface. “Mmm. I look nice and pasty.”

 

“Are you heading out now?”

 

“Yeah, I picked up an E level haunt mission at the board yesterday.” Wheein brushed a couple strands of her straight black hair in front of her face. “I don’t think I’m even required to show myself. It’s a collaboration with the reapers. All I have to do haunt some phones, blabber about death and specific dates, and then I’m done.”

 

“Oh that sounds fun!” exclaimed Solar, clapping her hands together soundlessly.

 

“What about you? Don’t tell me you went for the higher ranking ones again?”

 

“They pay better. And they’re worth more towards our overall end-year evaluation.”

 

“That’s true, but it’s an unspoken taboo to not do that. Our seniors will get pissed,” sighed Wheein, puddle surface rippling as she glided over it.

 

“Uh well…”

 

“No. Tell me you didn’t,” accused Wheein hand freezing over her collection jar.

 

“Too late?”

 

“Ugh Solar! You know how some of them can get! They never let a grudge go.” Wheein grabbed her head in her hands, groaning.

 

Back when they were still in training, rumors were always flying around about the latest spooks by the academy’s successful grads. They were role models, for sure. But they were also individuals that you would dread crossing.

 

“Remember that story about that girl who’s graduated the year before us? The one who crawled out of the TV’s? Hwa...Hwa…” Wheein frowned, trying to remember the name that had been whispered reverently in the halls for weeks. “Whatever, forgot the name. But the point is--”

 

“To be careful. I know, you’ve been telling me that forever.”

 

“It hasn’t even been that long. Only the 20 years we spent together training.”

 

“At least we graduated early.” Solar whimpered in disgust as a rat crawled mindlessly through her leg.

 

“Some ghost you are. Well, I’m off! I can’t be late. Reapers will kill me. Don’t forget my words now Solar.” Wheein tipped an imaginary hat before fading into the dimly lit opening of the cave.

 

“Yeesh.” Solar grabbed the flier for her own job and headed out. But despite Wheein’s warnings about the seniors, she really hoped she’d be able to see that senior of hers again.



 

---

“Cabin in the woods. Hmm. ‘Go to the cabin in the woods’. What kind of directions are these?” Moonbyul growled as she threw the paper onto the forest floor, watching it combust and turn to a crisp.

 

She glared at the surrounding foliage, flailing her arms in exasperation. How was she to find the right cabin in the woods anyways? She swooped around tree after tree, hoping to find the telltale yellow lamps lighting the wooden boarding of the shack. Or maybe the laughter of college students who had no idea the horror their weekend excursion was about to turn into.

 

She salivated a little as she rubbed her hands together, thinking of the nice pay this large job would give. As long as she didn’t get there too late. She hurried forward, ears picking up the low hum of voices in the distance.

 

Suddenly, another white blob cut into her path up ahead. It appeared to also be heading towards the same cabin that was now faintly visible between the dark tree trunks lining the clearing.

 

Oh hell no. Not again! Moonbyul sped up, head lowered resolutely and braced for impact.

 

Poof. The other ghost tumbled off towards the side, squeal of surprise punctuated by ‘oofs’ and ‘oomphs’ as she shot back through tree after tree.

 

“You! Again!” snarled Moonbyul as she approached the ghostly girl who had finally stopped her flailing backwards and was getting herself oriented. “Don’t tell me you’re here to steal this job from me again?”

 

“Who the hell--” Solar’s returning rant fell off her tongue as she looked up at her attacker. “Uh--”

 

Me. I attacked you. Got a problem?”

 

“No--”

 

“This is ridiculous. Being interrupted twice. Let me see your ghosting license.” Moonbyul stuck out her hand impatiently.

 

Solar gaped at the ghost.

 

“ID. Here. Now. Don’t tell me you’re unlicensed?”

 

“No! I am. One second.” She dug into her back pocket. “Here it is.”

 

“Che. Solar. Graduated from my alma mater five years after I did.” Moonbyul slanted her eyes. “I didn’t know they stopped teaching you guys basic manners after I left.”

 

“W-What do you mean?”

 

Moonbyul flipped the card over and a glaring red ‘E’ stared back at them. “What is an E rank like you trying to do a B rank mission?”

 

“I--”

 

“Don’t you realize that one, it’s rude to your seniors who are actually of rank, when you take jobs that should be left to them? And two, taking jobs above your skill level can be dangerous. What would you do if an exorcist gets you?”

 

“I’m confident in my skills,” huffed Solar.

 

“Beside the point. Anyways, I understand we were double-booked during that last job you stole from me.” Solar cringed under Moonbyul’s baleful glance. “But why are you here again? I doubt the goblin bookkeepers screwed up again.”

 

“This is a job for two.”

 

“What?”

 

“Didn’t you read the fine print?”

 

Moonbyul grimaced as she recalled the flier that was now no more than ash.

 

“So I guess we’ll be working together.”

 

“I loathe overconfident rookies like you.” Moonbyul ignored the hand that Solar had proffered. She began floating once more towards the cabin, not caring whether Solar was behind her or not.

 

Solar muttered as she followed, “That’s not what I’ve heard about you.”



 

---

“You’re possessing the wrong doll!”

 

“Aghhhh! Why’d you do that? You made them summon the zombies! Never mess with the zombies!”

 

Blub. Blub. God damn it I hate aquatic side-jobs!”

 

“It’s hard to reform or maintain shape after getting shot, don’t you know that?”

 

“No, the dies last. Get the ritual right.”

 

Solar was sure she had never met a ghost as naggy as Moonbyul. Not even her ‘Expressions 101’ professor who had made her life a living hell when every one of her faces had made the test subjects laugh instead of scream.

 

So by the time they had finished the job, Solar was drop dead exhausted.

 

“Not bad.”

 

“You...you mean me?” Solar looked around, making sure Moonbyul wasn’t giving the compliment to that giant snake who would most likely be getting mvp.

 

“Yep, you,” admitted Moonbyul reluctantly as they sat outside the collapsing building. “Pretty decent for a rookie, I suppose.”

 

“I couldn’t tell,” grumbled Solar quietly under her breath. In a louder voice, she said, “Well, thanks, Moonbyul.”

 

“Oh? How do you know my name? I don’t remember ever telling you.”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Solar whipped her head around to stare incredulously at the girl next to her. “Don’t you know you’re like the most famous in your year? People still talk about you all the time!”

 

“Ah, they’re exaggerating.”

 

“No way. Your grudge act was iconic! As expected from valedictorian!”

 

“Oh that.” Moonbyul rubbed the nape of her neck sheepishly. “It was just a lucky stint.”

 

“Everybody loved it though! That reminds me!” Solar dug her hands into her pockets once more. “Can I have your autograph?”

 

“Uh what?”

 

“I actually meant to ask you for it the first time I saw you. But you were really pissed…”

 

“For good reason.” Her tone was stern, but the corner of her lips quirked up.

 

“Sorry.” Solar’s wisps turned a rosy pink. “I was just overwhelmed that I actually met my idol in person. I never thought it would ever happen. Especially not so soon after I started ghosting myself.”

 

“Please. I don’t deserve all that praise.” Chuckling, Moonbyul signed the little slip of paper Solar had pulled out of nowhere. “Well, it’s been real. I got to get back soon, or my partner’s going to start raging about food and how i never eat with her”

 

“But we don’t need to eat…”

 

“She likes the taste of chicken. I know, she’s got strange habits. But she’s still my best friend regardless.” Moonbyul rolled her eyes and got up, pulling out her compass.

 

“Moonbyul..”

 

“Yep?”

 

“C-Can we meet again? I-If you don’t want to, that’s fine too! I-I don’t want to burden you--”

 

“Of course you can visit me.”

 

“Could I bring my partner too? She’s a big fan of you as well!”

 

“No problem. Give me your spirit compass. I’ll register my address.”

 

Solar watched giddily as a strand of white floated from Moonbyul into the device.

 

“Here you go. I’ll see you some other time then!”

 

Solar hugged her compass to her chest as she watched Moonbyul’s departure. If she actually still had a heart, she was sure it’d be pounding furiously about now. Even if it didn’t beat, the area where her heart should be still pulsed a pure red amidst the burning rubble behind her.



 

---

“It should be right around here.” Solar squinted at the quivering needle in her spirit compass.

 

“Are you sure we’re not lost, Solar?”

 

“Relax Wheein. It’ll be worth it when we see her! I swear, she’s even more amazing in ghost than in the rumors.” Solar fluttered forward a few more feet, gaze piercing through the dense forest. “There!”

 

She snapped her compass close and headed briskly towards the rundown shack with vines crawling up its sides.

 

“We’ll really see the Grudge in person?” Wheein’s eyes shone in the dark. “Like the actual Grudge?”

 

“Don’t call her that. Just call her Moonbyul.” Solar rapped on the wooden paneling

 

“I want her to sign my card as the grudge though. It’s cooler. And I’ll be able to show it off to my friends.”

 

“Jeez Wheein--” She stopped talking as the door creakily swung open and the attractive ghost of her dreams stood smiling at her once again.

 

Wait. Attractive. Dreams. Solar almost forgot to respond as Moonbyul greeted her.

 

“Solar! I see you found your way just fine. Is that your partner?” Moonbyul tilted to the right to grin at the shorter figure trembling excitedly behind her. “Hello. I’m Moonbyul.”

 

“Grudge!” squeaked Wheein.

 

“Yes, I am,” laughed Moonbyul, eyebrows raised comically at the swooning ghost behind Solar.

 

“Oh my god, oh my god!” Wheein floated around in frantic circles, trying to calm herself down.

 

“Your friend’s such a cute one.” Moonbyul chuckled as she turned towards Solar. “What’s her name?”

 

“Wheein. A-And hold on, you said cute--”

 

“Come on in guys.” Moonbyul floated back into the dark confines of the cabin. From within, her disembodied voice spoke out, “It’s getting too bright out. My partner will be back soon too. I’ll introduce you guys when she returns.”

 

After they were all inside, the door slammed shut behind them.

 

“Oh my god, you can do advanced telekinesis!” Wheein squealed again, admiration radiating from every wispy tendril of her being.

 

“It’s one of the reason I managed to rise to B rank so quickly.” Winking, Moonbyul settled herself onto a rocking chair. “It was innate for me. Usually takes quite a while to learn for others.”

 

“I thought you disliked rookies.” Solar’s low mutter went unnoticed by the fangirling Wheein, but Moonbyul’s keen ears picked up the slight annoyance in her tone.

 

“Well, I hate cocky rookies. But I guess I have a soft spot for cuties?”

 

“Cuties?” sputtered Solar, darting a glance towards her partner who was flashing a rainbow of colors behind her. “You think Wheein is cute?”

 

“You’re quite pretty yourself.”

 

“Then why did you hate me that much? When we met?”

 

“Cocky. Remember?”

 

“Ah.” Solar bent her head low.

 

“I’m over it, don’t worry. But you really ought to stay within your job rank.”

 

“I will...Wait.” Solar’s brow furrowed as she digested the last few words. “You called me pretty?”

 

“Wow. You’re a bit slow. No offense.”

 

“You called me pretty.” Solar murmured, eyes clouding as her own figure began to flicker in as many colors as Wheein’s.

 

“Um,” Moonbyul stretched out a confused hand, and a cold burst of wind blew through the cracks, dousing the two rookies’ spazzing. “There we go. For a moment, I thought you two were having emotional breakdowns. You have to watch out, they can rip you apart from the inside sometimes.”

 

“And whose fault is that.” This time, Solar’s mutter went unnoticed by everyone.

 

Woosh. The door swung open again.

 

“Must be my roommate.”

 

“AHHHHHHH!”

 

“SATAN SAVE MEEEEE!”

 

The two girls shrunk and darted behind Moonbyul’s chair as a pale nun entered the room, cracks running down a pasty white face that had two, dreadfully black pits holding yellow orbs where eyes ought to be.

 

“WHOOOO DARESSSS---”

 

“Hwasa. They’re my guests. Take that off.”

 

“You’re no fun Moonbyul. Always ruining my day.” Hwasa’s figure shimmered and soon the curvy, short haired ghost came into view.

 

“A nun? Really?”

 

“It was a new experience.. You should have seen their faces! Of all the things, they never expected a nun.” Hwasa chortled as she swished her near-full jar of essence. “Apparently, it was good enough to even scare ghosts away. Who are they?”

 

“Solar, Wheein, meet Hwasa.” She took hold of their hands and dragged them beside her. “She’s not usually this much of an to people she’s met for the first time. But sometimes she can’t help herself.”

 

“Thanks for the intro, Moonbyul.”

 

“H-Hwasa?” Wheein’s eyes began to widen once again. “Hwasa, a-as in from the Ring commissions?”

 

“Moonbyul, uh, is she ok?” Hwasa pointed suspiciously at the girl whose torso began to flicker again in excitement.

 

“No. It’s because you were an .”

 

“O-Oh no. What do I do?” Hands gesturing wildly, Hwasa attempted to summon a gust of wind to blow some calm into the twitching girl. However, in her worry, the boarded shutters of the windows blasted open, and a mini tornado swept through the cabin, carrying away the girl.

 

Wheein’s shrieks floated on the howling wind, fading into the distance.

 

“Oh .”

 

“Damn Hwasa. You are an , aren’t you?” Moonbyul sat up on the rocking chair, peering through the open windows in an attempt to pinpoint the small blob of white hurtling away from the cabin.

 

HELPPPP MEEEE!!”

 

“That’s your cue. Go and fetch her back, would you? You’re really making a terrible first impression for Solar.”

 

Cursing under her breath, Hwasa shot out the window frame after Wheein’s figure. Moonbyul waved her hand and the shutters slammed closed again. Sighing, she leaned back into her chair, slowly rocking along to the newly peaceful silence.

 

“Moonbyul.”

 

“Yes, Solar?”

 

“Is Wheein going to be ok?”

 

“Tsk. Much as I hate to admit it, Hwasa’s quite capable herself. So Wheein will be fine. Probably.”

 

“Is she always like this?”

 

“Hwasa? She’s really kind of a ‘my pace’ kind of ghost. She’s hard to define, into a this, or a that. She just does whatever she wants, when she wants. She’s always been like that, even when we were in training together.” Moonbyul unconsciously shuddered, remembering the days when Hwasa had dragged her along in her pranks and random excursions. If the professors had even caught on to a quarter of the things they had done in those days, there would have been a lot more grimaces of discontent as Moonbyul had made her valedictorian speech.

 

“What about you?”

 

Moonbyul paused her creaking to stare amusedly at Solar. “Why don’t we start with what you’ve heard about me? And what you think about me? First impressions are big. And I’m quite curious.”

 

“You’re a legend. The youngest ever,” Solar pursed her lips as she stared at the window, “well one of the youngest ghosts to ever land such a successful gig.”

 

“Uh huh. Exaggeration. Next?”

 

“I-I’ve actually seen you in the ghost academy a few times. F-From a distance.” Solar fidgeted around, hands itching to do something other than float limply at her sides. She reached out towards the dresser with a bunch of dolls stationed on top.

 

“Better not do that. Hwasa might kill you.”

 

“But I’m already dead.”

 

“Hwasa’s imaginative.” Moonbyul stretched a hand out and grabbed Solar’s wrist, tugging her from the cursed collection. “Now. Back to the discussion. You’ve met me before? How come I don’t remember?”

 

“I didn’t really meet you per se.” Solar fidgeted around once more, but this time it was because Moonbyul had dragged the younger ghost on top of her lap. “You were always surrounded by others. And you were a few grades older. So I kind of just watched you?”

 

“What a stalker.” The chair creaked more violently as Moonbyul twisted and turned to avoid the punches Solar shot at her. “I’m just saying! You could have just walked up and talked to me. It’s not like I’m a difficult person to approach.”

 

Moonbyul grabbed her wrists to stop the barrage, and Solar shivered as she felt their spiritual matter swirl and mix upon contact.

 

“See. This is why they say looks never match personality,” grumbled Moonbyul as she finally released Solar. “You’re so pretty, but you’re so violent. And a little creepy.”

 

“Creepiness is a virtue. It’s in the manual, article 204.”

 

“And so straight-laced!” Moonbyul clapped her hand to her forehead in mock disappointment. “I can’t believe you named me as someone you idolized, considering how different we are.”

 

“I-I really do respect you though!”  

 

Solar’s ghostly outline flushed a deep red, just as the door swung open. Hwasa glided in with a huff. She was holding Wheein by the scruff of her neck and she retained her hold as she motioned for the door to close.

 

“That took you a while.”

 

“Shut up Moonbyul. You don’t know how far I had to go to fetch this girl.”

 

“Why are you holding her like that though? She’s not a puppy.” Moonbyul raised an eye at how Hwasa swung her arm, Wheein’s limbs dangling in front of her. She frowned. Wheein’s shape was flickering again.

 

“Let’s go again Hwasa! That was sooooo much fun!”

 

“And you don’t know how much this girl talks.” Hwasa released her grip and Wheein plopped down, turning around to give her pleading, puppy dog eyes. “Apparently she’s always like this. The talking, the flickering, the colors. All endless.” She let out a long sigh.

 

“Wheein doesn’t have good control over her emotions.” Solar stepped in. “So everything she feels is obvious to everyone else around her.”

 

“Talking about obvious,” Hwasa grunted as she looked down and saw a now green Wheein clinging onto her leg, “she isn’t the only one.”

 

“Stop insulting me in front of guests.”

 

“Not you. Damn it Moonbyul, not everything’s about you. I meant her.” Hwasa jerked her head towards Solar, who wobbled back nervously.

 

“W-What do you mean?” asked Solar, nonexistent heart pounding in her nonexistent chest.

 

“Hwasa’s got amplified senses.”

 

“Based on what was emitting out of the cabin, I’m sure anyone could have sensed it. Except maybe Moonbyul of course. Dull.” The last word was muttered with exasperation. Moonbyul leapt from her chair, pulsing red arms stretching towards Hwasa’s throat.

 

“You little--”

 

“Moonbyul you prick--”

 

“I’ve had enough of your sass-”

 

“Least I have personality--”

 

“Oh I have plenty of personality--”

 

“Says your nonexistent love-life--”

 

“That’s low--”

 

“Nothing lower than how badly your last relationship ended up--”

 

“Least I’m not loose--”

 

“Who’s hitting below the belt now?” Hwasa wrenched her hair free from Moonbyul’s grasp, hissing out a steaming puff of air.

 

“Um guys--”

 

“Not now Solar. Hwasa’s too self-centered to listen to you anyways--”

 

“Oh am I? Who was the one bragging about being the ‘Grudge’--”

 

“Least I did more than crawl out a TV or well--”

 

“Please. House hauntings are a dime a dozen--”

 

“So a nun is supposed to be original--”

 

“At least I’m not possessing an axe murderer--”

 

“They use shotguns now--”

 

“How boring--”

 

“Boring as the second time you went against that exorcist?” Moonbyul grinned savagely as Hwasa fell speechless.

 

“I’ll have you know that wasn’t completely my fault!” Hwasa looked down at her leg. Wheein was still looking up at her. “And when will you let go!” She jiggled her leg violently.

 

“H-Hwasa..” Wheein’s wide eyes teared up as she struggled to cling on.

 

“A-Ah I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Immediately ceasing her actions, Hwasa patted the top of Wheein’s head reluctantly. “It was all Moonbyul’s fault anyways.”

 

“You--” Moonbyul’s lunge forward was stopped by Solar’s ethereal arms s around her waist.

 

“Calm down!”

 

“But she--”

 

“Shush.” Solar squeezed tighter and Moonbyul fell silent, not before glaring at Hwasa one last time.

 

“Mmm. Shush. Good little ghost, Moonbyul.” Hwasa strolled around the cabin, Wheein floating along with her. “You better listen to Solar. She’s probably the only one here willing to deal with you anyways.”

 

“Because she’s nice. And not a jerk like you.” Moonbyul stuck out her tongue childishly, arm shooting out from within Solar’s hug every so often to see if Hwasa was still out of reach.

 

“Is that all?” Hwasa wrinkled her nose as she smirked at Solar knowingly. “As I was saying before you so rudely interrupted me,” she dodged backwards from Moonbyul’s swinging arm, “Solar was emitting something rather obvious.” She looked down at her leg. “Wheein, you felt it too right?”

 

Wheein’s head bobbed up and down rapidly. “Yep! It was pretty distinct. Very red. And pink. And maybe a tinge of yellow.”

 

“Red…Anger? Solar, are you angry?”

 

“Oh god.” Hwasa’s jaw dropped at Moonbyul’s question.

 

“You were right.” Wheein shook her head sadly.

 

“Are you sure she was valedictorian?” Solar’s grip around Moonbyul tightened, and Moonbyul began squirming under the gradually heated hold. “How can she be so dull?” Solar couldn’t even be flustered at her secret being revealed when her crush in question wasn’t even able to pick up the clues right in front of her.

 

“Yeah. She’ll be a handful, that’s for sure,” scoffed Hwasa.

 

Wheein leaned forward and sniffed Moonbyul’s spirit. “She’s kind of pink too.”

 

“You think so, Wheein? I sensed a little bit from her as well. But not as strongly as from Solar. But then again, it’s been ages since I’ve sensed anything like that from Moonbyul, so…”

 

“Solar will have a chance then?”

 

“If she’s patient, I think it’ll work out.”

 

“Guys. Guys. What are you saying?” Moonbyul looked from Wheein to Hwasa, confusion painted across her face. “I don’t understand.”

 

“Ask Solar. She knows better than us.”

 

Moonbyul shimmied out of Solar’s suddenly slackened grip. Turning around, she met the gaze of the pulsing red ghost.

 

“Why must you haunt my heart so,” mumbled Solar. She gathered the escaping wisps of her being and her courage back into one semi-solid mass. “Moonbyul--”

 

“Yes?”

 

“What the hell, stop interrupting her, Moonbyul!”

 

Though she didn’t say anything as well, Wheein’s spirit glimmered a reddish-purple of irritation.

 

“You two are really tag teaming--”

 

“--Will you go out with me?” blurted Solar.

 

Everyone in the room was silent as they waited for Moonbyul’s response with bated breaths.

 

“I-I--”

 

“Of course she will!” Hwasa could take it no longer and pushed Moonbyul forward into Solar’s arms. “Sorry about that, Solar! Our Moonbyul is terrible at expressing her feelings!”

 

Moonbyul dug her face out of Solar’s chest and stared menacingly at Hwasa and Wheein, who were clapping and whooping in a safe corner of the cabin.

 

“So, Moonbyul…”

 

She looked up into Solar’s anxious eyes. A low whistle sounded from the corner.

 

Moonbyul glowed a pale pink. “I’d love to.”


 


 

*Quick shoutout to my little sister who came up with this prompt based on something she saw off tumblr! It was fun to write, especially since I watch quite a few horror movies myself. Wonder if you guys manage to catch some of my references in here. 

 

Anyways, thanks for reading, as always!