Rent-a-date

Getting it Fixed

*Hwabyul and Wheebyul

 


Hwasa steps outside her apartment complex, scorching rays of sun immediately falling onto her exposed shoulders as the shadow of the door falls behind her.

 

I should have put on more sunblock.

 

Brushing away the thought of returning back inside, she instead tosses her hair back, pulls down her sleeves some more, and shrugs her large tote bag back over her shoulder.

 

It's been a while since she's been out shopping. Real shopping. Not that simple online, click and buy crap. But actual shopping, going to the big malls, strolling through the shops, trying on the merchandise.

 

Now, if only she had someone to shop with.

 


 

"I can't go! I'm going to help out at the animal shelter today!" Wheein, her childhood friend, turns her down to play with some puppies.

 

"Uh, Hwasa, I really wish I could. But I looked outside the window today and I swear I saw him again. I can't risk it. I'm sorry." And Solar's once again hiding from her ex.


 

 

"Whatever! I'll just shop alone!" Hwasa juts her chin up with a 'hmph', walking forward briskly with narrowed, irritated eyes, until she nearly runs into a telephone pole.

 

. Why is this in my way. She raises a clenched fist, ready to punch the pole, but thinks better of it. There will be real people to dump her anger on later. Preferably underpaid, overworked shop assistants on a Saturday afternoon.

 

As she strides past the pole, the flapping of paper in the slight breeze catches her eye.

 

There's an ad stapled to the pole, cut strips fluttering by a few torn ends.


 

 

"Lonely? Desperate for a companion for the day? Rent a date today! No strings attached! No questions asked! Just call the number below!"


 

 

Hwasa her head to the side, studying the messily drawn stick figures below the description, likely depicting two people out on a date. So childish.

 

But maybe it's worth checking out. After all, she is a bit annoyed that she has no one to shop with. Before she knows it, her phone's in her hand, dialing the number on one of the stubs. And she rips one off and sticks it in her bag. Just in case.

 

Ring. Ring. Click.

 

"Thank you for calling Rent-a-Date Agency! For day dates, please press one. For a night companion, press 2."

 

Night dates? What is this... Hwasa presses one.

 

"You are in the day date directory! Press 1 to be forwarded to a female employee. Press 2 for a male employee."

 

Hwasa's going shopping. She may be feeling a little pissed off today, but she's not that much of an to drag an unwilling guy out to the mall for 5 hours.

 

She presses 1 again.

 

"Please wait a moment!" The tone goes busy, and a familiar tune begins to play. It's "You're the best", by some group called Mamamoo. Hwasa hums along to the chorus while she waits for someone to pick up.

 

"Hello? This is Moonbyul, from Rent-a-Date."

 

"Oh. So how does this work? This renting thing?"

 

"It's quite simple. It's an hourly rate for day dates. There's no real restrictions, unless you request something extreme."

 

"That's perfect! Meet me in half an hour. I'm Hwasa. Just call my name out or text me when you get to our meeting spot. I'll text you the location."

 

"Alright!"

 

 

---

Half an hour later, Hwasa stands under the plentiful shade of tree leaves in front of the mall, checking her phone while she waits for Moonbyul to contact her.

 

"Hwasa!"

 

She hears the low, husky tones of a girl a short distance away, gradually becoming louder as the owner nears. She looks up, eyes darting around to search for the one calling her name.

 

"Hwasa? Are you here?"

 

A tall girl, clad in plaid over a white v-neck and sporting ripped jeans on thin, lean legs, walks by, head down in concentration towards her phone screen, fingers flying across the screen.

 

Hwasa steps in front of the girl. "Moonbyul?" She extends a hand. "I'm Hwasa."

 

"Nice to meet you! So what are we going to be doing today?"

 

"Shopping. A ton of shopping."


 

---

1 hour later

 

"Hello? Excuse me? Do you guys sell this shirt, but in a size smaller? And maybe in purple? You don't know? Could you check your back storeroom just in case? I really love this design, but it's just...not quite right, you know? I've tried it on, but it doesn't quite fit my body the way I'd want it to. Doesn't quite line my body right. Ah while you're at it, could you possibly also check the back for this denim skirt that's on this mannequin? I'd love to try it on but the only sizes left on the shelf are extra large. Thank you so much!"

 

The shop assistant nods, cheeks twitching as she tries to maintain a smile towards Hwasa. Then she spins around on one foot and stiffly marches towards the back door.

 

Hwasa sighs contentedly as she sits down and waits for the assistant to return.

 

"You could have been a little nicer to her." Moonbyul shifts in her seat to look at Hwasa. "She looks like she's probably having a difficult day."

 

"Please. This is a typical request at shops like these and it's no way unreasonable. And whose date are you again, Moonbyul?"

 

"Usually, when people call our agency, they generally ask us to go out with them. Like out on a real date. Maybe to a movie. Maybe to a restaurant."

 

"Are you really that dissatisfied hanging out with me?"

 

"Well, no?" She shrinks back from Hwasa's piercing stare, fumbling with the buttons on her shirt. "It's just, no one's really ever called us just to have someone go shopping with them."

 

"Companion for the day. That's what your ad said."

 

"But--"

 

"Oh, look she's back!"

 

Sure enough, the store assistant lumbers out, using her back to push the stockroom door open as she turns, arms laden with Hwasa's requested clothing. There's a thin sheen of perspiration on her forehead, and both Hwasa and Moonbyul notice the grimace on her face that lingers briefly before a business smile once again plasters itself on top.  

 

"It'll probably be more fun if you try out clothes too, Moonbyul. Why don't you ask the assistant for some help?" Hwasa takes the clothes and saunters off to the changing stalls.

 

Rubbing the fabric of a nearby leather jacket between her fingers, Moonbyul ponders the option. She might as well, since she's here anyways.

 

"Miss? Can you see if you have this jacket in brown?"

 

She doesn't miss the dirty glare the assistant sends towards the changing stall Hwasa is in before stalking off back to the stockroom.


 

---

2 hours later

 

"Aren't you going to eat anything other than chicken?" Moonbyul stares at the growing tower of chicken bones on Hwasa's plate.

 

"Other than chicken? What else is necessary other than chicken?"

 

"Maybe a bowl of noodles? Some rice? Maybe a drink?"

 

"Ooh, a can of beer would be really good right now!" Hwasa nods her chin in approval at Moonbyul's suggestion.

 

"That's not what I meant...nevermind."

 

"Just eat up, Moonbyul. I'm paying for it. If you don't want it," she reaches over and steals a wing from Moonbyul, "I'm more than willing to finish for you."

 

"Go ahead." Moonbyul pushes the platter towards the girl, watching with a chuckle as Hwasa's face lights up in delight. "If you like food so much, we should have gone to a restaurant. Not a mall."

 

"You seem pretty happy with your new jacket though."

 

Moonbyul looks down at the folded brown leather in a bag beside her feet. "I just felt bad not buying anything."

 

"That's what they always say." Hwasa herself has three bags by her chair. "I don't get to go out shopping all too often so I've got to go all out when I can."

 

"So why with me? Why our agency?"

 

Hwasa finishes up the last of the chicken, wiping her fingers and lips clean. "Can't I?"

 

"I mean, shopping is something you usually do with friends." Moonbyul gasps. "Wait, do you not have friends--"

 

"Don't be stupid. They're just busy today." Hwasa stands, stretches, and hands her bags to Moonbyul.

 

"What are these-"

 

"Be a proper date and hold my bags, sweetie? Let's go. I'm done eating." Ignoring the stuttering girl's protests, she beckons with her finger for Moonbyul to follow her.


 

---

3 hours later

 

"Hey. Catch."

 

Moonbyul frowns in confusion as she waits for Hwasa outside the changing stall.

 

Suddenly, a black object comes flying over the curtain. Moonbyul arm darts out to grab it before it falls. Her other hand pinches an end of the cloth, and she stretches it out before her.

 

"HWASA!" Moonbyul hurriedly drops her arms, shoving the scrunched up undergarment behind her in a fist as she forces an innocent smile on, nodding jerkily towards a mother and child pair that are hurrying away

in the opposite direction. The mother has her hand hovered over her son's eyes, and as she leaves, she gives Moonbyul a scowl.

 

She hisses through the gap, "Why the hell are you randomly chucking your bra in the air?"

 

The curtain suddenly gets yanked open, and Hwasa stands before her, posing with her hand on her hip, legs extended elegantly in a short, blue, satin dress. "How does it look?"

 

"You look fine. Well, you actually look pretty hot. Damn that bodyline..." Moonbyul's eyes rake over Hwasa's body appreciatively before remembering her earlier complaint. She s the hand holding Hwasa's bra toward the girl. "Why'd you toss this to me?"

 

"Because I'm not wearing it."

 

"No . Wait, so you're not wearing anything underneath?" Moonbyul's eyes begin to roam again.

 

"The dress has padding."

 

"Oh. Shame."

 

Hwasa raises an eyebrow and looks at the girl leaning casually against the wall, who is eyeing her scantily clad body with her bra in one hand.

 

"I didn't quite peg you as a ert."

 

"I'm just opening up to you. And I'm not the one tossing my underwear out into public spaces."

 

"You're the one catching it and holding on to it."

 

"Touche."

 

Hwasa snatches her bra off Moonbyul's hands with a smirk and strides back into the the stall.

 

"I'm starting to like this date!" calls Moonbyul through the thin plastic dividing the two.

 

"Well you're going to like this next dress then."

 

Moonbyul whistles in admiration when the curtain once again swings open to reveal Hwasa, in a low cut red dress that hugs her hips in an exquisite manner.

 

"I do. I do like it."


 

---

4 hours later

 

Moonbyul regrets her words. This date? This torture, more like it.

 

She's following behind Hwasa once again. Now, her hands are laden with shopping bags, all of them Hwasa's save for one.

 

How in the world can clothes be so, ing heavy. The paper and plastic handles of the bags are digging in her forearm muscles, at least 5 bags hanging on each arm. She grinds her teeth as she drags her feet forward behind Hwasa, whose only burden is her handbag.

 

Still feeling sorry for herself, she zones out and does not notice when Hwasa suddenly halts. She runs into Hwasa's back, bouncing off the seemingly immovable wall.

 

"What? What is it now? See another shop?"

 

Ignoring the obvious sarcasm dripping in Moonbyul's tone, Hwasa focuses on something a distance ahead of her. "Moonbyul. Look ahead at your 1'o clock."

 

"Huh?" But still, she follows Hwasa's gaze to find what has caught the girl's eye.

 

Up ahead are a pair of guys, also looking their way. There's something questionable about their clearly ogling eyes. When they notice that Moonbyul has also looked their way, one nudges the other and they both begin walking towards the girls.

 

"." Hwasa curses some more under her breath as she turns around and avoids eyes contact with them.

 

"They're still coming this way."

 

"Damn it. Do you think we would be able to get away if we started walking now?"

 

"Nah."

 

"Should we run then?"

 

"They're 10 feet away."

 

Hwasa in a deep breath and prepares to put on her iest face ever to chase them away.

 

"Hwasa. I got this. Don't you remember what I do?" Moonbyul winks as she drops her many bags on the floor.

 

Then, she steps forward and slides one hand behind Hwasa's head, other around her back. Tiptoeing to match the high heeled girl, she tilts her head to the right and kisses her, right eye open to watch the pair of guys stumble to a halt, turn, and scurry the other way.

 

"There." Releasing her, Moonbyul rolls her shoulders and stretches her neck before bending down to pick up the bags once again. "They're gone."

 

"W-What are you doing?"

 

"My job?"

 

Hwasa slaps Moonbyul's arm before walking off in a huff away from her smug face.

 

 

---

5 hours later

 

"Oh my god. My legs are killing me." Moonbyul falls with a thump onto the park chair, relishing the evening breeze that is a refreshing change from the stuffiness of the mall.

 

"You should work out more."

 

"I already do."

 

"So weak."

 

"You're just a crazy shopping robot."

 

"And you're a ert who kisses girls out of nowhere."

 

"Arguing with you is mentally exhausting." Moonbyul exhales loudly through her nose, looking behind her at the road. "When is your taxi even coming?"

 

"You trying to get rid of me that fast? Excuse you, but who's the customer here?"

 

"Tsk."

 

"Maybe I ought to file a complaint to your company. Something about services not meeting up to expectations."

 

"You shouldn't bother them with something like that. They're busy enough dealing with complaints about the night employees."

 

Hwasa stares at the girl beside her, who merely shrugs.

 

"It's true. Our staff on that end has seriously dwindled. Maybe you're interested in a position? I have a feeling you'd be popular."

 

"You--"

 

"I mean as an office staff member. Obviously." Moonbyul dodges Hwasa's long nails that come clawing at her. "Oh, look! Your taxi's here!"

 

She helps Hwasa carry her bags to the yellow cab. As Hwasa settles herself in the backseat, buckling in her seatbelt, Moonbyul leans against the door frame, bending her body so that her face is level with Hwasa's.

 

"Had fun?"

 

"I guess."

 

"By the way," Moonbyul stands back up straight and releases her grip on the car, "you can make special requests at our company. For recurring customers. You just have to press 3 during the second choice. We only tell this to customers we like."


One corner of her lips pulled up in a smirk, she then closes the door and watches the taxi speed off.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

"Someone bailed last minute," whines Wheein into her phone. "Can't you come help, Hwasa?"

 

"I'm busy."

 

"Don't lie. I know you're just lying on your couch right now, watching TV. And probably eating chicken."

 

Wheein hears the clatter of a bowl against the table on the other end of the phone.

 

"I don't have the energy to go out today." Hwasa's slow drawl comes out of Wheein's phone speakers.

 

"But we're down a volunteer."

 

"I know. I'll find you someone in my place."

 

There is rustling and a brief period of silence.

 

"Hwasa. You still there?"

 

"Yeah, one sec. I'm texting you a number a right now. Just call the number, press 1, then press 3, and ask for someone named Moonbyul."

 

"Who is that?"

 

"A friend I met the other day."

 

"You sure she'll help?"

 

"Positive. Now let me get back to my movie."

 

Wheein hears a click as Hwasa hangs up and a buzz from the arrival of a new text message.

 

All right. Moonbyul, was it?

 

 

---

Wheein immediately goes to open her door when the doorbell rings.

 

"You must be Moonbyul." She tilts her head back to look up at the girl standing before her. "Hwasa told me about you. I'm her friend, Wheein."

 

"Hwasa did?" Moonbyul scratches her cheek with a finger, surprised. "That makes more sense then. I was wondering how I got requested."

 

"She said you're willing to help me out."

 

"With what?"

 

"Anything?"

 

"Shouldn't I be asking the questions?" Moonbyul sticks her hands in her back pockets, grinning as she her head and looks down at the younger girl. "After all you're the customer. And you should have the plans."

 

"I just wanted to make sure there's nothing you're against doing."

 

Moonbyul smiles fondly, her heart tingling at the adorable and innocent gaze Wheein sends her way. "That's sweet of you. But don't worry about it. We're able to do anything."

 

"Then, let's go!" Wheein picks up the backpack that's sitting by the shoe rack. She takes Moonbyul's hand with a wide smile, and pushes her out of the doorway into the hall, closing her apartment door behind her.

 

"W-What, w-wait, where are we going?" Moonbyul stumbles after Wheein, pulled along relentlessly by the hyper girl.

 

Wheein's words trail excitedly behind her. "You'll see!"

 

 

---

Moonbyul stands behind Wheein, staring in shock as a roaming cat rubs its head against her jeans and a large dog stands on its back legs to place its paws against the back of her jacket. She leans forward, shrugging her shoulders to get the dog's paws off, but then feels a strange pressure on her foot. There's a bunny sitting on top of her shoe.

 

"Wheein. Is this what you call a date?"

 

"Date? What do you mean?" Wheein turns toward her, a small, cute, sleepy puppy cupped in her arms. She giggles as it lazily nuzzles against the crook of her arm and lets out a small woof.

 

"Is that not why you called me? Didn't Hwasa--oomph," Moonbyul jiggles her foot and the bunny flops off, "--didn't she tell you about our company before you called?"

 

"She just told me she knew someone who'd be able to help me volunteer at the animal shelter." Wheein puts the now sleeping puppy down onto a chair and comes over to help Moonbyul, who's only managed to get rid of the bunny and is now hopping around on one foot, jerking the other to dislodge the claws the cat has dug into her pants.

 

"Volunteer? No, we're a dating agency."

 

"A what?"

"Didn't you listen to the operator when you called?" Moonbyul heaves a sigh of relief as she and the cat finally separate. She flicks off a bit of the fur that has clung onto her clothing, twisting her pant leg as she makes sure it hasn't left any lasting battle scars on the denim.

 

"Hwasa just told me to press 1, then 3, and then ask for you."

 

"That Hwasa...actually I'm not even surprised anymore." She runs her fingers through her hair, brushing it back into place after the tussle with the house pets have left it akin to a mop head. "She just does whatever she wants."

 

Wheein firmly nods her head. "That does sound like Hwasa."

 

"You two go way back?"

 

"We're childhood friends."

 

"You trust her?"

 

"Of course. Why?"

 

"No wonder you listened to her vague instructions and called some random number to meet some unknown person she didn't even tell you about."

 

Picking up the sleeping puppy once again, Wheein maneuvers through the room, careful not to accidentally step on any of the animals. "Should I be worried?"

 

"About me? What do you think about me?" Moonbyul follows behind her, much less agilely as her arms flail to keep her balance. Each step she takes, she nearly finds herself on the brink of falling over as the animals leap, roll, and sidestep into her path. She swears, the animals must be conspiring against her.

 

"You seem nice. And honest."

 

"Is that all?" Having escaped the room, Moonbyul rests to catch her breath, legs of the chair creaking at her sudden collapse onto the seat. "I am a complete stranger. Don't you think you're being a little too unguarded?"

 

"I have a keen eye for people." Wheein bounces on the balls of her feet in front of Moonbyul with a radiant smile. "I'm rarely wrong. What do you think about me then?"

 

"You?" Moonbyul rests an elbow on one of the chair's arm rests, fist settling against her cheek and bearing the weight of her tilted head up. "Well, I think you're a hyper and optimistic girl. I still believe you're too quick to trust. But I guess that innocence and naivety is sort of a charm of yours. How old are you?"

 

"I'm 21."

 

"No ing way!" In her shock, her head nearly slips off its resting place on her hand. "I had a hard enough time believing Hwasa when she told me she was 21 and 3 years younger than me. And now you're telling me you two are the same age?"

 

"A lot of people do seem surprised."

 

"That's because you look so small and young." Moonbyul lowers her voice as she mutters, "I was worried the cops would have stopped and questioned me on our way here when they saw me with you."

 

"What was that?"

 

"Nothing important." She leans back and appraises Wheein's face once more. "Now that I think about it, you're quite blessed with such a cute, angelic appearance." She reaches up with both hands, squishing the younger girl's cheeks delightedly. "I would have been happy about this agency request. If only you had called for the right reasons."

 

"You don't like being at the animal shelter volunteering with me?" Wheein's eyebrows scrunch together worriedly, lower lip stuck forward in a pout.

 

"A-Ah, n-no. I love it here! Of course I do!"

 

"I'm glad! Let's get on with the work then!" Wheein shoots her arms out, grabbing the lounging Moonbyul and pulls her to her feet.

 

Moonbyul wishes she has a better defense or a stronger tolerance against the endearing, sweet bubble of happiness that is Jung Wheein.

 

 

---

"You mean you've never brushed a dog before?"

 

Moonbyul stands in the middle of the room, brush in hand, utter confusion apparent in her stare towards Wheein.

 

Wheein's holding on with both hands to the collar of a large dog that seems ready to break free any moment.

 

Moonbyul thinks the dog's teeth are unusually sharp. And the dog itself looks unusually pissed.

 

"It's easy! Trust me!" Wheein smiles, ignoring that the dog's strength is slowly overcoming hers and dragging her heels along the flooring.

 

Moonbyul's sure the dog has just snarled at her while dragging Wheein her way.

 

"He's a little more excited than usual today. He must be excited to meet you, Moonbyul!"

 

Last time Moonbyul checked, excitement is a wagging tail or a panting tongue. Not two rows of white death, four particularly sharp dagger-like canines jutting out.

 

"Go ahead, you can start brushing." The younger girl kneels by the dog while she keeps a hold on the dog's collar.

 

It's far too loose a hold for Moonbyul's liking.

 

"Wheein. Isn't there a smaller dog to brush?"

 

"What's wrong with Ray? He's the one who needs brushing the most."

 

"He's bigger than you."

 

Indeed, when the two are side by side, Wheein's small stature dwarfs even more.

 

"He's a gentle big boy, aren't you, Ray," croons Wheein as she scratches him behind his ear.

 

The dog's eyes close happily at Wheein's touch, wet tongue flopping out and hanging as it relaxes against her hand.

 

Maybe it isn't so bad. Moonbyul inches forward, bending down to rest on her knees as well and gently lays the brush against the golden fur on Ray's torso.

 

Immediately, Moonbyul feels the dog's back muscles contract and hears the cease of his panting and the beginnings of what sounds like a low growl. Ray's head turns toward her, and its eyes are now wide open, eyeballs as white as the exposed teeth.

 

Oh .

 

In slow motion, Moonbyul sees Ray break free from Wheein's hold on his collar, front paws outstretched as it surges forward. Wheein is shrieking something inaudible as her hands grab at thin air rather than the escaped dog. Moonbyul shuffles backward on her and unsteadily manages to get back onto her feet. But before she can turn and run, she feels the two heavy paws of the dog punch into her stomach and its weight knocks her back down, her head smacking against the floor as she does so. The last thing she sees before she passes out is Ray hovering over her on all fours, thin drip of drool hanging by a thread right above her face. Great.

 

 

---

Moonbyul holds an ice pack to her head sulkingly as she waits on the park bench. With her other hand, she can feel the growing bump in the back and she winces as she presses down a bit too hard on the area.

 

Minutes later, Wheein returns, ice cream in each hand.

 

"Here. I got these from the ice cream truck down there." She unwraps one and hands it to Moonbyul.

 

"Mmm, thanks."

 

"Sorry about earlier. I didn't expect Ray to be so wild." Wheein bows her head as she nibbles on her bar. "I didn't mean for you to get hurt either."

 

Seeing the girl so down, Moonbyul can't help but feel her cheeks loosen from her sulk and scrunch up into a grin instead. Putting her ice pack down, she uses her free hand to tousle the top of Wheein's head tenderly. "It's all right. Accidents happen."

 

Wheein looks up slowly, forehead still creased in guilt, lips still trembling with another apology.

 

"I mean it. I'm fine. There's no need to be so worried!" Moonbyul uses her forefinger to force one corner of Wheein's lips upwards into a smile. She pops the end of her popsicle into and uses her other hand to bring the other end up too. Mumbling through her cold mouthful of sugary ice, she says, "Now that's better. Much more like you."

 

She is relieved to see the smile stay even as she releases her hands.

 

"You have such a cute dimple when you smile!" Biting her lower lip, Moonbyul playfully pokes at it, laughing at Wheein's stupefied expression.

 

Snapping out of her daze, Wheein swats Moonbyul's hand away, though halfheartedly.

 

"By the way, Moonbyul, what was that agency you mentioned earlier? The one you said you were from."

 

"Ah, the rent-a-date? It's exactly what it sounds like. We offer dating services. Well, that's we're supposed to be for. But with Hwasa, and now you, I guess we're more like a rent-a-friend now?"

 

"So you do this kind of stuff for anyone?" Wheein, finished with her ice cream bar, fiddles around with the wrapper, crinkling the plastic loudly between her fingers.

 

"I...guess so? I mean, for first time customers our staff literally picks a number out of a bag to decide who gets sent. So we never really know unless we get requested. To be honest, I haven't been working here that long."

 

"What do you guys usually do then? During your jobs?"

 

"Date-related stuff?" Moonbyul thinks for a while, biting off the last bit of her popsicle. "It really depends on what kind of person the customer is."

 

"What about me?"

 

Moonbyul turns to fully observe the girl next to her. "Maybe something like this?" She takes Wheein's shoulders and gently tugs to lay the girl's head down on her lap, rest of her body curled up along the length of the bench. With one hand, she plays with Wheein's hair, running her hands through and twirling strands between her fingers, while the other rests on Wheein's shoulders, altering between comforting rubbing and and rhythmic patting. In a deep, warm tone, she begins humming, beautiful melody of the love song perfectly accentuated by the pink and orange sunset in the horizon.

 

"This is nice." Wheein's voice tumbles out in a weak, but pleased tone. "If I had known, I should have asked for this instead of dragged you to the animal shelter."

 

"I would have preferred that too. Getting attacked by giant dogs isn't in my typical job description."

 

"I thought you would be tougher."

 

"Animals aren't my thing."

 

"You looked like a bad- first time I saw you. Who knew you'd be so terrified so easily."

 

Moonbyul quickly moves her hands to squeeze Wheein's cheek and tickle her in the side, causing the girl to squirm around on her lap while laughing.

 

"You deserved that." Moonbyul looks down at Wheein's out of breath and flushed face that is now facing upwards, and smugly raises her eyebrows.

 

They stay silent for a while as they watch the sun slowly set over the mountains.


 

---

"Am I just a job?" asks Wheein suddenly, with a straight face.

 

"Don't be like that, Wheein." Moonbyul stares at the darkening sky as she searches for her next words. "I've enjoyed this chance to get to know you. Relationships...well real relationships don't work out too well for me."

 

Wheein knows about messy relationships. She's seen Hwasa chase away any guy that comes near her, or seen them just run away of their own accord. Solar and her stalker ex is a horror story in itself. She's had to stop herself from making stupidly spontaneous relationship decisions at times.

 

"So things like these are better for me." Moonbyul's red-tinted hair reflects the artifical lights from the lampposts as they slowly turn on one by one down the street. "No strings attached. That's what our rules are. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear. But I never regard anyone as just a job. I'm honest with how I treat people."

 

"I know. I told you, right?" Wheein reaches up and tickles Moonbyul under her chin. "I read people well. Sing me one more song before we go?"

 

Nodding, Moonbyul's voice soon echoes in the gradually emptying park.