Remember Her

Getting it Fixed

*As a mafia boss, Wheein tries to make her secret relationship with Moonbyul work.  (Wheebyul)

 


 

They say at times like these, one has all the time in the world to remember





 

Remember her


 

Ebony black hair cascaded down her back, bouncing lightly in the breezy evening air as the girl stepped out of the tinted sedan. After exchanging a few, brief words with her driver, she eased the door shut and watch the car roll out of the curved road before turning her attention to the 50 story hotel beside her.

 

She gave a curt nod to the guards stationed in front of the polished glass doors and they bowed stiffly before standing aside. When the well oiled doors silently swung closed behind her receding back, the guards visibly relaxed, arms once again hanging loosely by their sides as their playful banter with each other restarted to pass the long monotonous night of security duty.

 

It was always the same. Moonbyul stubbed out the remains of her joint onto the balcony railing as she watched the events happening below her. A crooked grin took over her pale lips when the girl disappeared into the building. She was here. And that meant Moonbyul’s break was over.

 

Moonbyul hurried back down the stairs to the lower grounds of the hotel, where the serenity of the main floor that greeted new visitors vanished into the raucous laughter of tipsy guests who threw their chips in waves onto the tables of green felt. A hazy smoke hung over the clinking of the rows of machines that in more money than spat out. Wild electronic music echoed from a distant, dark corner of the establishment, where the few neon, strobing lights hid more than a wandering hand or a flushed face.

 

“Moonbyul. Take table 3.” A coworker passed by, footsteps muffled on the carpeted flooring.

 

Moonbyul nodded and went to her spot while adjusting her black vest and rolling up her white sleeves.

 

Her eyes flitted around the floor as she dealt the cards, well greased smile a permanent addition to her sharp features as she entertained the guests sitting before her.

 

There. Moonbyul’s hand nearly slipped and dropped the card when the figure of a girl in a fitted long coat strode across the floor in the corner of her vision. Flanked by two imposing guards, she entered a hallway leading to the vip rooms.

 

Wheein’s here. A wide grin spread across her face as Moonbyul began shuffling her deck once again.





 

Remember the sight of her


 

Moonbyul bowed as she entered the VIP room, eyes roaming over the two seated individuals and multitude of guards situated throughout the room. Her gaze lingered on the girl who let recognition flash across her eyes for the briefest moment before steeling once again.

 

“The dealer’s here. Let us begin then?” Wheein gestured towards the table after Moonbyul had settled into place.

 

“She’s one of yours? How do I know she won’t cheat me?” A smooth bass rumbled out of the man beside her. His hair was slicked to the side and an angular jaw accentuated his pursed lips of suspicion.

 

“I assure you, sir. Even though Miss Jung may be my employer,” Moonbyul’s eyes flickered towards the girl, “at the table, all are treated equal. I would never taint my job.”

 

“You better not.” He took his seat, confidence in every poised muscle of his straightened back.

 

Moonbyul saw the faint ink peek out from his partially ed dress shirt, creeping over his collarbones in a familiar shape. That, along with the conspicuous bulges along the waistlines of the men in the room made Moonbyul realize that indeed, she better not try anything.

 

Wheein tossed the tresses of her hair back over her shoulder as she sat down next to the man. A guard came up behind her, hands out to receive the large jacket she shrugged off her shoulders.

 

Moonbyul could barely keep her hands steady shuffling as Wheein’s cocktail dress came into view. The dress, as dark as Wheein’s hair, stood in sharp contrast to her pale skin. However, as Moonbyul’s eyes roamed over the girl’s body, she could barely tell where one started and the other began, from how tightly it hugged her curves. A fleeting smirk rose on Wheein’s face as she noticed Moonbyul’s unwavering eyes of desire.

 

If only the man wasn’t also looking at her with such unrestrained lust.

 

Nearly throwing the deck against his arrogant face, Moonbyul coughed loudly to regain their attention. Her features froze again in professionalism. “What will you play for today, sir and ma’am?”

 

“Don’t you think we ought to move on from things such as petty colored chips?” Wheein rested her head on her clasped fingers, turning towards the man. “We can be a little more wild. A little more daring. What do you say?”

 

He tore his eyes from her body. “D-Daring?”

 

Wheein let a soft chuckle escape her ruby lips as she ran her fingers through her hair, brushing it to the side. She uncrossed her legs and two pairs of eyes followed the movement as they smoothly recrossed, already short end of her dress riding up even higher.

 

“Yes. Daring. Perhaps territory?”

 

“S-Sure. A-Anything.”

 

Nodding in satisfaction, Wheein turned towards Moonbyul to start the game.

 

But the dealer did not return her small smile of victory and dealt the cards mechanically.





 

Remember her voice, the taste of her lips


 

The clacking of her familiar stilettos reverberated in the chilly, air conditioned restroom. They came to a stop on the marbled floor in front of the sink and the ensuing rain of water washed over her extended hands, cut into trickling droplets before swirling noisily into the the drain.

 

At the end of the row of bathroom stalls, a metal lock clanged as it slid left, and the door swung open, letting a swift gush of air into the room. Clipped footsteps drew near to the girl at the sink, who let one of her hands slide subtly into her thick jacket while the other maintained the sensor and the stream of water from the faucet.

 

When the footsteps stopped behind her, she whipped around, pulling out a small serrated blade, ready to take on whoever had come after her this time.

 

However, before her swinging arm plunged the blade into flesh, the knife dropped from her loosened grip and fell, wooden handle pattering against the floor.

 

“Moonbyul.” The girl in her breath, frayed nerves complicating her attempt to settle her pounding heart.

 

“Wheein. Baby.” Moonbyul tilted her head, looking ruefully at the blade which had landed right by her foot. “I was expecting a passionate greeting, but this was a bit too much.” She nudged her foot, and the blade scraped against the floor.

 

“Moonbyul! Damn it! How many times have I told you not to sneak up on me?” Wheein’s pitch escalated. “You realize that I have enem--”

 

Moonbyul lunged forward, hand cupped over the girl’s lips to silence her. “Don’t shout. Or your guards are going to come storming in here as always and I’m going to have to run and hide in the stalls. Again.”

 

She waited until the fire in Wheein’s eyes dimmed before gently removing her hand. Her leather shoes scuffed against the floor as she stepped forward, hands falling against the counter on either side of Wheein.

 

“You’re trapped.” A lazy smirk surfaced on her face as Moonbyul let her body fall even closer to Wheein’s, one leg gently easing in between the two heel-adorned ones. “What now, miss ‘Daughter of the Mafia’?”

 

“Don’t call me that.”

 

“Don’t pout.”

 

“Don’t make me mad then.”

 

Moonbyul rolled her eyes. “But shouldn’t I be the angry one?” She clicked her tongue as she brought her face dangerously near. “You didn’t even bother looking my way earlier. Too busy flirting with that guy.”

 

“It was a meeting.”

 

“Was that man more important than me?” Her breath glided over the milky skin of Wheein’s neck, eliciting a honeyed moan in between quickening gasps of air. “But don’t you know how much I’ve missed you?”

 

“I-I can’t just ditch my work.” Wheein closed her eyes and raised her hand to gently rest against Moonbyul’s cheek, heat pulsing through the chilled skin.

 

“Did you drink?” Moonbyul nibbled on Wheein’s lip, and the lipstick rubbed off slightly as parted in response. “I can taste the alcohol.”

 

“Just a bit. He was a bit upset after losing and alcohol was the only way to pacify him.” She leaned hungrily into Moonbyul’s embrace, finally letting the liquor seep into her system and allowed it free reign over her actions. “I want you so much.”

 

“It didn’t seem like it back in the room.”

 

Wheein bit Moonbyul’s lip in return.

 

“Ouch!” Moonbyul jerked her head back, tongue tracing a thin line over the now bruised skin. “Why-”

 

“Who’s pouting now?”

 

“Sly.” Moonbyul chuckled. “What a fox, even in your family business. No wonder they don’t stand a chance.”

 

“They’re all fools.” Wheein’s hands fumbled with Moonbyul’s buttons, heart pounding uncontrollably from either the alcohol or the heated, uninterrupted kiss that pressed her against her counter. Truly trapped.

 

When they finally broke apart for air, Moonbyul Wheein’s cheek with a finger, curves of stretched in fondness as she looked down at the girl’s glazed eyes.

 

“So. Are you free tonight?”

 

“Um.” Wheein shook her head, both clearing her mind and refusing Moonbyul’s question. “I’m sorry. Family work.”

 

Moonbyul’s gentle caress disappeared. “Again?”

 

“I don’t really get free time.”

 

“All I’ve ever wanted was one night. You can’t even stay over at my place for a single night because of work.”

 

“We meet at the hotel.”

 

“It’s not the same.”

 

“Moonbyul-”

 

“These moments are the only time I get to hear your voice! Is this all we’ll ever be? Just a pair of lovers hiding away in stolen moments that end as soon as they begin?” Moonbyul’s smooth voice turned husky and raw with emotion as she pulled away from Wheein. Both could feel the brunt of the blast of cold air-conditioning weave between the two.

 

Wheein felt the distance between them reignite a slow ache within her heart. A lump of unease traveled down as her eyes struggled to hold on to Moonbyul’s attention. “I promised you. We can almost be together.”

 

“Almost isn’t enough.” Moonbyul let her gaze drop to the floor, her shoe scraping the blade agitatedly along the floor. “Have you ever wondered why whenever we meet, we almost always end up fighting?”

 

They both knew Wheein didn’t need to ask. The silence echoed within the cold tiles.

 

“I want us to work, Wheein. But is it too much of me to also want the little things?” She laughed, but there was no joy, nor hope within her voice. “I want to be able to spend time with you without your phone going off every few minutes calling you back to work. I want your voice to be the one to sing me to sleep at night. I want your whispers of ‘‘I love you’s’ to be the alarm I wake up to in the morning.”

 

“I love you, Moonbyul. I really do.” Wheein stretched her arms out, the pleading within her voice evident as she frantically pulled Moonbyul towards her. To land a rushed, desperate kiss on those lips Wheein felt were unyielding and unresponsive. To quench the rising unease within her that whispered poisonous thoughts of Moonbyul leaving.

 

But then her phone rang.

 

Wheein heard the whir of the fans, cold hitting her bare arms as Moonbyul pulled away again.

 

“No-”

 

“Take it, Wheein. It’s work. I should go back to work too.” Moonbyul paused with her hand on the door handle. “Don’t forget to wear a jacket. It’s a cold night.”

 

Wheein clutched her phone tightly in her hand, the incessant ring from the speakers drowning any words she couldn’t even speak before the door slid shut behind Moonbyul.





 

Remember her touch, her scent


 

Moonbyul let out a sigh of relief when the clock hand turned 3. It had been a long night of work and she sorely missed the comfort of her small apartment bed that was surely waiting for her return.

 

After grabbing her belongings from her locker in the staff room, she stumbled out into the chilling night, blowing on her hands to warm them up before shoving them deep into her pockets.

 

I could use a warm drink. Maybe I ought to have taken a shot or two at the bar before leaving. She groaned, feeling the temperature drop another few degrees and pierce through the jacket as she stood there unmoving.

 

it. She willed her legs forward. If only she hadn't had to stand stiff for 8 hours, her trip back would not be as painful as it was now, the deadened lumps of what used to be feet dragging along the ground.

 

When I get back, a beer. And some noodles. Moonbyul mouth began salivating at the mere thought of her upcoming meal, growling of her famished stomach a warm distraction from the icy wind cutting into her exposed face.

 

She passed by a 24 hr mart. She briefly entertained the notion of entering for respite from the cold, but thought better of it. She was nearly at home anyways.

 

As she turned the corner onto a dimly lit street, she saw a small, crouched, shivering figure. For some reason, the girl was wearing nothing other than a black dress...

 

Moonbyuls eyes bulged as she hurried to the girl's side. "Wheein?" The girl looked up,  icicles forming on arms so pale they looked  bloodless. Moonbyul lay her hand on Wheein's arm, muffled gasp escaping as she felt the temperature difference numb her already cold palms. She quickly tore her jacket off and wrapped it around wheein.

 

"H-Hey." Wheein forced a smile through her chattering teeth. "I-i'm glad you're here -"

 

"What the hell were you thinking?" growled Moonbyul as she clasped her hands over Wheein's frozen cheeks, hoping to bring some life back to her complexion. "Where are your guards? Why are you here? How long have you been out here?"

 

"I-I'm sorry I didn't bring a jacket."

 

"What?"

 

"You told me to." Wheein's shivers slowly began to subside as she leaned into Moonbyul's arms. "I'm sorry. I should have listened to you--"

 

"That's completely off topic! And you didn't answer any of my questions!" Rage and worry washed over her. "Wheein, why were you hiding here without your guards -"

 

"Your jacket smells like you."

 

Moonbyul didn't know what to say. Did Wheein not realize her situation? She watched mutely as Wheein pulled the collars of her jacket up to cover her neck and raise a sleeved arm to sniff the leather.

 

"It smells like your cigarettes." She crinkled her nose as she stared accusingly at Moonbyul. "I thought you said you'd quit."

 

"I tried."

 

Wheein slipped her hands into the pockets and came up with a half empty pack. "Really, now? Moonbyul--"

 

"Wait, why are we complaining about me right now?" Moonbyul snatched the pack from Wheein's hands and stuffed it in her vest pocket. "You need some explaining to do yourself."

 

"There's not much to explain."

 

"I'm sure scantily dressed girls in dark roads on a -4 degree night are a dime a dozen "

 

"I wanted to see you." Wheein's eyes held no trace of mockery. "I was going to surprise you at your place. But then I didn't remember where you lived so I had to wait for you and hope you'd pass by on your way back."

 

"You could have just called me."

 

"I-I didn't think I could. I didn't know if you would answer." Her lower lip trembled, but not from the cold. "I needed to make up with you."

 

Moonbyul sighed, tugging the girl closer to her to share their body warmth. "At least you could have brought one of your guards along. As much as I hate those obnoxious thugs, I'd be less worried knowing that you'd be safe."

 

Wheein picked at a stray thread in her dress.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"I didn't tell my guards."

 

"What --" Moonbyul held her head with one hand, feeling the pulse of a headache rising. "Didn't you have work? They'll be all over the city looking for you!"

 

"I ditched work." Wheein grasped Moonbyul's hands under sleeves that were far too long for her. "L-Let me stay over tonight?"

 

Moonbyul narrowed her eyes. "Wheein are you alright?"

 

"Yes. Why?"

 

"You're sounding a bit strange. You’re usually a lot more work-driven."

 

Wheein's smile faltered as the blunt truth pierced through her chest. What was even worse was the genuine confusion and worry across Moonbyul's face. Had she really been this terrible and neglectful of a girlfriend that even a mere wish to stay brought up immediate disbelief?

 

"It's alright. The cold gets to everyone's head." Moonbyul gave her a tender, understanding smile as she pulled Wheein to her feet, misunderstanding her silence. Tugging the girl close, she said, "It's cold out. You can come over and wait at my place while you wait for your guards to come."

 

However, when Wheein's feet refused to budge, Moonbyul frowned and turned to face her.

 

"No."

 

"Wheein, it isn't the time to play--"

 

"I'm not calling my guards. Is it that hard to believe? That I want to stay with you?"

 

"No! Of course not. I want you to stay with me too. But I know you. And your sense of duty. I don't want you to do something you end up regretting."

 

"One night. Just one night with you, and me. Not a mafia heir and one of her casino dealers."

 

Moonbyul cupped Wheein's chin, feeling the girl shiver under her touch. But the eyes that stared back at her were resolute. "I know I've asked before. But won't you run away with me? So we can have more than one night. Maybe even a normal lifetime together."

 

"We both know my work is something that follows no matter where I go. I'm just thankful that you aren't caught up in this world of mine." She nuzzled her face into the crook of Moonbyul's neck, breathing in the faint remnants of the lavender she always wore. The same one Moonbyul had gifted her on their 100th day and the one whose scent lulled her to sleep, washing away the worries that plagued her mind daily.

 

"I wouldn't mind. For you."

 

"No. I won't allow it." Her gaze turned stern as she looked down at Moonbyul from the top step of the stairs leading to her apartment. "Don't even joke about that."

 

"Yes ma'am." The corner of Moonbyul's mouth quirked upwards as she held open her door. "So demanding as always."

 

"But you love me."

 

"Yes. I do."

 

 


 

Remember that she is safe

 

The beeping of the monitor was a steady constant in the whitewashed room.

 

On the bedside table stood the wilting leaves of lavender blossoms, tabletop blanketed with already fallen petals. A fresh pack of cigarettes lay unopened by the vase.

 

Wheein sat on the chair beside the bed.

 

Winter was already over. But the nights she spent waiting here were as cold as the one that night. And her heart was as frozen as the lifeless expression that had remained unchanging on her face for months now.

 

She waited, as she had done day by day, staring at the peaceful expression of the one lying under the white sheets of the hospital bed.

 

Waiting for Moonbyul to wake up.

 

And hoping that she wouldn't hate her after finding the healed scars on her back hidden by a newly inked pair of coiling dragons.

 

Dragging her into her world.


Remember that you love her