Chapter 9

Into His Eyes

Taemin's P.O.V.

I follow Kai into the apartment where I will probably stay at for a few days, maybe even weeks. Or at least, I hope they will be okay with that. 

I don't have time to prepare myself before Kai unlocks the door and walks in. The smell of homemade cooking catches the aroma of the room and all I can see is light from the kitchen frame escaping into the dark living room. 

I watch as Kai walks into the kitchen, almost instinctively. I hear a few greetings coming from the kitchen, as well as a few kissing noises. I walk over to the frame that leads into the kitchen when I see Kai hugging Kyungsoo from behind while Kyungsoo is out of view at the stove, stirring something. 

After a while, no one notices me until Kyungsoo seems like he found a break in stirring for he turned around and fully hugged Kai with his eyes closed and a warm smile that makes even my heart flutter. 

They still don't notice me so I keep my eyes busy with the cute cartoon bear magnets on the fridge when I hear a gasp. I look over at Kyungsoo and see him retreating from their hug and staring at me in shock. 

I feel too embarrassed to say anything and I stare at my feet as I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks. I could see Kai shift to look at me and explains to Kyungsoo.

"Taemin has been having a problem with the person he was temporarily living with so he needs a place to stay. Trust me, it's not at all what you think," Kai says as he looks at Kyungsoo's confused expression. 

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything and so I take a peek at Kyungsoo to see him nod with his eyebrows furrowed in thought. 

After a while of silence between us, I feel a spark of confidence as I lift my head and clear my throat loudly. Kyungsoo has his head down as well, but looks up in shock to see my quick movements. 

"Kyungsoo, I know with how everything has been going lately, you might think of me as a bad person but I assure you that my intentions aren't bad. I've fallen for my flatmate and it's been hard to say the least. I just need a place to stay until I can figure it out," I explain, my voice not wavering for a second. 

"His friend called me to see how he was doing and he was really upset so I offered him a place to stay. Is that okay? We agreed that if you feel uncomfortable, he doesn't have to stay," Kai was quick to add. I just nodded at his comment.

There was silence as we both awaited his reaction. His face was unreadable until I could see the edges of his lips creep into a small smile to with that, he nodded. My mouth was agape because I was not expecting that. 

"It's okay, I don't mind and I understand how hard it can be. Stay as long as you need," Kyungsoo says reassuringly. I could see in his calm demeanor the insecurities and his doubt. No matter what, I want him to be comfortable in this whole situation. I promise myself that I will make him believe my feelings for Kai are nonexistent. 

Even just the thought of having feelings for Kai have me thinking back to Minho. That was probably the longest I've went so far without thinking about him, about our situation.

Kyungsoo quickly gets back to cooking because Kai pointed out that it might burn. Kai lead me into the spare room and took out the clean sheets to set my bed. 

"So I see everything is okay with Kyungsoo now. That's good," I start up. I am happy to see Kai and Kyungsoo happy with each other. 

"Yeah, everything is great. After the whole-you know-we made up and started to live together. I always knew he was a good cook, but man can he make some mean ramen. I start to realize how good he was at everything, especially when he sings in the shower which he claims he doesn't do but I just sit in front of the door to listen to him-"

Kai goes on and on about Kyungsoo without stopping and I find myself tuning him out. I nod every time he pauses slightly but with all this talk of romance, I still can't get Minho's dazzling smile out of my head. Everything reminds me of him and even just breathing reminds me of the way he huffs when I tell him a cheesy joke. 

My thoughts get interrupted at I see fingers snapping in front of my face. I quickly blink and look at Kai to see his lips moving. "What?" I ask.

"I said are you okay?" Kai repeats with a concerned expression. 

"Yeah, sorry," I say and look back at the sheet I was unfolding and I threw it on the bed. I can feel Kai still staring at me questioningly but he sighs and continues to put a case on the pillows. 

We hear a yell moments later from the kitchen saying that the food's ready so we rush out the room and to the dining room. We look and see it empty so we both peak around the frame to see Kyungsoo pointing to the plates without looking from the pot, still stirring it. 

Kai and I huff simultaneously but we reluctantly set the table anyways. Once the food is actually ready, Kai helps Kyungsoo grab the pot with the beef stew and we sit down with Kyungsoo at the end of the long table. Me and Kai on either side of him, facing each other. 

Kai and Kyungsoo start to get into conversation easily while they both try to include me, but I am just happy to be here. I can still see the doubt in Kyungsoo's eyes when he looks at me but I just smile reassuringly at him, making sure that every time he looks at me, I am looking at him and not Kai. 

Kai was right, Kyungsoo is an amazing cook, I think as I enjoy the stew. I tell him it's the best stew I've ever had and he has the biggest smile on his face in appreciation. He thanks me and later into the conversation, I say one of my jokes to lighten the mood even more and with that, Kyungsoo gives me a gummy laugh that makes my heart race. 

Me and Kyungsoo go into conversation more while Kai stays silent for most of the conversation. I look over to him to see if he's alright, but I just see him with a bright and genuine smile as he looks between us, to which, I smile back.