Chapter 2

Little Kittens

Youngjae threw his backpack on his bed, sighing deeply. Calculus had been terrible. He had been paired up with Eunji for a project over limits. Eunji had been stuck to him the entire period, her hands constantly up his arms. He massaged his temples, he really needed to talk to his professor and switch partners. At least he was able to meet Jongup. The cute kitten was the opposite to Junhong: calm, serene and sassy. The only time he seemed excited was when Junhong asked him to dance. Then Jongup changed into a confident kitten. Youngjae thought he was cute when he cuddled up to Youngjae, purring into his cheek. Now he definitely wanted a kitten for himself. 

As he was coming inside, he spotted Soohyun trying to hide his birthday presents. He smiled from how big her pile had been before they were stashed in her room, which was a smart idea. Youngjae wouldn't go into her room at all since the time he caught her making out with Choi Minho, a guy who had been their neighbor before he moved 30 minutes away. He tried to respect her privacy from now on.

Youngjae fell onto his bed and stretched out his muscles. As he waited for dinner to be made, he went back to looking up stuff for his soon to be Little Kitten. He looked up tips and advice for how to raise a kitten, nodding at the cute advice he saw. He wondered how his cute kitten would be. He knew his noona would get him a boy kitten since taking care of a girl was going to be hard work. Would he be exciting or shy? Youngjae preferred that his kitten had dark fur but as long as he was cute, it wouldn't matter.

He got a text from Yongguk, a picture of him and new Little Kitten. Youngjae laughed at the pouty face Yongguk's kitten was making and how smug Yongguk looked. 

[What's his name hyung?]

Youngjae waited for Yongguk to text back, thinking about if he had any homework to do. A small chime brought him out of his thoughts.

[Himchan. Isn't he cute? He's such a bossy diva.]

Himchan was a nice name for the Little Kitten. He had black hair and was sitting on Yongguk's shoulder, wearing a black shirt and small jeans. He knew that Yongguk wouldn't let him out of his sight. 

[He looks annoyed, what did you do?]

Youngjae heard his mother calling him and he took in a deep breath, mouth watering at the smell of meat. What did she make, he wondered as he went downstairs and claimed a chair to the left of his noona. He watched his mother put the side dishes on the table, the kimchi right next to Youngjae since he loved the sour taste of kimchi. His mother gave each of them a bowl of rice and a small fish, putting their main course, a plate of bulgogi, in the middle. Youngjae loved bulgogi, the meaty taste never failed to make his mouth water. He grabbed a small piece and dipped in sauce, wrapping it into lettuce and stuffing his face. The sweet taste of bulgogi and the spicy sauce, mixed with the fresh lettuce, was so satisfying after the day he had. He quickly demolished his dinner, picking and taking from every side dish. His fish was soon just bones and he had three bowls of rice. He leaned back into his chair, from his full belly, rubbing his tummy. 

“That was delicious mom.”

His mother smiled, “Thank you dear but did you leave room for dessert?”

Youngjae groaned at the thought of dessert, “I'm so full. What did you make fore dessert?”

His father chuckled, “She made cherry pie.”

Youngjae whined, he loved pie but he was just so full. He waved his hands at his mother, “I can't do it. Save me a piece.”

His mother laughed, “I'll try but you know how Soohyun is. You'll be lucky if she doesn't finish it tonight.”

Soohyun frowned, “I'm not that bad. Besides I prefer ice cream.”

Youngjae collected his plates and put them in the sink, kissing his mother on his way back to his room. He shoved his backpack to the floor and looked at his phone, seeing he had a text from Yongguk.

[I only a bit. He's so sensitive haha]

Youngjae smiled, his hyung was to evil sometimes. He nuzzled into his pillow, happy that it was Friday night and that he didn't have school tomorrow. He looked at his clock and sighed, he had to shower and leave soon. On Fridays, he and Jaebum usually went out and had study sessions with other classmates and this time he really needed to since there was a test coming up. He took off his shirt, throwing it into his hamper before doing the same to his jeans. He went into his bathroom and started his shower, taking off his underwear as the water was warming up. 

He thought about what they were going to study this time, wondering if he needed to bring his notes. He heard his phone ring from his bed, the ringtone was Jaebum's favorite song, Just Right. Youngjae finished up his shower and grabbed the towel that was next to his sink. He walked to his bed and dried off his hands before answering the call. 

“Hello?”

“Jae, we're canceling the study session. Jongin and Sehun have dance practice and Taemin has to go visit his mother in the hospital.”

Youngjae frowned, “What about Changhyun and Hongbin?”

“Changhyun has a date with Jonghyun and Hongbin is studying with Hakyeon for their exam.”

Youngjae sighed, he had showered for nothing. He sat down on his bed and put Jaebum on speaker as he toweled himself off. 

“What are you going to do then? Hang out with Hakyeon and Hongbin?”

He heard Jaebum chuckle, “I'm taking care of Hakyeon's Little Kitten. His name is Jimin and he's so rebellious. He wants to explore everything and touch everything. I'm in love with him haha.”

Youngjae dug through his dresser for a pair of briefs. “You just love outgoing people, don't you? How's his voice? Is he like Jaehwan?”

“His voice is like chocolate Jae. It's adorable.”

Youngjae found a nice black pair of briefs and slipped into them. “You're acting as if he was your son bro. How creepy.”

“I am totally his dad now so shush. So what are you going to do with your free time? Homework?” 

Youngjae snorted and slipped on a blue shirt and white pajama pants. “I am going to lazy around since tomorrow I'm going to do some shopping.”

“Shopping for what?”

Youngjae grabbed his laptop, a battered old hunk of junk and powered it on. “I'm going to window shop for Little Kitten supplies. Stuff that my noona won't choose for me like clothes. She knows I have my own style.”

“What if she doesn't get you a kitten?”

Youngjae hummed, “Then after my birthday, I'll just go out and buy one. It's no big deal. Now I'm about to immerse myself with virtual whooping so I'll talk to you later?”

“Yeah sure, later.”

Youngjae put his phone down and double clicked a shortcut on his computer, bringing up a korean fighter game. He played for a bit before getting out of the game and roaming the internet for a while. He read gossip about his favorite bands, wincing at the dating scandal between Lee Hi and G. Dragon. He scrolled through Naver, reading about the politics and environment before he got bored and switched to searching for inspiration for drawing. He went to Tumblr and just browsed around. He bit his lip before typing into the search bar “Little Kitten”. He felt a bit weird for really getting obsessed about Little Kittens but he knew he would cool down once he got once. He cooed over all the kittens who's owners had them cosplay. He made a mental note to buy some cosplay outfits, thoughts disturbed as someone knocked on his door. 

“Open.”

Soohyun came through his door, smiling at the sight of Youngjae looking so cute. 

“Hey, just wondering what flavor cake you wanted?”

Youngjae looked at her, “Chocolate. You know how I like it.”

Soohyun nodded and sat down on Youngjae's bed, “Chocolate overdose. Got it. So my friend got herself a Little Kitten. Her name is Sunny, look how cute she is.”

Youngjae looked at Soohyun's phone. Sunny was cute. She had soft blond hair and almond shaped eyes. 

“Cute.”

Soohyun eyed Youngjae, “What do you think about Little Kittens? Would you want one?”

Youngjae realized where this conversation was going.

“Yeah I want one. They are really cute.”

Soohyun smiled, “Cool cool. Anyways I have to order your cake. Night night.”

Youngjae hid his smile from Soohyun as she left, only bursting into laughter when his door closed. She was totally going to buy him a Little Kitten tomorrow, which meant he might get a sneak peek early. He just had to play it cool and up to his noona, maybe even bribe her with booze. He closed his laptop without shutting it down, not really in the mood to be on it anymore. He put his laptop on his desk and put his phone to charge, grabbing a book that he was currently reading. He tuck himself in, dimming his lights and opening his book to there he had ear-marked the page. 

Youngjae's loved romance novels. The idea of true love was something that fascinated him. Youngjae had plenty of admirers and many confessions but nobody really intrigued him. Sure he had dated around but none last long. His last girlfriend (Youngjae was bi) has a young girl named Minah. She was cute and bubbly but she had cheated on him with another guy named Jonghyun. He hadn't been too hurt since he hadn't been to attached to her. And his last boyfriend was a guy named Yonghwa, which had been a mistake. He has too pushy and annoying, always groping Youngjae at every moment. Youngjae had gladly broken his heart at the first chance he got. 

Youngjae's ideal partner was a handsome man, with an amazing husky voice and strong figure. He knew some people who were close to his ideal image of a partner but their personalities were . Like Siwon, who was a complete religious guy but too much for Youngjae. Taekwoon was hot too but Youngjae felt like he couldn't really talk to him and break that cold personality he had. Too much work. He wanted someone sassy and independent but at the same time, someone who could be clingy and possessive. So far no dice on finding that perfect someone. 

His eyes grew tired from reading, so he put his book to the side and rubbed his eyes. He turned off his lights and grabbed his phone, mindful of the charging cable. He opened a text from Jaebum, rolling his eyes at the cheesy picture of him, Hakyeon and Jimin. They looked good as a “family”. He answered a couple of other texts from classmates, answering their questions about upcoming homework that was due before locking his phone. It was only 9 but Youngjae was tired, his muscles finally getting to relax fully. He closed his eyes and hummed to himself, lulling himself to sleep.